Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

How the World views Americans

Tiffany23

Great topic ...always a good one for an arguement lol .... by the way America did not invent the Internet it was invented by Sir Timothy John Berners-Lee, a British computer scientist ..... now i will say he was a professor at MIT when he did it lol :twocents:

No way! Al Gore did!

KK

Hey wait a minute guys!

Allow me to ask some questions.

How many people here have had visions only to have family, friends, acquaintances and even complete strangers tell them that you can't succeed, your chances are slim to none to become somebody, invent something, do something great. How many have had your dreams squashed before you ever got going? Now whose fault is that? The people talking trash or yours because you threw the towel in before you ever got started? You bought the lie.

I've been to countries that don't give their people opportunities like we have here in the good ole USA and those people want to come to America because they have family, friends and others telling them to go to America and become anything you desire! I have held conversations with people from other countries that are here realizing their dreams/visions. I have also met people that were born here and they are living the dream.

What other country gives you the freedom and opportunities to succeed, to excel and to better not only your standard of living, but your loved ones too? America is great and will remain great because we still have that opportunity to pursue life, liberty and happiness. We have an awesome spirit in this country, one that allows us to lead the world.

Are we going through rough or difficult times, possibly but let's ponder that for a moment. Rough compared to what/who? Who is setting the standard? Is it Tiff, Adam or any other joe here? Being pressed down is what brings the best out in us if we will allow it to. I'm not throwing the towel in on America just yet.

Now having said that, are there those who think negatively about America or Americans, yes. Do they have reason to, some do. But I've also read discussions on this forum where people from other countries have been taught that capitalism is bad, America is the devil and their leaders only allowed their people to see the ghettos, and other parts of America that don't show our best side. And let's be honest, some people in our ghettos live better than people in other parts of the world.

Ask some people that are here from Iraq what they were taught about America and capitalism. I've read the discussions about them going home and being asked by family and friends at home; is America as bad as we've been taught. Guess what they tell these people asking the questions, we've been lied to. America is beautiful, you should see this or that; oh and in America they have this or the people do this.

Are there jerks in America? yup! So does that make everybody in America a jerk, nope! I've met some pretty cool people here in America. A lot more good people than the not so good.

Some people live with a critical spirit, they can't find the good because they put blinders on. I don't care where they are from, you'll find them here and you'll find them in other countries too. Bottom line is this country has given many people blessings and this country has been a great blessing to many people all over the world. I'm proud to be an American and I still live in the greatest country in the world!

God bless each and everyone of you!

• Upvote 5

If it were not for us (USA) all of Europe, with the exception of Switzerland, you would all be speaking german. Also, if it were not for us this world not exist as we know it today, because we lead this world and we are always the ones to get our hands dirty. If it were not for us, the EU could not defend itself against other world powers. i.e. China, Russia, etc. So bring on the hate, its all out of jealously.

Thanks for the -1 rating. The truth hurts doesn't it.

The rest of the world is trash so who cares

Obama is trash over anything talked about on this thread.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

As many of you know, I’m a British/American half breed that has lived throughout the world. I’m currently living in New Zealand, but have lived in the US, UK, Turkey, Japan, Germany and Canada. Almost all of which where on US military bases, as I’m an AF brat.

Anyway, after work each night, I wander down to my “local” were I meet up with my “international” mates, and we discuss our day…but eventually after a few pints, we get around to politics, sex and money…the good stuff. My friends are made up of Kiwis (New Zealanders), Aussies, Brits, Irish, South Americans and even Dutch. We are all in our mid to late 20s. Being the only Yank (Mum is a Brit and my father is a Yank), I often get asked why Americans do what they do. I try to answer their questions based on factual studies, vs my own experience, because I think after living abroad most of my life, my experiences are tainted. But I ran across this article, which I thought pretty much captures how other cultures perceive us. Almost everyone of them, I could bring up personal experiences as evidence to support it. I’m posting this, so that if you are open minded, you will get a perception of what other people in the world think of Americans.

One more thing, when I try to present this to the “average Joe” back home, I am often meant with some type of egotistical stance like: Well, sure they can think that way about us, but who is the first country they call upon, when they need help?

As this list shows, for the most part, the rest of the world would simply like us to mind our own business. That is, they aren’t keeping score of how often we’ve “saved them” whether it was natural disasters or Nazis. Think of it like this, you have a rich uncle that whenever you run into problems (i.e. car breaks down, rent due) he helps you out. Do you thank him, sure…but afterwards, you don’t give him a second thought. In addition, anything we do to help out another country usually makes them suspicious, as in, what did American gain out of this?

