Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

How the World views Americans

Tiffany23

As many of you know, I’m a British/American half breed that has lived throughout the world. I’m currently living in New Zealand, but have lived in the US, UK, Turkey, Japan, Germany and Canada. Almost all of which where on US military bases, as I’m an AF brat.

Anyway, after work each night, I wander down to my “local” were I meet up with my “international” mates, and we discuss our day…but eventually after a few pints, we get around to politics, sex and money…the good stuff. My friends are made up of Kiwis (New Zealanders), Aussies, Brits, Irish, South Americans and even Dutch. We are all in our mid to late 20s. Being the only Yank (Mum is a Brit and my father is a Yank), I often get asked why Americans do what they do. I try to answer their questions based on factual studies, vs my own experience, because I think after living abroad most of my life, my experiences are tainted. But I ran across this article, which I thought pretty much captures how other cultures perceive us. Almost everyone of them, I could bring up personal experiences as evidence to support it. I’m posting this, so that if you are open minded, you will get a perception of what other people in the world think of Americans.

One more thing, when I try to present this to the “average Joe” back home, I am often meant with some type of egotistical stance like: Well, sure they can think that way about us, but who is the first country they call upon, when they need help?

As this list shows, for the most part, the rest of the world would simply like us to mind our own business. That is, they aren’t keeping score of how often we’ve “saved them” whether it was natural disasters or Nazis. Think of it like this, you have a rich uncle that whenever you run into problems (i.e. car breaks down, rent due) he helps you out. Do you thank him, sure…but afterwards, you don’t give him a second thought. In addition, anything we do to help out another country usually makes them suspicious, as in, what did American gain out of this?

This list will no doubt cause a storm - pls be calm and debate nicely

Anyway…here is the article:

It is a very easy thing to hate the United States of America right now. But why? We stormed the beaches at Normandy, saved Europe from economic ruin with the Marshall plan (thanks for paying off the loan, Norway. Anybody else? Anybody? Bueller?), invented the Internet, uprooted tyrants, and give foreign aid away like it was candy. We want to be the good guys and thought we were. Yet we just can’t seem to get any love these days. How’d we get here? Well… [JFrater: as the representative of Listverse, I would like to say that we don't hate America - in fact, I had one of my greatest holidays there. !]

Center of the Universe

The first reason: we act like the world revolves around us. America presumes much for a country generously dated at 300 years old. China has latrines ten times older than that. A quick example: many countries play baseball, but only we have the “World Series”. We’re getting better about our egocentrism, but it’s been a loooong time coming. And don’t get me started about our tourists. Just smile and take the money- they’re loud, but they’ll be gone in a week.

We Win Everything

Okay, I’ll concede Vietnam, tennis (but we don’t care) and Kenyan marathon runners. But we win damn near everything else, eventually. The Space Race. The Cold War. Tour de France. The list goes on and on. Even we hate the Olympics now that our professionals are allowed to participate straight up with the underaged/doping communist nations. It’s boring for us, but as a Red Sox/Bolton Wanderers fan, I know the angst that chronic losing against bigger and better funded opponents generates. And if we don’t have the best athletes/scientists/entertainers, we’ll make sure they get a chance to immigrate while others wait in line. That’s gotta sting. Oh, Yao Ming and Ichiro say “Hi”.

We Eat Everything

Why? Because we can. Americans are the second fattest industrialized nation per capita (sorry, Australia). But as always, we make up for it in volume. We can afford automobiles so we don’t ride bikes or walk anywhere except for fun, and thanks to abundant agricultural surpluses, ANYTHING we want to eat is readily available from takeaway restaurants and convenience stores. Some of our refrigerators could hide an entire human body. And we like the fatty stuff, because fat tastes good. This is NOT a good thing, and our global franchises (KFC, McDonald’s) are already infecting nations that traditionally had healthier diets (are you listening, Japan?)

