Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Lost a loved family member(pet)

nstoolman1

Our 6 year old Lab/Corgie, Abby, messed her back up while jumping off the 3 foot high retaining wall. She was always jumping off that thing. Last Monday I woke up and found she could not walk. At 330 AM We took her in to an Emergency Vet Hospital and after the Vet checked her out they thought it was a pinched nerve and said give her the meds and wait. After a week of carrying her outside to take care of business, and staying up with her all night (My daughter loved the dog so much she volunteered for that duty) we took her in today to see our regular Vet. We were hit with the trerrible news that she was paralized from the hips down. The doc said there was a10% chance of walking again. We had two choices: Build a contraption that would allow her to drag herself around. ( No control of #1 or #2) or put her down. The Vet said she was not in pain and from the hips up was a perfectly healthy dog. We felt it was not a life she would have enjoyed. We as a family made the second hardest decision we had ever made.( We already did this once with our fist dog we had for 11 years.) Both of these angels were rescue dogs and we feel they were sent by God to enter our lives and teach us something. I just did not think God was needing his watch dog back so soon. We still have little Ellie. We cal her El Diablo because she is a little fireball. She already misses Abby. She waits for me to put the second plate down with A's food. I have to tell her it OK to eat. She doesn't understand Big sister won't be eating with her. We miss her so much. It is going to be so hard not seeing her around the house. Sorry for the rambling but I needed to share this to help ease the pain. You all seem to have kind words and I (the family) could use some right now. 

• Upvote 8

Really sorry to hear that. My thoughts are with your family.., as one pet owner to another I consider my pets family so it is hard to loose a member. I lost my best buddy 2yrs ago now. He is a ferret and was diagnosed with a tumor right next to his liver so I also had to make a tough call and had him sent home and not to often I tear up but I did with him, his name was Octane and for a busy little bugger he liked laying cradled in my arms while I watched tv.

Edited by respectron
  • Upvote 1

NSTOOLMAN1 I saw your post about Abby last week and I didn't respond because I was so saddened by what you told us... sob... sob.

I know how your heart just aches... my animals had been with me from babies until their old age and I have lost 3 in the last 2 years.

It really hurts... yet we never forget all the joy they brought us.

I don't have anymore words so here is a poem a friend sent to me that helped a little bit... I hope it will help you a little bit too my friend.

RB_Poem_Gate.jpg Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together.... 

Author unknown...

To create a Memorial for your Baby at Rainbow Bridge click here

• Upvote 3

Our 6 year old Lab/Corgie, Abby, messed her back up while jumping off the 3 foot high retaining wall. She was always jumping off that thing. Last Monday I woke up and found she could not walk. At 330 AM We took her in to an Emergency Vet Hospital and after the Vet checked her out they thought it was a pinched nerve and said give her the meds and wait. After a week of carrying her outside to take care of business, and staying up with her all night (My daughter loved the dog so much she volunteered for that duty) we took her in today to see our regular Vet. We were hit with the trerrible news that she was paralized from the hips down. The doc said there was a10% chance of walking again. We had two choices: Build a contraption that would allow her to drag herself around. ( No control of #1 or #2) or put her down. The Vet said she was not in pain and from the hips up was a perfectly healthy dog. We felt it was not a life she would have enjoyed. We as a family made the second hardest decision we had ever made.( We already did this once with our fist dog we had for 11 years.) Both of these angels were rescue dogs and we feel they were sent by God to enter our lives and teach us something. I just did not think God was needing his watch dog back so soon. We still have little Ellie. We cal her El Diablo because she is a little fireball. She already misses Abby. She waits for me to put the second plate down with A's food. I have to tell her it OK to eat. She doesn't understand Big sister won't be eating with her. We miss her so much. It is going to be so hard not seeing her around the house. Sorry for the rambling but I needed to share this to help ease the pain. You all seem to have kind words and I (the family) could use some right now.

I'm so very sorry --we've been through that, leaves a vacancy in the heart and lots of tears--

blessings and peace for each of you. Luci and Family

I am so very sorry for your loss. My little doggy in the picture, is my last of 3 still alive. I thought I almost lost him about a month or so ago but he pulled thru. He will be 17 in Jan and he has been thru a lot with me, divorce, ups, downs, cross country moves... I know I don't have much longer with him. When I almost lost him the last time I kept saying I didn't want to have make the decision, that to me is the hardest part. It makes the pain so much worse. I have had to do that before and I just knew it was time. Take comfort in the fact that you knew he would not want to live that way. I think when you are close to an animal you know. I miss all my dogs everyday! That's why I have not gotten more, it hurts so much to loose them.

• Upvote 1

Your Canine Guardian Angel

I know that you must miss me,

By the tears rolling down your face.

But believe me when I tell you that,

I'm in a very good place.

There are meadows here to run in,

And plenty of rabbits to chase.

There are other dogs to play with,

To frolick with and race.

So please don't worry about me,

My spirit feels light as can be.

There's no more pain to plague me,

I'm young again and free.

And I'll be watching over you still,

of that you can be sure.

I'm your canine guardian angel,

And my love for you remains pure

Sorry for your lost you and your family will be in thoughts and prayers.

