Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

No Oil Law, No Budget: Allawi's Iraqi List Boycotts As Parliament is preparing to discuss a series of important laws, Oil and Gas Law and Budget

dinarbeleiver

December 18, 2011

Iraq’s powerful Sunni-backed bloc suspends participation in parliament to protest government

Baghdad, Iraqi Sunni-backed political bloc suspended its participation in parliament to protest the control of key posts by Shiite Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki, a reminder of the fragile political and sectarian situation as last U.S. soldiers rolled out of the country on Sunday.

Also in Baghdad, a bomb exploded near shops selling car parts in an eastern neighborhood, killing two people and wounding four others, police and hospital officials said. The attack was the latest in the nearly daily violence — low-level but still deadly — that continues to bleed Iraq as the Americans end their nearly 9-year war here.

Continues ...read more ..

The boycott decision by Iraqiya bloc, headed by Ayad Allawi, was in response to the government’s failure to share more powers, particularly the authorities over the security forces, said Sunni lawmaker Hamid al-Mutlaq, a member of the bloc.

“We are against the concentration of security powers in the hands of one person, that is the prime minister,” said al-Mutlaq.

The Iraqiya bloc narrowly won the most seats in last year’s parliamentary election, but Allawi was outmaneuvered by al-Maliki, who kept the premier’s post after cobbling together key support from Shiite parties.

For over a year now, al-Maliki has effectively controlled the Interior and Defense Ministries, which oversee the police and military, while conflicts between Sunni and Shiite politicians have delayed the appointment of permanent ministers.

The dispute underlines how the U.S. is leaving behind an Iraq still riven by sectarian division. The United States completed its withdrawal from the country, with the last troops crossing the border into neighboring Kuwait early Sunday. Since the 2003 U.S.-led invasion that toppled Saddam Hussein and his Sunni-dominated Baath party regime, the Sunni minority has constantly complained of attempts by the Shiite majority to sideline them.

Al-Mutlaq warned that Iraqiya could take a further step if its demands are not met — pulling its seven ministers out of al-Maliki’s coalition government.

In a statement issued Saturday, Iraiqya bloc criticized the “unjustified” random arrests conducted by the government’s security forces against Sunni areas.

The boycott decision came as the parliament is preparing to discuss a series of important laws such as oil and gas law and the budget.

Link

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/middle-east/iraqs-powerful-sunni-backed-bloc-suspends-participation-in-parliament-to-protest-government/2011/12/18/gIQAFZB31O_story.html?wprss=rss_world

I thought by seeing past articles that the HCL was NOT really an issue anymore because if their were not agreements made regarding

this, then it would convert back to the 2007 law at the end of this year. Am I misunderstanding that belief??? Can someone please help with this thought?

i think that the main reason allawi backed off was in the hopes the u s troops might stay { i m o } u.s. officials might have asked him too back off ---or better yet he was behind the recent attack aginst mliki the bomb attack that is,,, now all we need is that sadr dude too get back into the game ,,,,, -----> and a nite raid or three from the iranian and turkey militias that have been storming across the boarders in the last couple years,,,, when is this dang election coming -------???

"The Iraqiya bloc narrowly won the most seats in last year’s parliamentary election, but Allawi was outmaneuvered by al-Maliki, who kept the premier’s post after cobbling together key support from Shiite parties.

For over a year now, al-Maliki has effectively controlled the Interior and Defense Ministries, which oversee the police and military, while conflicts between Sunni and Shiite politicians have delayed the appointment of permanent ministers.

The dispute underlines how the U.S. is leaving behind an Iraq still riven by sectarian division."

Read more:

When my nephew came home from his second tour in Iraq, I asked him, "What's the answer for Iraq?" He said, "There is no answer. As soon as all the American troops have left, they will go back to fighting among themselves and killing one another just like they've done for thousands of years. There just is no answer."

My prayer is that now they have been given a fledgling democracy, they'll actually try to bind together for the good of the whole country. I don't think I can believe it until I actually see it. Maybe this means I don't have faith in their ability to do that. But I do believe in the power of prayer.

• Upvote 2

The Iraqis are sitting, literally, a once in a century opportunity for greatness. Are century old grievances more important than what is in front of them today? Apparently so.

Do they realize the world's most prolific and wealthy investors are watching them under a microscope? They were invaded once, they can be invaded, and taken over, next time. The hell with democracy. There are entities that want what they are standing on, and if they think they can ward off the financial powers-that-be, their tribal asses are mistaken.

I wonder if this opportunity were in the face of the Somalians, what they would do? I believe they would find grace and gratitude, and if they had our support, as well as the rest of the world, there would be peace in a very, very rich country.

Sometimes I wonder why opportunities or disadvantages find their way into our lives, or others. Did you ever wonder why Middle Eastern people were all placed in a part of the world that is so rich, but yet fight and hate like no others for so long? Is it God's test of their true free will? Do Christians ever wonder why Jesus was born in the that part of the world? Why isn't Jesus from Norway? And why didn't we just give Nebraska to the Jews after World War II?

Edited by Carrello
  • Upvote 1

It's islam that divides them! The idea that it's a religion of peace is foreign to most muslims. All they have ever seen for centuries is death and violence! They are what we were in the dark ages, ignorant and ruled by tyrants!

It may take centuries for the sunnis and shiites to make amends, as it did the west, to overcome the hatred between catholics and protestants! We're not done either in some peoples hearts

It will take bold men with new ideas to bring them together. Lets hope they can start that process by following through with democratic reforms and truly believing in rule of law. It's their only hope.

