Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Pope Benedict stepping down

Houston1099

Pope Benedict stepping down, cites poor health

By Philip Pullella | Reuters – 1 hr 43 mins

• 2013-02-11T112923Z_1_CBRE91A0VX700_RTROPTP_2_CNEWS-US-POPE-RESIGNS.JPGView Photo
  • Reuters/Reuters - Pope Benedict XVI waves during a mass conducted by Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone, for the 900th anniversary of the Order of the Knights of Malta at the St. Peter Basilica in Vatican February 9, …more

VATICAN CITY (Reuters) - Pope Benedict shocked the world on Monday by saying he no longer had the mental and physical strength to cope with his ministry, in an announcement that left his aides "incredulous" and will make him the first pontiff to step down since the Middle Ages.

The German-born Pope, 85, hailed as a hero by conservative Roman Catholics and viewed with suspicion by liberals, told cardinals in Latin that his strength had deteriorated recently. He will step down on February 28 and the Vatican expects a new Pope to be chosen by the end of March.

Vatican spokesman Father Federico Lombardi said the Pope had not decided to resign because of "difficulties in the papacy" and the move had been a surprise, indicating that even his inner circle was unaware that he was about to quit.

The Pope does not fear schism in the Church after his resignation, the spokesman said.

The Pope's leadership of 1.2 billion Catholics has been beset by child sexual abuse crises that tarnished the Church, one address in which he upset Muslims and a scandal over the leaking of his private papers by his personal butler.

The pope told the cardinals that in order to govern "...both strength of mind and body are necessary, strength which in the last few months, has deteriorated in me to the extent that I have had to recognize my incapacity to adequately fulfill the ministry entrusted to me.

"For this reason, and well aware of the seriousness of this act, with full freedom I declare that I renounce the ministry of Bishop of Rome, Successor of Saint Peter."

He also referred to "today's world, subject to so many rapid changes and shaken by questions of deep relevance for the life of faith."

The last Pope to resign willingly was Celestine V in 1294 after reigning for only five months, his resignation was known as "the great refusal" and was condemned by the poet Dante in the "Divine Comedy". Gregory XII reluctantly abdicated in 1415 to end a dispute with a rival claimant to the papacy.

"NO OUTSIDE PRESSURE," JUST ADVANCING AGE

Before he was elected Pope, the former Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger was known by such critical epithets as "God's rottweiler" because of his stern stand on theological issues.

But after several years into his new job Benedict showed that he not only did not bite but barely even barked.

In recent months, the pope has looked increasingly frail in public, sometimes being helped to walk by those around him.

Lombardi ruled out depression or uncertainty as being behind the resignation, saying the move was not due to any specific illness, just advancing age.

The Pope had shown "great courage, determination" aware of the "great problems the church faces today", he said, adding the timing may have reflected the Pope's desire to avoid the exhausting rush of Easter engagements.

There was no outside pressure and Benedict took his "personal decision" in the last few months, he added.

Israel's Chief Rabbi praised Benedict's inter-faith outreach and wished him good health. The Archbishop of Canterbury, head of the Anglican Church, said he had learned of the Pope's decision with a heavy heart but complete understanding.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel said the Pope's decision must be respected if he feels he is too weak to carry out his duties. British Prime Minister David Cameron said: "He will be missed as a spiritual leader to millions."

The pontiff would step down from 2 p.m. ET on February 28, leaving the office vacant until a successor was chosen to Benedict who succeeded John Paul, one of history's most popular pontiffs, the spokesman said.

Elected to the papacy on April 19, 2005 when he was 78 - 20 years older than John Paul was when he was elected - Benedict ruled over a slower-paced, more cerebral and less impulsive Vatican.

MEEK DEMEANOUR, STEELY INTELLECT

But while conservatives cheered him for trying to reaffirm traditional Catholic identity, his critics accused him of turning back the clock on reforms by nearly half a century and hurting dialogue with Muslims, Jews and other Christians.

Under the German's meek demeanor lay a steely intellect ready to dissect theological works for their dogmatic purity and debate fiercely against dissenters.

After appearing uncomfortable in the limelight at the start, he began feeling at home with his new job and showed that he intended to be Pope in his way.

Despite great reverence for his charismatic, globe-trotting predecessor -- whom he put on the fast track to sainthood and whom he beatified in 2011 -- aides said he was determined not to change his quiet manner to imitate John Paul's style.

A quiet, professorial type who relaxed by playing the piano, he managed to show the world the gentle side of the man who was the Vatican's chief doctrinal enforcer for nearly a quarter of a century.

