Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Amid Al-Halbousi and Al-Barzani’s objection .. Source: Allawi will announce his booth next week, short of three bags

blueskyline

https://www.almaalomah.com/2020/02/27/458659/.....

main-logo2.png

Al-Fateh: We are still supporting the Allawi government and postponing the session will resolve the differences

19:56 - 27/02/2020

%D8%AD%D9%86%D9%8A%D9%86-%D9%82%D8%AF%D9

Information / private ...

The Al-Fateh Alliance announced on Thursday its support for the government of Prime Minister-designate Muhammad Tawfiq Allawi and his cabinet, while postponing today's session was considered a positive matter for resolving political disputes.

"The postponement of today's meeting took place with a political agreement not to derail the session of granting confidence and achieving political consensus to resolve disputes," said MP Haneen Qaddo in a statement to "Information", pointing out that "the Al-Fateh meeting stressed the need to support the Allawi government."

He added that "the House of Representatives will pass the Allawi government during a session next Saturday," noting that "the conquest is still supportive of the Allawi government and its cabinet, and there is no option to withdraw the support so far."

The Presidency of the Council of Representatives has postponed, today, Thursday, the session of giving confidence to the government of Prime Minister-designate Muhammad Tawfiq Allawi for next Saturday. T 25 is over

• Haha 3

Iraqi Parliament Postpones Vote on New Government Again

Basnews English 27/02/2020 - 16:22 Published in Iraq
Iraqi Parliament Postpones Vote on New Government Again

ERBIL — Iraq’s parliament has postponed a session set to vote on the new cabinet proposed by Prime Minister-designate Mohammed Allawi.

According to media reports, Parliament Speaker Mohammed al-Halbousi has prosed the vote for 1st March.

It comes amid differences between main political factions who disagree on Allawi’s cabinet lineup and the agenda of his future government.

A source from within the parliament said the speaker hopes the delay would give the disputed sides time to find common ground before the vote.

The main sides who are concerned about Allawi’s proposed cabinet are the Sunnis and Kurds. They criticised the mechanism of selecting ministers for the new government, believing that it violates the principles of political partnership and balance in Iraq.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

COUNCIL OF REPRESENTATIVES POSTPONES SESSION ON NEW CABINET, AFTER OPPOSITION FROM KURDISH, SUNNI BLOCS

Approaching constitutional deadline
Council of Representatives building in Baghdad (File Photo)

3 Hours ago 

http://www.nrttv.com/En/News.aspx?id=19789&MapID=2

SULAIMANI — The Council of Representatives postponed a scheduled session on Thursday (February 27) where Prime Minister-designate Mohammed Tawfiq Allawi had been expected to present his cabinet for approval.

The Kurdish and Sunni blocs have been opposed to Allawi’s approach to government formation, saying that they wanted final approval over any ministers from their communities. Allawi had sought a free hand to propose ministers without input from the parties.

The session was supposed to have begun at 1 p.m., but was abandoned in the middle of the afternoon when it became clear that there was no quorum to hold votes. Parliamentary sources have indicated that the rescheduled session is likely to take place on Sunday.

Constitutionally, Allawi now has until the beginning of next week to have his cabinet approved or someone else must be designated to form a government.

When the prime minister-designate arrived at the parliament building, he was greeted by First Deputy Speaker Hassan al-Kaabi, rather than Speaker Mohammed al-Halbusi.

(NRT Digital Media)

• Thanks 1

Iraq par't postpones vote on Allawi's government over lack of quorum

1991191-1552157342

Iraq's parliament on Thursday adjourned a session to approve a new cabinet proposed by Prime Minister-designated Mohammed Allawi, state television reported.

It said the parliament had failed to convene a quorum as many lawmakers unhappy with Allawi's ministerial nominees boycotted the session.

The delay prolongs political deadlock after mass anti-government protests forced the resignation of former Prime Minister Adel Abdul Mahdi in November. He remains in a caretaker capacity.

Those demonstrations, which broke out in October over lack of jobs and services and quickly spiralled into demands for the removal of Iraq's dysfunctional ruling elite, were met with force by security forces and powerful militia groups.

Around 500 people have been killed in unrest since then.

Protesters have mostly rejected Allawi as nominee for the premiership saying that he is part of the existing system that they view as corrupt.

According to Iraq's constitution, Allawi must get a cabinet approved through parliament or President Barham Salih will need to appoint a new candidate.

