Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

The Wildest Things About Trump From Bob Woodward's New Book, 'Fear'

One Word Has People Convinced Mike Pence Wrote Anonymous New York Times Op-Ed

The New York Times’ scathing anti-Donald Trump op-ed, which the paper attributed to “a senior official in the Trump administration,” has inspired a parlor game among people trying to figure out the author’s name.

Some online commentators are leaning toward Vice President Mike Pence based on just one word in the piece.

The unidentified author singles out the late Arizona Sen. John McCain as “a lodestar for restoring honor to public life and our national dialogue.”

The word ― which Merriam-Webster defines as either “a star that leads or guides” or a person who “serves as an inspiration, model, or guide” ― isn’t that commonly used. But Pence apparently says it a lot, according to this mash-up posted on Twitter

The “lodestar” hashtag is already trending on Twitter. While it might sound like a conspiracy theory, audio producer Dan Bloom explained in an interesting Twitter thread why he thinks the use of “lodestar” in the op-ed makes Pence a key suspect.

Bloom wrote that from what he can tell, Pence has been using “lodestar” since at least 2001.

He also acknowledged that the Times described the author as “a senior official in the Trump administration whose identity is known to us and whose job would be jeopardized by its disclosure.” Although Pence is probably the only White House official who can’t be fired, Bloom suggested, probably correctly, that being identified as the author of the op-ed could hurt any presidential aspirations Pence has.

There are some possible holes in the theory.

Business Insider notes that previous stories about White House leakers have said that staffers who supply anonymous quotes to the press have been known to use words or phrases employed by other members of the Trump administration to keep the president guessing.

“To cover my tracks, I usually pay attention to other staffers’ idioms and use that in my background quotes. That throws the scent off me,” one White House official told Axios earlier this year.

Of course, the key piece of evidence suggesting that Pence is not the author may be his own fawning, obsequious praise of Trump.

However, it should also be noted that Scott Roos, a former college classmate of Pence’s, said the future vice president once said that “God told him he would be president,” according to CNN.

Theoretically, he could have written the op-ed to jump-start the dream.

The White House did not immediately respond to a request for comment about the “lodestar” theory.

• Thanks 1

It's getting close to mid terms and when all you have to run on is Trump Derangement Syndrome, impeachment and if the Dems take back the Senate and House right back to higher taxes, DESTROYED economy and <2% growth for the foreseeable future, well you need something to take the voters eyes off the shiny objects. Will be interesting to see who this inside leak is (and I think he/she will be exposed) and what affect dragging out this tired ass ole reporter who wants to recreate Watergate will have on the voters. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, md11fr8dawg said:

, DESTROYED economy

Actually it was "W" who crushed the economy... Remember the great recession started in 2008... It didn't happen in one day, the seed was planted years before... But I do agree with you on whoever wrote the letter, needs to be and will be exposed... If whoever wrote that letter truly believes what they wrote they should have no fear of stepping forward and taking responsibility.

B/A

• Upvote 1

That might be a stretch BA. Yes I remember the Bush years, not a fan, and I remember the Messiah (The One) being only able to get the GDP up to 2% and not consistently. Not to mention running up more debt in 8 years the all other Prez's in history combined while trying to blame Bush. Real class act. Outstanding orator (like Clinton) and Great teleprompter  reader, but a huge EMPTY SUIT. And in less than 2 years Trump has undone most of the "The Ones" terrible policies and expanded the economy  to +4%, but the DemoRats said that could not be done. I call BS.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 5

31 minutes ago, md11fr8dawg said:

It's getting close to mid terms and when all you have to run on is Trump Derangement Syndrome, impeachment and if the Dems take back the Senate and House right back to higher taxes, DESTROYED economy and <2% growth for the foreseeable future, well you need something to take the voters eyes off the shiny objects. Will be interesting to see who this inside leak is (and I think he/she will be exposed) and what affect dragging out this tired ass ole reporter who wants to recreate Watergate will have on the voters. 

