Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

hello again my friends.  its your bud here with another :twocents:  worth of a take on what i see happening within the borders called iraq.  and it is really good news from my vantage point!  the topic of this opinion piece is the '6 major factors that influence an exchange rate'.  i will cover each factor briefly in reference to iraq and hope to derive whether or not those invested are either in a good or bad position. 

as many know, the importance of an exchange rate revolves around one country's trading relationships with other nations.  trade relationships is the sole purpose of an exchange rate.  where there is no international trade, an exchange rate tied to a currency has no domestic significance.  with this in mind lets peer into the 6 factors of exchange rate influence between iraq and its trading partners.

1) Inflation - iraq has done a fantastic job steering its inflation rate.  the latest report (aug 2015) has inflation at 2.2%.  some economists would mark this as the ideal inflation rate.  this places iraq is a great position with trading partners for determining a strong exchange rate to the iqd.

2) Interest Rates - iraq has maintained a steady interest rate of 6% over the last 5 years.  compared to other nations, it is a phenomenal rate.  the importance here is the attractiveness it has to foreign investors.  should iraq sure up the security situation with daesh and clean up political corruption, foreign investors might feel confident enough to pour funds into iraq at these rates.

3) Current-Account - iraq has done quite well between trading partners and has held a positive current account balance (exports vs imports) over the previous 9 years except for 2010.  oil is its primary export and it has been strong enough a commodity to keep iraq experiencing gains in its current accounts.  as iraq build its non-oil sector through the plan for increased industry and agriculture, exports should increase and it will be reflected in the current account.  

4) Public Debt - this is where the hidden gem is revealed and the reason for the title of my opinion piece.  everything in the papers speak to iraq's "deficit financing".  however for some reason it appears to be seen in a negative light.  my opinion is much different.  not all debt is good but in this instant i definitely believe it is.  when most developing nations look to expand its economic markets as iraq is doing, there will be an inevitable deficit to fiscal policy (the budget).  in the short term, this is a very very good thing!  where most under developed nations utilize deficit financing for payment of domestic and foreign loans, this does not hold true for iraq.  iraq is using this tool as developed nations would, for capital formation for economic growth and boosting the private sector.  this type of debt is the best stimulate for the economy in the short term.  (here is a good slide-show presentation explaining deficit financing.)

5)  Terms of Trade - balance of trade for iraq is simply outstanding and last reported at approximately $40B usd ($44B previous year).  compared to turkey (-$6B usd), japan (-$268B yen), germany $24B eur.  i would say that iraq comparatively has a case for a strong dinar.  its current accounts and balance of trades are unbeatable (maybe a little exaggeration there).

6) Political Stability & Economic Performance - well, you can't shine everywhere :blush: .  unfortunately this important piece is dragging iraq down.....and i mean wayyyyyyyy down.  nobody in their right mind want to stick hundreds of millions in an environment like this.  this area alone is holding iraq back the most.  all things considered, if this one area is corrected there is no reason why foreign investment wont flood the country and the domestic currency surge in demand.  

there you have it gang.  hopefully this piece wasn't too long.  this should give us all a solid overview of the factors that influence the dinars TRUE exchange rate the most.  from it we should be able to make a sound judgement on where the currency is headed and whether or not we want to remain involved. 

be blessed!   :tiphat:

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 1

Thank you Trinity I always look forward to your posts. I've learned a lot about the economic growth potential from the information you bring us thank you again. I still very much believe in this investment and its amazing to watch history being made before our eyes in Iraq.

• Upvote 3

Thank you Trinity I always look forward to your posts. I've learned a lot about the economic growth potential from the information you bring us thank you again. I still very much believe in this investment and its amazing to watch history being made before our eyes in Iraq.

thanks fancy and everyone for your favorable responses.  i still very much believe as well my friend.  i think it is crucial for us holding dinar to tie our belief of its future to information that can be monitored.  knowledge grants so much more power.  we often read people's opinions concerning whether or not the exchange rate of the iqd will appreciate however those opinions are often not founded upon economic principles.  how often do we read anyone expounding on the 6 pillars influencing a currency's exchange rate.  and then when do the ones who opine measure those 6 influencers against the iqd? 

i believe the metrics can be made very simple for us.  we don't have to guess at all.  we can gauge our investment risks against sound fundamental data.  doing so moves us away from apotheosizing individuals as oracles of dinar mysteries, and places us on an equal playing field with anyone else assessing the risks of this investment through fundamental analysis.  and such is my intent to inspire dialogue, share information, and empower the community.  

