Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Do you want to be alone when you die?

Tiffany23

Thank You for starting a most interesting heart and thought provoking thread... at first I just thought "Well you come in alone and you will go out alone" no getting around it. Then as I followed others thoughts it reminded me of one of my nine lives, not sure how many I have left... unsure.gif

It was the middle of the night, I had been hospitalized for severe food poisoning, (Campo Bactor... not good) I had been weakened to the point of not being conscious... as the night went on all of my loved ones (the ones in this world) were coming in to check on me, smiling, comforting me, just making small talk. I would wake myself up when I would start talking to them and would realize they weren't really there... back out I would go and the next dear one would come in... This went on all night, every one I loved had come in to see me that night. The next morning I woke feeling a little embarrassed that I had been talking to myself all night.

About a week after I got home, all of my fingernails and toenails fell off! My skin peeled off to a whole new layer. Gross I know... I was freaking out! My hair was falling in globs to the bathroom floor! The Doc said it was due to the "trauma" I had gone through. Trauma my a$$!

Long story short, I believe I was near death that night, and just the same as people that make contact with loved ones on the other side... I was making contact with loved ones from this side, or they were making contact with me. Love transcends all, an energy that can travel to wherever it chooses, in and out of any world.

In thinking about this and by recalling my experience, I have now changed my mind. You probably are not dying alone whether anyone is in the room or not. The collective consciousness of love is with you.

To me "God Is Love" pure and simple.

Thank You Tiffany for inviting me to think this through to a new conclusion. emot-hug.gif

• Upvote 5

I don't want to be alone and I won't be alone.

This happened to me 18 years ago:

I had what some people would call a near-death experience. It wasn't the result of an accident, but rather an extended illness for which my husband at the time would not help me get medical attention. By the time I knew I needed help, I was too ill to get it myself. This rotten bastard was going to let me die with my young children watching.

I was lying on my bed, and I was in so much pain that I could not endure the texture of the sheets. I could not tolerate touch, and I had been ill for so long that I was welcoming death.

I had what some would call a dream, others a vision. Jesus came into the room and sat down at the edge of my bed. We had a long talk. About life, about purpose, about my children. I was ready to go. When He got up to leave, I sat up out of my body and proceeded to follow Him. After a few steps, he turned to me, and said "it is not your time." I said, "that's okay, I'm coming with you now." He said, "you can't leave your children now." He took me by the hand, and led me back to my body, and gestured for me to get back in it. I started to cry, but I did it. I didn't want to be in pain anymore.

I woke up feeling a little better, and dramatically started to improve in spite of being nearly starved to death in my illness. I started to be able to take care of myself, and within a day I was able to drive myself to the hospital. Obviously I recovered.

I know that I will not die alone. I know this more surely than I believe my existence is not a figment of someone else's imagination. And there is nothing that anyone can say that would change my view on this. And I'm not afraid of death anymore. In those moments, I knew more peace than I imagined possible.

This post offers a very good sequeway about horrible ex's! laugh.gif In which case-can i go first? ohmy.giftongue.gif

My first marriage was one of the first cryonics experiments ever! Except that I was the only one in the tank; my then wife and her mother monitored and operated the control panel! Had I only known that what started out as those "innocent phone calls" from her mother on our wedding night (8 of them!!) would have

been the genesis of my own horrible and cold gulag hell for several years, I would have never turned right into the new Denny's Restuarant that day where I was soon to meet them....

And no-I am not going to die alone. My good Lord tells me He will never leave me nor forsake me and that even means being there with me when its time to go to the next level! smile.gif

Edited by chocolate1
  • Upvote 1

I don't know where, when, or how I'm going to die. I try and live life to the fullest and if I die tragically, then hey, **** happens. If I had to choose how to die and if I wanted people around me then that would all depend on the situation on how I was dying. I wouldn't want my loved ones to see me in pain and burden them by having them take care of me. For me I don't really believe in one almighty God, I believe that there is a higher power then us but I don't necessarily believe anyone on this earth knows the real truth. I'm a agnostic I suppose. I'm still young (21 almost 22) and deploying to Afghanistan soon so the thought of dying soon has come across my mind more often as the days draw near to mob. I'm not afraid of dying, I'm afraid of being in pain and hope how ever it happens it happens fast and painless.