Oh, Oh, MD11Fr8Dawg, a Red Rubymeister gave You a Red Ruby Citation for "Display Of Intellectual Speed And Power"!!!

:o       :o       :o

I gave You a well deserved purple trophy instead. I hope You don't mind!!!

:lmao:       :lmao:       :lmao:

Great Post AND Please, Oh, Please, Keep Those Great Posts A Rollin', MD11Fr8Dawg!!!

:twothumbs:       :twothumbs:       :twothumbs:

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, yota691 said:

That about the stupidest thing in the World of Fake News...Desperate (hateful) folks doing desperate (hateful) things..

Absolutely,. 1st of all Mike Pence is a Christian 1st..I just don't think he would ever try to put anything before God.  To write this piece he not only would be hiding his idenity but also bringing about a lie trying to hide himself and not accepting responsibility(which God hates).  I just don't believe that there is anything that would cause him to cave to the swamp or take part in a traitorious act to God or Country.

barb

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, bostonangler said:

Actually it was "W" who crushed the economy... Remember the great recession started in 2008... It didn't happen in one day, the seed was planted years before... But I do agree with you on whoever wrote the letter, needs to be and will be exposed... If whoever wrote that letter truly believes what they wrote they should have no fear of stepping forward and taking responsibility.

B/A

I recall reading a thread recently that was advocating anonymity......I wonder if that person feels the same way about the anonymous author of this op-ed.  ;)

GO RV, then BV

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, md11fr8dawg said:

Trump has undone most

Trump has reduced revenue and increased spending driving the debt higher... We won't really know the effect of his policies for a few years. Same as the Bush policies, it took several  years to see the full effect. Obama's policies only increased debt more. So in reality, since 2000 ( really longer than that if you back to Nixon taking us off the gold standard) our fiscal policies have been a disaster. 

B/A

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, learning all i can said:

Absolutely,. 1st of all Mike Pence is a Christian 1st..I just don't think he would ever try to put anything before God.  To write this piece he not only would be hiding his idenity but also bringing about a lie trying to hide himself and not accepting responsibility(which God hates).  I just don't believe that there is anything that would cause him to cave to the swamp or take part in a traitorious act to God or Country.

barb

that is a lovely thought, but if those politicians who said they were Christians actually followed the teachings, we wouldn't have many of the politicians we see today... There are very few who are honest... Very few who haven't been caught with their pants down rhetorically speaking!!!

B/A

• Upvote 1

I Am Part of the Resistance Inside the Trump Administration

I work for the president but like-minded colleagues and I have vowed to thwart parts of his agenda and his worst inclinations

Sept. 5, 2018

The Times today is taking the rare step of publishing an anonymous Op-Ed essay. We have done so at the request of the author, a senior official in the Trump administration whose identity is known to us and whose job would be jeopardized by its disclosure........

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/05/opinion/trump-white-house-anonymous-resistance.html

Mike Pence and Mike Pompeo deny writing explosive op-ed attacking Trump

A statement from the vice-president’s office says he ‘puts his name on his op-eds’ and secretary of state says op-ed ‘is not mine’

Ben Jacobs in Washington and agencies

Thu 6 Sep 2018 13.37 BST

Vid

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/sep/06/trump-op-ed-new-york-times-who-wrote-it-mike-pence-pompeo-deny-authorship

Edited by umbertino
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, bostonangler said:

that is a lovely thought, but if those politicians who said they were Christians actually followed the teachings, we wouldn't have many of the politicians we see today... There are very few who are honest... Very few who haven't been caught with their pants down rhetorically speaking!!!

B/A

If you notice, I only stood for Mike Pence.  I can't think of another that serves that I could stand for.  There's not one there that can be truely trusted and think that they are working for the betterment of the people and Country.  But, in my eyes Mike Pence lives what he preaches.

barb

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, umbertino said:

I Am Part of the Resistance Inside the Trump Administration

I work for the president but like-minded colleagues and I have vowed to thwart parts of his agenda and his worst inclinations

Sept. 5, 2018

The Times today is taking the rare step of publishing an anonymous Op-Ed essay. We have done so at the request of the author, a senior official in the Trump administration whose identity is known to us and whose job would be jeopardized by its disclosure........

