Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Requiring shops to deal in Iraqi dinars

yota691

31 minutes ago, KristiD said:

Just to clarify why I, and others, see this as potentially the beginning of the RV.   It seems like some others don't see what we see so I want to explain why I'm so excited about this.

Iraq must have a stable currency before it starts to change the rate.  If it can't maintain a stable rate now while it's almost worthless, how could it have any hope of maintaining a stable rate when the rate is allowed to rise?  Iraq has been working hard to stabilize their currency (which, for the last couple of years, has been varying a lot between the CBI rate and the black market rate), and with this move (making people and businesses only use dinar), they're taking a big step to do that.

While we all hoped Iraq would start with a bump (starting at $0.10 as Adam thinks or hopefully a lot higher), there has always been the possibility that Iraq could start with a float at the current rate, and then let it gradually go up from there.  Now It looks like Iraq has chosen the later.  I see the advantage in doing that since it surely is less risky, even though of course I'd prefer a big bump and then the float.  But at least, after 12 years, it's some movement an I'm excited and thrilled to see this. 

So the Iraqi youtuber I follow posted the following today.  It's from the Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs (I believe he is Fuad Hussein), who supposedly gave a press conference yesterday, and the youtuber posted a screenshot of the translation, which I copied below.  He did not provide a link and does not read replies or accept messages, so I can't ask him for a link.  But I'm hoping some good Iraq newshound here (like yota?) could find the article so we can verify it's true.  I tried to find it myself for almost an hour, but couldn't.  Anyway, The Deputy Prime Minster said the CBI has loosened its control of the IQD rate and now will only step in to stabilize it if the rate varies more than 5%, whereas before, the CBI strictly kept the rate fixed.  If this article is true, then I say the CBI has already quietly moved to a "restricted" float - and I think that's the beginning of our long awaited RV.  Although we all wanted a bump in the rate, I actually think this is a wise move, as we certainly don't want wild swings in the rate with the possibility that the whole thing falls apart and Iraq fails in its effort to successful RV the dinar.  I do think this article is likely true because I trust the youtuber.  But I still need to verify the source to confirm that, because if the source is unreliable, I won't believe it.  And If we can verify that this article is true, then I think it means our train is taking off, albeit slowly, but at least it's finally starting to move.  

I have no idea how long it will take for the rate to significantly rise to a point where we'll want to exchange our dinar; we'll just have to watch this unfold and see.  But first, we need confirm if the below statement is true and that the CBI is already letting the dinar vary/float with the market a little.  And then, we need to watch this unfold and see if the CBI is able maintain control and manage the process of letting the rate slowly rise to the true market rate.  Also I do not expect the CBI to allow the rate to rise much in the beginning.  I think that will happen later after the CBI feels confident it has control over the process.  

So these are my current thoughts about all this.  And any comments or discussion of my reasoning will be appreciated!

CBI floats dinar.png

Excellent break down! I saw that this morning as well. Like you mentioned I believe we all want to wake up and see a massive change in value but conventional wisdom might make a gradual float alot easier for Iraq to manage. Honestly the fact they banned the USD in the country had me the most excited yesterday. That will make the IQDs value increase no matter what if it's the only thing being used. Now the question is, how long will this increase take to get where we start lining up at the banks.  GO RV/RI 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 10
  • Pow! 2

1 hour ago, chris2028 said:

how long will this increase take to get where we start lining up at the banks.  GO RV/RI 

IMO unless the iqd is internationally recognized and bankable we could all line up around the block at ur local bank eating hot dogs and still not able to xchange , not being rude or a kill joy or a smart azz chris2028 just need the iqd bankable outside iraqs borders is all,  cheers and all the best .

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 4

47 minutes ago, 3n1 said:

IMO unless the iqd is internationally recognized and bankable we could all line up around the block at ur local bank eating hot dogs and still not able to xchange , not being rude or a kill joy or a smart azz chris2028 just need the iqd bankable outside iraqs borders is all,  cheers and all the best .