This list will no doubt cause a storm - pls be calm and debate nicely

Anyway…here is the article:

It is a very easy thing to hate the United States of America right now. But why? We stormed the beaches at Normandy, saved Europe from economic ruin with the Marshall plan (thanks for paying off the loan, Norway. Anybody else? Anybody? Bueller?), invented the Internet, uprooted tyrants, and give foreign aid away like it was candy. We want to be the good guys and thought we were. Yet we just can’t seem to get any love these days. How’d we get here? Well… [JFrater: as the representative of Listverse, I would like to say that we don't hate America - in fact, I had one of my greatest holidays there. !]

Center of the Universe

The first reason: we act like the world revolves around us. America presumes much for a country generously dated at 300 years old. China has latrines ten times older than that. A quick example: many countries play baseball, but only we have the “World Series”. We’re getting better about our egocentrism, but it’s been a loooong time coming. And don’t get me started about our tourists. Just smile and take the money- they’re loud, but they’ll be gone in a week.

We Win Everything

Okay, I’ll concede Vietnam, tennis (but we don’t care) and Kenyan marathon runners. But we win damn near everything else, eventually. The Space Race. The Cold War. Tour de France. The list goes on and on. Even we hate the Olympics now that our professionals are allowed to participate straight up with the underaged/doping communist nations. It’s boring for us, but as a Red Sox/Bolton Wanderers fan, I know the angst that chronic losing against bigger and better funded opponents generates. And if we don’t have the best athletes/scientists/entertainers, we’ll make sure they get a chance to immigrate while others wait in line. That’s gotta sting. Oh, Yao Ming and Ichiro say “Hi”.

We Eat Everything

Why? Because we can. Americans are the second fattest industrialized nation per capita (sorry, Australia). But as always, we make up for it in volume. We can afford automobiles so we don’t ride bikes or walk anywhere except for fun, and thanks to abundant agricultural surpluses, ANYTHING we want to eat is readily available from takeaway restaurants and convenience stores. Some of our refrigerators could hide an entire human body. And we like the fatty stuff, because fat tastes good. This is NOT a good thing, and our global franchises (KFC, McDonald’s) are already infecting nations that traditionally had healthier diets (are you listening, Japan?)

We Made and Have Nukes

The United States is the inventor and only wartime practitioner of nuclear weapons (never mind that using them prevented an invasion that would make the Iraqi insurgency look like a bj. “Operation Downfall”, the now-declassified US plan to invade Japan, estimated 1 Million American casualties alone). Lax security protocols (and clever spying) spread the secret to the USSR and after that the genie got out of the bottle. Many countries now have atomic weapons, and with no clear Cold War counterpart to US supremacy, the balance has shifted, and the peace dividend has not been kind post 9/11.

Natural Resources

Though accounting for only 5 percent of the world’s population, Americans consume 26 percent of the world’s energy. (American Almanac), and we are the world’s largest single emitter of carbon dioxide, accounting for 23 percent of energy-related carbon emissions worldwide. (U.S. Department of Energy). This, while worldwide, some 2 billion people are currently without electricity. (U.S. Department of Energy). The good news is that among industrialized and developing countries, Canada consumes per capita the most energy in the world, and the United Sates is only second. Italy consumes the least among industrialized countries (that’s because they still drive Fiats, which “conserve” energy by breaking every other day).

International Meddling

The United States has the most advanced army in the world. We station our military in other countries at their “request”, which is a source of much seething and hurt national pride. From Banana Republics, to the Cold War, to the War on Terror, we routinely interfere in the business of other countries to make the world safe for our interests, whether anybody asked for it or not. Even if the intentions are both right and good, many countries resent our involvement in their affairs on sheer principle: they’d rather f*** it up themselves. Are you listening, North Korea?

We Export Trash Culture

A thriving market economy and near total freedom of expression liberate Americans to pursue almost every endeavor imaginable, resulting in some of the greatest discoveries and inventions in the history of man, from the first practical light bulb to powered flight, polio vaccines, radio and TV, space exploration, the Internet, and unfortunately, everything in between. So that means ubercrap like Jerry Springer and Britney Spears gets exported worldwide. No, I’m being too kind there– “force fed” worldwide. Other cultures despise this with a mix of dread, envy, and loathing. They can’t figure out how to cull the good from the bad out of this torrent (neither can we, btw)—but once it takes hold, it won’t let go. This what the Islamic world fears most. Tanks, they understand. An educated, employed woman horny and clubbing on Friday night they simply can’t fathom. And it scares the crap out of them.