• Upvote 1

Iraq fails to form new government, prolonging crisis

Allawi

Iraqi politicians failed on Thursday to agree on a new government, prolonging deadlock that has failed to resolve unprecedented mass unrest and has stalled the country’s recovery from years of war.

Parliament adjourned a session to approve a cabinet proposed by Prime Minister-designate Mohammed Allawi because of a lack of quorum, state TV reported, after lawmakers who opposed his nominees boycotted the session.
Political infighting and alleged widespread corruption have crippled Iraq’s efforts to recover from two U.S. invasions, sanctions and the destructive war to defeat Islamic State in 2017.

The country faces a mass protest movement that broke out in October and brought down former Prime Minister Adel Abdul Mahdi two months later. His cabinet has stayed on in a caretaker capacity, however.

The protests, which first demanded jobs and services, quickly turned into calls for the removal of Iraq’s entire ruling elite. Protesters oppose Allawi because they view him as part of the system they want to bring down.

Security forces and powerful militia groups have shot dead hundreds of mostly unarmed demonstrators. Around 500 people have been killed in unrest since October, most of them protesters, according to a Reuters rally from medics and police. The number of protesters has reduced somewhat but demonstrations continue on a daily basis.

Allawi issued a long list of promises when he was nominated this month: to hold early elections, punish people who killed protesters, end foreign interference and check the power of non-state armed groups - an ambitious program for a prime minister who has no particular party behind him.

Abdul Mahdi became beholden to the interests of Iran-backed Shi’ite Muslim paramilitary groups and other parties that have a strong representation in parliament and control government posts.

Government officials say Allawi’s cabinet selection was heavily influenced by renegade Shi’ite cleric Moqtada al-Sadr, who has gained from the general chaos in Iraq after the United States killed a senior Iranian commander in Baghdad in January

Sunni and Kurdish political groups who stood to lose portfolios in a cabinet of ostensible independents have vehemently opposed Allawi’s choices.

According to Iraq’s constitution, Allawi must get a cabinet approved through parliament or President Barham Salih will need to appoint a new candidate for prime minister.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Pitcher said:

According to Iraq’s constitution, Allawi must get a cabinet approved through parliament or President Barham Salih will need to appoint a new candidate for prime minister.

Everyday they stall and postpone “Iran” wins! Things that make you go hmmmm!!!🤔 

• Thanks 3
  • Upvote 2

Whene they put it off Tuesday, I knew they were trying to go past their March 1 2020 deadline! These turds are up to something! we all know its up to no GOOD! Looks like another wasted year, coming at us like a speeding train! Sorry for the negative rant! These people just make me sick to my stomach! JMHO! 🤠

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Artitech said:

Whene they put it off Tuesday, I knew they were trying to go past their March 1 2020 deadline! These turds are up to something! we all know its up to no GOOD! Looks like another wasted year, coming at us like a speeding train! Sorry for the negative rant! These people just make me sick to my stomach! JMHO! 🤠

I think you are dead on!!! Ramadan and Eid just around the corner...can’t agree on the cabinet, budget not approved...and so on!!!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Pitcher said:
Iraq fails to form new government, prolonging crisis

Parliament adjourned a session to approve a cabinet proposed by Prime Minister-designate Mohammed Allawi because of a lack of quorum, state TV reported, after lawmakers who opposed his nominees boycotted the session.

Thanks for the informative article Pitcher ... sad that they are more concerned with lining their pockets than moving ahead for the benefit of the country and the Iraqi people. They should be removed from office for failing in their duty to show up for a critical parliamentary session, and serve the country simply based on partisan politics, greed, and Iranian influences.  It reminds me of the democratic party here at home..!

50 minutes ago, CSM (R) Thack said:

Everyday they stall and postpone “Iran” wins..! Things that make you go hmmmm!!!🤔 

I agree with you Command Sergeant Major Thack - thanks..!

Artitech wrote:

When they put it off Tuesday, I knew they were trying to go past their March 1 2020 deadline! These turds are up to something! we all know its up to no GOOD! Looks like another wasted year, coming at us like a speeding train! Sorry for the negative rant! These people just make me sick to my stomach! JMHO! 

I agree with you Artitech - thanks..!

Bless the three of you ...RON :salute:

Edited by ronscarpa
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, blueskyline said:

Al-Fateh: We are still supporting the Allawi government and postponing the session will resolve the differences

Thanks Blueskyline for the article...I ran out of + reactions for the day, so I'll catch you tomorrow.

What amazes me is he gave them 3 candidates for each position, and yet they resist. Like spoiled children, they have to have their own way. JMHO..!

