Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Time to Get Off..

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2017/06/14/trump-tells-tangier-island-mayor-not-worry-sea-level-rise/394688001/

SALISBURY, Md. — President Trump phoned Tangier Island Mayor James "Ooker" Eskridge Monday after viewing a CNN report about the Virginia island's struggle with rising sea levels.

"He said not to worry about sea-level rise," Eskridge said. "He said, 'Your island has been there for hundreds of years, and I believe your island will be there for hundreds more.'"

During the CNN interview, Eskridge had said he loved Trump as much as he would a family member. When staffers brought the CNN report to Trump's attention, "he said, 'I've just got to talk to that guy,'" the mayor said.

In Monday's call, Eskridge told the president that Tangier Island is "a huge supporter of Donald Trump. ... This is a Trump island; we really love you down here."

The island in the Chesapeake Bay is a Republican stronghold — about 87% of residents voted for Trump in the November 2016 election.

Still, erosion is one of the islanders' main concerns. The island, population about 450, is losing up to 16 feet of coastline a year, scientists say.

New visualizations show worst-case scenario for sea levels by 2100

Islanders have been advocating for years for construction of a seawall to protect their home; a smaller project — a jetty to protect the harbor's west entrance — is in the works.

"We're taking it a step at a time," Eskridge said Monday.

Eskridge mentioned to Trump that the island had received "negative feedback" from the CNN story, which reported "residents here are extremely scared that if something isn't done soon, their homes and livelihoods will be washed away by the Chesapeake Bay. "

He said the president told him not to worry about it.

Tangier residents, many of whom work on the water, crabbing and oystering or on tugboats, are direct descendants of some of the earliest English settlers in Virginia and the old names, like Crockett, Pruitt and Eskridge, still are prevalent, as is the Tangier dialect some say dates to 17th-century England.

A panoramic view of Tangier Island as viewed from a ferryboat.

Most of the island is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

The president made the call during a day when his schedule also included a National Security Council briefing and leading a Cabinet meeting in the morning, and welcoming to the White House the 2016 NCAA Football National Champion Clemson Tigers in the afternoon.

That impressed the mayor, as did the White House efforts to get him on the phone.

Eskridge said he first received a call from Tangier Oyster Co. The Virginia business had been contacted by the president's office, looking for the mayor's home telephone number.

"So I came in from crabbing and they said I got a call — I said, 'That's not real.' Anyway, I hung around. I left for a short time to go to my crab house, and then came back and I got this call and the lady says, 'I'm with the president's office. The president would like to know if he could speak to you. I said, 'Yes, he sure can,'" Eskridge said.

Trump introduced himself and told Eskridge, "You've got one heck of an island there."

Eskridge said he told the president, "The stuff you are doing is just common-sense stuff. I believe you're for the working man — and you want people to get back to work — you're for the military, and Israel and religious liberties — it's all the stuff that we value. I believe you came along for such a time as this."

Eskridge said Trump told him he appreciated his comments and that Tangier looks like a beautiful place. He also invited Eskridge to visit him when he travels to Washington, D.C.

"He said, 'Me and my family, we love you and your family and we love the citizens of Tangier Island.' So, Donald Trump knows about Tangier Island — that's going to be the peak of my career," Eskridge said.

"The whole time I'm talking to him, it's just in the back of my mind — I can't believe Donald Trump's on the phone with me. I mean, to call a crabber out here. I'm sure he had a busy schedule here on a Monday. I thanked him for that — I said, 'I appreciate you taking time to call me,'" Eskridge said.

According to the mayor, Trump returned the compliment, saying, "You're my kind of guy. When I saw the story, I said, 'I've just got to talk to the mayor of Tangier

Don't worry I have super plan that is huge and will save the world!!!

B/A

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

16 minutes ago, bostonangler said:

Don't worry I have super plan that is huge and will save the world!!!

B/A

The reassurance one gets from this is overwhelming. It really does say it all. It is hard to comprehend why so many people don't understand. :shrug::lol:

• Upvote 1

Whoever makes the jump to "Man-made Climate Change" is feeble minded and has been blinded by the Religion of the Elitist and Progressive Left. I find it irritating that so many have bought into this Religious Ideology and the resulting control and power they are willing to cecede to Central Governments and Politicians. This article is a perfect example of Climate Change Disciples and followers taking a hit at anyone who is a Denier of this Religion, especially those in power. 

Indy 

• Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, Indraman said:

Whoever makes the jump to "Man-made Climate Change" is feeble minded and has been blinded by the Religion of the Elitist and Progressive Left. I find it irritating that so many have bought into this Religious Ideology and the resulting control and power they are willing to cecede to Central Governments and Politicians. This article is a perfect example of Climate Change Disciples and followers taking a hit at anyone who is a Denier of this Religion, especially those in power. 

Indy 

Man or no man the climate makes huge swings and we are in the middle of change right... Blame man, blame God, blame Mother Nature or blame Nibiru... Whatever. it's happening and those who deny it are only fooling themselves.. The earth is in constant change. It has been and will continue to do so.

B/A

Edited by bostonangler
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

59 minutes ago, Indraman said:

Indy 

Being referred to as feeble minded irritates me.  :lol:

GO RV, then BV

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, bostonangler said:

Man or no man the climate makes huge swings and we are in the middle of change right... Blame man, blame God, blame Mother Nature or blame Nibiru... Whatever. it's happening and those who deny it are only fooling themselves.. The earth is in constant change. It has been and will continue to do so.

B/A

Now this is a statement I can support... +1. As long as changes are acknowledged without the claims that they are mainly caused by Man. 

