Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Iranian official calls for negotiations with Washington in Iraq

yota691

Sorry Pitch but this time I have to disagree with you.  The whole Yemeni bloodbath is another attempt by the Saudis to control the ME.   Remember the whole ISIS invasion schtick was a Sunni run invasion funded by the Saudi Sunnis.  The whole Al Qaeda horror was a Sunni staffed and Saudi funded program.  The 9-11 assault on the US was staffed and funded again by the Saudi Sunnis.  The biggest horrors of the last 20 years in the ME are ALL Saudi supported crisis.  Sure Iran are a bunch of nut-jobs and we need to stop them.  But this Israeli arschkissing approach that blames everything on just the Iranians is off by at least 50%.  

Edited by pokebu
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Pitcher said:

Read the last sentence,181 missiles fired at SA by Iranian backed Houthi militia.  Where is the outrage of the UN, the US media, the EU.  There is no doubt in my mind that Iran is trying to start a ME war.  The question is Why?  I have my suspicions but I’ll leave that for the swamp forum.  

Why would Iran want to start a new ME war?  Well, thanks to the Great Satan and our new sanctions, the US is making Iran spend all of that 1.35 trillion dollars in cash, in various national currencies. Trump is breaking up the NWO Deep State branch estblished here in the US. The NWO Deep State branch that  supported Iran an a unstable ME. Since they are faltering, and have minimal options they can still get the sympathy of the uninformed masses in Iran and the ME.  and cash if they attack us/US. Possibly activating the sleeper cells they now have inside the US from those waves of refugees that went into the west escaping all that mess in Syria. The under cover  JIHAD ones. 

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, Pitcher said:

I agree Chuck but I have a feeling it might be like Europe wanting to kick Germany’s butt in 1939. Wanting to and having the ability to do so against a superior force with modern missiles and armor could be tough.  The Iranians are really pushing it in the ME.  They are in Iraq, Yemen Syria and Lebanon.  Their militias are creating mayhem and if they are not stopped soon there is going to be a big big mess in the ME.  The UN and the bigger powers will need to intervene to put them in their place. 181 missiles fired at SA. That is an act of war.  What do you think would happen if Mexico Cuba or Canada fired 181 missiles at the US?

We be looking at 3 New territories. 

• Haha 1

Good points Pokebu and I have no problem with anyone disagreeing with anything I write.  The Sunni and Shite hatred toward one another is real and I’ve heard it first hand from my friends in Iran and SA.  I don’t know who started the skirmishes and how far back in history you have to go to see where the division and hatred started but Iran has stated numerous times that they want to take over the ME to form a new Persian Empire.  My friends in Iran consider themselves Persian not Iranian.  Here are a few reasons for my problems with Iran

1979 the Mullahs take over Iran and take over our embassy and hold our people hostage for over 400 days

In 1883 the Iranian backed Hezbollah take over Lebanon and blow up a Marine compound killing 220 

Many times Hezbollah has fired rockets at Israel from Syria

Iran is in Syria and Yemen. Why?  

What ME country is building nuclear capabilities and the missiles to deliver their weapons.  

What country has basically taken over Iraqi politics and is knee deep in causing trouble there.  

What country has threatened US military bases in the ME and has claimed to have sleeper cells in the US ready to attack, 

i could go on and on but you get the point.  I’m not saying SA is an angel and I agree with many of your points that SA Sunni’s have funded many bad things around the ME ( probably some with USA CIA backing).  Who really know Pokebu, things aren’t always as they appear and many of the news articles are written to funnel group think to meet an agenda.  I read 3 Iranian news outlets and their stories are really slanted toward hatred of the Great Satan and wiping out Israel.  I also read 2 SA papers and I don’t see anything like that.  

Feel free to disagree with anything I write, I’m no authority on the ME, but I do read a lot and have friends In SA, Iran and Israel. I get a lot of my opinions from these folks.  I will tell you one thing that all are in agreement, they hate war and all they want to do is work, raise their kids and live in peace.  When Religion instructs you to commit atrocities like what we saw in Iraq by ISIS that is a complete aberration of what any higher authority would want.  

