Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

“The largest disease outbreak that we know of ever in the oceans”

RSTEFAN

http://enenews.com/tv-largest-disease-outbreak-oceans-hitting-west-coast-potential-global-extinction-affects-twenty-species-coast-causing-catastrophic-mortality-video

TV: “The largest disease outbreak that we know of ever in the oceans” now hitting West Coast — Potential for “global extinction” — “Affects over 20 species… causing catastrophic mortality” — Expert: One of history’s largest wildlife die-offs… signal in ecosystem that something’s not right (VIDEO)

Macleans, June 13, 2014: From Alaska to Mexico—and all along the B.C. coast—an iconic animal is disappearing. For reasons that remain baffling to scientists, starfish are dying by the millions, in the grips of a mysterious wasting disease that dissolves their bodies into goo. “I’d do beach walks along a 50-m stretch of shoreline, and count 500 or 1,000 of them,” says Chris Harley, a marine ecologist at the University of British Columbia who’s been monitoring sea stars (as scientists call them) for nearly two decades [...] Revisiting one of these sites recently, he found a single sea star. […] “This is one of the largest wildlife die-offs that we know of,” [seattle Aquarium veterinarian Lesanna Lahner] says. “It’s a signal in the ecosystem that something’s not right.”

Eugene Weekly, June 12, 2014: “The way the rate has accelerated, I don’t think most sea stars along the Oregon coast are long for this world,” says Bruce Menge, a marine ecologist with Oregon State University.

KUOW News, June 16, 2014: “It’s a lot worse than it was last week,” says [Drew] Harvell, a marine epidemiologist at Cornell University. [...] “It’s the largest mortality event for marine diseases we’ve seen,” Harvell said. “It affects over twenty species on our coast and it’s been causing catastrophic mortality.” [...] From what Harvell and her team see as they survey beaches [of Washington's San Juan archipelago], there’s not much time for these starfish [...] “My expectation is that within the next month all of the stars will die.” The team checked this rocky patch last week and found 10 percent of the stars showed signs of the wasting syndrome. Today they estimate that number has increased to more than 40 percent. [...]  Harvell said, “This area has some of the highest biodiversity of sea stars in the world. We’re not just losing one keystone species, we’re losing a whole guild of stars.” And the stars here are what’s called an endemic species, meaning they only live on this shoreline and nowhere else on the planet, she explained. If sea stars are wiped out along these shores, there’s a potential for not just local, but global extinction.

EarthFix (Oregon Public Broadcasting, KCTS9, KUOW), June 15, 2014 — Drew Harvell, Cornell University: “This is the largest disease outbreak that we know of ever in the oceans. [...] I’m expecting that in the next two weeks we will lose virtually all the stars at this site [in Washington] [...] To lose all of them at once, we don’t even know what’s going to happen.”

Watch the EarthFix video here

• Upvote 1

Wow! I wonder if it has anything to with Japans nuclar distaster last year, that waste went somewhere. its just now starting to manifest itself. We dont know whats happening to other fish and mamals out there. if something dies nobody knows cause its under water.

• Upvote 2

Wow! I wonder if it has anything to with Japans nuclar distaster last year, that waste went somewhere. its just now starting to manifest itself. We dont know whats happening to other fish and mamals out there. if something dies nobody knows cause its under water.

my first thoughts exactly....that could REALLY be the cause

• Upvote 3

My thoughts too!!!

• Upvote 1

I remember reading about things from Japan washing up on the beaches in Washington, OR, & CA and how much it was costing to get rid of all the debris that has washed up. I do hope that this not the cause of this poisonin. I hate when animals are killed for no reason and to kill an animal there needs to be a real good reason and thats food. Maybe the Dr. will figure out what is causing the die off and we can solve the problem fairly easy and quickly. There is no tellin what kind of contamination washed up either they have been real quite about it lately. JMHO!

Mass die off`s are a completely natural phenomena, especially during times of over populations.

Fish do it , Mammals do it Birds do it Insects do it.  everything is in cycles.

I wouldnt be holding up "THE END IS NEAR"  signs just yet. :)  

• Upvote 4

Whats wrong with the strawberries, My grandchildren love those things and I buy them fast as they eatem?

Certain fruits and vegetables are more prone to absorbing chemicals than others. My wife just discovered that if you soak your fruit in a bowl of water with a slight amount of vinegar...I think it's around a tablespoon for a gallon of water...for 10 minutes it will clean the toxins out of the fruit. One advantage we found also...the strawberries stay fresher longer...we had our last batch last 1-1/2 weeks...just sayin'!!!