• Upvote 1

Wow! Did I say that already, what an incredible outpour we are getting to share. Thank you so much for taking the time to enlighten us on something that I see as very personal.

Nelg, I am so happy that you have taken your book on, and are willing to dive into such deep subjects. I think all of us want to share these kinds of discussions with others, but we never seem to get around to it...so I for one am very much looking forward to what your research and wisdom uncovers.

As a Buddhist, I see death as a release from suffering. That may seem a bit odd to those of a Christian faith, but it is easy to comprehend when one realizes that the vast majority of history and even today in much of the world, life is a struggle. War, poverty, sickness, that is an everday event in most of the world. I read somewhere that only about 16% of the world population lives in 1st world countries...most people strive to have clean water, not cable TV. So, as a Buddhist we are taught to lookforward to the release of our present life and to "become one with the universe"...Nirvana...nothingness. It is hard to discribe it to those who pray for an eternity with a loving God, to phantom that some of us, have no desire to go on existing. This is not because we are unhappy, it is just that we believe that is the way it is and always has been.

As far as dying itself, I personally believe this is the most personable thing there is..that is, how you go about ending things should TOTALLY be up to the individual. I'm a HUGE proponent of euthanasia. For those of you who are major fans of Lord of the Rings...especially the book, you know that Aragorn, had a bloodline that allowed him to live 3 times as long as most men, with the ability to end his life, by going to sleep when it was his time. He chose to do so before he became senile and an invalid. I have been around many many caregivers that said they didn't regret anytime that they spent taking care of their loved ones, but when asked if they would want to put their loved ones thru the same, they said without exception, no.

Also, I think most of you know this, because you possibly believed the same when you were young, but most of the people my age, early 20's...ok...maybe mid 20s now...don't think they will ever reach 30, let alone 40. My generation doesn't think about getting old, they mostly think they will go out in flames...the group I was with last night thought that most of them would die in like a car crash or perhaps have a violent death. And yes, I know that the majority of us WILL surpass our 30s and 40s....but it may enlighten you to be reminded, that is how most of us think..and why we sometimes do what we do.

So, I personally, would like some power when it comes time to draw the curtains...and to be honest, I think I'd prefer to go out by myself...subject to change of course as I grow wise® like Nelg, Pappy and Smee. :)

Ok..Tiff..just saw your post babes...you WILL live forever, afterall, Heaven don't want you and Hell is afraid you'll take over! :P

Edited by Tiffany23
  • Upvote 1

Last night a group of friends and I were sitting at our local discussing life and how each culture view things a bit differently, it was a very diverse crowd: British, Irish, Auzzies and of course NZ reps.

We got to talking about death, and almost everyone of us had a story to share about being by a close family member or friend when they pass on. For me, it was my Grandfather.

It seemed that in almost every case, one or two things happened. Either a caretaker was present with the dying family member, at their bedside, and as soon as they left to maybe go to the bathroom or get something from the kitchen, the person was gone when they returned.

In the other scenario, it seemed that the person hung on, until everyone they cared about or was expecting to arrive, did so, and only then, did they pass on.

I heard from one medical person that many people actually prefer to die alone...they don't want their loved ones to see them in pain and that be that the last memory they have of them.

I'd like to get your thoughts on what you have experience in this area and what you would personally want.

Thoughts?

I've only read your original post on this topic Tiff, what is your preference? to be alone or with loved ones around?

Pappy

Ah now I remember why I quit drinking 22 years ago,Those great barroom topics lol. But as to this one obviously accidents war etc. is ruled out since those options don't give you a choice of who or what is around. Now given a choice and knowing my time was running out ,then I would slip off into the woods on a last hunting trip totaly alone and would leave the dog home so he can't rat out my location. Yes I want solitude mainly because I believe in salvation is in repentence and I sure would hate to have some well meaning azzhole pump me full of drugs at the end so that I couldn't repent because I was dopped up. As too the woods is giving back lol I hunted all my life so let the critters get some when I'm gone. Also savces on funeral expences for the wife and kids.

