Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Whose the more talented guitarist? Mark Knopfler or Waylon Jennings

Tiffany23

44 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the better picker?

• Waylon Jennings
    • Mark Knopfler

aaal very fine players, but don't forget Brent Mason, Albert Lee and of course we cant forget that Rhet Vogert long time picker with Merele Haggard who is a great picker himself, and now making new records with plenty of mad guitar picking we have Brad Paisley.

Brent Mason is awesome. He's the most recorded guitarist in history. I had a master class with him last July in Nashville. Outstanding!!! :D

Don't forget this guy... :D:D:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfKnn2iYP70

• Upvote 3

Settle a bet? I hope your money is on mark Knopfler. Between the two videos The one with Knopfler is better. I think he is a better guitarist two, but to be fair I tried to look for a better video on you tube. Check out the double neck in the background. I thought Gibson was the first one to do that. I thought Jimmy Page. Was the first one to play one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqCRwu2aDEs&feature=related

To many great guitarist to list a favorite. However between these two Knopfler is a better player on many levels.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Well, you did it to me ... I could not vote !!!!!

A lot of great guitarists have been mentioned here but given only those two from which to choose ... I couldn't !!!

This is disastrous for me. I am a very opinionated person. Even going by initial reaction I can come up with an opinion and find ways to support it. But here, you have stumped me. And I don't get stopped on something like this very often.

First of all define talent.

Knopfler, in my opinion, is the more talented if you are speaking simply of the mechanics of playing, the grace of his fingering and the way he makes it look like it takes no thought even to produce such note perfect results. He is very talented.

Jennings, however, and also just my opinion, though he does not have the same degree of technique perfection, has something else that surpasses Knopfler ... I think I would have to call it heart. Even the simplest work by Jennings pulls at you. Part of it may be that he writes or arranges work that he can do, technically, and according to what is in his heart. It shows in his own song writing too. So for that he is very talented.

But back to Knopfler, whose work I have listened to for years and enjoyed very much, he seems to expend no energy at all in creating perfect balance between himself and his instrument.

Whereas Jennings seems to grab his guitar and play it like a partner with whom he is dancing some intricate dance.

I cannot figure out which between the two could get my vote, so I didn't.

Now, if we were into the classical guitar scene, I think Ypres would get my vote. But we aren't.

*sigh* Though I am frustrated at not being able to vote on this, I am thankful that you have brought this to us as a diversion, and entertainment. :)

smee2

• Upvote 2

WOW! I had no idea that I'd get this type of response...I think I've learned more from the feedback here than any other topic I've ever posted. THANK YOU ALL for enlightening me to all the AWESOME pickers out there. In fact, I spent over 3 hrs listening to those postings and/or looking up those whom (yes I boo booed on the whose/who's) you suggested. I was looking them up after work and my room mate actually called me up at 5 am this morning looking for me, I was so engrossed.

Smee..thank you for the "on the fence analysis", I think you pretty much summed up my thoughts as well. I plan on going back to each of you over time and providing feedback to those pickers you suggested. All but one was simply incredible. The one I did not like was Orianthi...and I'm only saying this in a public form, because Coors and Caz are my buddies.

Guys, you honestly like that crap? It sounded like what noise my cat would make if it got caught in the dryer. It rattled every tooth in my head. In fact, the only way I could enjoy the video is to mute the sound and watch the girl! :P

Loved the video of the young Waylon.....I was actually kind of shocked, he was very handsome...gave the man in black a run for his money!

• Upvote 3