Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Allawi accuses Maliki of fabricated lies and compares him to Saddam

DinarSeeker

Dont neg me, just passing it along from reuters

(Reuters) - Iraq's Nuri al-Maliki is acting like Saddam Hussein in trying to silence opposition and he risks provoking a new fightback against dictatorship, one of Maliki's predecessors as prime minister said on Tuesday.Iyad Allawi, who leads the Sunni-backed Iraqiya bloc, said the televised confessions Maliki has used to demand the arrest of the country's Sunni Muslim vice president were fabrications.

Speaking to Reuters two days after the final departure of the U.S. forces that ended Saddam's Sunni-dominated rule, Allawi called for international efforts to prevent the Shi'ite premier from provoking renewed sectarian warfare of the kind that killed tens of thousands in the years after Saddam fell in 2003.

"This is terrifying, to bring fabricated confessions," Allawi said shortly before leaving the Jordanian capital Amman to return to Iraq. "It reminds me personally of what Saddam Hussein used to do where he would accuse his political opponents of being terrorists and conspirators."

Vice President Tareq al-Hashemi, who has taken refuge in Iraq's autonomous Kurdish region, denies allegations he ordered bombings and shootings against his opponents. The move against him, on the very day U.S. troops left the country, threatens to upset a balance among Shi'ite, Sunni and Kurdish factions.

"We fear the return of dictatorship by this authoritarian way of governing. It's the latest in a build-up of atrocities, arrests and intimidation that has been going on a wide scale," said Allawi, who comes from the Shi'ite Muslim majority but who has drawn support heavily from disaffected Sunnis.

REGIONAL SECTARIAN CONFLICT

As prime minister for 10 months under U.S. occupation in 2004 and 2005, Allawi was accused of revealing an authoritarian streak himself. He later led the Iraqiya bloc to first place in last year's parliamentary election but ended up joining a coalition headed by Maliki, who retained the premiership.

He said he would now try to unseat the prime minister in the legislature: "We have to make a move to bring about stability to the country by trying to find a substitute to Maliki through parliament," said Allawi, who repeated allegations that Shi'ite Iran is seeking control in Iraq now that U.S. forces have left.

"Maliki has crossed all red lines and Iraq is now facing a very, very serious and very difficult situation," he said.

"We are watching events unfolding which are aimed at the very heart of democracy and stability.

"The Americans have pulled out without completing the job they should have finished. We have warned them that we don't have a political process which is inclusive of all Iraqis and we don't have a full-blown state in Iraq," Allawi said.

"We want to resolve issues between Iraqis in a peaceful way and we want to bring stability. Iraqis should fill the vacuum, rather than anybody else," Allawi said, in a reference to his view Iran is intent on filling a vacuum left by U.S. troops.

Iraq sits on a sectarian, Sunni-Shi'ite faultline that is generating conflict throughout the region, notably between Iran and Sunni-ruled Arab states like Saudi Arabia. While the overthrow of Saddam in Iraq bolstered Shi'ites, the uprising against Iran's Syrian ally President Bashar al-Assad could lead to power in Damascus shifting toward Syria's Sunni majority.

"The rise of sectarianism is already there," Allawi said.

"We are witnessing the beginning of it and the influences of what is happening in the region is only adding fuel to the fire. My fear is that the Iraqi people will lose faith in the political process and sectarianism will prevail.

"Unless the international community and the region get involved and unless sense prevails, Iraq is heading towards a very big conflict."

(Editing by Alastair Macdonald)

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/12/20/us-iraq-allawi-idUSTRE7BJ18M20111220

• Upvote 4

He is right. Maliki was allowed to go and grab power. I hate this. They look at it as if we let it happen. We could not do anything to step in the way. Keeping them in Chapter 7 is a good thing. Don't neg me. If sh#t hits the fan, then Allawi and/or Talabani can ask for our assistance again. But if they don't quit this crap, they will go from riches to rags. It's all there at their fingertips. All they have to do is grab it. Maliki needs to get rid of his egotistical errors. He really thinks that the US does not know what he is up to. Thinking he would pull the wool over Obama's eyes and get out of Chapter 7. When there was some effort with the Kurds, but not candidly enough. I don't even see sincerity in his eyes. He was nervous before he spoke. He has to know that his country is hating him for the suffering. So to me, he does not care. He is dangerous with all this power.