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 3

Iranian parliament begins questioning of finance minister

08:59 - 26/08/2018

%D8%A8%D8%B1%D9%84%D9%85%D8%A7%D9%86-%D8

Information / Baghdad ..

On Sunday morning, a session of questioning of the Minister of Economic and Financial Affairs of the Iranian parliament headed by its president, Ali Larijani.

The request to question Minister of Economic and Financial Affairs Massoud Karabasian with the signature of 33 deputies was handed over to the presidential body of the council on Aug. 19.

According to the Iranian "Al Alam" channel, one of the most important axes of questioning the Minister of Economic and Financial Affairs is the inefficiency of the Ministry in preparing and implementing economic and financial policies and its inefficiency in managing the economy and not implementing its legal tasks in the banking sphere and not implementing the plans announced by the Minister .

According to articles 112 and 223 of the Parliament's internal law, the duration of the interrogation procedure is five hours for each minister, giving two hours to the interviewees to explain their views on the questioning of the minister. Ending / 25

http://www.almaalomah.com/2018/08/26/338134/

• Upvote 1

The Iranian parliament discards confidence from the Minister of Economy and Finance

12:16 - 26/08/2018

%D8%A8%D8%B1%D9%84%D9%85%D8%A7%D9%86-%D8

Information / Baghdad ..

The Iranian Islamic Consultative Assembly (parliament) on Sunday blocked confidence in the minister of economy and finance Massoud Karbassian.

According to Iranian media, 137 deputies voted in favor of the no-confidence motion, while 121 deputies opposed and two deputies abstained.

Kerbasian took the stand in an open session chaired by Shura Council Speaker Ali Larijani this morning and responded to the interrogation lines presented, while the majority of parliamentarians were not satisfied with his clarifications. Ending / 25

http://www.almaalomah.com/2018/08/26/338215/

• Upvote 1

The economic crisis and the collapse of the currency oust the second minister in the Iranian government

Rohani in front of parliament Tuesday

arabic

26/08/2018 - 15:23

The economic crisis and the collapse of the currency oust the second minister in the Iranian government

In a new blow to the government of President Hassan Rowhani, who is struggling to cope with a crippling economic crisis, the Iranian parliament (parliament) on Sunday voted to withhold confidence from Economy and Finance Minister Massoud Karbassian after a hearing.

During the vote, 137 deputies cast their votes to withdraw confidence from the minister, while 121 expressed their support for him, with two abstaining.

On August 8, parliament dismissed Labor Minister Ali Rabi'i from office after a growing outcry in the Iranian street over the government's handling of the economic crisis exacerbated by the re-imposition of economic sanctions on Tehran.

The Shura (parliament) is preparing to hear Iranian President Hassan Rowhani's answers on some questions that concern parliamentarians on Tuesday, Iranian media reported.

The economy is facing a severe crisis recently after the Iranian riyal has lost about half of its value since April, following the announcement of new US sanctions, mainly affected by strong demand for the dollar from Iranians seeking to protect their savings.

http://www.basnews.com/index.php/ar/news/middle-east/461262

• Upvote 2

US policy recommends Iraq: Do not abide by sanctions on Iran .. And you solution

US report advises Iraq: Do not abide by sanctions on Iran .. Here is the solution