Edited by TrinityeXchange
  • Upvote 4

Thanks TrinityeXchange, information is key and digesting fact from fiction is the challenge. A level headed approach and attention to details makes for better decision making, which you do very well. Their are to many gurus and pumpers out there that try to deviate us from the reality but thanks to people such as yourself with the assistance of the finest news hounds in the Dinar world, keeping grounded and sane makes for a easier ride. For those of you who have been here and on this ride for many years, deserves my respect, this is a true test of patience. I as well look forward to your posts and value your thoughts and hope for the day that we can take this venture to the next level. Until then, we patiently wait...

• Upvote 3

my wife says that to me alot

minus the et part of it   :cheesehead:

If you'd put something on over your thong, she might change her outlook.

It's OK to have an a$$, just not be one.  You need to have one to hold your legs on.

• Upvote 1

4) Public Debt - this is where the hidden gem is revealed and the reason for the title of my opinion piece.  everything in the papers speak to iraq's "deficit financing".  however for some reason it appears to be seen in a negative light.  my opinion is much different.  not all debt is good but in this instant i definitely believe it is.  when most developing nations look to expand its economic markets as iraq is doing, there will be an inevitable deficit to fiscal policy (the budget).  in the short term, this is a very very good thing!  where most under developed nations utilize deficit financing for payment of domestic and foreign loans, this does not hold true for iraq.  iraq is using this tool as developed nations would, for capital formation for economic growth and boosting the private sector.  this type of debt is the best stimulate for the economy in the short term.  (here is a good slide-show presentation explaining deficit financing.)

Hey TE thanks for another excellent opinion piece.

Your 4th point 'the hidden gem' grabbed my attention - as without stimulus (albeit a debt instrument) there is no development of the private sector which is key to broadening Iraq's dependence away from oil.

Once 4) is flowing to businesses then Points 1) & 2) add impetus to the overall growth and it will snowball. 

• Upvote 2

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By yota691
      The Iraqi dinar exchange Arab and international transactions Friday
      Economy | 09:14 - 26/07/2019
            Baghdad - Mawazeen News 
      The prices of Arab and foreign currencies compared to the Iraqi dinar on Friday, the twenty-sixth of July according to the latest updates as follows: 

Foreign currencies
      1 US $ = 1,192.7000 Iraqi 
      dinars 1 Iraqi dinars = 0.0008 US dollars 

1 euro = 1,329.6559 Iraqi 
      dinars 1 Iraqi dinars = 0.0008 euros 

£ 1 = 1,484.7689 IQD 
      1 IQD = 0.0007 pounds of 

$ 1 CAD = 906.2726 Iraqi Dinar 
      IQD 1 = 0.0011 Canadian dollars to 

$ 1 Australian = 828.5055 Iraqi Dinar 
      IQD 1 = 0.0012 Australian dollars 

1 Japanese yen = 10.9849 Iraqi Dinars 
      IQD 1 = 0.0910 Japanese yen 

Currency Ala Rabieh
      1 Egyptian Pound = 71.8862 Iraqi Dinar 
      1 Dinar Iraqi = 0.0139 Egyptian pounds 