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/05/opinion/trump-white-house-anonymous-resistance.html

Mike Pence and Mike Pompeo deny writing explosive op-ed attacking Trump

A statement from the vice-president’s office says he ‘puts his name on his op-eds’ and secretary of state says op-ed ‘is not mine’

Ben Jacobs in Washington and agencies

Thu 6 Sep 2018 13.37 BST

Vid

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/sep/06/trump-op-ed-new-york-times-who-wrote-it-mike-pence-pompeo-deny-authorship

Call Hannity, Donald.....I'm sure he's narrowed the possible culprits down to a short list.  As always, just my opinion

GO RV, then BV

• Thanks 1

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

OPINION | WHITE HOUSE

September 06, 2018 - 08:30 AM EDT

Bob Woodward's sad failure

Bob Woodward's sad failure   BY NEWT GINGRICH, OPINION CONTRIBUTOR5
The views expressed by contributors are their own and not the view of The HillTWEET SHARE MORE

Bob Woodward’s new book, “Fear: Trump in the White House,” is a sad, lost opportunity.

It will sell a lot of copies, as anti-Trumpers buy it to enjoy the continuous stream of anti-Trump anecdotes and vignettes.

However, as a bestselling anti-Trump diatribe, Woodward adds little to our understanding of President Trump and his White House.There already are a number of left-wing, anti-Trump books. Every day, liberal reporters hunt for proof of alleged Trump White House dysfunction.

Woodward is merely the most famous left-wing, anti-Trump writer. Yet, Woodward could have been much more.

Woodward has the prestige and the reputation that could have allowed him to write a serious book trying to understand how the Trump system actually works (because the deep secret the Washington liberal media keep hiding from is that the Trump system actually does work).

We are in a time of two competing universes for our politics and governance. Woodward could have bridged this gap with a serious book.

Of course, his left-wing friends (and the entire Georgetown cocktail party crowd) would have been enraged by a book that took President Trump seriously. There would be no book parties for that kind of “inappropriate” writing. So, instead, Woodward stayed comfortably (and profitably) inside the left-wing, anti-Trump universe.

He missed the chance to write about the reality in which a very unusual president is achieving historic change in ways none of us fully understands or appreciates.

President Trump has appointed, and gotten confirmed, a record number of judges in less than two years (with a few more to come, including a second Supreme Court justice who will be addedbefore the end of the year).

How have White House Counsel Don McGahn and Federalist Society Executive Vice President Leonard Leo been so successful in finding judges? How have President Trump and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) been so successful at getting these nominees through the Senate?

This is a real-world success story more revealing than Woodward’s collection of anonymous trash talk.

The economy is growing rapidly. From June 2017 to April 2018, the Congressional Budget Office’s 10-year federal revenue estimate jumped from $195 billion to $1.08 trillion for “economic reasons.” This historic level of growth raised so much extra revenue it will virtually pay for the 2017 tax cuts. Also, African-American and Latino unemployment are at their lowest levels in history. Four hundred thousand new manufacturing jobs have been added — with more projected. As the economy continues to accelerate, the CBO will have to continue to produce new estimates, with even greater growth.

How did President Trump achieve this economic turnaround? How did his economic team function so successfully?

The deregulation project on which Trump campaigned, and began to implement as soon as he was inaugurated, has been the most successful rolling back of red tape in American history. It continues to cut regulations and move power out of Washington bureaucracies and back to the American people.

Who has done the actual work? How has it been coordinated? What does it say about potentially six more years of Trump deregulatory efforts?

Renegotiating the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) seems to be nearing success, despite the establishment’s being sure it would fail.