For sure @3n1 no offense taken! Appreciate your comment and youre absolutely correct it needs to be international! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 3n1 said:

I don't recall EVER reading a rude, a killjoy or a smarty-pants post from you. Your posts are always well thought out and respectful...besides, the aforementioned is my department. Being a horse's azz is what I does. :tiphat:All the Best to you...and may these donkeys get the IQD Globally recognizable quickable like. 20 years, EEESH...Cmon Man

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, horsesoldier said:

and may these donkeys get the IQD Globally recognizable quickable like. 20 years, EEESH...Cmon Man

you are funny HS and have a great sense of humor sometimes i just gotta put a disclaimer on it , the typed word doesn't come across right at times and can be taken the wrong way , were all hoping for the same outcome ... cheers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 5

10 hours ago, 3n1 said:

I think Iraq wants to be international. They want to be a Mid-East hub of all things. They are laying the foundation for the world to come in, invest, and build, and be attractive to companies and investors around the world. That has to include making the Dinar international. 

It's only a matter of time, and as slow as they seem to be, it looks like they are closer than ever. On the precipice. At the doorstep. Crossing the threshold. Closer than farther. Almost there. 

We can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Could happen any day now.

Don't blink!!!!

:)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 8
  • Pow! 4

46 minutes ago, keylime said:

I think Iraq wants to be international. They want to be a Mid-East hub of all things. They are laying the foundation for the world to come in, invest, and build, and be attractive to companies and investors around the world. That has to include making the Dinar international. 

It's only a matter of time, and as slow as they seem to be, it looks like they are closer than ever. On the precipice. At the doorstep. Crossing the threshold. Closer than farther. Almost there. 

We can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Could happen any day now.

Don't blink!!!!

:)

agree with it all keylime , its easy to be negative iraq has made forward progress i can still remember a time when the iraqi provinces and cities had daily street bombings and the black flag of isis tacked on every structure , iraq needed everything , its been monumental ... we wait 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

16 hours ago, KristiD said:

The Deputy Prime Minster said the CBI has loosened its control of the IQD rate and now will only step in to stabilize it if the rate varies more than 5%

I don't know about the 5%, (haven't done the math) but KristiD is correct on stabilize rate, which is the Official exchange rate that the CBI sets, I believe the CBI takes 7 dinars per hundred usd and the black market, exceeds that which is the problem, which is preying on the locals. I see post here that folks are focusing on "when they gonna change the Exchange Rate", 1305 local and 1310 international transfer. The spread needs to be inline with the CBI, that the focus, which is stability. Then when the CBI feels that under control, they can add Purchasing Power, even at 1305 local 1310 international which is Official rate set by the CBI...anyhow that my IMO, will be keeping an eye on articles about the Minister of Foreign Affairs Fuad Hussein, he been dealing with Arab League and Syria coming back to join that group with Assad, this last week..

• Thanks 5
  • Upvote 6

So I was thinking about this some more and it occurred to me that just because they're at a "restricted" float now (assuming that's true, though I still haven't been able to verify that the Deputy Prime Minister said that they are per my post at the top of this page 2), that doesn't mean they won't bump it up in the future.  It does seem safest for Iraq to first determine if they are able to control the transition from a pegged/fixed rate to a market rate.  If they did bump it now to to say just $.10, that's more than a 100X increase - which is a huge change.  They're much more likely to be successful in figuring out how to manage the rate when begins to float, if they don't rock the boat any more than necessary.  A bump of over 100 times is like a tsunami.  So now in hindsight, it maybe wasn't realistic for us to expect them to bump the rate first, before they're confident that they'll be able to control it.  So starting the float from where they are right now makes sense and is the best choice, imo. That said, I do think Iraq wants to bump the rate, and significantly.  The Iraqi youtuber I follow thinks it will be over US$1 and ultimately back to over US$3.  He says Iraq wants their currency higher than the USD, and I can appreciate why they'd want that.  I don't know if they'll bump it to US$1+ first thing, it may take them a few bumps to get there (or maybe not), but in thinking about this more, I think that's the best way for them to do it.  And Iraq is bringing in investment, and that's hard to do with a currency that's almost worthless.  So I think think they're pretty motivated to move this along.  The monkey wrench in this is that since the protests 2 years ago, they have been able to stable the fixed rate to the black market rate.  I've been in this 12 years, and I don't remember seeing such big differences between those two rates in the first 10 years I've owned dinar.  They lost control of the +/-1160 figure they had for years.  And now they're still struggling to control it at 1310(which is why they banned the USD).  So now I'm thinking (and hoping) that with this USD de-dollarization, soon they'll get control of the rate again with this "restricted" 5% float.  And once they feel they are in control of managing that, they'll start letting it change more than 5% and/or maybe gradually let the rate increase from there.  And if they can maintain control with those changes, then hopefully they'll give it a nice bump, maybe even US$1+, or at least something significant that we'll want to exchange at least some of our dinar.  

