Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Iraq parliament bans smoking in public

yota691

Iraq parliament bans smoking in public

Text size

BAGHDAD, Feb 02, 2012 (AFP) - The Iraqi parliament on Thursday approved an anti-smoking law that stipulates a roughly $8.50 fine for smoking in public, in a country where such smoking is a fixture.

"The law aims to protect citizens from the danger of tobacco and reduce the number of smokers by taking measures to combat this plague," the law reads.

Smoking in government offices, schools, universities, hospitals, airports, offices, theatres, gathering places, hotels, restaurants, nightclubs, markets and petrol stations will now be banned.

The law is to take effect 90 days after it is published in the official gazette.

One of its sponsors, health committee member Haidar al-Shamari, said in his remarks the law is based on Article 33 of the constitution, which says that "every individual has the right to live in safe environmental conditions."

But one MP thought the law was not a priority, saying "it would be better to provide improved public services instead of punishing smokers."

According to study carried out in 2000 by the Union for International Cancer Cancer Control, a Geneva-based non-governmental organisation founded in 2000, 40 percent of Iraqi males over age 16 were smokers.

ak/sk/wd/al http://www.zawya.com/story.cfm/sidANA20120202T171054ZGVQ47/Iraq_parliament_bans_smoking_in_public

With the troops gone...It's a good thing $8.50 per American, Brit, Aussie and other soldiers gone would 've paid for the RV...this is hilarious. I never took up the habit and can understand the addiction has life long health ramifications, but get real Iraq, Now everyone will be smoking inside with the kids inhaling the by product. Why do you think the rest of the world ask the smokers to be OUTSIDE...duh!!!!!! They don't have a clue!!!!! Go RV somehow.

Hey it’s not that bad as they will have to get the RV through so that they can pay all the $8.50 fines they are going to get.

Also how about all the smoking cafes that spill out onto the streets. Ha! Ha!

This is a good one, not.

Go RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

This will create turmoil for Iraq. They are not ready to implement this. These are bylaws that governments use when they are out of laws and need a new form of revenue. This setting is going to lead a series of events to include, new taxation reform on tobacco that the price of it will surge dramatically and create a "Black market phenomenon" from Turkey, Iran, Siria, ect. This is not good for Iraq at this point in time. Iraq needs to reward its citizen not penalize them at this point in time. We all know that smoking is not a good habit but neither is penalizing its citizens that are still under greedy oppressions from the GOI. JMNHO. GLTA and Go RV.

• Upvote 2

I am going to add some revenue to the budget by smoking as many cigarettes as I can

in front of the parliment building or in front of there court house.I'll just sling a C-note to them up

front that should cover a case of cigs! Here they need ministers seated and all they can

come up with is smoking laws.Dam I was hoping to move to Iraq.Did you know when I was there

a carton of cigs only cost $4.00 Plus at least 80% of the people there smoke.

They are getting like the USA pushing laws to make quick cash off poor folks.

If I am outside and someone tells me to not smoke they might get there face smashed

plus I will light up 2 cigs plus chew a cut off my plug and spit the juice out

through my nose into a glass of water to be drank after I spit in it right in front of the person

who told me not to smoke.I punish people who tell me to not smoke! It aint purdy either what I will do!!!

Its not that I hate folks who dont like smoking because I wouldnt smoke if I was in a restaruant

or inside where there is no fresh air.But outside in public Kiss my cigarette butt.I fought for my

country and theres and I would be dammed if they handed me a ticket.

I am really tired of all the people who voice there opinions against smokers.

Consuming alcohol is 1000 times worse than smoking so TAX the hell out of there liqour 1000 times

cause I dont drink alcohol.The government introduced smoking to us but they wont COUGH up 1

thin dime to help us smokers quit you have to pay a doctor then a perscription that might not work

just to try and quit.Put it this way when they tell me I cant smoke in my vehicle or in my house

I will be smoking one when they come and then BLAM they wont tell me but once to stop!

We are suppose to have some kinda rights but when the anti smokers push that law into my face

watch out! KISS MY CIGARETTE BUTT :P

***///

Wonder what they were thinkin'... gonna drive the hukah pipe shops outta business...?

Everybody'll wanna cross the border into Turkey!

I'm with ya'll on this one... coulda taxed the hell outta them and paid for bullet-proof vests n' stuff!

Guess they want Iraqis to live long time so they can hand out more bicycles and justify all the

squawkin' they been doin' about pensioner monies.

Just bizarre logic... :blink:

The law aims to protect citizens from the danger of tobacco and reduce the number of smokers by taking measures to combat this plague :lol: you reckon the can go ahead ban Roadside bombs they smoke!!

That's funny......hey I'm good I quite smoking.....you idiots get something done that really helps get your people back to work.

No dopping in sports laws approved

No smoking laws approved

Come on........do whats right...

Am I the only one who caught the size of the fine? 8.50? Think about this for a moment.................

I like the way you think....

I think they are not talking about smoking outside but inside like how it is here.......the law reads.

Smoking in government offices, schools, universities, hospitals, airports, offices, theatres, gathering places, hotels, restaurants, nightclubs, markets and petrol stations will now be banned.

Good ? what about this The law is to take effect 90 days after it is published in the official gazette. Thought it just need to posted!!

You need a period of time for the public to be aware of the law. Any law, whether it be federal, state, or local, implements laws with different periods of awareness, depending upon the law.

I am going to add some revenue to the budget by smoking as many cigarettes as I can

in front of the parliment building or in front of there court house.I'll just sling a C-note to them up

front that should cover a case of cigs! Here they need ministers seated and all they can

come up with is smoking laws.Dam I was hoping to move to Iraq.Did you know when I was there

a carton of cigs only cost $4.00 Plus at least 80% of the people there smoke.

They are getting like the USA pushing laws to make quick cash off poor folks.

If I am outside and someone tells me to not smoke they might get there face smashed

plus I will light up 2 cigs plus chew a cut off my plug and spit the juice out

through my nose into a glass of water to be drank after I spit in it right in front of the person

who told me not to smoke.I punish people who tell me to not smoke! It aint purdy either what I will do!!!

Its not that I hate folks who dont like smoking because I wouldnt smoke if I was in a restaruant

or inside where there is no fresh air.But outside in public Kiss my cigarette butt.I fought for my

country and theres and I would be dammed if they handed me a ticket.

I am really tired of all the people who voice there opinions against smokers.

Consuming alcohol is 1000 times worse than smoking so TAX the hell out of there liqour 1000 times

cause I dont drink alcohol.The government introduced smoking to us but they wont COUGH up 1

thin dime to help us smokers quit you have to pay a doctor then a perscription that might not work

just to try and quit.Put it this way when they tell me I cant smoke in my vehicle or in my house

I will be smoking one when they come and then BLAM they wont tell me but once to stop!

We are suppose to have some kinda rights but when the anti smokers push that law into my face

watch out! KISS MY CIGARETTE BUTT :P

Lol - I do not want to be around you when you decide to quit smoking - yikers! B)