Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Secret Service: Suspicious letter mailed to Obama

..Secret Service: Suspicious letter mailed to Obama

Associated Press – 13 mins ago..... Yahoo News

WASHINGTON (AP) — The U.S. Secret Service says it has intercepted a letter addressed to President Barack Obama that contained a "suspicious substance."

Secret Service spokesman Ed Donovan says the letter was intercepted at a facility away from the White House. He says the letter was received Tuesday.

The letter comes a day after lawmakers said a letter was mailed to Sen. Roger Wicker that tested positive for poisonous ricin. Another senator said police have a suspect in mind.

Tensions have been high in Washington and across the country since the deadly bombings on Monday at the Boston Marathon that killed three people and injured more than 170.

blogger-hartman-38_225236.jpg

By Rachel Rose Hartman, Yahoo! News

Political Report

A letter addressed to President Barack Obama containing a suspicious substance was intercepted Tuesday at an offsite mail facility, according to U.S. Secret Service spokesman Brian Leary.

"On 4-16-13, a letter addressed to the President containing a suspicious substance was received at the remote White House mail screening facility. This facility routinely identifies letters or parcels that require secondary screening or scientific testing before delivery," Leary said. The mail item was never near the president or the White House.

Following anthrax scares in the wake of the Sept. 11, 2001 terror attacks, the White House revamped its mail processing procedures, moving all processing off-site. The screening facility which caught the president's letter Tuesday, is "not located near the White House complex," Leary noted in his statement.

"The Secret Service is working closely with the U.S. Capitol Police and the FBI in this investigation," he said.

News of the intercepted letter to the president was reportedly announced to senators during a briefing Tuesday evening. A letter intended for Sen. Roger Wicker, R-Miss. tested positive Tuesday for ricin, a deadly poison. No information was released by the Secret Service regarding the substance contained in the letter to the president.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/letter-addressed-obama-contained-suspicious-substance-153931701--politics.html

• Upvote 1

Follow that up with this one -

A suspicious letter potentially laced with a poison, ricin, and postmarked from Memphis, was sent to the office of Sen. Roger Wicker of Mississippi, ABC News has learned.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid told ABC News that Capitol offices were on high alert.

The FBI was investigating the incident, officials said.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/republican-senator-receives-potentially-poisoned-letter/story?id=18972883

The FBI has confirmed that a letter addressed to President Obama has "preliminarily tested positive" for ricin, a day after lawmakers said another letter sent to the Capitol Hill office of Sen. Roger Wicker tested positive for the same substance.

The warnings come amid a flurry of reports on suspicious packages on Capitol Hill. Fox News has learned of at least three suspicious packages in two separate Capitol Hill office buildings, compounding security concerns in the wake of the letter incidents and the Boston bombing, which the FBI has said do not appear to be related.

Both of the suspicious letters were apparently intercepted on Tuesday. They never reached the Hill or the White House.

An FBI bulletin obtained by Fox News said the letter sent to Obama is still being screened, though it initially tested positive.

The bulletin said both letters included the phrase: "To see a wrong and not expose it, is to become a silent partner to its continuance."

Both were signed, "I am KC and I approve this message."

The letter to the Mississippi Republican was intercepted at an off-site mail screening facility.

Authorities declined to comment on a suspect or any other aspect of the investigation being led by Capitol Police, but Sen. Claire McCaskill, D-Mo., told the Associated Press police have a suspect in mind.

"The person that is a suspect writes a lot of letters to members," McCaskill said as she emerged from a classified briefing.

Testing is apparently still underway. The letter tested positive for ricin in a field test, but the FBI released a statement Wednesday saying tests have shown "inconsistent results" and the substance is being further analyzed.

According to a Homeland Security Department handbook, ricin is deadliest when inhaled. It is not contagious, but there is no antidote.

Wicker thanked law enforcement officials in a statement for "their hard work and diligence in keeping" those who work in the Capitol safe, adding that the matter is part of an ongoing investigation by Capitol Police and the FBI. "Gayle and I appreciate everyone's thoughts and prayers," he said.

As of Tuesday night, mail delivery had only been stopped to the Senate, not the House.

"It is of concern," Sen. Angus King, I-Maine, said after learning about the incident in a briefing with other senators late Tuesday.

The envelope had a Tennessee postmark and no return address.

The letter inside included an implied threat to effect of: "You haven’t listen to me before. Now you will, even if people have to die," Politico also reported.

Sources say officials are familiar with the person believed to have sent the letter as the person has sent other letters before.