It’s Fashionable

Despite the hyperbole bandied online, strong political opinions won’t get your door kicked in at 3 AM like in the Gulag Archipelago. There are no Stalinist purges or killing fields here. And the FBI/CIA/ATF/DEA/PTA will not shoot you on sight simply because you speak against The Surge or march against the Economic Stimulus Plan. But it’s certainly fun to claim a fear of it! You become an instant radical and feel intellectually enlightened to boot– patriotism is an uncritical, reflexive act, right?– only a deep thinker would hate his country (yet stay on to enjoy its privileges). And don’t worry about proof, because all that matters is the accusation. Volume and conviction win the day, so toss that bibliography—grab half the story and make the rest up. If you get caught in a logic box, claim satire. Other countries see this lack of consequences and pile on.

We Don’t Finish the Job

From Vietnam to Bill Clinton and Monica Lewinski to “Mission Accomplished” in Iraq to finding Osama Bin Laden, we seem to do most of the work, but keep a lot of things hanging on, never quite finished. Eventually the answer makes itself known, but it usually takes time, and involves help from others after a lot of (necessary) heated discussions. Maybe we should try this as as a first course of action more often…

We Act Unilaterally

We are a nation of doers, and our errors (when they occur) will be from acts of commission, not omission (Hypocrisy Alert: Darfur). Sometimes that’s a great thing, like sending Kruschev’s missiles back home, breaking Gaddafi’s/Qaddafi’s/Kaddafi’s nuclear ambitions (his nukes are now safely tucked away in Oak Ridge, Tennessee), or winning the Cold War. Other times, it blows up in our (and often, YOUR) face. Our attempts to spread democracy worldwide, intended to let others enjoy the same freedoms and advantages that we have, sometimes result in innocent people dying. We must stop to remember the Somalia embassy, Madrid and Fiji and Lockerbie 101 bombings, along with the millions of nameless others who suffered and died in countries that are not free. The US is the biggest face opposing these things that actually does anything (not just talk, FRANCE. You railed about Guantanamo but when it came time to release prisoners you took ONE.), but our allies often bear the brunt of our “foreign” wars, because the enemy cannot reach us. That has changed recently, and while it has altered our perspective, it has not altered our resolve

http://listverse.com...o-hate-america/

Tiff :)

Tiff stick with your occupy wallstreet trash and do us a favor, take your liberalism elsewhere. Although I have to admit you look much better than 95% of them. You have obviously been indoctrinated by your liberal professors in college. Let me guess, California? If you dont like the great USA than leave. We (USA) are the most exceptional and most powerful country on the planet by far. We just need to get your president and the rest of you liberal morons and send them where they belong. Back to community organizing or the fast food industry.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

The rest of the world is trash so who cares

Must be a friend of Netanyahu......that's what he and his congress buddies think of us....

Message to Tiff.....well done on a great article. Lotsa Luv from Aussie.

see thats exactly what the OP was talking about some Americans think there better than the rest of the world ...... if you truely are a religious person you will know that it's not the amount charity, money, goodwill you give it's the intention / agenda behind it ..... by the way in the end we all answer to the same higher power

Great reply, Machine!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

That's all well and fine in a sane world, But when the wolves are at the door and 4,000 of our own people are killed, like in 9/11, we do have a tendency to get envolved in other countries affairs. If we do nothing and stand on the side lines, eventually they will one day nuke one or two of our cities. Radical Islam wants us dead, all of us,including our allies. If you leave countries like Iran and radical groups like Hezbolah unchecked, they will be back at our door again and again killing our people. That's why we get involved in other countries affairs. So we can live free and live in peace. FREEDOM IS NOT FREE!!! Wake up people.

Radical Islam does NOT want you dead. To the best of my understanding.....it seems as though Your leaders do...the UN does...the WHO does....the Bush family does...Zionists do....they want a global population reduction of 85%....and that will likely include the both of us......The 4000 innocents who died and continue to die because of the staged and well prepared 9/11 event were not killed by Islam people.

Islam folk just wanna be left alone....so just leave them alone already. They were NOT responsible for 9/11. Jeez!

Was it Mayor Guilliano who ordered that WTC Building 7 was to be "pulled"? As soon as the order was given.....the building was brought down.

Here is what you need to understand......to PULL a building takes AT LEAST a week's worth of serious planning and consideration. Doesn't that tell you that the explosives were in place already, well before the date of 9/11 ????????

They bloomin well brought that building down within a few short hours after the order was given. It JUST doesn't work like that. It just does NOT work like that.

Ask ANY reputable demolition company experienced in imploding buildings.....How long does it take...and what sort of planning does it take to bring such a building down.