Anyway, that's my thinking today.   jmho

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 4

Warning from the Interior Ministry to Iraqis: Legal measures will affect dollar dealers

8-1675328352.jpg

Baghdad Today - Baghdad

The Iraqi Ministry of Interior warned on Saturday against dealing in the US dollar currency in the local market, instead of the national Iraqi currency, stressing that buying and selling in foreign currency will expose its owner to legal accountability.

The spokesman for the ministry, Major General Khaled Al-Mahna, told "Baghdad Today", that "there is a government trend to keep all foreign currencies away from dealing in the local market," noting that "this principle is working on the countries of the world, especially since there is no justification for dealing in dollars in the local market by shop owners, who needs the dollar currency is only the main importers, but the purchase process in the local market does not need to deal in dollars or any other foreign currency."

Al-Mahna pointed out that "there is a campaign carried out by the Iraqi Ministry of Interior, aimed at raising awareness and education about the need to adhere to the national currency, as the national currency is the highest stability among other currencies, as proven by the past days, and dealing in foreign currencies in the local market, may have a negative impact on the fixed in the markets, and thus speculative operations and extortion operations occur to citizens."

The spokesman for the Iraqi Ministry of Interior concluded by saying that "there are campaigns that the Ministry of Interior will work on targeting people who deal in foreign currencies, and whoever violates will be held legally accountable in accordance with the Central Bank of Iraq Law."

KNN - KNN

The Iraqi Interior Ministry on Saturday warned against dealing in dollars instead of Iraqi currency, saying those who buy and sell in foreign currencies will face legal

prosecution In the domestic market, this principle is also applied by countries around the world, especially since there is no justification for traders to deal in dollars in the domestic market Not in dollars or any other foreign currency."

There is a campaign being conducted by the Iraqi Ministry of Interior aimed at raising awareness

"There is a campaign being conducted by the Iraqi Interior Ministry to raise awareness and guidance on the need to adhere to the national currency, as the national currency is the most stable among other currencies, as proven in the past Domestically, it will have a negative impact on the markets and at the same time harm the citizens. 

Anyone who deals in foreign currency will be considered a violator

The Interior Ministry spokesman said the operations will continue, and anyone who deals in foreign currency will be considered a violation and will be held accountable according to the central bank law.

For several days, security forces and members of the Organized Crime Directorate in the cities continue their campaigns to encourage citizens to deal in dinars instead of dollars, in addition to monitoring the market to prevent monopoly of traders, some of whom want to raise prices . . . .

• Upvote 1
  • Pow! 1

post-image

A "sovereign" decision to remove the dollar from the Iraqi economy leads to "consequences" from Washington ... and fears of a "revival" of the black market

12:20  2023-05-17  400  Specific to "The Introvert" 0

Only a few days have passed since the Iraqi dinar achieved a kind of stability against the US dollar, after a period of negative quarrels that prompted the Iraqi currency to lose a large part of its value, until a new decision appeared from the Iraqi authorities related to the current "war" between the dollar and the dinar to control Iraqi economy and markets.

The "shocking and surprising" decision, according to the description of the American MSN, was issued on the fourteenth of this month and included the Iraqi government's announcement, in an unprecedented manner, to "completely ban the circulation of the dollar" in the Iraqi local markets, including a threat issued by the Ministry of Interior to "account and punish all those who Contributes to the deterioration of the Iraqi dinar by using the dollar for local commercial and financial transactions.

The government of Muhammad Shia al-Sudani's move against the dollar in an "unprecedented" manner put Iraq in a new curve of its kind in one of its most important and dangerous files, the economic file, according to the American newspaper The Cradle, where foreign newspapers dealt with the positive implications of the decision, in addition to the negatives . It is expected to hit the Iraqi market and cause "damage" to local dealings.

