Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Security Council SC/10490 IK/641 12/15/2011

Carrello

15 December 2011

Security Council

SC/10490

IK/641

-http://www.un.org/News/Press/docs//2011/sc10490.doc.htm

Department of Public Information • News and Media Division • New York

Security Council Press Statement on Iraq/Kuwait

The following Security Council press statement was issued on 15 December by Council President Vitaly Churkin (Russian Federation):

The members of the Security Council received a briefing from Ambassador Gennady Tarasov, the Secretary-General’s High-Level Coordinator, on the thirty-second report of the Secretary-General, in accordance with paragraph 14 of Security Council resolution 1284 (1999).

The members of the Security Council appreciated the efforts of Ambassador Tarasov and the important work of the International Committee of the Red Cross, the Tripartite Commission and its Technical Subcommittee during the reporting period.

The members of the Security Council welcomed the continued cooperation by the Governments of Iraq and Kuwait, and their high-level commitments to full implementation of all Iraqi obligations to Kuwait under the relevant resolutions. Nevertheless, the members of the Security Council stressed the need for Iraq to build on the steps already taken to fully meet these commitments, specifically finding Kuwaiti or third-country nationals, property and archives. The members of the Security Council once again expressed their deepest sympathy and condolences to the families of those involved.

The members of the Security Council welcomed the active participation by the Governments of Iraq and Kuwait in the efforts undertaken in the framework of the Technical Subcommittee, including the joint exploratory missions in Iraq. The members of the Security Council noted the potential for these missions to become an effective functional mechanism to fully probe the fate of missing persons and urged continued cooperation to translate efforts into tangible results.

The members of the Security Council welcomed the Government of Iraq’s approval for an inter-ministerial committee to lead and coordinate efforts with regard to the Kuwaiti national archives. The members of the Security Council noted the Secretary-General’s concern that no substantial progress had been made on clarifying the fate of the Kuwaiti national archives and noted that their previous calls for greater efforts with regard to the Kuwaiti national archives and other properties had so far yielded limited results. The members of the Security Council therefore repeated their call for an intensification of efforts to clarify the whereabouts of the archives through the inter-ministerial committee and report its results to the United Nations.

The members of the Security Council called for Iraq and Kuwait to continue to act in the spirit of the confidence- and cooperation-building process, which should contribute to the further strengthening of their good neighbourly relations and enhancing of regional stability.

The members of the Security Council supported the Secretary-General’s recommendation to extend the financing of the activities of the High-level Coordinator for a further period of six months in order to continue to build upon the existing momentum towards the full implementation of paragraph 14 of Security Council resolution 1284 (1999).

The members of the Security Council expressed their willingness to consider this matter in the context of their review of the report by the Secretary-General, pursuant to paragraph 5 of resolution 1859 (2008).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For information media • not an official record

Edited by Carrello
  • Upvote 1

Well they did not say they were in or out of Chapter VII

The members of the Security Council supported the Secretary-General’s recommendation to extend the financing of the activities of the High-level Coordinator for a further period of six months in order to continue to build upon the existing momentum towards the full implementation of paragraph 14 of Security Council resolution 1284 (1999).

Not knowing what paragraph 14 of Security Council resolution 1284 (1999) is I can't make it out, more research......can't someone help here????

The following Security Council press statement was issued on 15 December by Council President Vitaly Churkin (Russian Federation):

The members of the Security Council received a briefing from Ambassador Gennady Tarasov, the Secretary-General’s High-Level Coordinator, on the thirty-second report of the Secretary-General, in accordance with paragraph 14 of Security Council resolution 1284 (1999).

The members of the Security Council appreciated the efforts of Ambassador Tarasov and the important work of the International Committee of the Red Cross, the Tripartite Commission and its Technical Subcommittee during the reporting period.