We Made and Have Nukes

The United States is the inventor and only wartime practitioner of nuclear weapons (never mind that using them prevented an invasion that would make the Iraqi insurgency look like a bj. “Operation Downfall”, the now-declassified US plan to invade Japan, estimated 1 Million American casualties alone). Lax security protocols (and clever spying) spread the secret to the USSR and after that the genie got out of the bottle. Many countries now have atomic weapons, and with no clear Cold War counterpart to US supremacy, the balance has shifted, and the peace dividend has not been kind post 9/11.

Natural Resources

Though accounting for only 5 percent of the world’s population, Americans consume 26 percent of the world’s energy. (American Almanac), and we are the world’s largest single emitter of carbon dioxide, accounting for 23 percent of energy-related carbon emissions worldwide. (U.S. Department of Energy). This, while worldwide, some 2 billion people are currently without electricity. (U.S. Department of Energy). The good news is that among industrialized and developing countries, Canada consumes per capita the most energy in the world, and the United Sates is only second. Italy consumes the least among industrialized countries (that’s because they still drive Fiats, which “conserve” energy by breaking every other day).

International Meddling

The United States has the most advanced army in the world. We station our military in other countries at their “request”, which is a source of much seething and hurt national pride. From Banana Republics, to the Cold War, to the War on Terror, we routinely interfere in the business of other countries to make the world safe for our interests, whether anybody asked for it or not. Even if the intentions are both right and good, many countries resent our involvement in their affairs on sheer principle: they’d rather f*** it up themselves. Are you listening, North Korea?

We Export Trash Culture

A thriving market economy and near total freedom of expression liberate Americans to pursue almost every endeavor imaginable, resulting in some of the greatest discoveries and inventions in the history of man, from the first practical light bulb to powered flight, polio vaccines, radio and TV, space exploration, the Internet, and unfortunately, everything in between. So that means ubercrap like Jerry Springer and Britney Spears gets exported worldwide. No, I’m being too kind there– “force fed” worldwide. Other cultures despise this with a mix of dread, envy, and loathing. They can’t figure out how to cull the good from the bad out of this torrent (neither can we, btw)—but once it takes hold, it won’t let go. This what the Islamic world fears most. Tanks, they understand. An educated, employed woman horny and clubbing on Friday night they simply can’t fathom. And it scares the crap out of them.

It’s Fashionable

Despite the hyperbole bandied online, strong political opinions won’t get your door kicked in at 3 AM like in the Gulag Archipelago. There are no Stalinist purges or killing fields here. And the FBI/CIA/ATF/DEA/PTA will not shoot you on sight simply because you speak against The Surge or march against the Economic Stimulus Plan. But it’s certainly fun to claim a fear of it! You become an instant radical and feel intellectually enlightened to boot– patriotism is an uncritical, reflexive act, right?– only a deep thinker would hate his country (yet stay on to enjoy its privileges). And don’t worry about proof, because all that matters is the accusation. Volume and conviction win the day, so toss that bibliography—grab half the story and make the rest up. If you get caught in a logic box, claim satire. Other countries see this lack of consequences and pile on.

We Don’t Finish the Job

From Vietnam to Bill Clinton and Monica Lewinski to “Mission Accomplished” in Iraq to finding Osama Bin Laden, we seem to do most of the work, but keep a lot of things hanging on, never quite finished. Eventually the answer makes itself known, but it usually takes time, and involves help from others after a lot of (necessary) heated discussions. Maybe we should try this as as a first course of action more often…