• Upvote 3

OBAMA! He's the fundamental change master!

OH MAN! If that's the only option, we are screwed. LOL!

Everybody hang on...this was bound to happen. I panic all the time, and I am not freaking out yet. This may be the way we and Iraq oust Maliki. I still think our investment would have worked if Alawi would have went along with it and stopped crying. However, I am pretty sure that they don't care about OUR investment. LOL! They do have another election coming up.

It makes too much sense to work together for the sake of the people. Right?

My repubican party won't stop crying either, and that is screwing everything up here as well. IMO...standing still for too long is a bad thing. I don't care if you go right or left. Does that make sense?

In other words, stop blaming everybody and DO something United States...ummm...I mean, Iraq. HA!

• Upvote 1

We've seen this before, one day Iraq is coming to an end and the next day its like nothing happened.

Confusion before RV, lets hope so!!

The second we left, the boys started their one-up-manship, and my toy is bigger than your toy. They will fight and scrapple to see who comes out the winner, and then go to their corners. I am not so sure that this scuffling will go on for very long. VP Biden is now the babysitter and has been know to implement time outs and cutting allowances.

For supposedly having so much pride, the Iraqis never seen to get embarrassed.

Edited by Carrello
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

OH MAN! If that's the only option, we are screwed. LOL!

Everybody hang on...this was bound to happen. I panic all the time, and I am not freaking out yet. This may be the way we and Iraq oust Maliki. I still think our investment would have worked if Alawi would have went along with it and stopped crying. However, I am pretty sure that they don't care about OUR investment. LOL! They do have another election coming up.

It makes too much sense to work together for the sake of the people. Right?

My republican party won't stop crying either, and that is screwing everything up here as well. IMO...standing still for too long is a bad thing. I don't care if you go right or left. Does that make sense?

In other words, stop blaming everybody and DO something United States...ummm...I mean, Iraq. HA!

In all honesty that statement doesn't hold water IMO. America and Iraq oust Maliki, who supported him, did he win the "election", was he seen as a pro American puppet by Iraq's population?. Allawi went along, if you remember the 100 days that Maliki said that he needed to form a government. Look at the times senior military said that more actual rebuilding and repairs were needed and could be done by the army engineering units rather than throwing money to groups that had no experience in such work and most of them with no intention of trying. The majority of Iraqi's don't see any investment, limited water and electricity supplies in vast areas and as far as they can see it was the invading forces that caused all of this damage when their country was "invaded" and those same invaders have now left them without repairs or new infrastructure in place and without a viable government being in place. Maybe your Republican party is crying but the same can be said by Democrat supporters no doubt, find someone just returned from Iraq and listen to them, then look around you and say thanks to the lord that you were born where you are. American lives ended in that country, wounded physically and mentally are trying to see a better future within their states and I hope no repeat of the last great return of military personnel is seen by the rest of the world as after Vietnam. If things develop poorly in Iraq and help is requested then maybe if world leaders send their forces to aid them lessons will be learned by the results we are already witnessing and the job will be done properly. I must say to you that this is of course a general comment and is in no way aimed directly at your good self as your posts have good humour injected in them and have a friendly outlook to them.

• Upvote 2

In all honesty that statement doesn't hold water IMO. America and Iraq oust Maliki, who supported him, did he win the "election", was he seen as a pro American puppet by Iraq's population?. Allawi went along, if you remember the 100 days that Maliki said that he needed to form a government. Look at the times senior military said that more actual rebuilding and repairs were needed and could be done by the army engineering units rather than throwing money to groups that had no experience in such work and most of them with no intention of trying. The majority of Iraqi's don't see any investment, limited water and electricity supplies in vast areas and as far as they can see it was the invading forces that caused all of this damage when their country was "invaded" and those same invaders have now left them without repairs or new infrastructure in place and without a viable government being in place. Maybe your Republican party is crying but the same can be said by Democrat supporters no doubt, find someone just returned from Iraq and listen to them, then look around you and say thanks to the lord that you were born where you are. American lives ended in that country, wounded physically and mentally are trying to see a better future within their states and I hope no repeat of the last great return of military personnel is seen by the rest of the world as after Vietnam. If things develop poorly in Iraq and help is requested then maybe if world leaders send their forces to aid them lessons will be learned by the results we are already witnessing and the job will be done properly. I must say to you that this is of course a general comment and is in no way aimed directly at your good self as your posts have good humour injected in them and have a friendly outlook to them.

