Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Hey all Texans. There goes the neighborhood.

new york kevin

There goes the neighborhood if I move in. With my wife and Mother In Law coming with me, that may mitigate things for ya. Seriously, we have been looking to move from California for quite a while, definitely  when this thing RV's . No we will not be bringing any of California's liberal crud with us, at all, period. All stinking California thinking will be washed off with our last shower in this state . If you have ever been to S.C. and recall the beauty of that state, and here is the question,  Is there anywhere in the Dallas/FW area, North toward Oklahoma and East towards Lousianna,  that is close to such beauty with hills and all , that's not in a flood zone . Thanks for the positive responses .

• Upvote 4
  • Pow! 2

Texas is wonderful and I sure miss it sometimes. Dallas/Fort Worth has already been taken over by the liberal PRK types......Steer clear of there from what I have read on other forums.

Check out the Woodlands, Conroe, Magnolia and areas North of Houston on and off I45. But to stay away from a Flood Zones can get a little trick the further South you go.

While I was down there they had a huge tropical Storm that put flooded clear up to South Houston.

Karsten

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, new york kevin said:

I would go to Idaho because it's so beautiful in that state . It's just that I want to eventually retire in place where its a little warmer. Though my wife had mentioned Idaho 2 wks ago.

We like it because of the four seasons. Coming from CA the summer heat is bearable. Not crowded less crime or smog.

1 hour ago, new york kevin said:

There goes the neighborhood if I move in. With my wife and Mother In Law coming with me, that may mitigate things for ya. Seriously, we have been looking to move from California for quite a while, definitely  when this thing RV's . No we will not be bringing any of California's liberal crud with us, at all, period. All stinking California thinking will be washed off with our last shower in this state . If you have ever been to S.C. and recall the beauty of that state, and here is the question,  Is there anywhere in the Dallas/FW area, North toward Oklahoma and East towards Lousianna,  that is close to such beauty with hills and all , that's not in a flood zone . Thanks for the positive responses .

The area around Paris, TX is covered with beautiful rolling pastures and is quite beautiful. You will be exposed to all 4 seasons. Also, you might consider the NE Texas area around Hawkins, Marshall, Longview/Tyler. Lots of rolling hills and beautiful scenery. Then, there's always the piney woods in deep East Texas - wildlife is abundant and the land is covered with beautiful pines. Before you make a firm decision, you need to take a road tour and stay off the interstate system, take the state highways and back roads. Just stay away from the metro areas (all of them) they are full of liberals. There are some really nice areas in West Texas too if you like the open skies and canyons. The great thing about Texas is there is something for everyone, whether you want open country, wooded pastures, rolling hills or water ways and beaches. We have it all right here. You just have to look for it.

:cowboy2:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Pow! 1

5 minutes ago, Pitcher said:

If you want to look at a great area, the area that Karsten described is where I live.  I know the top RE person in the area who specializes in relocations.  

I've never been to that part of Texas, but I have a good "internet friend" from Spring, Texas.  He loves the area he is in.  The only part I've been in is Dallas/Fort Worth, and over to Stephenville. My daughter almost went to Tarleton State University. I plan to go back and visit more of Texas as soon as this RV happens, and I have the money to go.   My son was an over the road trucker for many years, and Texas was one of his favorite places.

• Thanks 4

I’ve lived in the Woodlands for 35 years.   It’s been a lovely place to reside and raise a family.  It’s gotten a little too populated for me and I’m looking at retiring south and east of Huntsville. (about 75 north of Houston).  Rolling hills, piney woods, lots of elbow room, 2 large lakes nearby and plenty of quiet, just what an old fart needs.  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 4

@new york kevin, bring the beans, bullets and beer and you will be welcomed! :cowboy:

@TexasGrannyis right, there is a little bit of everything here in this Great State! The Tyler area is beautiful country. I am a little partial to the East and se part of the state like @Pitchersaid. I lived in Huntsville for 6 years going to school (Go Bearkats!) and working. I may move back to that area as well when I retire. However, the Hill Country that @Markinsa mentioned is beautiful too. The Fredericksburg/Marble Falls area is nice. It just depends what type of recreation you want to do. There are more lakes for fishing in the eastern part of the state. South Texas is known for the big deer and hunting available. The panhandle is known for their...well, I guess their tumbleweeds..:lmao:

Again, TexasGranny said it right. Take a road trip and get out in the country side. No matter what part of the state, you will find something that y’all will like!

