Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

DON'T SHOP AT LOWES

MyLadiesDaddy

Normally I would not post this kind of story but this one simply burned right down deep into who I am. 

When an employee of 19 yrs does something wrong you don't just fire that employee. But when that something wrong is call 911 first and not the store manager then the company policy is wrong. And now because of this story every single criminal mind knows that they can enter a Lowe's Home Improvement store and do whatever they want. And that means that if you or I enter into a Lowe's store you are now putting your life at risk. And, no, I don't know this employee, but I abhor ignorant behavior. 

If, like me, you are greatly offended by this employee's termination and the wrong corp. policy you may contact Lowe's at this address.

https://www.lowes.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ContactUsCategoryFAQPageView?storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&faqId=51

Lowe’s employee says she was fired for calling 911

WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) – Questions arise after a local Lowe’s employee says she was fired for calling 911 during a shoplifting incident.

The employee had worked for the store for almost 19 years and says she never knew about the shoplifting policy Lowe’s has in place.

“In the heat of the moment, you see something and you react to it,” stated Norma Haden, former Lowe’s employee.

That reaction was life changing for Haden.

This past Saturday she says a man ran out of the west Wichita Lowe’s with a chainsaw. Haden says she chased the man, and tried to grab the tool from him, and that’s when several other customers stepped in to help.

“They chased him out into the parking lot and they were trying to get the chainsaw back and get license tags, and they took off in vehicles and I stopped and that’s when I called 911,” stated Haden.

After police arrived, Haden said that’s when another employee told her that it’s against Lowe’s store policy to call 911 and pursue a shoplifter instead of telling a manager.

Haden has worked there for nearly 19 years, but said she didn’t know it was against policy.

KSN reached out to Lowes’ corporate office to find out what exactly the policy is regarding employees and shoplifting. They released this statement:

“Lowe’s works with law enforcement to prosecute shoplifters to the fullest extent the law allows. We have specific procedures to guide employees as they handle suspected shoplifting incidents. Those policies are in place, first and foremost, to protect the safety of employees and customers. Employees are trained on these procedures and instructed that their safety and the safety of other employees and customers, takes priority, and they are subject to disciplinary action if they circumvent these procedures, potentially putting themselves or others in harm’s way. We’re continuing to investigate this incident.”

For Haden, it leaves her frustrated as she is now is looking for new work.

“It’s more of just being heartbroken,” she said.

Norma’s husband took to Facebook with his frustrations the post has now been shared almost 3,000 times.

As for the policy at the west Wichita Lowe’s, Norma says the HR manager told her, they will now make sure to discuss the shoplifting policy with all employees to ensure everyone knows the policy.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Give her her job back, plus a public corporate apology, review the shoplifting policy and upgrade if necessary, updated training for all employees.....including the company safety officer.....and move on.  

I understand your frustration, LGD.  But I also understand the pickle a company could get itself in if the policy is for employees to track down the culprit and then gets gunned down in the parking lot, or simply refuses to chase after the crook out of fear.  Firing her was over the top disciplinary action and hopefully Lowe's makes the right amends.  As always, just my opinion.  

Wishing you and your precious family a very Merry Christmas, my friend.  :)

GO RV, then BV

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Shabibilicious said:

Give her her job back, plus a public corporate apology, review the shoplifting policy and upgrade if necessary, updated training for all employees.....including the company safety officer.....and move on.  

I understand your frustration, LGD.  But I also understand the pickle a company could get itself in if the policy is for employees to track down the culprit and then gets gunned down in the parking lot, or simply refuses to chase after the crook out of fear.  Firing her was over the top disciplinary action and hopefully Lowe's makes the right amends.  As always, just my opinion.  

Wishing you and your precious family a very Merry Christmas, my friend.  :)

GO RV, then BV

That is exactly what I wrote in my reply to Corp. headquarters through the link above. Following the criminal outside was not smart. And most definitely would require some kind of action from the management.  But firing a 19 yr long employee shows that the Management has other issues than what is stated. It seems to me that the store Manager may have thought that this employee may be in line to take her job. 

• Upvote 4

To reinforce the claim of not knowing the companies policy, she needs them to show in writing a form

that has her signature acknowledging the acceptance and understanding of said policy.

Verbal does't count. 

Otherwise they have no case and she needs to get her job back with back pay and an apology.

Where I came from they made you sign every class or policy change that came down the pipe.

Even ones that were in place already. We also had a saying" AVO - Avoid Verbal Orders

Everything in the form of an E-mail or letter. It does away with the getting thrown under the bus if

things go wrong. (this did not include the everyday functions of our job)  

Was it smart to chase and engage thief?  No. 

Did it show good judgement? No

Was the product worth her getting injured over? No

I can't second guess what she was thinking so I can't second guess what she should have done. 

• Upvote 1

I'm having a hard time believing she didn't know the rules?  I live near Corporate Lowe's and they had an employee fired over a couple of years ago for just going out in the parking lot to write down a license plate of a shoplifter!  Is that right?  Not sure?  But times sure have changed! :unsure:  The point is I'm sure that story traveled thru the company like wildfire...and they would have been extremely negligent if they didn't review their policy then with all employees!  Did they though?  Was it signed?  We shall see! 

• Upvote 5

***///

Home Depot doesn't treat US Vets as well as Lowe's does.

We show our I.D. at Lowe's and get the Military discount every time.

And Home Depot encourages the hiring of illegals at/near their locations.

Why don't they call INS...? 

How about Lowe's gives this 'ol Gal her job back, puts her through a day of re-training so they're

both on the same page and move on. And send a Memo for all to sign-off on reiterating their policy.

NSTOOLMAN is right --

• Upvote 4

I agree with nstoolsman and the gals but there's still the lingering question: Was this an employee who has had issues and they were waiting for her to screw up?