What caused the turnaround? Why are the Europeans talking about serious trade negotiations? Why have the Chinese been so confused in their response to Trump’s trade toughness?

There are a lot of good reasons to be skeptical of the Trump presidency. President Trump is 80 percent historic figure and 20 percent reality TV star. The bigger, historic side of Trump is changing America, in the manner of Andrew Jackson, Franklin Delano Roosevelt and Ronald Reagan. His impact on the judiciary alone would make him a historic president. The smaller, reality TV side of Trump insists on self-destructive tweets, fights unworthy of the President of the United States, and smothering his own positive messages with noisy irrelevancies, which give the liberal media an excuse to avoid covering the important, good news.

The historic Trump is real. In his first two years, he is accomplishing more than any president since FDR. Yet, the media stubbornly focus on the reality TV star and ignore the historic reality.

This is a reality Bob Woodward could have investigated and written about.

We need more good researcher-writers to take all of the Trump phenomenon seriously. Sadly, with Woodward’s book, we just got the usual liberal hostility pretending to be a serious book.

America deserves better.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, learning all i can said:

If you notice, I only stood for Mike Pence.  I can't think of another that serves that I could stand for.  There's not one there that can be truely trusted and think that they are working for the betterment of the people and Country.  But, in my eyes Mike Pence lives what he preaches.

barb

FYI.....Woody Harrelson went to Hanover College with Mike Pence....and had only nice things to say about VP Pence as a young man and remembered he was quite the practicing Christian back then.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2018/05/09/woody-harrelson-recalls-his-college-memories-mike-pence-on-jimmy-kimmel.html

GO RV, then BV

• Thanks 2

Until we know who wrote the NYT article I will hold off on my opinion.  It just seems fishy that 2 months before an election an anonymous article bashing President Trump shows up in a liberal rag.  It has no credibility in my book unless you put your name on the article.  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 4

Just now, Pitcher said:

Until we know who wrote the NYT article I will hold off on my opinion.  It just seems fishy that 2 months before an election an anonymous article bashing President Trump shows up in a liberal rag.  It has no credibility in my book unless you put your name on the article.  

Again....some people, certainly not me....advocate for anonymity.  This was just brought up in another thread a few days ago.  My policy is to circular file every unsigned piece of correspondence I ever receive.

GO RV, then BV

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, bostonangler said:

I agree, but I never thought it would come as a coup from inside the White House.... Now it seems his staff is working to save America from a guy who is incapable of grasping his responsibility as president.

B/A

Sure.....consider the source(s)....and publication ....pure MSM bull crap until proven otherwise.....CL

• Upvote 4

Just now, coorslite21 said:

Sure.....consider the source(s)....and publication ....pure MSM bull crap until proven otherwise.....CL

CL I agree with most people that whoever wrote this letter needs to take ownership or it will be meaningless. What is crazy is the extremist on the left and right will never accept the truth if it does come out. If it was written by Donald Trump Jr., those on the extreme right would turn on him and call him the Deep State blah blah blah. If it turned out The New York Times had written it themselves those extreme left wouldn't care and say it was true.

I think rational people should wait for the author to take ownership. Then rational people will be able to process it. Until then people can speculate all they want, in the end speculation means nothing.

At this point calling The New York Times names doesn't change anything and only adds fuel to the fire. Will the extremist accept the truth, whatever it turns out to be or will they continue rolling with conspiracy? I'm sure some will never let go of what they believe even if they are beaten over the head with truth, but the masses will accept the truth and decide where they go from there. So in the meantime we wait and hope the writer comes forward and presents evidence or goes away in shame.

B/A

• Upvote 1

It’s definitely treasonous.  If I was President Trump I would fire Jeff Sessions and hire a person who would go after ALL law breakers whatever party. One of the reasons Trump won was because he said he was going to drain the swamp.  It appears Jeff Sessions is part of the swamp, fire him and get someone who will find out who the treasonous article writer is and indict him.  

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 3