Twilight News    

3 hours ago

US economic sanctions against Iran could harm Iraq if it decides to abide by it, putting it in a critical position.
"Iraq shares a 1485-kilometer border with Iran and relies on its eastern neighbor for almost everything, from gas supplies to electricity to water to food, all due to the US invasion of the country last year," said a report by Politico. 2003 ". 
"When the international community imposed sanctions on Iraq during the crisis in Kuwait, neighboring Jordan was exempted by the United Nations from the sanctions that prevent it from buying Iraqi oil," the newspaper said in a report, referring to the possibility of exempting Iraq from sanctions against Iran. ).
"If Iraq is not exempted, any violation by it will expose it to US sanctions, which will push the country towards Iran. Even Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi, who is in favor of US resolutions, can not afford sanctions," the report said. 
Despite all these difficulties, Iraq has no choice but to violate US sanctions, for reasons including Iraq needing refined Iranian gas. In July 2017, Iraq's electricity minister said Iraq would depend on gas. To generate electricity for at least seven years before it can produce natural gas on its own, as the gas imported by Iraq from Iran contributes about 20% of the actual production of electricity in Iraq).
The report said that despite Gulf countries' objections to Iraq's economic dependence on Iran, the Gulf governments did little to help. The Kuwait-sponsored reconstruction conference in February did not produce practical results, Despite pledges to finance Iraq in millions of dollars). 

The volume of trade exchange between Iraq and Iran to about ten billion dollars annually, and the Iraqi market is full of various goods and Iranian goods. In addition, large numbers of Iranian citizens visit Iraq annually, as is the case for Iraqis, many of whom travel annually to Iran to visit religious

shrines, tourism, trade and medical treatment.

http://www.shafaaq.com/ar/Ar_NewsReader/5751d160-60cb-4d7b-9a75-8aadc796144d 

Keywords: 
  • Upvote 1

Nasrallah: Washington financed a preacher in Iraq and who depends on the Americans is the most important

18:11 - 26/08/2018

%D9%86%D8%B5%D8%B1-%D8%A7%D9%84%D9%84%D9

Information / follow-up ...

The Secretary-General of Hezbollah, Mr. Hassan Nasrallah, on Sunday, that Washington financed the gangs "advocating" criminal in Iraq and Syria, noting that the "Chamber of Kings" in Jordan is the leading terrorist groups in southern Syria.

"In everything that happened with the region, when the Americans talk about their defeat, they are lying, but they were working to prolong the life of the elements of the criminal organization," Nasrallah said in a speech during the celebration of the Second Liberation Day.

He added that "the Americans funded the gangs" calling "criminal in Iraq and Syria, and depend on them is more important," noting that "the room (Almok) in Jordan, which was leading terrorist groups in southern Syria."

"Every time he was besieged in an area in Syria, US helicopters would come to rescue his men," Nasrallah said.

The Secretary-General of Hezbollah, that "the defeat of criminals in Syria is calling for their murderer and not the Americans," explaining that "there is in this world allies of America and dealing with its allies as tools only."

http://www.almaalomah.com/2018/08/26/338365/

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Date of release: 2018/8/27 11:14 • 117 times read
International Justice considers Iranian case to lift US sanctions
(International: Al Furat News) The International Court of Justice, on Monday, in a lawsuit filed by Iran to lift the sanctions imposed by the administration of US President Donald Trump on Tehran.
Reuters reported in a report today that the Iranian lawsuit states that US sanctions, which are harming Iran's already weak economy, represent a breach of a little-known friendship treaty between the two countries in 1955. 
"There was no public response until Now from Washington, which will respond officially by oral arguments on Tuesday. " 
US lawyers are expected to argue that the International Court of Justice should not have jurisdiction over the dispute, that the treaty of friendship no longer applies, and that sanctions imposed by Washington on Tehran are in no way a breach. 
The report noted that the oral hearings, which Iran had originally requested for an interim ruling, would continue within four days, with a decision to be made within a month.
In May, US President Donald Trump announced his country's withdrawal from the 2015 nuclear agreement between Iran and the major powers, as it contains flaws, and then announced unilateral plans to re-impose sanctions on Iran.
  • Upvote 3

14:01
Last updated
The time now is 02:08 PM
Watch

Follow-up / tomorrow Press:
Iran's Revolutionary Guard commander Ali Reza Tenkseiri on Monday confirmed the Islamic Republic's full control of the Persian Gulf and strategic Strait of Hormuz.
Tenkiri refused to accuse Tehran of meddling in the affairs of other countries, accusing the "enemies" of exploiting these allegations to justify their presence in the region and selling weapons, thereby undermining regional security.