• Upvote 1

Ah now I remember why I quit drinking 22 years ago,Those great barroom topics lol. But as to this one obviously accidents war etc. is ruled out since those options don't give you a choice of who or what is around. Now given a choice and knowing my time was running out ,then I would slip off into the woods on a last hunting trip totaly alone and would leave the dog home so he can't rat out my location. Yes I want solitude mainly because I believe in salvation is in repentence and I sure would hate to have some well meaning azzhole pump me full of drugs at the end so that I couldn't repent because I was dopped up. As too the woods is giving back lol I hunted all my life so let the critters get some when I'm gone. Also savces on funeral expences for the wife and kids.

Well put Delta! May you have many years of hunting ahead of you. Kind of ironic too...going out to kill something and dying. Sounds like you bro! Get back to the US safe (and soon)! cool.gif

At first, Tiff, I thought you were just caught in a morbid mood. But then I got thinking about it ... you do have a way of making people think.

Given the ideal scenario I would want one person to be there, holding my hand. But, unfortunately, he died almost two years ago. He used some of his last minutes to call me and tell me what had happened. But search and rescue wanted him back on his cel to them so they could keep trying to find him. They were too late and he is gone. which ticks me off a lot because we had an agreement: he would let me go first so I would nt be the one to suffer all the grief that follows. Little sqirt beat me to it and now I am the one in counselling.

So, being realistic now, since I don't have him to be with me, I prefer to be alone, but comfortable, and have my memories to help guide me past whatever fears there might be. Even as I sit here typing this I am missing Neil so much the tears are just dripping down my face. I don't want to live without him. I would go this minute if it were possible. For the first few months afterwards I wanted to die ... seriously. But I didn't know what to do about my cats. I now have that problem solved and would go gladly. But I cannot do it myself. And for those who think that suicide is the easy way out, let me tell you it isn't It takes a lot of guts ... and I just don't have the strength to actually do it. I might have right afterwards but not now.

So if you are keeping a chart, Tiff, put me on the alone side.

Smee

Your story really got me.

You know, I cannot tell you hanging onto life is better than not. Only you can know that.

But if you do, and I hope you do, make the choice consciously and stick to it. As a happiness coach, I have helped people back from suicidal thoughts to a life of loving. It happens from the inside to the outside. Grief shows us that it is true...what happens outside of you is less important than what you have going on inside. How you handle Neil's passing is everything.

I cannot know how I would handle my loving wife's death, if it happens. It would be the hardest thing I could do.

:)

smee2

I for one would not choose to be alone...but not in the way you may imagine. I don't see myself dying on a deathbed surrounded by friends and family...that to me is too selfish on my part and I never want a pity party nor deserve man's praise...I'd much rather be out helping someone and giving of myself right to the end and then be 'taken' in action...my faith is strong and I know I am not alone ever...death holds no fear for me..its just a transition from an earthly life where I as a person am a spirit with a soul (my personality that people see and interact with) and I live in a body. The shell will eventually give out and die but my spirit and soul will live on....its an adventure yet to be fully revealed. As for now...live each day to make a difference to someone else.

Little feet put it so well "The things you do for yourself will die with you; the things you do for others will live forever. I don' t think I'll be alone".

I found your comment very interesting.

My husband, who passed January 18, 2010, had a saying he believed and repeated often ... "We are not human beings having a spiritual experience, we are spiritual beings having a human experience."

He believed the soul was first and is always if anything is always. It was, and is, a comforting thought. Before he died I maintained that whatever is next, is next for all of us, though most likely none of us is at all knowlegeable about what is next. Did that make any sense?

Oh well ... since Neil passed. I have tried to let that comfort me. But I keep remembering him as alone, and cold, and hurt and crying with pain and fear. I know better. That part of his passing is over and done. But I keep seeing, and feeling, that reality as if it were still happening this moment. I have to find a way to believe as he did that since his human life has finished living its spiritual experience, it is now his spirit that is moved on to whatever is next, for all of us.

We cannot escape it and might just as well accept it, whether we know for sure what it is or not. Personally I don't think anyone knows for sure. But we have a great capacity for finding things that support and comfort us. Maybe that is enough.

smee2

• Upvote 2

I found your comment very interesting.

My husband, who passed January 18, 2010, had a saying he believed and repeated often ... "We are not human beings having a spiritual experience, we are spiritual beings having a human experience."