We Act Unilaterally

We are a nation of doers, and our errors (when they occur) will be from acts of commission, not omission (Hypocrisy Alert: Darfur). Sometimes that’s a great thing, like sending Kruschev’s missiles back home, breaking Gaddafi’s/Qaddafi’s/Kaddafi’s nuclear ambitions (his nukes are now safely tucked away in Oak Ridge, Tennessee), or winning the Cold War. Other times, it blows up in our (and often, YOUR) face. Our attempts to spread democracy worldwide, intended to let others enjoy the same freedoms and advantages that we have, sometimes result in innocent people dying. We must stop to remember the Somalia embassy, Madrid and Fiji and Lockerbie 101 bombings, along with the millions of nameless others who suffered and died in countries that are not free. The US is the biggest face opposing these things that actually does anything (not just talk, FRANCE. You railed about Guantanamo but when it came time to release prisoners you took ONE.), but our allies often bear the brunt of our “foreign” wars, because the enemy cannot reach us. That has changed recently, and while it has altered our perspective, it has not altered our resolve

http://listverse.com...o-hate-america/

Tiff :)

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 5

In addition, anything we do to help out another country usually makes them suspicious, as in, what did American gain out of this?

The above excerpt from your post kinda sums it up, Tiff. Right or wrong, people in other countries always wonder: "are we playing the "WIIFM" game when we meddle (with all alleged good intentions)?"

You post should not cause a storm, as there was nothing you said that I would call cantankerous. IMO, people in other countries have good reason to challenge America's motives. We, the people that reside here feel quite the same. I might add this: In my experience traveling abroad, it is not Americans that they take umbrage a lot with, -- it is our government. Right or wrong? IMO -- well, you probably know my opinion --- B)

NICE POST. THANKS TIFF.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Good post Tiff..I've traveled extensively and lived abroad as well, so I can relate to what you're saying. America has both the good and the bad...maybe we will get it totally right someday, we're still a young country. I think the majority of our problems, and the reason that many countries hold Americans in a bad light, is the simple fact that our government is comprised of self-serving, corrupt idiots that are continually making the same bad decisions over and over, and over again. If we can change/fix that, I think everything else would fall into line. I also agree that we should stay out of everone's business, and focus on our problems here at home. this is still a great country, we just need a change of direction in our leadership....Thx for the post

• Upvote 3

The rest of the world collectively does not export near the charity that the US exports, because we are a nation founded on Judeo-Christian principals and we won't stop giving, regardless of what others think. we answer to a much higher power.

see thats exactly what the OP was talking about some Americans think there better than the rest of the world ...... if you truely are a religious person you will know that it's not the amount charity, money, goodwill you give it's the intention / agenda behind it ..... by the way in the end we all answer to the same higher power

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 3

see thats exactly what the OP was talking about some Americans think there better than the rest of the world ...... if you truely are a religious person you will know that it's not the amount charity, money, goodwill you give it's the intention / agenda behind it ..... by the way in the end we all answer to the same higher power

Wait a second!!!!!!!! I just read ten reasons...why the American culture/system is bad and how other countries view us. Fine,I get it, we all should do better. Point conceded. But God forbid somebody mentions the good we Americans do and eyebrows go up and the "see, see.....BAD AMERICAN" whine comes out. So it goes both ways.

Edited by blaineage
  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

Wait a second!!!!!!!! I just read ten reasons...why the American culture/system is bad and how other countries view us. Fine,I get it, we all should do better. Point conceded. But God forbid somebody mentions the good we Americans do and eyebrows go up and the "see, see.....BAD AMERICAN" whine comes out. So it goes both ways.

I'm Irish .... I really dont care, just trying to stir it up a bit .... love a good rant lol

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

The rest of the world is trash so who cares

Well blainage you see that they are not all as reasonable as yourself, and Tiff is not 100% accurate with some of her points but if we can not allow a bit of leeway between us all the world would be in conflict, verbally or otherwise. Machine has celtic got to import supporters now then, :o

• Upvote 3

As many of you know, I’m a British/American half breed that has lived throughout the world. I’m currently living in New Zealand, but have lived in the US, UK, Turkey, Japan, Germany and Canada. Almost all of which where on US military bases, as I’m an AF brat.