Tenxeri stressed the readiness of the Revolutionary Guard naval forces more than ever to defend the interests of the country in the Gulf.
Tenskiri stressed that the presence of Iran is continuing day and night in the Arabian Gulf, pledging to protect the maritime navigation of the neighboring Islamic countries as well.
"We have repeatedly stressed that we extend the hand of brotherhood to you, and we are ready to ensure the security of the Gulf, and there is no need for foreign presence, such as the United States and others, in the region," he said.
  • Upvote 1

Ibrahim Al-Obaidi Monday, 27 August 2018 02:48 PM

Iran is crying in the International Court of Justice: Save us from US sanctions .. Tehran collapses

international justice Court

Observers: Tehran's complaint in the United Nations has no value and no avail .. But revealed her knees and break his bones

The mullahs know well that he is losing in his battle against Washington. And that the new US sanctions on him will lead to the collapse of his economy completely. Especially with the withdrawal of French and German companies and other Tehran fear of sanctions.

In the search for a way out of his crisis, the mullahs went to the American sanctions to the International Court of Justice to ask them to stop the implementation of US sanctions and consideration, which has caused ridicule millions around the world. US decisions are sovereign. There is no entry into the International Court of Justice or elsewhere. But more importantly, the crying of the mullahs reveals his nakedness and the depth of his crisis. 
 The International Court of Justice (ICJ) on Monday heard a lawsuit filed by Iran to lift the sanctions imposed by the US administration of President Donald Trump on Tehran. In a case raised in July, where Iran calls on the 15 permanent judges in the International Court of Justice, the main judicial body of the United Nations, to stop the re-imposition of US sanctions announced by President Donald Trump three weeks ago.

The US president also announced in May the withdrawal of his country from the nuclear agreement between Iran and the international powers in 2015. Iran is committed to the agreement not to seek to acquire a nuclear weapon. The US withdrawal led to the re-imposition of harsh economic sanctions on Tehran.

https://www.thebaghdadpost.com/ar/Story/118994/إيران-تبكي-في-محكمة-العدل-الدولية-أنقذونا-من-العقوبات-الأمريكية-طهران-تنهار

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

EU seeks funding solutions to avoid US sanctions

EU seeks funding solutions to avoid US sanctions

August 27, 2018 3:27 PM
Direct : Germany and France that they are working to find financing solutions to avoid the vulnerability of US sanctions against countries such as Iran , including a possible role for the central bank announced.

French Finance Minister Bruno Lee-Meyer said in a meeting with the Press Syndicate on Monday that his country and Germany were determined to work on an independent European financing tool that would avoid being secondary victims of US sanctions.

He said he wanted Europe to be an independent, independent and independent continent. "This means that Europe has to have independent financing tools that do not exist today."

The United States began this month to implement economic sanctions against Iran, and other sanctions are to be imposed on companies and countries that import crude oil from Tehran in November.

Washington has also begun to impose sanctions against Moscow over the poisoning of a Russian spy and his daughter with nerve gas in Britain in March.

The use of the EIB, which is exposed to the United States as a financial channel, will be "very complicated," the French official said, noting that the German and French governments are talking to the central banks responsible for their participation.

"If we want to build a truly independent tool, we must open all the options."

For his part, the German Foreign Minister said that the EU is working to protect economic ties with Iran and to keep the channels of payment open.

• Upvote 2

Germany urges SWIFT end to US payments dominance 

Germany’s foreign minister has reiterated calls for the EU to free itself from dependence on the US and adopting its own international payments channel is one way of doing that. But is he barking up the wrong money tree?

