Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

New Iraqi labor law will take effect in May: lawmaker

2024-04-21 07:42
Font

Shafaq News/ Iraq's new labor and retirement law will take in effect in May, a lawmaker revealed on Sunday, saying it also benefits private sector workers and freelancers.

"Effective May 1st, 2024, the law will provide social security coverage and retirement benefits to employees in companies, factories, and even freelancers who choose to opt-in," said Lawmaker Amir al-Maamouri, a member of the parliament's labor committee.

"The government will contribute to the retirement fund alongside employee deductions, offering benefits potentially exceeding those available in the public sector," he said. "This expansion of social safety nets aims to improve working conditions and provide financial security for a broader segment of the Iraqi workforce."

On December 3, 2023, Iraqi Prime Minister Mohammed Shia al-Sudani announced that the Labor and Social Security Law for workers in the private sector will be put into action after the parliament votes on it in May, in a step described by the government as essential within the economic reforms it has promised and to ensure the rights of workers in this sector.

• Thanks 3
  • Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, currenzcraze said:

Effective May 1st, 2024, the law will provide social security coverage and retirement benefits to employees in companies, factories, and even freelancers who choose to opt-in

May 1st. Just one more thing that screams that a new rate is coming. “SOON” !!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 8th ID said:

May 1st. Just one more thing that screams that a new rate is coming. “SOON” !!

i always remember this being funded in old supplementary budget and according to articles would be based on new rate...so this a great sign! agree 100%

• Upvote 5

11 minutes ago, screwball said:

rate change before may 1st?

That is the way I read it as well. Even this quote from December,

“On December 3, 2023, Iraqi Prime Minister Mohammed Shia al-Sudani announced that the Labor and Social Security Law for workers in the private sector will be put into action after the parliament votes on it in May, in a step described by the government as essential within the economic reforms it has promised and to ensure the rights of workers in this sector.”

Sudani said they would be voting on it in May back in December. If my memory serves me right, they have already voted on this. It is a lawmaker on the labor committee that is saying it will be effective May 1st. So that gives me my only hesitation on it. I do like the news though. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3