Barring that, I still think, even under a totalitarian regime, we'll see a significant revalue of the Iraq currency. The rest of the arab gulf states are dictatorships, (they call them kings :lol: ) and their currencies are valuable, their people rich, and they trade their oil openly on the world market. One way or the other, Iraqi oil will be exploited!

• Upvote 3

I have said this many times & once again will say it again

Iraq will never emerge from chapter 7 until the GOI can work together.

How far away this will be will determine the future of the Iraqi citizens.

The UN will never take Iraq seriously until the little children that fight in the playground over a soccer ball learn that 2 teams that play together have a far better sporting chance of winning

Sadly the Iraqi people cast their votes & the real winner lost by default & once again we now see in house fighting over spilt milk.

• Upvote 2

It's islam that divides them! The idea that it's a religion of peace is foreign to most muslims. All they have ever seen for centuries is death and violence! They are what we were in the dark ages, ignorant and ruled by tyrants!

It may take centuries for the sunnis and shiites to make amends, as it did the west, to overcome the hatred between catholics and protestants! We're not done either in some peoples hearts

It will take bold men with new ideas to bring them together. Lets hope they can start that process by following through with democratic reforms and truly believing in rule of law. It's their only hope.

Barring that, I still think, even under a totalitarian regime, we'll see a significant revalue of the Iraq currency. The rest of the arab gulf states are dictatorships, (they call them kings :lol: ) and their currencies are valuable, their people rich, and they trade their oil openly on the world market. One way or the other, Iraqi oil will be exploited!

Spot ON! It is their religion. Notice that everyone dies a martyr? Everyone! So everyone dies for religion? This is so weired. One thing they don't realize is that God does not need them to take care of the sinners/infidels. He's God! And the Quran/Koran is explicit about muslim brotherhood. Their all sacrilegious. They lie to each other and that is not permitted.

It is only permitted to non muslims in order to push your agenda. Do you remember what Gaddafi was saying as they pulled him and dragged him out of the hole? This is not permitted in islam, ganging up on him and dragging threw the streets. So apparently many are hypocritical. Their not all that religious, rather sitting on the fence. Many young muslims that are taught from extremist and sects, tends to end up dividing them. Yep, just like the Catholics & Christians. All a matter of interpretation.

• Upvote 1

Ishmael was Abraham's first-born son. This is the muslim's claim to ligitimacy. Isaac was Abraham's second-born son, but God chose him to create the Jewish nation and God claimed them as His people, making His covenant with them. Christianity grew out of the Jewish nation after Jesus was born and brought His message to the Hebrew/Jewish people.

God spoke to Hagar, an Egyptian, in the desert. She was the mother of Ishmael, and the slave girl of Sarai, the mother of Isaac. Sarai became jealous of Hagar, who was very beautiful, and treated her badly. An Angel of the Lord said to Hagar: "I will make your descendants (the Arab people) too many to be counted. . . .You are with child and will bear a son. You shall name him Ishmael because the Lord heard of your ill-treatment. He shall be like the wild ass, his hand against every man and every man's hand against him;and he shall live at odds with all his kinsmen."

Time and again, it seems God chooses the second-born. God chose Adam's second-born son, favoring him over the first-born, and Cain's jealousy of Abel led to the first murder. God chose Abraham's second-born, Isaac, and He chose Isaac's second-son, Jacob, leaving Esau to join his uncle Ishmael and his people. Why would God favor the second-born? We don't know. It was just God's pleasure to do so.

And the battles and antagonism and jealousies that have come from that have been set for eons. Man can try to bring peace, which our troops and our country have tried to do. Now we can only sit back and watch how they work out their future. The Arab countries can have and are able to make peace, but unfortunately it seems to take a strong/dictator to rein in the violence and bickering.

I have worked in several hospitals with muslim nurses and doctors. The ones I have had the pleasure of forming friendships with have been loving, kind, generous people, not at all like what we see played out in the Middle East by radicals. I really liked them, and I felt they liked me. So peace and friendship is possible. I've lived it out. I respected their faith, but never backed away from my own. Only at the final judgment will it all be sorted out.

Sorry to be so long-winded. Just a history lesson today.

cdg

• Upvote 1

IMO, I really don't think Allawi will be there for long. He has been on this ride before, but now the "who is who" knows about him and his actions that he has taken

in the past. Allawi folder must be pretty big, due to his secrets with the CIA, and now the car bomb was a body grad or driver (sorry forgot) from Allawis assistant's

that he employes. I'm shocked that he is back because almost every official knows all his tricks that he pulled, and now well who really knows what will go down.

This does not make sense to me, but this is Iraq! More waiting time, due to Allawi. <_<

Spot ON! It is their religion. Notice that everyone dies a martyr? Everyone! So everyone dies for religion? This is so weired. One thing they don't realize is that God does not need them to take care of the sinners/infidels. He's God! And the Quran/Koran is explicit about muslim brotherhood. Their all sacrilegious. They lie to each other and that is not permitted.

It is only permitted to non muslims in order to push your agenda. Do you remember what Gaddafi was saying as they pulled him and dragged him out of the hole? This is not permitted in islam, ganging up on him and dragging threw the streets. So apparently many are hypocritical. Their not all that religious, rather sitting on the fence. Many young muslims that are taught from extremist and sects, tends to end up dividing them. Yep, just like the Catholics & Christians. All a matter of interpretation.

Reminds me of seeing the murdering gangsters in the movies that have big Catholic crosses hanging around their necks...prostitutes with crosses...it all reeks of false religion.