Anyway, after work each night, I wander down to my “local” were I meet up with my “international” mates, and we discuss our day…but eventually after a few pints, we get around to politics, sex and money…the good stuff. My friends are made up of Kiwis (New Zealanders), Aussies, Brits, Irish, South Americans and even Dutch. We are all in our mid to late 20s. Being the only Yank (Mum is a Brit and my father is a Yank), I often get asked why Americans do what they do. I try to answer their questions based on factual studies, vs my own experience, because I think after living abroad most of my life, my experiences are tainted. But I ran across this article, which I thought pretty much captures how other cultures perceive us. Almost everyone of them, I could bring up personal experiences as evidence to support it. I’m posting this, so that if you are open minded, you will get a perception of what other people in the world think of Americans.

One more thing, when I try to present this to the “average Joe” back home, I am often meant with some type of egotistical stance like: Well, sure they can think that way about us, but who is the first country they call upon, when they need help?

As this list shows, for the most part, the rest of the world would simply like us to mind our own business. That is, they aren’t keeping score of how often we’ve “saved them” whether it was natural disasters or Nazis. Think of it like this, you have a rich uncle that whenever you run into problems (i.e. car breaks down, rent due) he helps you out. Do you thank him, sure…but afterwards, you don’t give him a second thought. In addition, anything we do to help out another country usually makes them suspicious, as in, what did American gain out of this?

Anyway…here is the article:

It is a very easy thing to hate the United States of America right now. But why? We stormed the beaches at Normandy, saved Europe from economic ruin with the Marshall plan (thanks for paying off the loan, Norway. Anybody else? Anybody? Bueller?), invented the Internet, uprooted tyrants, and give foreign aid away like it was candy. We want to be the good guys and thought we were. Yet we just can’t seem to get any love these days. How’d we get here? Well… [JFrater: as the representative of Listverse, I would like to say that we don't hate America - in fact, I had one of my greatest holidays there. !]

Center of the Universe

The first reason: we act like the world revolves around us. America presumes much for a country generously dated at 300 years old. China has latrines ten times older than that. A quick example: many countries play baseball, but only we have the “World Series”. We’re getting better about our egocentrism, but it’s been a loooong time coming. And don’t get me started about our tourists. Just smile and take the money- they’re loud, but they’ll be gone in a week.

We Win Everything

Okay, I’ll concede Vietnam, tennis (but we don’t care) and Kenyan marathon runners. But we win damn near everything else, eventually. The Space Race. The Cold War. Tour de France. The list goes on and on. Even we hate the Olympics now that our professionals are allowed to participate straight up with the underaged/doping communist nations. It’s boring for us, but as a Red Sox/Bolton Wanderers fan, I know the angst that chronic losing against bigger and better funded opponents generates. And if we don’t have the best athletes/scientists/entertainers, we’ll make sure they get a chance to immigrate while others wait in line. That’s gotta sting. Oh, Yao Ming and Ichiro say “Hi”.

We Eat Everything

Why? Because we can. Americans are the second fattest industrialized nation per capita (sorry, Australia). But as always, we make up for it in volume. We can afford automobiles so we don’t ride bikes or walk anywhere except for fun, and thanks to abundant agricultural surpluses, ANYTHING we want to eat is readily available from takeaway restaurants and convenience stores. Some of our refrigerators could hide an entire human body. And we like the fatty stuff, because fat tastes good. This is NOT a good thing, and our global franchises (KFC, McDonald’s) are already infecting nations that traditionally had healthier diets (are you listening, Japan?)

We Made and Have Nukes

The United States is the inventor and only wartime practitioner of nuclear weapons (never mind that using them prevented an invasion that would make the Iraqi insurgency look like a bj. “Operation Downfall”, the now-declassified US plan to invade Japan, estimated 1 Million American casualties alone). Lax security protocols (and clever spying) spread the secret to the USSR and after that the genie got out of the bottle. Many countries now have atomic weapons, and with no clear Cold War counterpart to US supremacy, the balance has shifted, and the peace dividend has not been kind post 9/11.