The first German pope for some 1,000 years and the second non-Italian in a row, he traveled regularly, making about four foreign trips a year, but never managed to draw the oceanic crowds of his predecessor.

The child abuse scandals hounded most of his papacy. He ordered an official inquiry into abuse in Ireland, which led to the resignation of several bishops.

STRING OF SCANDALS

Scandal from a source much closer to home hit in 2012 when the pontiff's butler, responsible for dressing him and bringing him meals, was found to be the source of leaked documents alleging corruption in the Vatican's business dealings, causing an international furor.

He confronted his own country's past when he visited the Nazi death camp at Auschwitz.

Calling himself "a son of Germany", he prayed and asked why God was silent when 1.5 million victims, most of them Jews, died there during World War Two.

Ratzinger served in the Hitler Youth during World War Two when membership was compulsory. He was never a member of the Nazi party and his family opposed Adolf Hitler's regime.

But his trip to Germany also prompted the first major crisis of his pontificate. In a university lecture he quoted a 14th century Byzantine emperor as saying Islam had only brought evil to the world and that it was spread by the sword.

After protests that included attacks on churches in the Middle East and the killing of a nun in Somalia, the Pope later said he regretted any misunderstanding the speech caused.

In a move that was widely seen as conciliatory, in late 2006 he made a historic trip to predominantly Muslim Turkey and prayed in Istanbul's Blue Mosque with a Turkish Mufti.

But months later, former Iranian President Mohammad Khatami met the Pope and said wounds between Christians and Muslims were still "very deep" as a result of the Regensburg speech.

(Writing by Peter Millership; editing by Janet McBride and Ralph Boulton)

http://news.yahoo.com/pope-resigns-saying-no-longer-strength-fulfill-ministry-112923467.html

• Upvote 2

First time in 600 years

He`s afraid of something.

A pope who fears Satan is no help at all

To old that just dont make sense

The older you get the more close to god you become.

Is the Antichrist here ?

Has ole nick finally made it to the the party?

Hmmmm

Time to catch up on your St. Malachy prophecy, everyone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prophecy_of_the_Popes

Edited by ReVbo
  • Upvote 1

There's more involved with being Pope than parade waving and Easter services. If his body can't handle the rigorous schedule, I commend him for stepping aside. Enjoy retirement Pope Benedict. God be with you. smile.gif

Sorry shabs . You obviously are not catholic. Popes don't retire dude. They die. Doesn't matter if they stoke out and cant move they are pope till their last breath. 600 years shab 600 years its been this way. There are the holiest of holies. They just don't up and quit because of failing health

• Upvote 1

There's more involved with being Pope than parade waving and Easter services. If his body can't handle the rigorous schedule, I commend him for stepping aside. Enjoy retirement Pope Benedict. God be with you. smile.gif

you are soo clueless laugh.gif may God open your eyes to the truth someday. Popes dont RESIGN!!!!!!!!! get it!!!!! theres something else going on.

***///

Indeed there MAY WELL BE something else going on....

as we said when this thread was 1st posted elsewhere hereon today,

He may have had a Divine Enlightening and decided he IS a True Man of God and can no longer tolerate the SATANIC PETRINE MINISTRY being his Slave Masters.

(Petrine Ministry: Illuminati)

Go with God, Old Man... GOOD FOR YOU!.....and may Peace be with you all your remaining days.

• Upvote 2

I was thinking of this when I heard the news this morning and think Dog53 may be right... God help us all!!

I was thinking of this when I heard the news this morning and think Dog53 may be right... God help us all!!

you are soo clueless laugh.gif may God open your eyes to the truth someday. Popes dont RESIGN!!!!!!!!! get it!!!!! theres something else going on.

Now I see what you're saying........Being elevated to Pope is a death sentence. Don't mistake "glass half full" for cluelessness.......this site doesn't need another "glass half empty" soul. wink.gif

GO RV, then BV

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

He has old fashioned ways. He was undoing the work what John Paul (who was loved by many people and other religions) had done previously.

Good that he's stepping down. Maybe they voted him out like survivor... :lol: Maybe someone a little younger with better ideas can help bring peace to the world. :unsure:

Oh...and don't bash me...I grew up with this shoved down my throat daily that I was a sinner while attending Catholic schools and church.

• Upvote 2

I wouldn't bash you Goldie but I believe if you're gonna stand for or have a belief in something you have to stand firm in it and just because things are changing today doesn't mean the principles are supposed to change with it... there's no such thing as a contemporary christian, you either firmly believe what your faith was founded on or you don't... that's JMO, we all have one.. BTW, I have never fully understood catholicism, I am just speaking in general.