• Upvote 2

Certain fruits and vegetables are more prone to absorbing chemicals than others. My wife just discovered that if you soak your fruit in a bowl of water with a slight amount of vinegar...I think it's around a tablespoon for a gallon of water...for 10 minutes it will clean the toxins out of the fruit. One advantage we found also...the strawberries stay fresher longer...we had our last batch last 1-1/2 weeks...just sayin'!!!

I take 2 table spoon Apple cider vinegar every day any I've been feeling alot better since I've been doing it. It cleans the toxins out of your body and other things it has done for me.So I agree with you.

• Upvote 2

This has happened before.

Starfish wasting disease
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Starfish wasting disease or sea star wasting syndrome is a disease of starfish that appears sporadically, causing mass mortality of affected starfish. The disease is little understood and no identifiable cause for these events has been found, although it seems to be associated with raised water temperatures. It starts with the emergence of lesions, followed by body fragmentation and death.[1] The cause of the syndrome is unknown.[2][3]

220px-Leather_star_fish.jpg
magnify-clip.png
The leather star seems resistant to starfish wasting disease

Symptoms[edit]

Typically the first symptom of starfish wasting disease is white lesions that appear on the surface of the starfish and spread rapidly, followed by decay of tissue surrounding the lesions. Next the animal becomes limp as the water vascular system fails and it is no longer able to maintain its internal hydrostatic balance. The body structure begins to break down, signs of stretching appear between the arms which may twist and fall off, and the animal dies. The arms may continue to crawl around for a while after being shed. Progression of these events can be rapid, leading to death within a few days.[4][5]

A deflated appearance can precede other morphological signs of the disease. All of these symptoms are also associated with ordinary attributes of unhealthy stars and can arise when an individual is stranded too high in the intertidal zone (for example) and simply desiccates. "True" wasting disease will be present in individuals that are found in suitable habitat, often in the midst of other individuals that might also be affected. [5]

1972 plague[edit]

A die-off of large numbers of common starfish (Asterias rubens) occurred in 1972 off the east coast of the United States. The starfish became limp and fell apart into pieces.[6]

1978 plague[edit]

In 1978 large numbers of the predatory starfish Heliaster kubiniji succumbed to a wasting disease in the Gulf of California. At the time it was suspected that high water temperatures were a causal factor. This starfish became locally extinct in some parts of the gulf and some populations had still not recovered by the year 2000. Because this starfish is a top-level predator, its disappearance had profound effects on the ecosystem.[7] In the Channel Islands off the coast of California, ten species of starfish were recorded as being affected as well as three species of sea urchins, twobrittle stars and a sea cucumber, all of which experienced large population declines.[8]

2013 plagues[edit]

In July 2013, populations of starfish declined rapidly on the east coast of the United States between New Jersey and Maine. There had been a great increase in starfish numbers three years earlier and now they were dying off. No cause for the mysterious deaths was apparent.[9]

At the beginning of September 2013, a mass die-off of starfish was reported off the coast of British Columbia. The sea bed was littered with disintegrating sunflower stars (Pycnopodia helianthoides), their detached arms and discs. Another species also suffering mortalities was the morning sun star (Solaster dawsoni) but no cause for the deaths was apparent. If they were caused by infection or toxins, the two species might have affected each other because the diet of each includes starfish.[10]

In October 2013, in a marine laboratory seawater tank in California holding various species of starfish, other species started displaying similar symptoms. The ochre star (Pisaster ochraceus) was the first affected. Most of these developed symptoms, lost arms and died over the course of a week or so. Later the rainbow star (Orthasterias koehleri) developed the disease and died, but the bat star (Patiria miniata) and leather star (Dermasterias imbricata), which were living in the same tank and had been scavenging on the corpses, showed no ill effects.[4] At Natural Bridges State Marine Reserve in California, the ochre star is normally a very common resident on the mussel beds, but in November 2013 it was reported to have completely disappeared.[4]

• Upvote 3

I take 2 table spoon Apple cider vinegar every day any I've been feeling alot better since I've been doing it. It cleans the toxins out of your body and other things it has done for me.So I agree with you.

Im going to try that!

Where is sand fly we need A Thanks!

http://www.earthworkshealth.com/human-use.php

http://www.processedfreeamerica.org/resources/health-news/793-health-benefits-of-diatomaceous-earth-

http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/defaq.html