Natural Resources

Though accounting for only 5 percent of the world’s population, Americans consume 26 percent of the world’s energy. (American Almanac), and we are the world’s largest single emitter of carbon dioxide, accounting for 23 percent of energy-related carbon emissions worldwide. (U.S. Department of Energy). This, while worldwide, some 2 billion people are currently without electricity. (U.S. Department of Energy). The good news is that among industrialized and developing countries, Canada consumes per capita the most energy in the world, and the United Sates is only second. Italy consumes the least among industrialized countries (that’s because they still drive Fiats, which “conserve” energy by breaking every other day).

International Meddling

The United States has the most advanced army in the world. We station our military in other countries at their “request”, which is a source of much seething and hurt national pride. From Banana Republics, to the Cold War, to the War on Terror, we routinely interfere in the business of other countries to make the world safe for our interests, whether anybody asked for it or not. Even if the intentions are both right and good, many countries resent our involvement in their affairs on sheer principle: they’d rather f*** it up themselves. Are you listening, North Korea?

We Export Trash Culture

A thriving market economy and near total freedom of expression liberate Americans to pursue almost every endeavor imaginable, resulting in some of the greatest discoveries and inventions in the history of man, from the first practical light bulb to powered flight, polio vaccines, radio and TV, space exploration, the Internet, and unfortunately, everything in between. So that means ubercrap like Jerry Springer and Britney Spears gets exported worldwide. No, I’m being too kind there– “force fed” worldwide. Other cultures despise this with a mix of dread, envy, and loathing. They can’t figure out how to cull the good from the bad out of this torrent (neither can we, btw)—but once it takes hold, it won’t let go. This what the Islamic world fears most. Tanks, they understand. An educated, employed woman horny and clubbing on Friday night they simply can’t fathom. And it scares the crap out of them.

It’s Fashionable

Despite the hyperbole bandied online, strong political opinions won’t get your door kicked in at 3 AM like in the Gulag Archipelago. There are no Stalinist purges or killing fields here. And the FBI/CIA/ATF/DEA/PTA will not shoot you on sight simply because you speak against The Surge or march against the Economic Stimulus Plan. But it’s certainly fun to claim a fear of it! You become an instant radical and feel intellectually enlightened to boot– patriotism is an uncritical, reflexive act, right?– only a deep thinker would hate his country (yet stay on to enjoy its privileges). And don’t worry about proof, because all that matters is the accusation. Volume and conviction win the day, so toss that bibliography—grab half the story and make the rest up. If you get caught in a logic box, claim satire. Other countries see this lack of consequences and pile on.

We Don’t Finish the Job

From Vietnam to Bill Clinton and Monica Lewinski to “Mission Accomplished” in Iraq to finding Osama Bin Laden, we seem to do most of the work, but keep a lot of things hanging on, never quite finished. Eventually the answer makes itself known, but it usually takes time, and involves help from others after a lot of (necessary) heated discussions. Maybe we should try this as as a first course of action more often…

We Act Unilaterally

We are a nation of doers, and our errors (when they occur) will be from acts of commission, not omission (Hypocrisy Alert: Darfur). Sometimes that’s a great thing, like sending Kruschev’s missiles back home, breaking Gaddafi’s/Qaddafi’s/Kaddafi’s nuclear ambitions (his nukes are now safely tucked away in Oak Ridge, Tennessee), or winning the Cold War. Other times, it blows up in our (and often, YOUR) face. Our attempts to spread democracy worldwide, intended to let others enjoy the same freedoms and advantages that we have, sometimes result in innocent people dying. We must stop to remember the Somalia embassy, Madrid and Fiji and Lockerbie 101 bombings, along with the millions of nameless others who suffered and died in countries that are not free. The US is the biggest face opposing these things that actually does anything (not just talk, FRANCE. You railed about Guantanamo but when it came time to release prisoners you took ONE.), but our allies often bear the brunt of our “foreign” wars, because the enemy cannot reach us. That has changed recently, and while it has altered our perspective, it has not altered our resolve

http://listverse.com...o-hate-america/

Tiff :)