I'll agree that they messed up when they fired her unless they can back it up with verbal and written warnings, signed forms saying she knew the rules, etc. firing right before Christmas really sucks. Even I have more heart than that.

Well - I just recently started working part time at Lowes - and I know that in the store I work in, they will reiterate key policies at employee meetings.  We were just told to review the active shooter policy the other morning (and that was a Saturday).  They have a corporate intranet with all the policies that you can get into anytime.  I know I had to not only sign the employee book, but they keep track of the training through a training database also.

The corporate reason to not attempt to take back the merchandise or try to physically stop the suspect is two fold in my opinion. 1 - it can place you or customers at risk for bodily injury - and nothing is so expensive it should cost a life. 2- it can be construed as assault in many states, and can open the employee up to criminal charges. Sad, I know - but that's the law.

As for a 20 year retirement - well, they have employee 401(k) that at they match up to 3%, (even part timers) they allow stock purchase - but no formal retirement at 20 years that I've seen.

The tough part is Kansas is an "at will" state. In other words - an employee can be fired at any time with no reason given by the employer. Again - not saying that's right - just saying its the law.

Just my perspective from my foxhole.

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, tankdude said:

Well - I just recently started working part time at Lowes - and I know that in the store I work in, they will reiterate key policies at employee meetings.  We were just told to review the active shooter policy the other morning (and that was a Saturday).  They have a corporate intranet with all the policies that you can get into anytime.  I know I had to not only sign the employee book, but they keep track of the training through a training database also.

The corporate reason to not attempt to take back the merchandise or try to physically stop the suspect is two fold in my opinion. 1 - it can place you or customers at risk for bodily injury - and nothing is so expensive it should cost a life. 2- it can be construed as assault in many states, and can open the employee up to criminal charges. Sad, I know - but that's the law.

As for a 20 year retirement - well, they have employee 401(k) that at they match up to 3%, (even part timers) they allow stock purchase - but no formal retirement at 20 years that I've seen.

The tough part is Kansas is an "at will" state. In other words - an employee can be fired at any time with no reason given by the employer. Again - not saying that's right - just saying its the law.

Agreed. I supply Lowe's with building materials. Wonderful company. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, tankdude said:

I understand and agree with your statement, however, terminating someone with 19 yrs servitude over a mistake as this is ridiculous. I just received a reply to my letter to Corporate, they gave me the number to the regional  manager. After my conversation I will tell everyone what was said. 

Again, what the employee did was clearly wrong, but being fired for calling 911 is not right. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, ladyGrace'sDaddy said:

I'm trying to understand the relevance here but it isn't coming. Can you through some light on what you are saying? 

Yeah don't shop at these giant corporations who import more Chinese crap than anyone in America and treat their people like dogs... Make America great... Shop local. I guarantee you mom and pop businesses treat their people better than these companies... The story you posted is unbelievable. But corporations could care less. The last major corporation that I worked for told their employees in a meeting and I quote "If you don't like it, there are 100 people who want your job" I told that guy to eat **** and die, then walked out and started my own business. Best thing I ever did.

B/A

• Upvote 2

Thanks LGD. Things like this are happening a little to often in major

corporations now a days. A friend of mine recently was let go from a major Boston

law firm accused of stealing an energy bar. They said that they has it on film but have not produced the tape.

. She was two days short of her 20th year there. A couple of weeks prior

a new supervisor was over heard saying it was time to get rid of the old folks around

here. She was fired too. It is very sad.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, nannab said:

Thanks LGD. Things like this are happening a little to often in major

corporations now a days. A friend of mine recently was let go from a major Boston

law firm accused of stealing an energy bar. They said that they has it on film but have not produced the tape.

. She was two days short of her 20th year there. A couple of weeks prior

a new supervisor was over heard saying it was time to get rid of the old folks around

here. She was fired too. It is very sad.

That is truly sad to hear. But I do have an update from Lowes. 

Last night I got a call from the head of Customer Relations at Corporate, he was a very respectful man and informed me that he believed I was correct in that the employee should only have been written up. He said that Corporate was doing an investigation into the issue and that he would make certain that my thoughts would be included into his report. When  he asked me what my main issue was, I told him that I would very much like to see Lowes issue a public statement informing the public that they will call 911 as soon as a crime is witnessed.  I informed him that my main concern was that by letting the public know that it is not Lowes policy to call 911 they let every criminal mind know that Lowes is the place to go and that makes honorable citizens nervous. So hopefully this issue will be rectified in short order and super hopefully the employee will get her job back.  

• Upvote 5

As a former HR person, I know that a lot of corporations don't like older workers because it keeps the health premiums high. They look for opportunities to let older workers go, despite ADEA laws. I know, I was one of them. I watched my team let go as they got 50+. Lockheed Martin faced a class action lawsuit over this issue in the 80s.  If an employer can fire for cause it saves them a legal nightmare. 

Just adding another voice to the mix. 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, easterlily said:

As a former HR person, I know that a lot of corporations don't like older workers because it keeps the health premiums high. They look for opportunities to let older workers go, despite ADEA laws. I know, I was one of them. I watched my team let go as they got 50+. Lockheed Martin faced a class action lawsuit over this issue in the 80s.  If an employer can fire for cause it saves them a legal nightmare. 

Just adding another voice to the mix. 

Honestly,easterlily, that is essentially what I think has happened here. But to blame her termination on calling 911 is silly at best and threatening at worst. Wichita is fast becoming a gangland area and all nefarious types need is a signal that someone won't call the Police. It just makes Lowes a prime target. 

I pray that you and yours and Oldsarge Ladies all have the most Wonderful Merry Christmas ever. 

• Upvote 3