The members of the Security Council welcomed the continued cooperation by the Governments of Iraq and Kuwait, and their high-level commitments to full implementation of all Iraqi obligations to Kuwait under the relevant resolutions. Nevertheless, the members of the Security Council stressed the need for Iraq to build on the steps already taken to fully meet these commitments, specifically finding Kuwaiti or third-country nationals, property and archives. The members of the Security Council once again expressed their deepest sympathy and condolences to the families of those involved.

The members of the Security Council welcomed the active participation by the Governments of Iraq and Kuwait in the efforts undertaken in the framework of the Technical Subcommittee, including the joint exploratory missions in Iraq. The members of the Security Council noted the potential for these missions to become an effective functional mechanism to fully probe the fate of missing persons and urged continued cooperation to translate efforts into tangible results.

The members of the Security Council welcomed the Government of Iraq’s approval for an inter-ministerial committee to lead and coordinate efforts with regard to the Kuwaiti national archives. The members of the Security Council noted the Secretary-General’s concern that no substantial progress had been made on clarifying the fate of the Kuwaiti national archives and noted that their previous calls for greater efforts with regard to the Kuwaiti national archives and other properties had so far yielded limited results. The members of the Security Council therefore repeated their call for an intensification of efforts to clarify the whereabouts of the archives through the inter-ministerial committee and report its results to the United Nations.

The members of the Security Council called for Iraq and Kuwait to continue to act in the spirit of the confidence- and cooperation-building process, which should contribute to the further strengthening of their good neighbourly relations and enhancing of regional stability.

The members of the Security Council expressed their willingness to consider this matter in the context of their review of the report by the Secretary-General, pursuant to paragraph 5 of resolution 1859 (2008).

* *** *http://www.un.org/News/Press/docs/2011/sc10490.doc.htm For information media • not an official record

Edited by yota691
  • Upvote 2

Not knowing what paragraph 14 of Security Council resolution 1284 (1999) is I can't make it out, more research......can't someone help here????

Here is a link to the res http://www.un.org/Depts/unscom/Keyresolutions/sres99-1284.htm

14. Requests the Secretary-General to report to the Council every four months on compliance by Iraq with its obligations regarding the repatriation or return of all Kuwaiti and third country nationals or their remains, to report every six months on the return of all Kuwaiti property, including archives, seized by Iraq, and to appoint a high-level coordinator for these issues

• Upvote 3

I will find it and bring it back into this thread. I am out of Ben and Jerry's anyway. Later. B)

DinarCowboy got it. Good. Schwan's is here with another load.

Edited by Carrello

So I am slightly confused....

If they are going to continue to be under Chapter 7 then can they be a sovereign nation? I understand that they have been released enough to have weapons but can they use the jets etc without being completely out of Chapter 7?

Do they need to be out of Chapter 7 to RV? I would imagine not so much because the IQD has increased in value while under Chapter 7 but if they need it to be released to be able to operate as a country then we will have to wait for 6 more months.

I take it back....I am more than slightly confused :)

• Upvote 2

Iraq wont be around in 6 months. They need to get this stuff done NOW or some country is gonna invade and destroy everything that the US soldiers worked for. They will be crying for the US to come back and save them, just watch. Crazy procrastinating idiots! Iraq cant do what Kuwait asks? Really? Come on!

Iraq will self implode in a month.

Yes, im pissed!

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

They could be looking for these things for the next twenty years. I don't think it's an absolute determining issue as to Chapter 7 release... that's just unreallistic. They could still RV... I believe it's more contingent on tha HCL law, as Adam indicated. Chapter 7 can fall in line... at any time.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Iraq wont be around in 6 months. They need to get this stuff done NOW or some country is gonna invade and destroy everything that the US soldiers worked for. They will be crying for the US to come back and save them, just watch. Crazy procrastinating idiots! Iraq cant do what Kuwait asks? Really? Come on!

Yes, im pissed!

I agree completely and I'm pissed too!

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the post

My personal view of this is

Now chapter 7 will remain in place for a further 6 months so we will see no RV/Ri or what ever you wish to call it until the latest June 2012.