My dear sir......building 7 had been prepared at least a week before the big 9/11 show.

My sincere condolences to the families of those who were sacrificed by those evil people responsible.....

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 6

True. I also worked & lived in many of those countries as a contractor & 20 years military.

While enjoying my meal at a nice restaurant in Caravino Italy, several drunken Yanks walked in with boom box blazing aloud of rap music. When asked nice to turn off the music, the Yanks cranked it up louder. They demanded to be served 1st.

This was my 1st impression of how Italians view Americans.

Not slamming, just my own observations & experiences.

• Upvote 2

A very good video to enlighten all......and this is now a few years old...but still right on the money.

You need to know that Ian Crane used to work for Slumberger...a major oil company....he is British, but is married to a US Citizen and has lived for some time in the US, as well as the middle East.

http://wideeyecinema.com/?p=592

Enjoy!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If it were not for us (USA) all of Europe, with the exception of Switzerland, you would all be speaking german. Also, if it were not for us this world not exist as we know it today, because we lead this world and we are always the ones to get our hands dirty. If it were not for us, the EU could not defend itself against other world powers. i.e. China, Russia, etc. So bring on the hate, its all out of jealously.

They are speaking German in Switzerland...

• Upvote 3

You are talking about things that you know nothing about. Without getting into a debate about how long it took America to become engaged in the second world war suffice to say that as allies fighting against a fanatic like Hitler we formed a relationship which has lasted right up to today as far as our armed forces are concerned, this is as a result of mutual responses by our respective governments to threats of various kinds from dictatorial leaders inflicting genocide on their own countrymen, to terrorist groups inflicting carnage on our streets. In all honesty you need to realise that America has always had the backing of our forces, Vietnam you had Australian and New Zealand units, Iraq and Afghanistan has been supported by multiple European Army and Air Force units, Libya your forces were in support of our initiative to clear out another dictator, as and when your country joins in conflict with an enemy force and only American lives are lost to such an action, then and only then claim to be my or my countries saviour. Your use of "we lead this world", "get our hands dirty", "if it wasn't for us" shows a lack of something in your life, maybe a small "weener" whatever, but please try and think (engage brain before opening mouth) before making such stupid remarks that we, that have been in close company of Americans for years, absolutely hate to see your sort of c**p, and we keep our friendship through understanding that allowances are made by both sides for such stupidity

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

I've had the good fortune of traveling a bunch on my job and had spare time to spend in the countries - I have always had great relationships with the locals - extremely interesting conversations, kindnesses abound and parted company with fond and wonderful memories. I hoped that I left a lasting good impression of what a U.S. citizen is really like and all about. When in Rome...... :D

• Upvote 1

Tiff stick with your occupy wallstreet trash and do us a favor, take your liberalism elsewhere. Although I have to admit you look much better than 95% of them. You have obviously been indoctrinated by your liberal professors in college. Let me guess, California? If you dont like the great USA than leave. We (USA) are the most exceptional and most powerful country on the planet by far. We just need to get your president and the rest of you liberal morons and send them where they belong. Back to community organizing or the fast food industry.

Sxesss, you Sir are a shining example of what the rest of the world calls an "Ugly American". Thank you for taking the time to provide such an outstanding example. Although I must admit, anybody who told you to be yourself, simply couldn’t have given you worse advice…

Oh and babe, I’m already living outside America…and no, actually I went to school in Colorado.

Other than a few posters, I am proud of all of your responses, thank you for providing your own insight. BTW, there is nothing wrong with being proud of one’s country, but the point of this posting was to provide an overview of how others throughout the world perceive Americans. As the article states, regardless if our intentions are good and right, it may not be perceived that way by others. To assume you know what is right for a Brit, a Kiwi, a Paddy, an Auzzie or a Canuck is being at best, grossly presumptuous.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I see the Madmen and Zealots Forest has sprouted a new species. Isn't that nice! <_<

GO RV, then BV

• Upvote 2

Radical Islam does NOT want you dead. To the best of my understanding.....it seems as though Your leaders do...the UN does...the WHO does....the Bush family does...Zionists do....they want a global population reduction of 85%....and that will likely include the both of us......The 4000 innocents who died and continue to die because of the staged and well prepared 9/11 event were not killed by Islam people.

Islam folk just wanna be left alone....so just leave them alone already. They were NOT responsible for 9/11. Jeez!

Was it Mayor Guilliano who ordered that WTC Building 7 was to be "pulled"? As soon as the order was given.....the building was brought down.

Here is what you need to understand......to PULL a building takes AT LEAST a week's worth of serious planning and consideration. Doesn't that tell you that the explosives were in place already, well before the date of 9/11 ????????