He believed the soul was first and is always if anything is always. It was, and is, a comforting thought. Before he died I maintained that whatever is next, is next for all of us, though most likely none of us is at all knowlegeable about what is next. Did that make any sense?

Oh well ... since Neil passed. I have tried to let that comfort me. But I keep remembering him as alone, and cold, and hurt and crying with pain and fear. I know better. That part of his passing is over and done. But I keep seeing, and feeling, that reality as if it were still happening this moment. I have to find a way to believe as he did that since his human life has finished living its spiritual experience, it is now his spirit that is moved on to whatever is next, for all of us.

We cannot escape it and might just as well accept it, whether we know for sure what it is or not. Personally I don't think anyone knows for sure. But we have a great capacity for finding things that support and comfort us. Maybe that is enough.

smee2

Smee,

Your husband was wise and realised the truth that our soul and spirit is eternal. Your husband captured the essence of life as we would know it. Too often we as worldly creatures crave a spiritual experience that seems unrealistic impossible and unobtainable, when in reality we are spirit and we need to learn to live to our true spiritual potential. We are naturally selfish creatures and pride is a vanity that we cloth ourselves in such that our outward appearance is more important that inner beauty…that was never meant to be.

I believe strongly in the power of the spoken word to create. I believe words pave our destiny and bring it into existence in the here and now, so we must be wise as we ‘sow’ our words, as we will ‘reap’ what we sow. When we speak, spirit beings carry out our 'command' and they always accomplish either positive or negative outcomes depending on what we spoke. Faith and belief empower those words, yet even a seemingly casual harmless or stupid comment has consequence.

Smee, when you tended your dying husband, you saw his outward flesh deteriorate and feel pain. All the while you too felt like you were being robbed of the joy of your life. I know you know better since you pointed out that his spirit was being prepared to move onto a better place. We all yearn to know that our loved ones are truly safe and in a better place and that in time we can join them again and carry on our journey together. You are not alone, he is watching over you even now…I know you sense his presence and that should give you comfort. Death is not to be feared…you are not alone.

One day there will be an awakening and as Hamel’s says of the transformation “It happens from the inside to the outside.” It’s all about perspective and priorities and where our focus is. Your awakening is just around the corner.

Blessings to you for all the wisdom and experience you bring and share with us so freely here at DV.

• Upvote 4

Smee,

Your husband was wise and realised the truth that our soul and spirit is eternal. Your husband captured the essence of life as we would know it. Too often we as worldly creatures crave a spiritual experience that seems unrealistic impossible and unobtainable, when in reality we are spirit and we need to learn to live to our true spiritual potential. We are naturally selfish creatures and pride is a vanity that we cloth ourselves in such that our outward appearance is more important that inner beauty…that was never meant to be.

I believe strongly in the power of the spoken word to create. I believe words pave our destiny and bring it into existence in the here and now, so we must be wise as we ‘sow’ our words, as we will ‘reap’ what we sow. When we speak, spirit beings carry out our 'command' and they always accomplish either positive or negative outcomes depending on what we spoke. Faith and belief empower those words, yet even a seemingly casual harmless or stupid comment has consequence.

Smee, when you tended your dying husband, you saw his outward flesh deteriorate and feel pain. All the while you too felt like you were being robbed of the joy of your life. I know you know better since you pointed out that his spirit was being prepared to move onto a better place. We all yearn to know that our loved ones are truly safe and in a better place and that in time we can join them again and carry on our journey together. You are not alone, he is watching over you even now…I know you sense his presence and that should give you comfort. Death is not to be feared…you are not alone.

One day there will be an awakening and as Hamel’s says of the transformation “It happens from the inside to the outside.” It’s all about perspective and priorities and where our focus is. Your awakening is just around the corner.

Blessings to you for all the wisdom and experience you bring and share with us so freely here at DV.