Personally I think that Kuwait & the UN has set an impossible goal for Iraq to achieve & again Kuwait is rolling around like a pig in mud enjoying every moment that Iraq is under the Chapter 7.

Lets be honest the Kuwait invasion was over 11 years ago, an invasion is just as good as war, did the UK, USA & other allies in the first & second world war hold Germany to ransom for the location of the many of thousands lost in battle.

It has to be physically impossible for Iraq to achieve such goals as the UN & Kuwait suggest.

I fully understand the material artefacts, airplanes lost or damaged & so on but how the heck is Iraq going to pin point every Kuwait’s Nationals lost in the invasion after nearly 12 years

Just my opinion but I do think we are all going to be on the rollercoaster for most of 2012 if not part of 2013 as well

On the up side I was informed when I invested in the IQD not to expect any return for 10 years, I am now on my 8th year & counting down

Sorry to be such a downer :( but its better to face the music rather than whistle a tune. :D

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Hey, I found this conversation between Maliki and shabbs discussing a RV date!

Dark Maliki: What the hell am I looking at? When does this happen in the movie?

Colonel Shabibi: You're looking at now, sir. Everything that happens now is happening now.

Dark Maliki: What happened to then?

Colonel Shabibi: We passed then.

Dark Maliki: When?

Colonel Shabibi: Just now. We're at now now.

Dark maliki: Go back to then.

Colonel Shabibi: When?

Dark Maliki: Now!

Colonel Shabibi: Now?

Dark Maliki: Now!

Colonel Shabibi: I can't.

Dark Maliki: Why?

Colonel Shabibi: We missed it.

Dark Maliki: When?

Colonel Shabibi: Just now.

Dark Maliki: When will then be now?

Colonel Shabibi: Soon.

• Upvote 6

Yes, im pissed!

Evened you out remedy, they really do appear to be simply crazy, procrastinating idiots - leaving many in conditions that seem avoidable at this point in their history.

• Upvote 1

They could be looking for these things for the next twenty years. I don't think it's an absolute determining issue as to Chapter 7 release... that's just unreallistic. They could still RV... I believe it's more contingent on tha HCL law, as Adam indicated. Chapter 7 can fall in line... at any time.

Perhaps I am in denial, naive, or stupid, or all of the above, but I sincerely believe that this cannot hold up a country from emerging into the world and international market. There is too much money at stake, and big money is clamoring to get in.

I think they have moved this remains issue, and a valid one, out into the forefront to have the sun shine in, and sure enough, the roaches have scrambled, but now there is an international spotlight on this. Move it out in front, and then move it to the side to be completed later, because there is a train barreling down the track that has no brakes.

For the main reason, alone, the Iraqs have got to be able to defend themselves. They are spending billions on fighter jets. For what?. Mall art?

I do not think this is the end of this. Maybe someone needs to slap me back to reality, but I am having a hard time believing this is it.

At least our troops are home.

• Upvote 3

Perhaps I am in denial, naive, or stupid, or all of the above, but I sincerely believe that this cannot hold up a country from emerging into the world and international market. There is too much money at stake, and big money is clamoring to get in.

I think they have moved this remains issue, and a valid one, out into the forefront to have the sun shine in, and sure enough, the roaches have scrambled, but now there is an international spotlight on this. Move it out in front, and then move it to the side to be completed later, because there is a train barreling down the track that has no brakes.

For the main reason, alone, the Iraqs have got to be able to defend themselves. They are spending billions on fighter jets. For what?. Mall art?

I do not think this is the end of this. Maybe someone needs to slap me back to reality, but I am having a hard time believing this is it.

At least our troops are home.

I see it exactly as you do... Even if it gets moved to the side, it will be continually addressed and worked on. It does not make sense to wait to find every artifact and archive... in this case, it's the intent and effort that matters. ;)

• Upvote 1