Euros, dollars and rials

Work on creating a European payment system independent of the dominant existing international system SWIFT has already begun, Germany's Foreign Minister Heiko Maas said at the opening of an ambassadors' conference at the foreign ministry in Berlin on Monday.

"We must increase Europe's autonomy and sovereignty in trade, economic and financial policies," he said. "It will not be easy, but we have already begun to do it."

Christopher Bovis, professor of international business law at the University of Hull in the UK, said that this was already happening. "The European Commission has been developing a system, a parallel system to SWIFT which will allow Iran to interface with European financial systems, European clearing systems, using the nominations supported and created by the European Investment Bank based on the euro," he told DW. 

Read moreIran asks top UN court to lift US sanctions

Maas speaking in Berlin on Monday (picture-alliance/dpa/B. von Jutrczenka)

In his address to the German ambassadors, Foreign Minister Heiko Maas revealed that the EU was working on proposals for alternative payment channels to SWIFT, under efforsts to save the Iran nuclear deal after Washington withdrew from it.

In May 2018, US President Donald Trump fulfilled an election campaign pledge to pull out of the 2015 deal that asks Iran to relinquish its nuclear enrichment program in exchange for freedom from sanctions.

Europe is one of Iran's top oil destinations and wants the nuclear deal to be retained and to continue buying Iranian crude.

Maas' comments follow a piece he wrote for the daily Handelsblatt last week on Germany's future strategy toward the US.

"It is high time to re-evaluate our partnership … Europeans must become a mainstay of the international order, a partner for all who are committed to this order," Maas wrote.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel backed Maas's call for unity and for a stronger role for the EU, but also expressed caution on plans to find a European alternative to SWIFT. Merkel acknowledged that US sanctions towards Iran had caused problems with regards to SWIFT, but added that "at the same time, we know that the SWIFT agreement is extremely important, especially on questions of terrorism financing."

The Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunication (SWIFT) is connected to over 10,000 banks, and every second major cross-border transfer goes through its messages.

Based in Belgium, SWIFT claims political neutrality, but has bowed to US influence in the past, blocking transactions to Cuba and Iran. In the wake of the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001, the Treasury Department used SWIFT data to gain insight into terrorist financing and protect EU citizens and their data. 

Unless it wins an exemption from sanctions, SWIFT will be required by the US to cut off targeted Iranian banks from its network by November 4 or face countermeasures against both its board members and the financial institutions that employ them.

Several European companies have already withdrawn from the country over fears of being subjected to US sanctions. French energy conglomerate Total pulled out from a partnership on the South Pars Iranian gas project after pressure from the US government. 

Read moreSiemens turns its back on Iran

Other European companies including Maersk and Peugeot have also withdrawn in recent weeks.

Alternatives

Some see the new development potentially opening possibilities for the crypto-currency market. The Iranian government this year did in fact switch to digital assets — despite previous attempts by Tehran itself to ban crypto trading — so it can trade with allied countries.

Mohammad Reza Pourebrahimi, Iran's Parliamentary Commission of Economic Affairs head, said Russia had agreed to use decentralized financial networks such as cryptocurrencies to transact with Iran.

But more old school methods are likely to prevail.

Academics Esfandyar Batmanghelidj and Axel Hellman have argued, for example, that during a previous Iranian SWIFT ban in 2012-16, several European banks were able to maintain their relationships with Iranian financial institutions by using "ad hoc messaging systems" and this could be revived.

The two academics posit a rise in the use of so-called gateway banks — which have access to the ECB's value payments system, Target2, and limited exposure to the US financial system — which would conduct euro transactions on behalf of buyers and sellers of Iranian oil. Instead of using SWIFT bank identifier codes to indicate account number, Batmanghelidj and Hellman point to the possibility of using IBAN numbers, a different international standard.

Iran
Iran 
US sanctions on Iran target Tehran's trade in gold and precious metals, block the sales of passenger jets, and restrict Iran's purchase of US dollars, among other punitive measures. The US is also planing to block Iran's key oil sales in the next tranche of sanctions, which is due to go into force in November. 