Fly, you've made me cry twice now in this thread because I truly know when you wrote "I believe in the power of the spoken word to create" how true that is for you. Your beautiful words have touched many on DV. I feel fortunate to have been blessed with your friendship. Thank you my love, from the bottom of my heart :wub:

• Upvote 2

Fly, you've made me cry twice now in this thread because I truly know when you wrote "I believe in the power of the spoken word to create" how true that is for you. Your beautiful words have touched many on DV. I feel fortunate to have been blessed with your friendship. Thank you my love, from the bottom of my heart :wub:

DI, that took guts to admit to tears on an open forum. My high regard for you has soared even further. :)

Yes its true that there are other things going on behind the scenes that many are not privy to ... you understand my situation better than most, but there are others on this forum too that are needy souls and I pray that the kind words on this thread in particular will reach them at their point of need. Kudos to you and may you be blessed in every regard.

• Upvote 3

I don't believe that anyone is ever alone when they are dying. It doesn't matter if the roon has no "physical" person there with the person or not. There is always some body from spirit there with the dying.

I have worked in hospitals, prisons, and care homes almost all of my nursing career. I have seen a huge number of people die and i have attended to many individuals, to the best of my ability, in the last hours of their life. I have WITNESSED the spirits come and take the person to the afterlife/light. It was a strange thing the first time but now i accept it is going to happen and it does not frighten me. I have absolutely no fear of dying. I know within myself that i will be fine and when my time comes(hopefully not for at least another 40 yrs.), that my grandfather, John Robertson will come to get me. You see, when people are dying they themselves often seem to know before we the carers do.

My grandmother , ELIZABETH , looked after us when we were kids to allow both my parents to work. She lived in a house only 4 doors away from my parents. For two weeks before she died she told us she was going to die. She was perfectly healthy, no physical illness nor mental illness. However, she kept insisting she was going to die and that it was to be soon. The weekend before her death my mother was out shopping and for some reason which she couldn't understand she went into a shop and bought a new black and white two piece suit. She brought it home and showed it to gran who turned and said "yeah, very nice , it will be fine for my funeral" . Within 48 hrs gran had taken to her bed and couldn't keep any food down!! The following weekend mum and i were up in her house making her comfortable for the night when she started having a conversation with Robert (bob) and Christine. Mum and i weere the only two physical beings there besides gran. Bob & Christine were my grans husband and her daughter. Grandad had been dead for over 40 yrs and so had my aunt Christine. I never knew any of them. She started reaching out with her hand and saying " i am coming Bob . I am on my way. " Other things she said were "Oh Christine it's so good to see you, isn't it beautiful here ? Oh, it is wonderful". I was 20 at the time and mum and i just look at each other and nodded. We both knew she had been right. The next morning, mum got up and reached into the wardrobe and dressed in the new suit she had bought the previous weekend. When she went into grans to make her her breakfast she was dead. Her body was still warm so she hadn't been gone long but i know grandad and aunt Christine were there with her. So mum and i , once we had shed tears, washed her and put on a clean nightdress and again made her comfortable in her bed. Talking to her as we did so.:)

More recently i have resusitated people who , when i have managed to get them back and stable have been able to tell me a detailed account of all that happened during the resus. They have told me about their out of body experience. Also having worked in the care sector for so long you just develop a gut feeling. but additionally, i have witnessed too many things to not believe that we never die alone. As for me, in all honesty, i don't have a preference because i know my family will be there either physically or in spirit.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

My answer is no. Dont want my loved ones to see me die. There is no dignity in dying, and I dont want anyone to see me.

No funeral. No open casket. Cremation.

However, I would want to be with my wife if she predeceases me.

Moral conundrum?

Not sure.

What I do know is that there are more positive things to think about. Like an RV.

I also think, that we should not think about death, it will surely come. Worry about living and the people you care about.

Merry Christmas and a Happy and blessed New Year to everyone.

• Upvote 4

Smee,

Wow Fly - Your first post was awesome ... but this one has elevated you to a whole new level - awesomer !!!

Your way with the spoken word and commitment to using words, phrases and sentences in such a way as to enable the reader to hear the power and meaning of your posts without realizing they have just interacted with that magical place that is your mind. Kudos to you my friend.

As for the topic at hand ... I would like to think I will not die alone, but have touched enough persons through acts of kindness, thought or deeds, that my passing will be celebrated, not mourned.

• Upvote 4

My answer is no. Dont want my loved ones to see me die. There is no dignity in dying, and I dont want anyone to see me.

No funeral. No open casket. Cremation.

However, I would want to be with my wife if she predeceases me.