And with the government continuing its struggle against the dollar, with one of its parliamentarians recognizing to the American newspaper that the Iraqi economy has fallen into a "slavery position" to the US dollar and its use by Washington to "control" Iraq politically, the first American reactions appeared to the fore, represented by a statement issued by the White House, during which it was taken A "fateful" decision related to the position and role of the United States in Iraq.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3
  • Pow! 1

second and third  2023/05/25

Kirkuk: Nahdat Ali 

The Directorate of National Security in Kirkuk obligated owners of malls, centers and shops to limit their dealings in Iraqi dinars only, through a campaign it recently launched in the governorate's markets.

The move comes after a similar campaign launched by the National Security Agency in Baghdad, in implementation of the directives of Prime Minister Muhammad Shia'a al-Sudani, to support the Iraqi dinar and prevent monopoly and manipulation of commodity prices.

The directorate’s media and relations official, Ali Al-Mufti, said in an interview with “Al-Sabah”: The campaign included taking written pledges from the aforementioned segment that dealings would be in Iraqi dinars only instead of dollars, with the change of price indication boards in commercial centers, malls and stores, to the price in dinars according to the exchange rate. official, with the need to open approved accounts to deal with the electronic platform. In the same context, he indicated that the campaign includes all commercial joints, centers, malls, and shops selling household items and commodities.

• Upvote 1

A security campaign in Kirkuk markets to restrict dealings in Iraqi dinars

Baghdad - Nas  

The Directorate of National Security in Kirkuk obligated owners of malls, centers and shops to limit their dealings in Iraqi dinars only, through a campaign it recently launched in the governorate's markets.  

The move comes after a similar campaign launched by the National Security Agency in Baghdad, in implementation of the directives of Prime Minister Muhammad Shia'a al-Sudani, to support the Iraqi dinar and prevent monopoly and manipulation of commodity prices.  

The directorate’s media and relations officer, Ali Al-Mufti, said in an interview with the official newspaper, followed by “Nass” (May 25, 2023), that the campaign included taking written pledges from the aforementioned segment that dealings would be in Iraqi dinars only instead of dollars, with the exchange of price indexes in centers. Commercial, malls and stores, to the price in dinars according to the official exchange rate, with the need to open approved accounts to deal with the electronic platform.  

In the same context, he indicated that the campaign includes all commercial joints, centers, malls, and shops selling household items and commodities.  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Pow! 1

%D9%88%D8%A7%D8%A6%D9%84-%D9%85%D9%86%D8

special |..

Legal expert Wael Munther said today, Wednesday, that the campaign launched by the Ministry of Interior regarding dealing in Iraqi dinars aims to contain the issue of the parallel market price of the dollar in Iraq, which differs greatly from the official price.

And Munther explained to “ Newspaper ” that after the issuance of the Cabinet’s decision, in which it decided to oblige merchants to deal in the national currency, by adapting the act as being within the legally criminalized acts within the Anti-Money Laundering Law No. 39 of 2015, in accordance with the provisions of Article 44 of it, which included a text A penalty of imprisonment for a period of up to five years and a fine of between one million and twenty-five million dinars, or one of these two penalties, for each person or financial institution that violates the provisions of the law other than Articles 37, 38, 41, 42, and 43.

• Upvote 2
  • Pow! 2

Iraq Bans US Dollar Transactions to Boost Dinar

The move is part of the growing ‘de-dollarisation’ trend in Iraq and also aims to control a fluctuating black market exchange rate.
Iraq Bans US Dollar Transactions to Boost Dinar

Image Courtesy: Pixabay

The Iraqi government has banned using the US dollar for personal and business transactions to control a fluctuating black market exchange rate and boost the use of the dinar.

Dollar transactions went underground on Monday and exchange offices, fearing arrest by undercover agents, were selling the currency only to trusted clients at the black market rate, The National reported.

The move is part of the growing ‘de-dollarisation’ trend and an overall decline in Washington’s economic influence.

In a statement, the interior ministry said: “The dinar is the national currency in Iraq. Your commitment to transact in it instead of foreign currencies boosts the country’s sovereignty and economy.”

The ministry’s Crime Directorate forces are in markets across Baghdad and other cities asking traders to sign a pledge to transact only in dinar, Brig General Hussein Al Tamimi told The National.