I wouldn't bash you Goldie but I believe if you're gonna stand for or have a belief in something you have to stand firm in it and just because things are changing today doesn't mean the principles are supposed to change with it... there's no such thing as a contemporary christian, you either firmly believe what your faith was founded on or you don't... that's JMO, we all have one.. BTW, I have never fully understood catholicism, I am just speaking in general.

• Upvote 3

Prophecy is very interesting. The city of seven hills could be Rome, but I also noticed that lots of people think it refers to Jerusalem. I really admire the stands that this man has made. Standing firm on one's belief can be difficult, and is not always popular. My husband is a pastor, and we have seen opposition for taking strong stands. I cannot even imagine the amount of pressure that position holds. Plus I think lots of people expect the pope to be perfect. Difficult expectations and lots of stress, I am sure.

• Upvote 2

fox & Nadita - I always understood the 7 hills to be Rome - from Wikipedia - not that it is always right. :)/>

I like history and love Biblical history - and there is something big time brewing world wise and I can feel it.

edited to add: SgtFury - right on!

The Seven Hills of Rome (Italian: Sette colli di Roma) east of the river Tiber form the geographical heart of Rome, within the walls of the ancient city.

The seven hills are:

Aventine Hill (Latin, Aventinus; Italian, Aventino)

Caelian Hill (Caelius, Celio)

Capitoline Hill (Capitolium, Campidoglio)

Esquiline Hill (Esquilinus, Esquilino)

Palatine Hill (Palatinus, Palatino)

Quirinal Hill (Quirinalis, Quirinale)

Viminal Hill (Viminalis, Viminale)

The original city was held by tradition to have been founded by Romulus on the Palatine Hill.

Tradition holds that the seven hills were first occupied by small settlements and not grouped or recognized as a city called Rome. The denizens of the seven hills began to participate in a series of religious games, which started to bond the groups. The city of Rome, thus, came into being as these separate settlements acted as a group, draining the marshy valleys between them and turning them into markets (fora in Latin). Later, in the early 4th century BC, the seven hills were protected through the Servian Walls.

Of the seven hills of current Rome, five (Aventine, Caelian, Esquiline, Quirinal, and Viminal hills) are populated with monuments, buildings, and parks. The Capitoline now hosts Rome's city hall, and the Palatine Hill belongs to the main archaeological area.

The Vatican Hill (Latin Collis Vaticanus) lying northwest of the Tiber, the Pincian Hill (Latin Mons Pincius), lying to the north, and the Janiculum Hill (Latin Ianiculum), lying to the west, are not counted among the traditional Seven Hills.

• Upvote 1

First time in 600 years

Is the Antichrist here ?

Hmmmm

Probably he is ( afraid of something). It's been hundreds of years of weird events in the Vatican anyway.

John Paul I death is still a mystery.

Edited by umbertino

I don't know much about it, but I found the following info "Jerusalem is situated on seven hills" (recorded in The Book of Legends, edited by Bialik and Ravnitzky, p. 371, paragraph 111). And, so it was. Those "seven hills" are easy to identify.

If one starts with the Mount of Olives just to the east of the main City of Jerusalem (but still reckoned to be located within the environs of Jerusalem), there are three summits to that Mount of Olives:

The northern summit (hill) is called Scopus [Hill One],

The middle summit (hill) was called Nob [Hill Two],

The highest point of Olivet itself, and the southern summit (hill) was called in the Holy Scriptures the "Mount of Corruption" or "Mount of Offence" [Hill Three] (II Kings 23:13).

On the middle ridge between the Kedron and the Tyropoeon Valleys there was (formerly) in the south "Mount Zion" [Hill Four] (the original "Mount Zion" and not the later southwest hill that was later called by that name),

The "Ophel Mount" [Hill Five],

To the north of that the "Rock" around which "Fort Antonia" was built [Hill Six],

And finally, there was the southwest hill itself [Hill Seven] that finally became known in the time of Simon the Hasmonean as the new "Mount Zion."

This makes "Seven Hills" in all.

• Upvote 1

fox & Nadita - I always understood the 7 hills to be Rome - from Wikipedia - not that it is always right. :)/>/>

I like history and love Biblical history - and there is something big time brewing world wise and I can feel it.

edited to add: SgtFury - right on!

The Seven Hills of Rome (Italian: Sette colli di Roma) east of the river Tiber form the geographical heart of Rome, within the walls of the ancient city.

