Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Maliki Signals He'll Step Aside Peacefully, Easing Tensions In Baghdad !

DinarThug

CNN. Broadcasting While Slipping Maliki A Valium !

Maliki signals he’ll step aside peacefully, easing tensions in Baghdad

BY ADAM ASHTON AND MITCHELL PROTHERO

McClatchy Foreign StaffAugust 12, 2014 Updated 3 hours ago

FacebookTwitterGoogle PlusRedditE-mailPrint

Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki speaks during a press conference with the Sunni Speaker of Parliament Salim al-Jubouri, in Baghdad, Iraq, Saturday, July 26, 2014. (AP Photo/Hadi Mizban)

HADI MIZBAN — AP

BAGHDAD — Tensions eased in Iraq’s capital Tuesday as Prime Minister Nouri al Maliki gave his first signals that he’s preparing to step down from his post as Prime Minister-designate Haider al Abadi began forming a new government.

In a statement, Maliki urged the nation’s military “to stay away from the political crisis,” indicating that he won’t use the armed forces to hold on to his office.

It was a significant reversal in tone for Maliki, who on Monday held a press conference in which he and political allies accused Abadi of a power grab and said they would fight his appointment.

At the same time, Maliki lost one of his most important allies when top officials in the Iranian government publicly embraced Abadi’s nomination.

The word came from Ali Shamkani, a representative of Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khameni. Iranian state news reported that Shamkani voiced Iran’s support for Iraq’s constitutional process and urged Iraqis to unite behind their national government.

Those signals gave a sense of palpable relief to Iraqi leaders who feared that Maliki would refuse to give up his office.

On Sunday, Maliki ordered a cadre of elite troops to reinforce the government complex known as the International Zone, and he gave a defiant speech in which accused Iraqi President Fouad Massoum of constitutional violations.

His actions set off fears that he’d use military force to stay in power even as Iraq’s military is fighting Sunni Muslim extremists from the Islamic State across its northern and western provinces. A bloc of Kurdish lawmakers on Monday released a statement saying they worried Maliki was preparing a coup.

One senior military official with the Kurdish security forces, who have been battling the Islamic State along multiple fronts for nearly two weeks, welcomed the apparent decision to move forward without Maliki in selecting a new prime minister.

“Thank God it looks like this Maliki nightmare is over,” said the official, who asked not to be quoted by name because he did not have permission to comment from Kurdish President Masoud Barzani’s office.

“Moving forward will mean more assistance from the Americans but it will also give new leadership and a sense to urgency to the Iraqi Army. Resolving the succession issue will allow the Iraqi Army to get back to work.”

The official added that as the crisis has unfolded, Iraqi army officials had appeared distracted and uncertain about how to proceed because of Maliki’s tight control over the military and uncertainty about how unified the government would remain.

“These distractions particularly hurt us in Diyala Province where we coordinate more with the Iraqi Army than we do in the north,” he said, referring to an area where Islamic State militants have made inroads, including capturing the town of Jalawal on Monday. “Territory was lost along that front, I think, because the Iraqi army seemed unsure about its leadership situation.”

Abadi has 30 days to form a new government and gain approval for his choices from parliament. He announced that he plans to choose his ministers within a week. He also tweeted that Maliki would have a continuing role in Iraq’s government.

Abadi and Maliki both hail from Iraq’s Dawa Party, a Shiite-based party that battled Saddam Hussein’s Baath Party from exile for decades before Saddam’s ouster by U.S. troops.

Ashton, who reports for The News Tribune in Tacoma, Wash., reported from Baghdad, McClatchy special correspondent Prothero, from Irbil, Iraq. Email: adam.ashton@thenewestribune.com, mprthero@mcclatchydc.com; Twitter: @TNTmilitary, @mitchprothero

Read more here: http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2014/08/12/236019/maliki-signals-hell-step-aside.html#storylink=cpy

• Upvote 4

According to Fox News yesterday (broadcast haven't seen an article) the troops began to split into factions for and against Maliki. I guess it would appear if you don't have the troops backing you, then you apparently don't have the necessary cahones to fight for the office you think is rightfully yours. Welcome to democracy where the will of the people outweigh the wants of the singularity.