Ron :salute:

Edited by ronscarpa
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, horsesoldier said:

Another beautifully orchestrated FAIL by the criminal politicians.

years still young horsesoldier , they gotta stall till the country is in a full blown crisis then beg for help, heck we haven't even got into the dysfunctional cafeteria articles yet ....🤣🤣

• Like 1

Has anything actually changed since Iraq’s protests began?

15 minutes ago
496625Image1.jpg?mode=crop&quality=70&ra
-

BAGHDAD, Iraq – On a cold Wednesday evening in mid-February, as I slowly made my way toward Tahrir Square, the epicenter of Baghdad’s protest movement, a tuk tuk pulled up and offered me a free ride into the centre. 

Bumping along, we passed three security checkpoints, each inspecting the tuk tuk and my ID. Lining the route were dilapidated homes which once belonged to Iraq’s Jewish community. Now the government owns them, my driver Emad tells me.

Arriving at the entrance to the square and waving off Emad as he clattered away, I sat down on a concrete roadblock and surveyed the vast concrete space, occupied by protesters since the movement began in October last year.

Tahrir Square has become the thumping heart of the anti-government protests. The overwhelmingly young crowd initially limited its demands to improvements in public services, employment opportunities, and action against corruption.

Since the bloody crackdown by security forces and pro-government militias, their demands have grown with calls for the complete overthrow of the post-2003 elite.

More than 600 people have been killed and around 18,000 injured in clashes, according to Amnesty International.

Few of those I spoke to in the square were willing to be filmed or photographed. Their reluctance is easy to understand. Unidentified armed men regularly abduct and murder young activists.

Walking deeper into the square, approaching the iconic Freedom Monument, I come across a young medical student called Mohammed. The 22-year-old is supervising a first aid tent, where those injured in clashes with police are brought for treatment. 

image.jpeg.323806a3cd62f16480bfb029ee5e9829.jpeg
Protesters gathered around the Freedom Monument in Tahrir Square, Baghdad, Iraq, February 19, 2020

“The most important change is that more awareness has been achieved, and it is very clear to see that,” Mohammed told me. “Protesters started to freely express their views and feelings despite the constant threats. They also stopped fearing political parties.”

Tahrir Square is less crowded than it was during my last visit. Many protesters appear to have left, exhausted after months camped out in the winter cold or intimidated into silence by armed men. 

Many others have abandoned Tahrir Square and headed south to join ongoing protests in Iraq’s other cities, like Basra, Najaf, and Nasiriyah. 

Omar Kati’e has chosen to stay put. He is something of a hero among protesters, widely recognized for his live videos about the movement broadcast on Facebook.

I met Kati’e in front of the iconic Turkish Restaurant, a tower on the edge of the square which once acted like a command center for protesters monitoring the movement of security forces across the nearby al-Jumhuriyah Bridge. 

image.jpeg.5eeecf527c315537ad867b6bd6d023fa.jpeg
The iconic Turkish Restaurant near Tahrir Square, Baghdad, Iraq, February 19, 2020. Photo: Lawk Ghafuri / Ruda

Protesters and police routinely fought for control of the bridge spanning the Tigris River, connecting Tahrir to the heavily fortified Green Zone – the seat of government. 

Before the protests began, the building was a dilapidated, 14-storey shell that once housed a luxurious Turkish restaurant – hence the name. It was badly damaged in the US ‘shock and awe’ bombing campaign in 2003.

The protesters were ejected from the tower in early February by supporters of Shiite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr – known as the ‘blue hats’ for their distinctive headwear. 

“We have made 14 achievements since the beginning of the protests,” Kati’e told me at the foot of the tower. “But I will mention only the one I think is the most important.”

“We proved that we are united, and the politicians are the ones who are divided, as politics created sectarianism, not us, as here in  Tahrir Square we are Shiite, Sunnis, Kurds, Christians, Assyrians,   Sabeea’a, and Chaldean, all having one heart. They will leave and we will stay.”

image.jpeg.d32cda3a200f503c6213d00002a56ede.jpeg
The crowd appears to have thinned in recent weeks in Tahrir Square, Baghdad, Iraq, February 19, 2020. Photo: Lawk Ghafuri / Rudaw

Standing among the dwindling crowd in Tahrir, it’s hard to see what has really changed. But I hear several protesters refer to these alleged ‘14 achievements’.

Among them is the reinstating of police and soldiers laid off by the government after the defeat of the Islamic State group (ISIS). Many of them had been hired on a casual daily rate to help combat the group.