I appreciate your input and opinion. Everyone is entitled to one. I did not serve in the Military during this war. However, I did serve in the United States Marines. I understand the sacrifices made by our troops, and will never forget what people in uniform have ALWAYS done for our Country. As far as talking to someone who has returned from Iraq, I have a brother who was a Sniper, a friend who was force recon in the Gulf War, a grandfather who was a test pilot in WWII, and another grandfather who was left behind in the Pacific during WWII. He came home, but, based on what my Father tells me, was never the same. He died before I was born. My step-grandfather was wounded in WWII, and recieved the purple heart. I think I know a little about the military, and this ex-soldier(me) would NEVER do anything but honor a man or woman who served to protect our freedom and interests abroad.

My point was simply that nothing gets done when people spend their time arguing constantly about how to do it. Again, I will say that I appreciate everyone on this site, and I hope this comes to fruition for all of us, so that we, as good people, can change our destiny and aid in the rebuilding of our Country. Merry Christmas!

• Upvote 2

Are people so blind to the facts that they cannot tell truth from fiction?

You people are aware that last week there was car bomb attack in the Green Zone that was an assasination attempt on the Prime Minister right?

You are aware that coup attempt that was stopped was real and you are aware real people have died in these bombing attacks right?

Those are real attacks and real terrorist bombs that killed real people and they caught the guys who did it and have confessions of the crime and you are all are on the side of the terrorist bombers?

The terrorist killed people and tried to over throw the government of Iraq and kill the leadership of Iraq, they get caught and after they get caught they the terrorist call the person who caught them a "dictator" and because the terrorist call Malaki (the person who caught and stopped the terrorist) a name you are all agreeing with the terrorist?

What the hell is going on here? My god people what happened to your brains?

You think the terrorist are good and the leader who caught the terrorist is bad? :blink:

Dictators dont go to courts for warrants, dictators do not call for votes, dictators put hits out on people and do as they please they do not follow democratic rule as we see Maliki doing through all of this.

I swear people have lost all ability to think clearly and just run with one and two word sound bites.

Minds like putty in the hands of the press.

• Upvote 4

Are people so blind to the facts that they cannot tell truth from fiction?

You people are aware that last week there was car bomb attack in the Green Zone that was an assasination attempt on the Prime Minister right?

You are aware that coup attempt that was stopped was real and you are aware real people have died in these bombing attacks right?

Those are real attacks and real terrorist bombs that killed real people and they caught the guys who did it and have confessions of the crime and you are all are on the side of the terrorist bombers?

The terrorist killed people and tried to over throw the government of Iraq and kill the leadership of Iraq, they get caught and after they get caught they the terrorist call the person who caught them a "dictator" and because the terrorist call Malaki (the person who caught and stopped the terrorist) a name you are all agreeing with the terrorist?

What the hell is going on here? My god people what happened to your brains?

You think the terrorist are good and the leader who caught the terrorist is bad? :blink:

Dictators dont go to courts for warrants, dictators do not call for votes, dictators put hits out on people and do as they please they do not follow democratic rule as we see Maliki doing through all of this.

I swear people have lost all ability to think clearly and just run with one and two word sound bites.

Minds like putty in the hands of the press.

Wait did I miss something.......who are you talking about..... I did not read where anyone called Maliki a dictator,...unless I missed something here.

I've read peoples opinions that's it, where do you get off talking to people like this anything. You may want to look in the mirror before throwing stones.

Trying taking a chill pill, you need it....

• Downvote 1

Well, getting out of there on time sure looks great on Obama's resume.

I'd like to see Talibani or Barzani - ANY Kurd leader in charge. It would keep the Kurds from seceding, and put an adult in charge of the other children. They aren't partial to Iran, Turkey, Syria or Saudi Arabia and they seem to be decent business people.

ANNNNND........(wait for it....) They could get the HCL done immediately!

I can think of another word for "toy". ;)

Man in the words of Charlie Murphy "You cant just walk up and slap a man! Back in the day a man ( Allawi ) would smack another man ( Maliki )That was he worst thing that could happen because they would eventually have to duel! That meant somebody had to go, Someone had to Die!" :o

I agree with you, not a war person, but without war you wouldn't be living in the Greatest Country on the planet. USA