That about sums it up, no matter how much the US tries to help time passes and they forget real quick

• Upvote 1

Good post Tiff..I've traveled extensively and lived abroad as well, so I can relate to what you're saying. America has both the good and the bad...maybe we will get it totally right someday, we're still a young country. I think the majority of our problems, and the reason that many countries hold Americans in a bad light, is the simple fact that our government is comprised of self-serving, corrupt idiots that are continually making the same bad decisions over and over, and over again. If we can change/fix that, I think everything else would fall into line. I also agree that we should stay out of everone's business, and focus on our problems here at home. this is still a great country, we just need a change of direction in our leadership....Thx for the post

That's all well and fine in a sane world, But when the wolves are at the door and 4,000 of our own people are killed, like in 9/11, we do have a tendency to get envolved in other countries affairs. If we do nothing and stand on the side lines, eventually they will one day nuke one or two of our cities. Radical Islam wants us dead, all of us,including our allies. If you leave countries like Iran and radical groups like Hezbolah unchecked, they will be back at our door again and again killing our people. That's why we get involved in other countries affairs. So we can live free and live in peace. FREEDOM IS NOT FREE!!! Wake up people.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

You know it is a good article but what I find amusing alot of timeswhen I read articles such as this one; is that it is never mentioned that America almost totally (to some degree) is comprised of people from all over the world. The melting pot of the world if you will.LOL Started that way and still is. So essentially they are knocking themselves. Just another perspective IMO. :D

• Upvote 4

Tiff I agree with what you have posted, I to have lived overseas and seen what others have thought of the American people (the Ugly American) they have reasons to beleive that saying. I have always tried to obey the customs of the land I have lived in and it is amazing the amount of help you will get just by trying. Most all of the places I have been I have earned the respect of the people and have tried to help them when I can by asking first, the responses have been from no thank you to yes I need help. What I found is being tolerant of others and respecting them a lot more is accomplished and freinds are made.

• Upvote 1

Ahhhh freedom. It scares the heck out of people. And yet it tantilizes them. They don't beliieve all they hear because their media is corrupt. But yet they do believe. An oxymoron yes but true nonetheless.The corruption revolts them and it should. America in my younger days as a child was soooo different. Sadly enough it always shows more in the female species more than male. Because the male species is what is corrupted and then through the lusts and drive of males females follow suit. But it shows up more in the female species. What do I mean? A two piece bikini when I was a child would have been a shame and a reproach and a woman would have been locked up with a quickness, Smoking cigarettes was unheard of, wearing britches was evil, cutting hair was a great sin for a woman. Women were pure and idolized and protected and saintly but men changed. The men wanted this change and transformation and became enthralled with it. Just a young boy but pornography was unheard of and very illegal. Homo___uality would have gotten you killed. L__bianism was not even known. I am not naiive and do believe it happened but when it did it was with great fear and trepidition. No America has changed and the world does not respect us. That is the problem.. Our presidents lie and speak of freedom but deliver bondage. The world looks at America and has no trust or respect for America because we are the very outward expression of giving our flesh everything it desires within the bounds of not killing others. America was a place of freedom but also great moral fortitude in my youth. I fear we have handled our freedom with way too much indulgence. Perhaps we are now paying for that. I love freedom. I will fight for freedom but I also like morals and restraints. So many have left the Christian roots and have traveled down paths of indulgence. The world looks on and shudders. We know what the world thinks but what does God think. I am going to post this and know it could be twisted but there are others older than I that could say the same if they would. They could add to this list with much more. I was a child. I have watched a nation change and it is sad.

If it were not for us (USA) all of Europe, with the exception of Switzerland, you would all be speaking german. Also, if it were not for us this world not exist as we know it today, because we lead this world and we are always the ones to get our hands dirty. If it were not for us, the EU could not defend itself against other world powers. i.e. China, Russia, etc. So bring on the hate, its all out of jealously.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3