They bloomin well brought that building down within a few short hours after the order was given. It JUST doesn't work like that. It just does NOT work like that.

Ask ANY reputable demolition company experienced in imploding buildings.....How long does it take...and what sort of planning does it take to bring such a building down.

My dear sir......building 7 had been prepared at least a week before the big 9/11 show.

My sincere condolences to the families of those who were sacrificed by those evil people responsible.....

Interesting indeed

:lmao: buwhahaha :lmao:

me been arguing for years that we should and about time that we leave the international community alone. we have our own problems in our own country to worry about instead of F-ing around in someone else country and try to fix THEIR problems...for crying out loud we cant even fix our own....talk about being so blind that you cant even read between the lines. |!| but than again....wot if we do leave....

it will be an interesting F-uped global mess if we did decide to ignore wot going on in the rest of the world. like the article said...basically, he have it all, we made it all, and we are spoiled for have what we have. say we....put our foot down and told the global community. Stop...."Hammer-Time".....no.... *shakes head* i meant stop-'Wot ever country'-we're no longer going to help you! it your mess...use your OWN money, your OWN resources to clean up YOUR mess. so say "Wot ever country"....'but our people are starving, sick, and dying!!!' We say.....'So, sorry. thats YOUR problems we can not afford to have you on our coat tails any longer....so of y'all been around longer than we have...and yet you still cant figure it out....its about time you grew up'...... damn....cold hearted the US has become. i don't know wither it is better to be hatted because "We have & We Give" or be hatted because "We Have & Say F-off"..??? :huh::blink:

Edited by Shinnidan
  • Upvote 3

:lmao: buwhahaha :lmao:

it will be an interesting F-uped global mess if we did decide to ignore wot going on in the rest of the world.

It's already a "F-uped global mess". It is clear that our policies are digging us a deeper and deeper hole. Intentions aside, our methods don't work. Our influence and sense of entitlement due to investment may be the whole problem. Nobody wants to ignore what's going on, but maybe we should stop dictating it.

Edited by 40oz
  • Downvote 1

Great topic ...always a good one for an arguement lol .... by the way America did not invent the Internet it was invented by Sir Timothy John Berners-Lee, a British computer scientist ..... now i will say he was a professor at MIT when he did it lol :twocents:

Sir Timothy John Berners-Lee??????? Is that an alias for Al Gore????

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I am no doubt banging my head against a brick wall but without resorting to sarcasm can I say, ANY reputable demolition company will explain the difference between a drop and a implosion. A steel structure with "cleats" to join and support beams ( ¬I ) put under the extreme temperature + the weight of the building above cannot stop the initial 12Ft. drop experienced on that horrendous occasion. Kinetic downwards energy was contained within the vertical steel structure by an almost miraculous chance. Even with an absolutely empty building ( no people ) and given ca-rte Blanche to rip out fitments to access the required points to place explosives to try to induce such a drop, a week doesn't scratch the surface of the time required. Question why such buildings were put up when a great many debates have argued about the effects of fire on steel, and the possible catastrophic outcome of such a scenario.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

You are talking about things that you know nothing about. Without getting into a debate about how long it took America to become engaged in the second world war suffice to say that as allies fighting against a fanatic like Hitler we formed a relationship which has lasted right up to today as far as our armed forces are concerned, this is as a result of mutual responses by our respective governments to threats of various kinds from dictatorial leaders inflicting genocide on their own countrymen, to terrorist groups inflicting carnage on our streets. In all honesty you need to realise that America has always had the backing of our forces, Vietnam you had Australian and New Zealand units, Iraq and Afghanistan has been supported by multiple European Army and Air Force units, Libya your forces were in support of our initiative to clear out another dictator, as and when your country joins in conflict with an enemy force and only American lives are lost to such an action, then and only then claim to be my or my countries saviour. Your use of "we lead this world", "get our hands dirty", "if it wasn't for us" shows a lack of something in your life, maybe a small "weener" whatever, but please try and think (engage brain before opening mouth) before making such stupid remarks that we, that have been in close company of Americans for years, absolutely hate to see your sort of c**p, and we keep our friendship through understanding that allowances are made by both sides for such stupidity

If you would pull your head out of you butt and stop thinking about mens "weeners" you might have a clue. I was responding to Tiffs liberal ranting. Shew fly.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Per topic-I don't care what the rest of the world thinks about the USA. Under normal circumstances during my daily routine do I pause to think of other countries, no.IMO If its not for political,economic, or defensive reasons we should'nt be involved in others business.Best to all