After several weeks of protest, the Iraqi government yielded to the demand to reinstate them and offer them permanent jobs. 

“We have 14 achievements, including the resignation of the prime minister, election law amendments, and the return of the army personnel sacked because their contracts expired,” said Ahmed, a 21-year-old Baghdad native, who was in the square with his mother.

“We are here to stay in Tahrir Square, all the protesters and revolutionaries are here to stay until the entire government resigns.”

Ahmed condemned the “government of snipers” which used live ammunition and military-grade tear gas against protesters on the streets of Baghdad and other cities. 

The government has failed to investigate the disproportionate use of force and has apportioned blame for the killings to “third parties”. 

Amnesty International released its 2019 annual report last week on the human rights situation in the Middle East and North Africa region, dubbing it “a year of defiance”.    

Iraqi protesters showed “tremendous resilience,” Amnesty said, facing gunfire, military-grade tear gas, and, most recently, hunting rifles.

After some hesitation, Um Ahmed (mother of Ahmed) agreed to speak to me.

“The sacked soldiers went back to their duty – this is the first achievement,” she said.

“The new government employees, who were on daily payment contracts, are now permanent. And [now the government is] conducting snap elections,” she added.

Very few female activists remain in the square. Several have been kidnapped, assaulted, or even murdered by unknown assailants since the protests began. 

Saba al-Mahdawi and Mari Mohammed were two prominent activists who were both kidnapped by armed groups in Baghdad. Although they were both later released unharmed, they have been intimidated into silence.

Zahraa Ali al-Qaraloosi, 19, was kidnapped and killed in Baghdad on December 2 while heading home from Tahrir Square. Her body was found near her home.

Another protester called Mounir is less positive about the movement’s achievements, but remains defiant. 

“Nothing changed,” he said. “The only change they made was changing the ministers, and I wonder why the blood of those people is still pouring into the streets. They are targeting us with bullets. Are we mice or chickens to be targeted with bullets?”

Ministers may have changed, but the same establishment remains in power, he says.

“Kidnappings by dirty militias are still ongoing, and that is why nothing has changed,” Mounir said. 

“They only changed ministers and brought another [prime] minister without listening to our demands, and that is why we are here to stay, and we will keep our feet here until our last breath, for the sake of martyrs’ blood.”

Iraq is in a state of limbo, as caretaker Prime Minister Adil Abdul-Mahdi lingers on in office while PM-designated Mohammed Tawfiq Allawi cobbles together his cabinet.

Abdul-Mahdi resigned from his post in late 2019 following months of protests and a direct call to go from Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani, Iraq’s highest Shiite religious highest.

Allawi, a former minister in the government of Nouri al-Maliki, was tasked by President Barham Salih with forming a new cabinet of independents and technocrats on February 1. However, objections by Iraq’s Sunni and Kurdish minorities have slowed his progress.

The Iraqi parliament held an extraordinary session on Thursday to vote on Allawi’s cabinet. But, after the parliament failed to meet quorum, the session was postponed until Saturday 

• Thanks 1

I agree Ron, the politicians are stealing the country blind. They don’t want change. And thank you for all you posts.  

As long as the Iranian backed Iraqi politicians are at the table we’ll probably get more of the same.  We need the Iran Government to be toppled by their citizens who have had enough of the Mullahs. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ronscarpa said:

Thanks for the informative article Pitcher ... sad that they are more concerned with lining their pockets than moving ahead for the benefit of the country and the Iraqi people. They should be removed from office for failing in their duty to show up for a critical parliamentary session, and serve the country simply based on partisan politics, greed, and Iranian influences.  It reminds me of the democratic party here at home..!

I agree with you Command Sergeant Major Thack - thanks..!

Artitech wrote:

When they put it off Tuesday, I knew they were trying to go past their March 1 2020 deadline! These turds are up to something! we all know its up to no GOOD! Looks like another wasted year, coming at us like a speeding train! Sorry for the negative rant! These people just make me sick to my stomach! JMHO! 

I agree with you Artitech - thanks..!

Bless the three of you ...RON :salute:

Thx Ron!!!👍🇺🇸

48 minutes ago, Pitcher said:

I agree Ron, the politicians are stealing the country blind. They don’t want change. And thank you for all you posts.  

As long as the Iranian backed Iraqi politicians are at the table we’ll probably get more of the same.  We need the Iran Government to be toppled by their citizens who have had enough of the Mullahs. 

Agreed!!! 👍🇺🇸