As was told to Forest (almost what 20 years ago?), Run Maliki Run! Wonder if Maliki will start shrimping...nahh!

• Upvote 3

I think you're on to something, EE.  I don't think for a minute that Abadi was serious when he said that Maliki would stay on in some role in the government.  Maybe he was just offering a "fake" olive branch to get Maliki to step aside without a civil war breaking out.  

I think Maliki has stalled just long enough to get all of his millions (or maybe billions) of cash out of the country.  Now he can pack his small carry-on bag, and board a plane to Iran!   Good riddance, can't happen fast enough.   

• Upvote 2

I will be shocked if he is given any position.  Abadi is just trying to say the right things as they are both from the dawa party but he will be vetoed as a candidate for anything.  Everyone outside his sect of shiites hates the man and rightfully so.  

• Upvote 1

I think you're on to something, EE.  I don't think for a minute that Abadi was serious when he said that Maliki would stay on in some role in the government.  Maybe he was just offering a "fake" olive branch to get Maliki to step aside without a civil war breaking out.  

I think Maliki has stalled just long enough to get all of his millions (or maybe billions) of cash out of the country.  Now he can pack his small carry-on bag, and board a plane to Iran!   Good riddance, can't happen fast enough.

Well said Paperboy, I always said that things can't move forward until everyone gets their share of the pie. Now that they have theirs we can now take ours :-) let's get this thing moving forward so we can all get together and make some serious plans as well.

• Upvote 2

Maliki will be gone by my estimate, Friday, or sooner. I think he will just be next door, in Iran.

As soon as all the charges against him are filed and Iraq starts the extradition process, Iran will throw his arse under the bus.

Should Iraq tarry too long, the Dutch will nab him for the World Court.

One thing is certain, he will be tried, convicted and will get a death sentence.

• Upvote 2

He must've got the cash................now it's time to run. See ya

Oh yeah, there was an article on that.  he ordered the CBI to transfer funds out of country.  THAT'S ILLEGAL, Embezzling. and abuse of power.  He's so stupid and thinks the money will be his.  They will track him down and all the money stolen over the years.  Him, his son, son in law, and the rest of the goons.  They already won't be part of the new GOI, mainly I think cause they have to run.

• Upvote 1

CNN. Broadcasting On A Camel From The Bank Drive Thru Lane Where Maliki's Ordering Take Out !

Central Bank: the smuggling huge amounts of money outside Iraq, al-Maliki ordered

Agency eighth day

August 12, 2014

BAGHDAD - ((eighth day))

A source in the Iraqi Central Bank for the traders belonging to Prime Minister outgoing Nuri al-Maliki of smuggling huge amounts of money outside Iraq.

The source told ((eighth day)) on Tuesday, al-Maliki said traders began to transfer large sums of money and smuggled out of Iraq under the direct command of al-Maliki.

The source said the Iraqi Central Bank sold at auction on Monday of more than 285 million dollars, a figure fantastically compared to the movements daily.

The source stressed that the sale of these big money, but it comes as directed directly by al-Maliki to dealers close to him after exclude him from the prime minister and the prospect of moving to live outside Iraq in light of the news talking about the demands chased prosecuted.

http://8th-day.com/?p=64271

Oh yeah, there was an article on that.  he ordered the CBI to transfer funds out of country.  THAT'S ILLEGAL, Embezzling. and abuse of power.  He's so stupid and thinks the money will be his.  They will track him down and all the money stolen over the years.  Him, his son, son in law, and the rest of the goons.  They already won't be part of the new GOI, mainly I think cause they have to run.

Yep ! (See Above) ;)

B)B)B)

They may be trying to con him into believing he wont face charges if he stays.... :eagle:  :twocents:

Yep,  sounds about right.   Its what makes the most sense.