Moral conundrum?

Not sure.

What I do know is that there are more positive things to think about. Like an RV.

I also think, that we should not think about death, it will surely come. Worry about living and the people you care about.

Merry Christmas and a Happy and blessed New Year to everyone.

I agree. I don't want any ceremony, fanfare, or weeping when I pass on, what's done is done. Looking at life and death from an ecosystem point of view and a cycle, it might be best for people to walk off into the woods, die, and let the animals consume them, especially harsh winter months when food is scarce. We were consumers when we lived, we could give back to the earth in this way. Just a thought.

• Upvote 1

I agree. I don't want any ceremony, fanfare, or weeping when I pass on, what's done is done. Looking at life and death from an ecosystem point of view and a cycle, it might be best for people to walk off into the woods, die, and let the animals consume them, especially harsh winter months when food is scarce. We were consumers when we lived, we could give back to the earth in this way. Just a thought.

A completely valid piont Jon. I just think that too many of us might end up being incapable of "walking into the woods".

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

Good quote, great movie.

Go RV, so we can get busy :D

BettyBoop,

You are an awesome person for what you do every day and for who you are. You are the best. Thank you for sharing that story with us. I hope I have the privilege of meeting you one day. God Bless, and I wish you a Merry Christmas, a happy New Year and a blessed holiday season.

I hope you have recovered well from the wounds you received at the hands of a truly disturbed person. I wish the the best. You are a truly awesome human being.

Dave

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

As for me, I am a person of deep faith in Christ ever since a life changing dramatic experience I had 32 years ago which I will not take the space to recount now.

I have been with the ill, sick, and dying many times over the years due to my involvement in ministry.

One clear thing has always stood out to me.

When it finally comes down to the end of your earthly existence, people often have a radical change of view of what truly matters. Our possessions, accomplishments, notoriety, experiences, ect.. all pale in view of loving family and friends. Of meaningful relationships.

I have seen many pass this life with sadness, bitterness, and regrets because of poor choices or a lack of effort in maintaining important relationships in their life. Estranged family members are remembered and grieved for. Broken relationships now become important. Disagreements and disappointments now seem insignificant in light of the value of a lost relationship.

Some had nobody there to show their care. Other times members were present but bitter and uncaring. There only out of duty.

I want to be surrounded especially by my children and grand kids, close family members, my wife if I precede her in death, and possibly my dearest friends. I want to make jokes, laugh, comfort them, express my love to them and feel theirs for me.

I want us to sing praises to my Savior together for His goodness and for intervening in my life so many years ago and showing me the love and mercy I did not deserve.

I want my funeral not to be a time of mourning but a time of rejoicing for the time I was given and the blessings I was shown. For the love I gave and the love I received.

GP getting misty...

• Upvote 4

The things you do for yourself will die with you; the things you do for others will live forever. I don' think I'll be alone.

Hmmmmm.... Something to ponder about.

I for one would not choose to be alone...but not in the way you may imagine. I don't see myself dying on a deathbed surrounded by friends and family...that to me is too selfish on my part and I never want a pity party nor deserve man's praise...I'd much rather be out helping someone and giving of myself right to the end and then be 'taken' in action...my faith is strong and I know I am not alone ever...death holds no fear for me..its just a transition from an earthly life where I as a person am a spirit with a soul (my personality that people see and interact with) and I live in a body. The shell will eventually give out and die but my spirit and soul will live on....its an adventure yet to be fully revealed. As for now...live each day to make a difference to someone else.

Little feet put it so well "The things you do for yourself will die with you; the things you do for others will live forever. I don' t think I'll be alone".

Ditto

Honestly it does'nt matter to me. I do feel that if loved ones/friends want to be with/visit me in my last days so be it. I will not push myself on others. The only thing I wish is that I'm able to smile, say goodbye and thank all that have been a part of my life, and tell them that I LOVE them

• Upvote 1

To be honest, I haven't ever given it much thought. I have always been more concerned with the eternity I'll face immediately following the passing from this life to the after life. I don't think we will have alot of control over whether we are alone when the time comes or not. I would love to know ahead of time and be able to have my loved ones with me for the send off! But either way I'll go when the time comes because none of us have a choice. :)