Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Those of You Born 1930-1979

delta22

:lol: yup lived it...and done all that....but we had video games...it was called coin-op games...and the best was Atari...lol :lol: and the cell phone was a payphone and a paper clip (toll free call) well if you knew how...hehe had better things to do with my quarter than to us it on a phone call you can use for free...lol ^_^
  • Upvote 1

Delta, Great post. Lived through every bit of that and more. Brings back all those memories. Played outside till dark every day. If you were in the house you were sick. Mama, didn't have to call out but one time for you to come home and it wasn't on a cell phone. Your ears were tuned in to that voice. When you got home supper was on the table. You ate what was there and you didn't have a choice. You took your bath and went to bed. I don't know if we were smarter (street wise) than kids are today. We could take care of ourselves. If some pervert tried to talk to us, or call us over to a vehicle there was no way. We could sense danger. We handled our own problems, it had to be real bad to call in Mama or Daddy if we had problems with other kids. We were taught to work. Mow the yard, clean our rooms. The only time we watched TV was cartoons on Saturday morning when Mama and Daddy were sleeping late, before breakfast. Breakfast was a meal back then , not a poptart in the toaster. You were going to church on Sunday there was no discussion. We said the Pledge every morning at school along with a Prayer over the PA system. We respected our parents, elders and our teachers. I thinks kids today have too many choices. When they are young they are asked to choose what they want to eat what they want to wear, do they want to do this or would they rather do that. When we are real young and growing up I think choices should be made for us. When we get older we have plenty of decisions we have to make in life. I think young children growing up should be shown the right way, they are too young to choose what is best and safe for them. When you start to school, thats really when you start making your own choices, and decisions. We lived through all those old times and we are still alive. We sure knew how to hold on in the back of a a pick-up truck.

• Upvote 2

Uncle Mike, Been there done that pretty much like you. By the age of 10, we could go to the woods with our own 22 to squirrel hunt and camped out for the weekend. Parents always knew where you were at somehow. Not too many kids brought up like that anymore. I go back a little farther to the only games were the pinball machines. Miss it.

• Upvote 1

I recall being expelled from middle school for three days because my shirt tails were not tucked in...in violation of the school dress code. I got a beating from my teacher, then another beating from the principal & truancy counselor. Finally a beating from my dad when I got home. I never violated the school dress code again. I believe I'm a better person because of the incident.

Today, a student kills a teacher because he was upset with the grade he earned & excuses are made for the student, society is blamed, no accountability, we must be PC & so on. No favors done by letting the student off scot free. They just crippled the student for life by doing so. When will we wise up...PC is killing the country by planned orderly design.

• Upvote 1

The quote of the

month is by Jay Leno:

"With hurricanes, tornados, fires out of control,

mud slides, flooding, severe thunderstorms

tearing up the country from one end to another,

and with the threat of swine flu

and terrorist attacks.

Are we sure this is a good time

to take God out of the Pledge of Allegiance?'

Great post delta22,...wisdom from Jay Leno...IMO...!

RON B)

• Upvote 2

LOVE this thread! Thanks for posting.

....and OH SO TRUE.... I well remember those days... pinball machines and all! and yep...remember those beatings too... was forced to pick out my very own switch....

We need more of that today... accountability is gone. Look at our government and our schools....

Thanks for a trip down memory lane.

Great post! Awe the good ole days. I recall my parents and grandparents talk about those years gone by, and how good it was. I am beginning to grasp what they meant, it wasn't the luxury's they were talking about, it was the friendships they had, the simple entertainment, working hard, believing in God and the comfort of 'home'. Pretty much sums up how and why the world is run the way it is. The generations of American's that actually know what it's like to work for what they have is dying. Also dying with these generations are the abilities to survive, common sense, consequences for wrong doing......someone was telling me about their daughter who lost cell phone service, and she didn't know how to function without it, my first thought was OMG.......this is the generation that will be running our world, God help us all! biggrin.gif

Well Done Delta,

Even though I was born and raised on the "other side of the pond"

we still had the same type of up bringing.

Today, children miss out on all of that fun. Simply because they are " so indocrinated"

First they must have this, and then that. Parents are always trying to give them whatever they want.

Even if it does mean working two or three jobs.

But then that is why we need the good Gov. While we work, they watch the kids...LOL.. NOT....

Best Regards

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG - www.avg.com Version: 9.0.901 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/3689 - Release Date: 06/08/11 13:34:00

IMPORTANT: The sender intends that this electronic message is for the exclusive use of the person to whom it is addressed. This message may contain information that is confidential. If the reader of this message is not an intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication, or the use of its contents, is prohibited. If you have received this message in error, then please immediately notify the sender of your inadvertent receipt and delete this message from all data storage systems. Thank you.