• Thanks 3
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, 8th ID said:

@new york kevin, bring the beans, bullets and beer and you will be welcomed! :cowboy:

@TexasGrannyis right, there is a little bit of everything here in this Great State! The Tyler area is beautiful country. I am a little partial to the East and se part of the state like @Pitchersaid. I lived in Huntsville for 6 years going to school (Go Bearkats!) and working. I may move back to that area as well when I retire. However, the Hill Country that @Markinsa mentioned is beautiful too. The Fredericksburg/Marble Falls area is nice. It just depends what type of recreation you want to do. There are more lakes for fishing in the eastern part of the state. South Texas is known for the big deer and hunting available. The panhandle is known for their...well, I guess their tumbleweeds..:lmao:

Again, TexasGranny said it right. Take a road trip and get out in the country side. No matter what part of the state, you will find something that y’all will like!

Thank you everyone . Oh man I knew y'all (see I'm practicing . To soon ?) would be the perfect people , family , to come to with this question . Thank you for all the help.  I will bring the beans , bullets and beer . I will drink the beans, and take beer shots.  Yuk, yuk , yuk. Woo woo woo, woo .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, TexasGranny said:

The area around Paris, TX is covered with beautiful rolling pastures and is quite beautiful. You will be exposed to all 4 seasons. Also, you might consider the NE Texas area around Hawkins, Marshall, Longview/Tyler. Lots of rolling hills and beautiful scenery. Then, there's always the piney woods in deep East Texas - wildlife is abundant and the land is covered with beautiful pines. Before you make a firm decision, you need to take a road tour and stay off the interstate system, take the state highways and back roads. Just stay away from the metro areas (all of them) they are full of liberals. There are some really nice areas in West Texas too if you like the open skies and canyons. The great thing about Texas is there is something for everyone, whether you want open country, wooded pastures, rolling hills or water ways and beaches. We have it all right here. You just have to look for it.

:cowboy2:

There's a great movie  called " Paris, Texas" directed by Wim Wenders and starring Nastassja Kinski and Henry Dean Stanton-RIP

• Thanks 1

Yes, Texas Granny knows her Texas well. Around Paris all the way over the the Louisiana line is pretty country, and the rolling hills in the hill country is awesome too. I live between Marshall and Longview and wouldn't know how to live anywhere else. Gets pretty hot in the summer, but but it grows on you.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Theseus said:

Don't forget to stop at The Big Texan restaurant and partake in a 72 oz steak challenge. You have an hour to eat a baked potato, salad, shrimp cocktail and of course the 72 oz steak. I hope a large bottle of A1 comes with that! It's only 72 dollars (upfront).

WOW !! I have heard of that . I would have attempted that challenge a few years back. Sounds like a blast , and new good memories . I am changing things regarding food , merely because I want to get off of having to take 2 bp meds . I have dropped 10 lbs so far as I try to address the underlying bp/cholesterol issues. I love steak and will go there to cheer you on perhaps ., as I eat my 1-2 lb steak . I beyond appreciate you guys. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Pitcher said:

I’ve lived in the Woodlands for 35 years.   It’s been a lovely place to reside and raise a family.  It’s gotten a little too populated for me and I’m looking at retiring south and east of Huntsville. (about 75 north of Houston).  Rolling hills, piney woods, lots of elbow room, 2 large lakes nearby and plenty of quiet, just what an old fart needs.  

Back when I was down there I thought about buying the Closed Ice House on the road out towards Magnolia until I found out it was closed due to lack of Business and the guy owed back taxes......or something like that.

Karsten

4 hours ago, Moejoe said:

Yes, Texas Granny knows her Texas well. Around Paris all the way over the the Louisiana line is pretty country, and the rolling hills in the hill country is awesome too. I live between Marshall and Longview and wouldn't know how to live anywhere else. Gets pretty hot in the summer, but but it grows on you.

Cant wait to leave CA. Lifelong resident and it was paradise growing up here in SoCal.  Not anymore . The left has ruined this once Golden State. Wife has family in Marshall so that's where we have been looking.  Will be walking away with quite a bit of equity when i sell my home here. Gonna keep the rentals. Not moving for another year but gonna buy soon.

• Upvote 2

On 1/27/2021 at 12:46 PM, new york kevin said:

Come on over plenty of room for ya'll in Texas! I caution you don't move to Austin it's very liberal, the police have been defunded to, of all things. It's the only city I know of in Texas that did it.  Governor Greg Abbott  put an end to that early on after the Austin City Council voted. Austin is known for the saying  Keep Austin Weird, but now Austin is just going to be known for being dangerous. Georgetown is pretty nice so are many rural cities outside of Dallas.

• Thanks 1

On 1/28/2021 at 3:43 PM, bigwave said:

Carful of what you wish for:

O'Rourke mulling run for Texas governor

image.png.d8f29d5ee75330fb27c4f03d566c29e9.png

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/536287-orourke-mulling-run-for-texas-governor

This guy was an embarrassment to Texas. Texas is still very much Republican, he has no chance, he only made it as far as he did because someone threw a whole bunch of money into his campaign and targeted universities.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1