1 SAR = 318.0109 Iraqi Dinar 
      1 Dinar Iraqi = 0.0031 SAR 

1 AED = 324.7050 Iraqi Dinar 
      1 Dinar Iraqi = 0.0031 AED 

1 Sudanese pounds = 26.4493 Iraqi Dinar 
      1 Iraqi Dinar = 0.0378 SDG 

1 Algerian Dinar = 9.9684 Iraqi Dinar 
      1 Dinar Iraqi = 0.1003 Algerian Dinar 

1 Bahraini Dinar = 3,163.9039 Iraqi Dinar 
      1 Dinar Iraqi = 0.0003 BD 

1 JD = 1,682.2261 Iraqi Dinar 
      1 Dinar Iraqi = 0.0006 JD 

1 Dinar KWD = 3,916.2570 Iraqi Dinar 
      1 Iraqi Dinar = 0.0003 KWD 

1 LP = 0.7890 Iraqi Dinars
      1 Iraqi Dinar = 1.2674 Lebanese Lira 

1 JD = 851.2293 Iraqi Dinar 
      1 Iraqi Dinar = 0.0012 Libyan Dinar 

1 Moroccan Dirham = 124.2836 Iraqi 
      Dinar 1 Iraqi Dinar = 0.0080 Moroccan Dirham 

1 Syrian Pounds = 2,3156 Iraqi 
      Dinars 1 Iraqi Dinar = 0.4319 Syrian Pounds 

1 Somali Shilling = 2.0627 Iraqi Dinar 
      1 Dinar Iraqi = 0.4848 Somali Shilling 

1 Omani Rial = 3,097.8818 Iraqi Dinar 
      1 IQD = 0.0003 RO 

QR 1 = 327.5748 Iraqi Dinar 
      1 Dinar Iraqi = 0.0031 QR 

TND 1 = 416.2116 Iraqi Dinar 
      1 Dinar Iraqi Dinar = 0.0024 Tunisian Dinars 

1 Yemeni Riyal = 4.7632 Iraqi 
      Dinars 1 Iraqi Dinar = 0.2099 Yemeni Riyals 

1 Djibouti Franc = 6,6987 Iraqi Dinars
      1 Iraqi Dinar = 0.1493 Djibouti Franc. End n / a
    • By numimaticmat
      Just wanted to give everyone a heads up to this situation. A currency seller with the store names ZimbabweDollars.Net and TheCurrencyStore is outright scamming people. 

I realize many people aren't fans of the Zimbawbwe Dollar to begin with but that aside should someone decide to buy it they should receive something and not be scammed and they should also get legitimate notes. 

I personally was scammed by them about a year back. I made a purchase, they sent me 100 Trillion notes which were clearly printed on a home computer. The site says refunds no questions asked. They refused to refund me and told me to file a chargeback with my credit card company. After calling the police in his city and pestering him endlessly he finally refunded me. I've heard numerous stories on forums and from colleagues who made the same mistake. There's also a Youtube video from someone else who had the same experience. 

I just talked to another online friend today who paid last week and received nothing and has no communication from the seller. It seems this has been going on for a while and neither Shopify or Stripe seem to care this guy is selling fake notes and/or outright scamming people so looks like he'll be able to continue. Just wanted to give you guys a heads up. 
    • By Luigi1
      Luigi says...
      Abadi & Saleh talk about Iraq's return to the int'l stage & regain the IQD to it's former glory.
      Take this as a rumor. Not varified. Your opine.

12-12-2017   Newshound/Intel Guru Mnt Goat   Article quote: “We can say that IRAQ’S SOVEREIGNTY HAS BEEN FULLY REALIZED and that IRAQ HAS A REAL OPPORTUNITY TO ADVANCE AND REGAIN ITS STATUS AFTER IT HAS RETURNED ITS CONFIDENCE TO THE INTERNATIONAL COMMUNITY,”  Okay folks if this...statement ...does not rock you, I don’t know what will. These are almost the exact words used in a past statement made by the PM Abadi and Saleh when they said they wanted Iraq to return to the international stage and regain their former glory of their currency. ...Folks this is WOW! news.