The seven hills are:

Aventine Hill (Latin, Aventinus; Italian, Aventino)

Caelian Hill (Caelius, Celio)

Capitoline Hill (Capitolium, Campidoglio)

Esquiline Hill (Esquilinus, Esquilino)

Palatine Hill (Palatinus, Palatino)

Quirinal Hill (Quirinalis, Quirinale)

Viminal Hill (Viminalis, Viminale)

The original city was held by tradition to have been founded by Romulus on the Palatine Hill.

Tradition holds that the seven hills were first occupied by small settlements and not grouped or recognized as a city called Rome. The denizens of the seven hills began to participate in a series of religious games, which started to bond the groups. The city of Rome, thus, came into being as these separate settlements acted as a group, draining the marshy valleys between them and turning them into markets (fora in Latin). Later, in the early 4th century BC, the seven hills were protected through the Servian Walls.

Of the seven hills of current Rome, five (Aventine, Caelian, Esquiline, Quirinal, and Viminal hills) are populated with monuments, buildings, and parks. The Capitoline now hosts Rome's city hall, and the Palatine Hill belongs to the main archaeological area.

The Vatican Hill (Latin Collis Vaticanus) lying northwest of the Tiber, the Pincian Hill (Latin Mons Pincius), lying to the north, and the Janiculum Hill (Latin Ianiculum), lying to the west, are not counted among the traditional Seven Hills.

Indeed. Thanks.

• Upvote 1

First time in 600 years

Is the Antichrist here ?

Hmmmm

Dog I have to agree with you. 600 years is a long time, no Pope has stepped down, why now?

Pope John Paul ll reigned 1978-2005, traveled 129 countries. Survived an assassination attempt in 1981 and a 2nd attempt in 1982. In 1995 he was a target of the Al-Qaeda plot when he visited the Philippines. 2001 struck with Parkinson's disease. 2005 severe Osteoarthritis , trouble hearing and walking. Breathing complications with bouts with influenza, in which this lead to a tracheotomy, urinary track infection and septic shock and low blood pressure. Along with carrying the world on his shoulder. And he reign till his last breath. This is a huge cross for one man. He chose to be a Man of God and be, until the end of his time. You can't tell me this Pope didn't have challenges and trials. You can't tell me this man didn't have a heavy heart.

I would think that Pope Benedict would of continued to be an example. Carry his challenges with the help of God in the name of Jesus and continue to serve his people. This is all boggling to me for this Pope to resign.

There has to be something more behind this. JMO

I pray that this event will not disturb the faith of the Catholics. To remain faithful to God and to continue to serve Him with reverence and love.

• Upvote 1

Fox and Sage,

I don't study what's going on with Vatican. I read the book of Revelation and have a good understanding about the end times. You might not agree with my opinion but I think it starts in the Middle East and will end in the Middle East. We are all players in the puzzle but with this Pope resigning, I think we are getting close to end times. The new pope will be "anti Christ". The pope just doesn't resign out of a blue...there must be something that they are not telling us why because it will open up the can of worm that nobody will be able to close or collect the worms. The birth pang already started and tribulation might start when the Pope resigns from the office. We are in the time where we have to lean on God very close and follow His voice as His sheep will hear His voice. The Lord will bring us the provision as the time we are in is the difficult time.

The thought just came to my mind this morning as I was reading the news about the Pope's resignation. And of course, it ties to the dinar. As the rumor said before, that rv will happen in the first quarter of 2013. The pope's resignation is a complete surprise. Could this be it ? preparation for the end time and Isaiah 45:3 comes to play for the harvest ? and preparing His people for what's coming. Because if we are not taking the mark of the beast (666) we need money and gold and silver to survive the tribulation. I guess I am reading too much into dinar and mixing with prophesy :)/>

• Upvote 2

Is there any thing in the constitution that would prohibit Obama from holding the position of pope too? Might be an opportunity to get a second Nobel Peace Prize.

***///***///***///

don't laugh.... THAT may be his next Illuminati appointment,

seeing as how he was able to convince so many ignorant people he's a messiah..... <_<

***///***///***///

seeing as how he was able to convince so many ignorant people he's a messiah..... <_</>

I'm sure Obama wouldn't turn down the job if offered, but alas, the Pope has to be Catholic. Barry may profess to be many things, but Roman Catholic is one I've never heard, and I've followed him closely. The rule is that any baptized Catholic male may become Pope. In practice, it pretty much has to be one of the cardinals of the church. They tried a lower lever bishop once, and it went badly, so every pope since has come from the ranks of the cardinals.