• Upvote 3

Thanks to all for the kind words, the poems and stories. Abby will always have a place in our hearts. Right next to Lacey our first dog we had.

Momma is already thinking of another. She thinks Ellie( Abby's little sister) needs a friend but we are going to wait a bit and let the pain ease a bit. We are running into things that she used and fighting the tears when we see them. Sorry there must be a leak in the roof. My keyboard and desk are getting all wet.

• Upvote 2

nstoolman1

I am so sorry for your loss - huge empathy and sympathy for you and your family including your little Ellie girl. I love my animals - in fact I like them better than most people that I know. So I get it, Maggie's Rainbow Bridge is one of my favorites and such a comfort.

To have loved and then said farewell, is better than to have never loved at all.
For all of the times that you have stooped and touched my head, fed me my favorite treat and returned the love that I so unconditionally gave to you.
For the care that you gave to me so unselfishly.
For all of these things I am grateful and thankful.

I ask that you not grieve for the loss, but rejoice in the fact that we lived, loved and touched each others lives. My life was fuller because you were there, not as a master/owner, but as my FRIEND.

Today I am as I was in my youth. The grass is always green, butterflies flit among the flowers and the Sun shines gently down upon all of God's creatures.
I can run, jump, play and do all of the things that I did in my youth. There is no sickness, no aching joints and no regrets and no aging.

We await the arrival of our lifelong companions and know that togetherness is forever.
You live in our hearts as we do in yours. Companions such as you are so rare and unique.
Don't hold the love that you have within yourself. Give it to another like me and then I will live forever. For love never really dies, and you are loved and missed as surely as I am.

So sorry for your loss.  My little yorkie jumped off the couch and ruptured 3 discs in her neck.  Did everything for her for 3 months before letting her go.  She was 12 years old and only 5 pounds.  My heart and soul, I really feel your pain.  
I am grateful we live in the digital age.  I have so many pictures of her to keep around me, screensavers, phone screen, and so on. Time does heal, I hope time moves gently by for you.

Toolman,

I am sorry to hear about your loss.  God created dogs to be our companion and bring us joy.  Cherish the good memory you have.  I know it hurts to lose them.. I have gone through a couple myself and I keep getting another one because of their love and joy they bring to my life.  I pray God will give you peace and cover your family with His grace.  

Sorry to hear of your loss Toolman. I'm sure Abby was so happy having a loving family.

I had to put my 4 legged best friend - Rudi, a corgi/Australian shepard cross - down lasr Saturday morning. I definitely feel your pain and loss.  

Maggie - the Vet we had help us with this had the Rainbow Bridge poem on the wall next to the door of the examination room we went into. I'm not ashamed to say I read it and cried so hard I had to sit in the parking lot for 15 minutes in order to drive home.

mydogz  - when I was growing up, my mom told me that all loved pets became guardian angels when they died. People say that animals have no souls - but in my heart of hearts, I just believe there is more.  I really believe that.  

Toolman - my prayers and share tears are for you and your family. 

• Upvote 3

Sorry to hear of your loss Toolman. I'm sure Abby was so happy having a loving family.

I had to put my 4 legged best friend - Rudi, a corgi/Australian shepard cross - down lasr Saturday morning. I definitely feel your pain and loss.  

Maggie - the Vet we had help us with this had the Rainbow Bridge poem on the wall next to the door of the examination room we went into. I'm not ashamed to say I read it and cried so hard I had to sit in the parking lot for 15 minutes in order to drive home.

mydogz  - when I was growing up, my mom told me that all loved pets became guardian angels when they died. People say that animals have no souls - but in my heart of hearts, I just believe there is more.  I really believe that.  

Thats so true tank. 

there are  many dog lovers on here that have had to  watch their dogs dream at night. woofing in their sleep at some squirrel or cat their chasing.

If they dream then they must have a soul .  how could it be otherwise. 

Edited by dog53
  • Upvote 2

Sorry for your loss tool man.

I had to put down my Molly 10 years ago. Still hurts.

Black lab.

Remembering good times helps after you put a few years behind you.

My #2 daughter used to sneak up behind Molly when she was napping and scare her.

Walked around the corner of the barn one day to see Molly sneaking up on #2 daughter and nipped her on the diaper.

Molly looked at me and I swear to god, grinned at me.

After having two tumors removed, third one started, so much pain.

I just could not let my best friend suffer any longer.

Sucks but that is life.

TankDude :( So Sorry To Hear About Rudi... It has to still be pretty painful for you too my friend. Many hugs coming your way... :hug:

My sweetie was an Aussie Shepard/ Border Collie... she was incredible... my heart still goes to my throat even after 2 years.

A neighbor came by the garden the morning I was digging the hole to bury her... and I fell into his arms crying my eyes out.

He was not expecting that as he walked up the path smiling... oh well... he was very kind about it and helped me finish putting her to rest.

I don't know how I would have done it without him... well I would have... but he sure did help. Sorry to ramble on so much through my tears.

Toolman what a coincidence... my roof leaks everytime I come on this thread... Hope all the love and sympathetic thoughts help my dear.

Yes you guys Of Course animals have souls... I have no doubt about that... just something we Know.   :angel:

• Upvote 1