Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

US Defense Secretary rebukes Maliki for inaction

* US Defense Secretary rebukes Maliki for inaction

April 8th, 2011 12:57 pm · Posted in NEWS (Iraq & World Currency) Written by aliraqnews1

Thursday, 07 April 2011

Baghdad, INN- US Defense Secretary Robert Gates harshly reprimanded Prime Minister Nouri Al Maliki for his inaction to settle critical issues, sources close Maliki told INN Thursday. According to the sources, who asked not to be named, Gates, currently on a visit to Iraq, summoned Maliki for a private meeting at the US embassy in Baghdad on Thursday and Maliki left his office in a hurry without taking any one with him.

The Prime Minister was harshly rebuked by Gates because of his inaction to settle standing issues making him a heavy burden on the US occupation forces in Iraq, said the sources. This was clear on Maliki’s face when came out of the meeting wiping sweat on his face with a handkerchief from his pocket, they added noting that Maliki did not say any word, he was just listening to Gates’s words. The Prime Minister left the embassy with a different complexion, they said.

The US administration is very much worried about Maliki’s recent remarks when he talked about withdrawing confidence from the current fragile coalition government and plans to work for forming a new government with a sectarian political majority. According to the same sources, Maliki also on Thursday received a phone call from US Vice President Joe Biden expressing Washington worries about Maliki’s plans and his inability to address critical issues in the country.

LETS SEE WHAT CHANGES IN THE NEXT COUPLE OF DAYS------SOMETHING DRASTIC I BET----THE CLOCKS TICKING

• Upvote 1

Alot of us knew this was bound to happen sooner or later...I/we just felt it coming. Its like come on man, how much longer could we had let Maliki continue sitting on his arse and do absolutely nothing? Gates sounds like my old man(may he rest in heaven) telling me to get my arse to work as a kid growing up....lol. Way to gooooo Robert Gates! :twothumbs: Thanks for the post Zab!

• Upvote 1

Sounds to me like our people are tired of the total crap Maliki and the rest of the "big boys" are dishing out. I mean, did you see the article where a group in the Iraqi army had an altercation with a group of Iranians and ended up bringing stones and sticks to a gun fight? HELLO! And this is what their defense is like?!!! Go get him, Gates!!!! Kick his backside!

• Upvote 2

Anything's possible, but if he did do it....I say GOOD.

I hope it did happen but the way it was written seems fishy. How do they know Maliki said nothing and just listened to Gates. They weren't in the room. The whole sweat on his brow thing. I don't know. Seems like someone wrote an article on what they wished happened.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Perhaps this is the way it happened because it seems that Gates and Maliki have some history. Gates may have concluded that Maliki's lack of abilities have caused American troops deaths, IMO.

Anyway, this article from 2007 is somewhat enlightening.

April 25, 2007 Gates Not Enthusiastic About Al-Maliki

By Associated Press

BERLIN -- Defense Secretary Robert Gates on Wednesday offered a less-than-enthusiastic endorsement of Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki, days after expressing impatience with the Iraqi leader during his third visit to Iraq since becoming the Pentagon chief.

At a news conference here, Gates was asked about the viability of the new U.S. approach to establishing security in Baghdad and his assessment of al-Maliki's ability to achieve a political reconciliation among the Sunnis, Shiites and Kurds.

"This government (of al-Maliki's) is the one we have to work with," Gates said, noting that al-Maliki is the elected leader of the Iraqi government.

But Gates also said that if he did not believe al-Maliki could be successful he would not have recently urged Egypt, Jordan and other governments in the region to support al-Maliki.

Gates was visiting Germany at the close of a three-day trip to promote an expansion of the U.S. missile defense system despite Moscow objections. He also stopped in Moscow and Warsaw.

The defense secretary visited Iraq last week and held talks with al-Maliki and others.

Gates stressed the limits of U.S. patience, saying the Bush administration will weigh Iraq's political progress in deciding this summer whether to bring home some of the U.S. troops.

The U.S. troop buildup is still under way, with mixed results on security and an upward trend in U.S. combat deaths in Baghdad. A series of major attacks in Baghdad, killing hundreds of Iraqi civilians, and the double suicide attack that killed nine U.S. soldiers this week, have undermined what U.S. military officials had seen as early signs of reduced sectarian violence.

Link

Link

This is the link to the Gates article.

Edited by Carrello