North Korea
North Korea 
Impovershed North Korea is under a UN-backed embargo, but Washington also maintains an extensive regime of sanctions on its own. For example, the US strictly bans exporting weapons to the pariah state. Also, the US uses its global clout to penalize non-US banks and companies who do business with Pyongyang. 

More trouble ahead

But some believe the real problems go far deeper than technology and logistics issues.

"At the moment, we are head-on on a collision course between the two continents, between the two economic systems. And the utilization of the financial regulatory environment including SWIFT, including payment and clearing system is used to promote the economic and diplomatic goals of the US. And the EU is responding quite successfully," Bovis said. 

German banks including the Bundesbank do business in the US and are dependent on access to US markets for refinancing.

Thorsten Benner, director of Berlin-based think tank Global Public Policy Institute told DW, that the US would "for sure seek to divide and pressure the EU" on this. "The EU developing an independent system making it immune from US sanctions, very much threatens key US interests in the perception o

f the Trump administration."

Furthermore, SWIFT's board is made up of 25 of the world's largest banks, including representatives from two US banks — Citigroup's Yawar Shah and J.P Morgan's Emma Loftus — which makes it unlikely Trump would ban any of the two US SWIFT banks from doing business.

"This will be a process that is highly unlikely to produce results in time to counteract US Iran sanctions. It´s a challenging if not impossible medium-term project," Benner believes. "For salvaging Iran deal, the EU will have to rely on China."

China can keep Iran afloat with increasing crude purchases and making sure that crude exports don't fall prey to US sanctions.

"China has the necessary independent system for this if it so chooses to use it," Benner said, adding that there was a certain irony in the fact that SWIFT was based in Europe — the yery same continent that was now forced to create an alternative system to it.

"But that's the direct effect of the US weaponization of interdependence and choke points such as SWIFT. The EU played along as long as it was in its interest and now it's biting back as secondary sanctions target EU and its key foreign policy interests," Benner concluded.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.dw.com/en/germany-urges-swift-end-to-us-payments-dominance/a-45242528

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

U.S. Congressman asks Trump to monitor activities of Qatari, Iranian gov'ts

There is no longer a difference between the Qatari and Iranian governments, as the distance between them has faded after the recent U.S. sanctions on Iran, becoming a one entity. As a result, U.S. President Donald Trump is required to monitor the activities of Tehran and Doha together.

This was the demand of Member of the U.S. House representing North Carolina Rep. Ted Budd, who serves on the Financial Services Committee and its Terrorism and Illicit Finance Subcommittee, saying that Hamdeen and the mullahs are two sides of the same terrorist coin.

Budd said the Trump administration should watch Qatar closely to prevent Iran from financing terrorism through Doha.

Image1_820182715107450920328.png

He wrote in an article on Fox News, "It is clear that Iran is promoting the expansion of military and terrorist activities across the Middle East. 

"Iran’s continued support of the Hezbollah terrorist organization with both financial and political assistance, as well as weapons and tactical training, deserves close examination. Western diplomats and Lebanese analysts estimate that Iranian financial support for Hezbollah averages around $100 million each year, sometimes reaching amounts closer to a quarter of a billion dollars.

"Additionally, through Iran’s support and through their own illicit financing and criminal networks, Hezbollah has become a dominant force and a direct source instability in the Middle East.

Image1_8201827151039670338542.png

"Hezbollah has been fighting in defense of Syrian President Bashar Assad. It has provided material support for designated terrorist organizations like Hamas and Palestinian Islamic Jihad. It has engaged in training and command operations for militia groups in Iraq. It has provided ballistic missiles and leadership to the Houthi insurgency in Yemen. In addition, there are reports of an increasing Hezbollah presence in North Africa.

"It’s of increasing concern that Iranian banks are moving their foreign exchange operations to theQatar National Bank. We know Iran’s access to foreign currencies is an essential part of the government’s funding and support for terrorism.

