Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

AMC to the MOON!

keylime

Thought this interesting!

Options Bulls Revisiting Meme Stock Ahead of Earnings

AMC will report first-quarter earnings report on Friday

Deputy Editor
May 1, 2023 at 12:31 PM
facebooktwitterlinkedin

AMC Entertainment Holdings Inc (NYSE:AMC), will step into the earnings confessional for its first-quarter results Friday, May 5, before the market opens. In similar fashion to meme-stock favorite Bed Bath & Beyond (BBBY), options traders have targeted the movie theater operator with renewed vigor like its 2020 all over again.

Put traders are enamored with AMC, per a list of stocks that have attracted the highest weekly options volume over the last two weeks, compiled by Schaeffer's Senior Quantitative Analyst Rocky White. During the last two weeks, 2,597,346 puts changed hands, versus 1,634,766 calls, with the July 4 put standing out as the most popular. 

MAO Chart May 1 2023

The stock has a dismal post-earnings history in the last two years, with just three of AMC's post-report sessions finishing in positive territory. The shares average a next-day return of 8% in the last eight reports, regardless of direction, a number that's slightly smaller than the 9.3% move the options market is pricing in this time around for Friday's trading.  

AMC Entertainment stock was last seen down 1.4% at $5.43, with continued resistance from its 150-day moving average. AMC is up 33.8% in 2023, and, like most meme names, is heavily shorted--over 26% of the stock's total available float is sold short.

AMC Chart May 12023

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, txwWrestling said:

Does anyone know when or what might cause APE and AMC to merge?

We have to wait on the courts to render a decision on it. When that day is I have no idea. But by June we will at least know something.

Meanwhile AMC continues to break records for ticket sales. So Friday will be a good first quarter report.

• Upvote 4
  • Pow! 1

On 5/3/2023 at 12:46 PM, keylime said:

Friday will be a good first quarter report

How was the report? I must have missed it. Truth is NOTHING in the investment world is very positive. And probably won't be until we get the intentional,America destroying, corruptt Globalists out of our Gov and into jail where they belong! Sadly, I doubt that will ever happen. We may be too far gone!💔

On 5/11/2023 at 7:55 AM, md11fr8dawg said:

How was the report? I must have missed it. Truth is NOTHING in the investment world is very positive. And probably won't be until we get the intentional,America destroying, corruptt Globalists out of our Gov and into jail where they belong! Sadly, I doubt that will ever happen. We may be too far gone!💔

The report was excellent. But the criminals are not going quietly into that good night!

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

we know the crooks are running! oh yes!  our own gov is in dismay! cant get any better jesus! they will be REMOVED SOON! PRAISE FATHER GOD!  BYE BYE BIDEN!  PUPPET!  THE SIXTEEN YEAR PLAN WILL BE DESTROYED!!!!!!!! IN JESUS NAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OH YES!  GOTTA LOVE YA FATHER GOD!  GET EM JESUS!

• Upvote 2
  • Pow! 1

13 hours ago, md11fr8dawg said:

We only have tomorrow left from the this wek prediction.

Yes. But if you watch the video he indicates the slowing down of the algorithm which means his timing is not set in stone but the cycle is sure. So it will play out in time as it has been 

• Upvote 1

On 5/27/2023 at 7:33 PM, keylime said:

Ants Trades does another great break down of the cycle. We fly next week? Wednesday to Friday?

I don't know about everyone else but this video prompted me to by a bunch more shares. Thanks @keylime for bringing this. 

For everyone else let me say this, 

History doesn't really repeat itself but it will look in the mirror from time to time. 

• Haha 1
  • Pow! 1

5 hours ago, txwWrestling said:

Quick question is anyone still buying AMC or APE currently? I try to buy some when I get paid a few shares here and there or is everyone just on the wait?

I nibble here and there because the price is too low to ignore. 

• Pow! 3

https://www.thestreet.com/memestocks/amc/amc-stock-telltale-signs-of-a-potential-short-squeeze

AMC Stock: Telltale Signs of a Potential Short Squeeze

With a court hearing on the APE class-action lawsuit coming up, June promises to be a volatile month for AMC Entertainment.
  • So far this year, AMC stock has outperformed the S&P 500 with a 14.5% increase.
  • AMC's short sellers have racked up market-to-market losses of approximately $159 million thanks largely to sky-high borrow fees.
  • AMC's upcoming court hearing, combined with other developments, may create enough volatility to cause a short squeeze.
  • Why a Short Squeeze May Occur in AMC

So far this year, shares of AMC Entertainment  (AMC) - Get Free Report have taken investors for a wild ride. The movie theater chain's stock shot up as much as 93% in late February and is currently up 14.5% – outperforming the S&P 500 by about 5%.

Estimates suggest that some $662 million worth of short interest in AMC is currently at stake. Since the beginning of 2023, short sellers have seen about $159 million in market-to-market losses.

• With this strategy, traders short AMC while assuming a long position in APE. They're betting that the spread between the two equities will be eliminated once the APEs are converted to common stock.

It should be a practically guaranteed win. But the conversion has been delayed by a class-action lawsuit — resulting in mounting losses for the short sellers.

AMC's borrowed shares

Arbitrage Traders Are Shorting AMC

The main reason for the intense short activity in AMC this year is the fact that some traders are using an arbitrage strategy targeting both the stock and the AMC Preferred Equity (APE) units.

• And if AMC shares head further upward, the short sellers will likely lose even more money to a short squeeze.

Buckle Up for A Volatile Ride In June

In April, AMC shares rallied after the class-action lawsuit put the brakes on the APE conversion. In theory, this was bullish for the company's common stock.

But in May, AMC experienced a "correction," with shares falling about 20%.

Currently, AMC is in limbo — which could present an opportunity.

According to renowned short-seller investor Jim Chanos – who holds short positions in AMC – when meme stocks rally, the time to enter these trades has already passed.

Based on this logic, a brief decline in AMC stock could present a new opportunity to enter the trade.

The court hearing scheduled for the end of the month regarding a settlement on the class-action suit that has prevented the conversion of APEs, may lead to increased volatility in AMC in June.

In this previous article, you can follow the timeline of the trajectory of the transformation of APEs into common shares.

• Until the end of June, speculation and developments related to the court decision may cause enough volatility to put extra pressure on shorting activity – which could result in short squeezes.

• Thanks 1
  • Pow! 1