____________________________________________________________Groupon� Official Site

1 ridiculously huge coupon a day. Get 50-90% off your city's best!

Groupon.com

Those of You Born

1930 - 1979

At the end of this Email is a quote of the month by Jay Leno.. If you don't read anything else, Please Read what he Said.

Very well stated, Mr. Leno.

TO ALL THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED THE

1930's, 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's!

First, we survived being born to mothers

Who smoked and/or drank while they were

Pregnant.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing,

Tuna from a can and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, we were put to sleep on our tummies in baby cribs covered with bright colored lead-base paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles,

Locks on doors or cabinets and when we rode

Our bikes, we had baseball caps not helmets on our heads.

As infants & children,

We would ride in cars with no car seats,

No booster seats, no seat belts, no air bags, bald tires and sometimes no brakes.

Riding in the back of a pick-up truck on a warm day

Was always a special treat.

We drank water

From the garden hose and not from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends,

From one bottle and no one actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread, real butter and bacon.

We drank Kool-Aid made with real white sugar.

And, we weren't overweight.

WHY?

Because we were

Always outside playing...that's why!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day,

As long as we were back when the

Streetlights came on.

No one was able

To reach us all day. And, we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps

And then ride them down the hill, only to find out

We forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes

a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's and X-boxes.

There were no video games, no 150 channels on cable,

No video movies or DVD's, no surround-sound or CD's,

No cell phones, No personal computers, no Internet and no chat rooms. WE HAD FRIENDS

And we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth

And there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt,

And the worms did not live in us

Forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays,

Made up games with sticks and tennis balls and,

Although we were told it would happen,

We did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and

Knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just

Walked in and talked to them.

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team.

Those who didn't had to learn to deal

With disappointment.

Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law

Was unheard of.

They actually sided with the law!

These generations have produced some of the best

Risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever.

The past 50 years

Have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility,

and we learned how to deal with it all.

If YOU are one of them?

CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others

who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the

lawyers and the government regulated so much of our lives

for our own good.

While you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know

how brave and lucky their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house

with scissors, doesn't it ?

The quote of the

month is by Jay Leno:

"With hurricanes, tornados, fires out of control,

mud slides, flooding, severe thunderstorms

tearing up the country from one end to another,

and with the threat of swine flu

and terrorist attacks.

Are we sure this is a good time

to take God out of the Pledge of Allegiance?'

i generally make it a habit to run with scissors, keeps me alert :lol:

+1 for you

• Upvote 1

yes those were the good old days. me and my friends hopping on our motorcycles and going to the creek and wading it with our fishing poles all day long. or taking the trails to there house. or just riding the gravel roads for hours with no helmet on. or going swimming in a pond, getting up early and going squirrel hunting. just tell our parents we were leaving and going out and do whatever. and kids now days complain about having to keep their room clean like it is a punishment. living on a small farm chores meant getting up every day and feeding the animals, including school days, and doing the same thing when we got home in the evening. bailing hay, helping my dad cut firewood and stack brush to heat the house in the winter. one year we had to pick a cornfield by hand and load the corn in the back of the pickup truck. we didn't need any gyms or fitness centers to work out in. our parents weren't worried about the consequences of punishing us if we needed it. you respected them and new the outcome if you did wrong. i miss those days and too bad they are just a memory.

and what about when your school supplied all your school supplies for free? now you get a list and have to buy it for your kids. calculators? if we took one to school they took it away from us...

Edited by nointel

I fondly remember going to a neighbor's house and asking if ___ could come out and "play". What a wonderful and long forgotten goal for the day...just to play. I am now thinking of a neighbor down the street that I might just ask if she wants to come out and play...looks like a beautiful afternoon to spend out on the boat.

I fondly remember going to a neighbor's house and asking if ___ could come out and "play". What a wonderful and long forgotten goal for the day...just to play. I am now thinking of a neighbor down the street that I might just ask if she wants to come out and play...looks like a beautiful afternoon to spend out on the boat.

i remember too. go ask her to to come out and play, go for it :lol: nothing to lose

:lol: yup lived it...and done all that....but we had video games...it was called coin-op games...and the best was Atari...lol :lol: and the cell phone was a payphone and a paper clip (toll free call) well if you knew how...hehe had better things to do with my quarter than to us it on a phone call you can use for free...lol ^_^

hahahahhahah So you knew the paper clip trick I love it. Yeah anybody that knew anything back in those days always carried a paper clip. hahahha

make a call, pick a lock, clean your ears. yep it was all good