The ministry added that transaction in other currencies “is a violation punishable by law” and threatened to “hold accountable anyone who attempts to undermine the Iraqi dinar and the economy”.

“If the violator repeats it, he will face an imprisonment penalty of up to one year plus a one-million Iraqi dinar financial fine. In case of a third violation, that penalty will be doubled and we will have the business licence turned,” Al Tamimi added.

“The widespread campaign aims at protecting the dinar,” said Al Tamimi, who heads the Directorate’s operations department.

Dollars are already in shortage in the official markets due to recently imposed US measures to control the currency’s movement inside Iraq. The US policy has triggered a debate inside Iraq about the benefits of de-dollarisation despite the Mohamed Shia al-Sudani moving swiftly to contain the financial fallout.

Iraqi MP and member of the Finance Committee in Iraq’s Council of Representatives, Hussein Mouanes, told The Cradle in an exclusive interview earlier this month that “Iraq has been and continues to be a slave to the US dollar … every country’s economic strength depends on the strength of its currency”.

“It is clear that Iraq is economically dominated by the US, and our government does not truly control or have access to its own money … We believe that it is crucial to move away from the hegemony of the dollar, especially as it has become a tool to impose sanctions on countries. It is time for Iraq to rely on its local currency,” he added.

The dinar plummeted after the 1991 Gulf War, the harsh UN economic sanctions and the 2003 US-led invasion. Consequently, Iraqis started using the dollar in a wide range of dealings—from wholesale trading to retail purchases.

Iraqi has been trying to stop a currency crisis for the last six months leading to an increase in the prices of goods and sparked street protests.

Since November, the dinar has become more volatile after the US’s tightening of procedures for international transfers with some blaming Washington for the dinar’s problems.

On the other hand, America has complained that the dollar is being funnelled to Iran, Syria and Lebanon through the foreign currency auction run by the Central Bank of Iraq.

The Federal Reserve Bank of New York has applied strict measures on requests for international transactions from Iraq, rejecting many and delaying others, leading to an increased demand for the dollar in Iraq.

https://www.newsclick.in/iraq-bans-us-dollar-transactions-boost-dinar

Have been reading about this, wondering how it relates to things. 🤯

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
http://almadapaper.net/news/4104fa5e0-292359.jpg

Organized Crime (Al-Mada): Deterrent decisions will be issued against violators of the campaign to suppor t the dinar

06/17/2023 10:28:44 P

Baghdad / Al-Mada

Today, Saturday, the Organized Crime Directorate confirmed that it is continuing its campaign to support the Iraqi dinar in markets and shops, in addition to residential complexes and car showrooms.

Hussein al-Tamimi, director of operations to combat organized crime, told (Al-Mada) that "the campaign is continuing with a campaign to support the Iraqi dinar to increase dealing with it in shops and commercial markets, in addition to residential complexes and car showrooms."

He added, "The campaign resulted in collecting more than 10,000 written pledges only from the Directorate for Combating Organized Crime, provided that transactions are not made in dollars by the owners of companies, current shop owners, and others."

He pointed out that "deterrent decisions will be issued against violators of the instructions issued by the Council of Ministers and the Central Bank of Iraq, including owners of companies, shops and others."

• Upvote 1

BRICS: Iraq Bans U.S. Dollar, Egypt Ditches USD, France & Pakistan Pay With Chinese Yuan

Vinod Dsouza
June 17, 2023
us dollar bill faces

Iraq’s Interior Ministry placed a ban on U.S. dollar transactions across the country in a move to strengthen the Iraqi Dinar. The country wants to control the fluctuating black market exchange rate that plagued forex prices for Chinese Yuan and USD. The move will also help boost its native currency as the U.S. dollar will take a step back nationwide. The decision to ban the dollar comes at a time when Iraq expressed its interest to join the BRICS alliance. Iraq would accept the soon-to-be-released BRICS currency to settle international trade and sideline the USD.

Master Yota/Adam, I hope all is well.  Please take a look at this latest article, would love to know your thoughts as Iraq suddenly expressed interests in joining the BRICS Alliance.  I nearly dropped my cellphone, as I'm shocked they're looking into this! 😮

Regards,

Freedomwish

• Thanks 1