• By yota691
      Parliamentary Finance: Iraq's debt stood at $ 119 billion and its benefits to the people
      one hour ago Last updated 02:41 PM     BAGHDAD / tomorrow Press: 
      detecting an MP for the parliamentary finance committee, Majida al - Tamimi, that Iraq 's debt stood at $ 119 billion, of which external estimates of $ 80 billion, and the rest is internal debt, noting that the loans go into the pockets of corrupt people and bears interest on the loans. 
      She said Tamimi's "Tomorrow 's Press," that "there are negative indicators on monetary policy as well as non - corrupt accountable , " indicating that " the loans they take Iraq went to the corrupt and the people bear their benefits." 
      She pointed out that " the apparent corruption through lack of investment loans properly and mostly fake and thefts to the pockets of the corrupt , " adding that " the figures that previously borrowed and squandered the money they borrow and their partners today and they have a certain pedigree." 
      She added that "there are a lot of files have been forwarded to the integrity, but there is no deduction for those files and if I stayed in the integrity of the year as possible to escape the corrupt out of Iraq and not be held accountable , " indicating that "Iraq is required payments of up to $ 119 billion, including debt Foreign worth 68 billion to 12 billion but increased by the recent German loan for a total of $ 80 billion. " 
      She explained that "Iraq 's debt to the Gulf countries reached $ 40 billion, including $ 4.6 billion of Kuwait was postponed repaid until 2018 because of financial commitments crisis , " indicating that " the debt is treated and that have not been claimed in the present time amounted to 40 billion dollars." 
      She stressed that "these figures were taken by the General Director of the debt after a request made by the knowledge of Iraq 's debt , " adding that "there is an internal debt of the government borrowed from the Central Bank, as well as bonds and debt peasants and others."
    • By Theseus
      interesting article about inflation in Egypt. Iraq needs to take notice before RVing.

This is What Happens to Inflation when a Currency Gets Unpegged from the Dollar
      by Wolf Richter • Feb 13, 2017 • 49 Comments
      The “supply shock” in Egypt
      On November 3, the Egyptian Central Bank removed all exchange-rate restrictions and raised its benchmark rate by three percentage points. This was done to obtain that all-important $12-billion bailout loan the IMF had provisionally agreed to provide in August, though by November 3, the IMF’s executive committee still hadn’t ratified it.
      In the unofficial market, the pound had already collapsed against the dollar. With the peg gone, the official exchange rate instantly plunged from 9 pounds to the dollar to over 15 pounds to the dollar, and four days later it was at 18 pounds.
      On November 11, the IMF stopped dragging its feet and ratified the $12-billion loan.
      At today’s rate of 17 pounds to the dollar, the currency has lost 48% of its value since November 3. This chart, showing the value of each pound in US cents, depicts that plunge in its horrific brutality:

But Egypt imports about $60 billion per year in fuel, raw materials, and finished goods. And for Egyptians who have to pay for them in pounds, there are some bitter consequences.

The latest announcement of those bitter consequences was the inflation rate for January: Overall consumer price inflation soared by 28% year-over-year and core inflation soared by 31%. This chart (via Trading Economics) of core inflation shows that everything from rents to computers was a big driver in a horrendous increase in the cost of living:

This soaring inflation was due to “supply shocks,” Egyptian Finance Minister Amr El-Garhy told Bloomberg TV. It was not demand driven. It was “expected,” he said, given the devaluation. And it’s going to get worse: “We knew that this is still peaking when it comes to inflation, we expect this to happen.”
      Eventually, the impact of that supply shock may fade from the year-over-year statistics, and inflation might settle down, under ideal conditions, but the currency got crushed, and will remain crushed.
      But El-Garhy said the rise in Egyptian stocks was an “encouraging sign, and a strong vote of confidence in the economic reform program.” He also credited the $12-billion bailout loan from the IMF that Egyptians have to service with their devalued currency.
      With inflation changing so rapidly, no one knows what inflation amounts to on a daily basis. Everything denominated in pounds is losing value at a rapid rate that no one knows exactly. Inflation reporting happens after the fact, and may be unreliable. But the value that the pound loses today is what matters in order the gauge stock and bond prices today. And everyone is in the dark. The stock market denominated in Egyptian pounds has gained about 50% since the devaluation. That looks good on paper. And El-Garhy touted that. In reality, it just reflects the destruction of the currency.
      And foreign investors that are chasing yield wherever they can find it jumped on Egyptian debt. Last Thursday, they bought 98.5% of the 6.6 billion pounds ($372 million) in six-month Egyptian Treasury bills that the government issued and 97.5% of 6.6 billion in one-year bills, according to the Finance Ministry, cited by Bloomberg. And these foreign yield chasers are doing what they’re doing everywhere: driving down the yield.
      But these bonds are denominated in Egyptian pounds, and no one knows what inflation will do to the currency over the next 12 months.
      Being long oil is a very “crowded trade,” but who’s on the other side of that trade, and what do they know that speculators don’t? Read…  Why a NYMEX Veteran is Getting Nervous about Oil

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.