Indy 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Indraman said:

Now this is a statement I can support system" rel="">support... +1. As long as changes are acknowledged without the claims that they are mainly caused by Man. 

Indy 

Exactly.

The truth is that a few individuals decided to capitalize on a natural phenomenon, and tried to use it for their own personal gain.

They continued to perpetrate their  deception by willfully manipulating reports to reflect their agenda, and maliciously attempting to cause financial harm to entire communities.

Selling "carbon credits" was nothing more than an organized scam, just another venue in which the globalists, and their hacks, could unfairly extract even more wealth from the working man and woman.

The only reason they were stopped is because their lies were so outrageous, and their conspiracies were exposed.

Even after getting caught cheating, they only modified their claims, but still have not fully admitted their crimes against humanity.  

• Upvote 6

3 hours ago, bostonangler said:

Still, erosion is one of the islanders' main concerns. The island, population about 450, is losing up to 16 feet of coastline a year, scientists say.

You ever lived on the coast?

Do you know what erosion is?

http://web.vims.edu/physical/research/shoreline/docs/Cascade/ShorelineMgt/Tangier_2004_report-lr.pdf

Erosion is caused by wind, tides and poor land protection management.  Never mind the island is only four feet above sea level to begin with!!!  What kind of dumbass builds a home on flood plane?  Or an island ONLY 4' about sea level?

The problem with this island is they hadn't built a protective barrier to keep the sand on the beaches and instead it's been floating out with the tides ...

It's not because the island is sinking from rising sea water levels.

BUT Climate-change Dummies want to make it all about their globalists master's plans and policies of robbing you until you've got no money left and are forced to be their slaves for life and the life of your offspring!!!

Edited by BJinMontreal
  • Upvote 5

You love putting words in other people's mouths don't ya Shabs?  I never said that!!

I was pointing out the lunacy of blaming natural erosion on climate change while also pointing out that considering the land is ONLY four feet above sea level at its highest point - whom, with a sane mind would build on it expecting it would never be flooded, much less slowly eroded away.

There's a reason you're discouraged from building on flood planes and sea level - it's engineering 101 - or it used to be. - who knows what the idiot demoncrats have rammed through the school curriculum since I graduated besides teaching 6 year olds about sex.

• Upvote 8

41 minutes ago, Shabibilicious said:

In other words, do what New Orleans did.....build an idiot levee system to complete the inevitable crescent city cereal bowl disaster.  :o

GO RV, then BV

But as long as W gets the blame, it's all good

• Upvote 3

Earth is constantly changing, climate is cyclical from what I have learned.

Some enjoy trying to make any changes we see or experience in this world,

some manner of life ending event and many are trying to profit from these

changes by selling books to those who they convince to live in fear, including

attempting to tax us all. "Terrorism", "Global warming", "Niburu", "Asteroid

destruction coming", "Sun shine to burn us all to death", "Armageddon"

the list never ends in ways to keep people afraid and paranoid as if life

does not contain enough to play with our minds.

It never changes, fear is profitable, religion and politics make use of it daily.

To me, for anyone to believe men are to blame just does not cut it. We are but

ants, and although I agree changes are happening and we could all be better

stewards of this big rock, blaming humans to me is like blaming ants for climate

change or "global warming".

Just my opinion :)

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, BJinMontreal said:

You love putting words in other people's mouths don't ya Shabs?  I never said that!!

I was pointing out the lunacy of blaming natural erosion on climate change while also pointing out that considering the land is ONLY four feet above sea level at its highest point - whom, with a sane mind would build on it expecting it would never be flooded, much less slowly eroded away.

There's a reason you're discouraged from building on flood planes and sea level - it's engineering 101 - or it used to be. - who knows what the idiot demoncrats have rammed through the school curriculum since I graduated besides teaching 6 year olds about sex.

Yeah that is like some idiot building a cabin up in the Canadian Rockies then crying when a fire burns it down... Who would be stupid enough to build in a forest fire zone?

B/A

21 hours ago, RV ME said:

But as long as W gets the blame, it's all good

No....the French fur trappers that built N.O. on a peet bog inches above an angry ever changing Mississippi river delta are to blame....and the corps of engineers made it worse by dredging the river, which upped the fast moving hydro volume...while adding a revetment/levee system to complete the safety charade, i. e. "cereal bowl"... all for the sake of capitalist commerce.  Dubya did what he could in the face of a natural disaster at a terrible location founded by men.  Just this old topographic surveyor's opinion.

GO RV, then BV

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Shabibilicious said:

No....the French fur trappers that built N.O. on a peet bog inches above an angry ever changing Mississippi river delta are to blame....and the corps of engineers made it worse by dredging the river, which upped the fast moving hydro volume...while adding a revetment/levee system to complete the safety charade, i. e. "cereal bowl"... all for the sake of capitalist commerce.  Dubya did what he could in the face of a natural disaster at a terrible location founded by men.  Just this old topographic surveyor's opinion.

GO RV, then BV

+1

Indy 

On 6/14/2017 at 5:44 AM, Indraman said:

Indy 

The rel8gion in question is called humanism .

46 minutes ago, ladyGrace'sDaddy said:

Democratic Party

Ha Ha Ha....

Corporate Welfare??? Republican Party.

Although I do applaud President Trump for his speech today about announcing the apprentice program. I was surprised when he stated his is giving back power to the unions so people can earn while they learn.

B/A

And because I know I will be blasted for saying he is empowering unions, here is the quote...

“We have regulations on top of regulations,” Trump said Thursday. “We’re empowering companies, unions, industry groups and federal agencies to go out and create new opportunities for millions of citizens.”

http://time.com/money/4820268/trump-apprenticeship-plan/

B/A