"Further, Iran has recently voiced its support for the Qatari government, strengthening our concerns with the activities of both governments.

"As our Treasury Department continues to bring back sanctions against Iran, the department should pay attention to these issues and keep a close watch over the actions of both the Qatari and Iranian governments, as well as Hezbollah’s illicit activities around the world.

Image1_8201827151232343037661.png

"Iran, Qatar and Hezbollah are responsible for the increase in terrorist-based activities across the Middle East, and we must impose harsh sanctions that directly limit the Iranian regime's access to finance. The sanctions against Iran will affect all major industries, thereby preventing the leadership from funding destabilizing activities in the Middle East and wider world."

Experts told The Baghdad Post that placing censorship on the activities of Hamdeen and the mullahs would contribute to the collapse of several terrorist networks funded by the two countries, including the Iranian Militia in Iraq and Syria, Hezbollah and Houthi militias.

They said that Tehran and Doha are homes for terrorism and support it, and that this must be taken into account by the international community.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

Iran's Strait of Hormuz control stokes tensions, could prompt US response

US Navy ship fires warning shots at IRGC vessel in Hormuz strait

A major shipping route located between Oman and Iran where nearly one-third of the world's sea-traded oil passes through daily may become a new flashpoint after a top Iranian Navy general said Monday that the country has taken full control of the Strait of Hormuz.
The head of the navy of Iran’s Revolutionary Guards, Gen. Alireza Tangsiri, said that Iran had full control of both the Persian Gulf itself and the Strait of Hormuz that leads into it, Reuters reported.
The strait, which at its narrowest point is 21 miles wide, has shipping lanes that are 2 miles wide in each direction and is the only sea passage from many of the world's largest oil producers to the Indian Ocean.
"It's a very contentious area," retired Lt. Col. Bob Maginnis told Fox News' "Your World with Neil Cavuto" earlier this month.
The Strait of Hormuz is where most of the oil from Saudi Arabia passes through, according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration. The Saudis have constructed pipelines to bypass the strait, but a majority of crude oil is shipped by sea, meaning that any action by Iran to halt shipping may impact consumers across the world.
"The blockage of the Strait of Hormuz, even temporarily, could lead to substantial increases in total energy costs," the agency said in a 2012 report.
At the beginning of August, Iran began a large-scale exercise in the Strait of Hormuz involving more than 50 small boats, practicing “swarming” operations that could potentially shut down the vital waterway if ever deployed for real. The drill came after President Trump pulled the U.S. out of a landmark nuclear accord with Iran and leaders of both countries exchanged fiery rhetoric.
The country routinely operates small boats in the Strait of Hormuz and the surrounding area, and has often threatened to shut down the highly traveled waterway. A check of conditions on MaritimeTraffic.com on Monday showed that conditions appeared to be normal, with heavy maritime traffic through the strait.
  • Thanks 2

World Court hears Iran lawsuit to have US sanctions lifted

U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo

Iranian lawyers asked the International Court of Justice on Monday to order the United States to lift sanctions imposed by the Trump administration against Tehran, but Washington described the suit as meritless.
At the start of a week of hearings in The Hague, the court’s president asked the United States to respect the outcome of the case that Iran filed in July. During their decades of animosity, both countries have ignored some rulings at the court.
Tehran’s suit says the US sanctions, which are damaging the already weak Iranian economy, violate terms of a little-known friendship treaty between the two countries.
“The US is publicly propagating a policy intended to damage as severely as possible Iran’s economy and Iranian national companies, and therefore inevitably Iranian nationals,” said Mohsen Mohebi, representing Iran. “This policy is plainly in violation of the 1955 Treaty of Amity.”
He said Iran had sought a diplomatic solution to the countries’ dispute but was rejected.
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo described Iran’s suit as “an attempt to interfere with the sovereign rights of the United States to take lawful actions, including re-imposition of sanctions, which are necessary to protect our national security”.
“We will vigorously defend against Iran’s meritless claims this week in The Hague,” he said in a statement.
A ruling is expected within a month, though no date has been set.
The ICJ is the United Nations tribunal for resolving international disputes. Its rulings are binding, but it has no power to enforce them.