***///***///***///

seeing as how he was able to convince so many ignorant people he's a messiah..... <_</>/>

I wounder if his resignation has anything to do with the dove of peace being attacked? Could be that God is trying to tell us something.

Edited by jobug38

That the Pope might step down has been openly discussed since Sep 2011, if not before then. From my observation, Pope Benedict seems more of a quiet contemplative cerebral intellectual kind of guy than his more recent predecessors and extremely sincere in his attachment to the principles of responsibilities he commands.

We are now in a time wherein we live so much longer than we did during the early years of the Popes. Indeed, there is and has been talk in the Vatican of limiting the papacy to men under a certain age, and/or restricting it from men over a certain age.

Pope Benedict's decision to resign at this time, in my humble opinion is very consistent with his principled thinking, his intellectual understanding of responsibility and his commitment to the Holy See and the Church, in assuring leadership that can and will pace the occurrences of the world in this most challenging time..... Again, imho...

09/25/2011

Media say Pope may resign in April

d6ed36a7ff.jpgTHE POPE

According to Italian daily newspaper "Libero", Pope Benedict XVI is thinking about leaving the papacy next April, when he will turn 85

ANDREA TORNIELLI

VATICAN CITY

There is one front page news story that will certainly not go unnoticed: that is, that the Pope is thinking about resigning during the Spring of 2012. Journalist Antonio Socci has confirmed the same in the Italian daily, Libero.

"For now,” Socci writes, “he is saying that this may be true (Joseph Ratzinger’s personal assumption), but I hope the story does not reach the news. But this rumor is circulating high up in the Vatican and therefore deserves close attention. The Pope has not rejected the possibility of his resignation when he turns 85 in April next year.”

Socci recalls that the assumption he will resign, without any hitches, was the same thing Ratzinger talked about in an interview in the book “Luce del mondo” (Light of the World), when, in response to a question by interviewer Peter Seewald, he said: “When a Pope arrives at a clear awareness that he no longer has the physical, mental, or psychological capacity to carry out the task that has been entrusted to him, then he has the right, and in some cases, even the duty to resign.” Furthermore, in another passage, Benedict XVI wondered if he would be able to “withstand it all, just from the physical point of view.”

Socci makes the following observation in today’s edition of Libero: “Today, Pope Benedict seems to be in really good form; just the same, there’s the issue of his age and just how much energy he has left.” But the writer/journalist also recalls another passage from the same book interview, which has to do with the attacks and controversies related to the pedophile priests' scandal: “When there is a great menace, one cannot simply run away from it. That is why, right now, it is definitely not the time to resign.”

“It is actually at moments like these that one needs to resist and overcome difficult situations. One can only resign at a time when things are calm, or simply, when nothing more can be done about it. But one cannot run away right when the threat is alive and say, ‘Let somebody else take care of it.”

The issue of papal resignations has been the subject of debate for many decades. Pope Pius XII had prepared a letter in which he stated he would resign if he were taken away by the Nazis (“In that way, they will have Cardinal Pacelli, but not the Pope.”)

Pope John XXIII, while talking with his confessor, had taken into consideration that he would possibly have to leave when his illness worsened. Even Pope Paul VI, who had established the exclusion of those who were over 80 from the conclave, and renunciation of the episcopal seat at the age of 75, seriously thought about resigning in 1977, when he turned 80, but his entourage dissuaded him from going ahead with this. This issue came up again, in a dramatic fashion, with Pope John Paul Il’s long illness; he had even prepared a letter of resignation.

Anyone who knows Ratzinger would confirm that the answer he gave to Seewald, is what he feels would be best, in the event of him becoming physically, mentally, or psychologically incapacitated. However, such a possibility seems, at the moment, somewhat remote. In fact, one is immediately struck by the contrast between the front page story in Libero and the images coming from Germany, where Benedict XVI is concluding an historic trip, during which he made 18 speeches in four days. Many of these put him under considerable pressure, especially as they were entirely written by him. The German press was astonished at the old Pontiff’s endurance, which he demonstrated by the fact that he was able to manage all the exhaustion from moving around; he did not sleep more than one night in a single bed. And he was successful in carrying out a packed schedule of engagements, meetings, vigils, and celebrations.

PS There is the Holy See and centuries of doctrine and faith that would not allow Obama to be Pope, no matter how much he might like the job. Be assured his name is not in the candidate pool (I don't even think he is Catholic) smile.gif

• Upvote 2