• Upvote 2

Iran takes control of major oil shipping route warning US: You DON'T belong here

OIL prices could soar after Iran claimed it had taken full control of the Persian Gulf, a key oil shipping route in the Middle East.

PUBLISHED: 00:00, Tue, Aug 28, 2018 | UPDATED: 00:02, Tue, Aug 28, 2

John Bolton: The US will put maximum pressure on IraIn a provocative statement, Tehran announced it had "full supervision over the Persian Gulf" and said the US navy does not belong there.

The Iranian regime has repeatedly threatened to take military action in the Gulf to block other countries' oil exports.

Experts fear such a move would create major supply disruptions and drive up the price of oil significantly.

Iran is furious at US president Donald Trump for imposing economic sanctions intended to halt its sales of crude.

We can ensure the security of the Persian Gulf

General Alireza Tangsiri

Washington maintains a fleet in the Gulf that protects oil shipping routes.

General Alireza Tangsiri, of the navy of Iran's Revolutionary Guards, said: "We can ensure the security of the Persian Gulf.

"There is no need for the presence of aliens like the United States and the countries whose home is not in here.

"All the carriers and military and non-military ships will be controlled and there is full supervision over the Persian Gulf.

Donald Trump and Hassan Rouhani

Tensions are soaring between Iran and the United States (Image: GETTY)

General view of Port of Kharg Island Oil Terminal

Iran has threatened to block other countries' oil exports (Image: GETTY)

"Our presence in the region is physical and constant and night and day."

Tensions between Tehran and Washington have soared since Mr Trump reimposed sanctions on Iran earlier this month.

In a furious Twitter rant, the White House chief said the measures were the "most biting sanctions ever imposed".

He added: "Anyone doing business with Iran will not be doing business with the United States. I am asking for world peace, nothing less!"

Donald Trump speaks at the White House

US leader Donald Trump wants to reduce Iran's oil exports to zero (Image: GETTY)

Senior US officials have said they aim to reduce Iran's oil exports to zero.

Brian Hook, from the US State Department, said last month: "Our goal is to increase pressure on the Iranian regime by reducing to zero its revenues from crude oil sales.

"We are working to minimise disruptions to the global market, but we are confident that there is sufficient global spare oil production capacity.

"We are prepared to work with countries that are reducing their imports on a case-by-case basis, but as with our other sanctions, we are not looking to grant waivers or licenses."

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1009075/Iran-oil-price-Donald-Trump-twitter-US-United-States-Washington

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

If Rouhani and Soleimani  were...eliminated...a lot would get "solved."

These guys have been evil-axising that part of the world for years.

Looks like our government knows that and is putting the squeeze on 'em finally.

Rouhani's financial guy has already been sacked/impeached.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/business/article217359565.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, Pitcher said:

Iran itching for a battle. 

Evening folks - thought I'd do a search on the size of the Iranian Armed Forces - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_Republic_of_Iran_Navy   At the bottom of the Wiki  Pg.External Links gives classifications and other particulars & other particulars.

. . . and I like this News Magazine - https://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-buzz/irans-navy-threat-america-22722 

:salute:. . .almost forgot this one https://warisboring.com/all-the-times-the-iranian-navy-got-its-ass-kicked/ from 2014 - bit of background

3 hours ago, ChuckFinley said:

In one clean sweep they will sink every ship in their Navy.  

3 hours ago, justchecking123 said:

Edited by 10 YEARS LATER
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, justchecking123 said:

I would have to agree. If these guys were taken out the ME would melo out pretty quick. 

• Upvote 2

• yota691 changed the title to Iranian official calls for negotiations with Washington in Iraq
  • yota691 locked this topic