FBI Director Robert Mueller and Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano were on Capitol Hill on Tuesday for a scheduled talk about cyber security. But that briefing morphed into talks about Boston, after the bombings Monday.

Senate Sergeant at Arms Terry Gainer conducted a separate briefing for senators specifically on ricin.

It's unclear whether the letter had any connection to the Boston attack.

The mail-screening system was established after the Anthrax attacks of 2001 that closed the Hart Senate Office Building.

Fox News' Chad Pergram and Mike Levine and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

And just a follow up - not sure what happened to the posts here -

A suspicious letter potentially laced with a poison, ricin, and postmarked from Memphis, was sent to the office of Sen. Roger Wicker of Mississippi, ABC News has learned.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid told ABC News that Capitol offices were on high alert.

The FBI was investigating the incident, officials said.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/republican-senator-receives-potentially-poisoned-letter/story?id=18972883

• Upvote 1

Here's my intelligent response friendly parm........In my opinion, these letters have to do with the possible gun grab.  Now, are you going to apologize, or do I have to get the principal involved?   :peace: 

GO RV, then BV

Get your head out of your a$$ and perhaps we might have an intelligent discussion!

Edited by Shabibilicious
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Here's my intelligent response friendly parm........In my opinion, these letters have to do with the possible gun grab.  Now, are you going to apologize, or do I have to get the principal involved?   :peace: 

GO RV, then BV

Shabs, IMO this has nothing to do with gun laws. IMO this is part of the terrorism via this week bombings. If you remember during 911 many anthrax laced letters were sent to govt officials. Law abiding citizens and there concern to uphold the 2nd Amendment would never stoop to this level.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Are poison laced letters a 2nd Amendment perk?   :huh: 

GO RV, then BV 

why are you bringing up the 2nd ammendment? Are you insinuating if your a supporter......your a potential "t".

It probably came from a crazy person. and at that.....it doesnt matter whether it was a democrat...liberal tea partyer.....or ron paul supporter. crazy is crazy.....why attempt to smear those who stand up for their constitutional rights

• Upvote 2

Shabs, IMO this has nothing to do with gun laws. IMO this is part of the terrorism via this week bombings. If you remember during 911 many anthrax laced letters were sent to govt officials. Law abiding citizens and there concern to uphold the 2nd Amendment would never stoop to this level.

I hear you sxsess and you very well may be right.  I don't remember exactly how the whole anthrax issue played out......but it seemed like 911 and the letters were unrelated.  I appreciate the 2nd amendment just as millions do.....but I would be very naive to think every law abiding citizen is going to react the same.  Remember, even law breakers are law abiding citizens until they are caught and convicted.  As always, just my opinion.

GO RV, then BV

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

why are you bringing up the 2nd ammendment? Are you insinuating if your a supporter......your a potential "t".

It probably came from a crazy person. and at that.....it doesnt matter whether it was a democrat...liberal tea partyer.....or ron paul supporter. crazy is crazy.....why attempt to smear those who stand up for their constitutional rights

Relax sandstorm.....I'm a gun owner.  I just think that maybe someone has snapped and it's because of the upcoming gun vote.  Am I not allowed to my opinion now?

GO RV, then BV

Out of the population.......say what...10% are either mental patients....or felon criminals. Crazy is crazy.....why define any group.....by the actions of a few lunatics. im sad to see you think that way

What group did I define?   :shrug: 

GO RV, then BV

Don't any of you find it interesting that Wicker was also sent one of these letters........and he is one of the Republicans that voted to end the filibuster for open gun debate?   :shrug: 

GO RV, then BV

Edited by Shabibilicious
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

The liberals are on pins and needles as this bombing evidence unfolds. 

If it isn’t a “rightwing, NRA card carrying, patriot, glen beck constitutionalist” then they know it will be one of their own again. 

If it’s one of the hate filled liberals, then they will be batting 100%. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Seriously........This is what happens when one gives their opinion?  How do you all explain the Wicker connection?  Anyone, anyone?  

GO RV, then BV

Just the opposite . Since he`s a republican it could have just as easily have been one of those LEFT WING EXTREAMIST.

and by the way shabs thank you for finally calling it what it really is.  QUOTE "   GUN GRAB"     hahahahahaha   :)

• Upvote 1

The liberals are on pins and needles as this bombing evidence unfolds. 

If it isn’t a “rightwing, NRA card carrying, patriot, glen beck constitutionalist” then they know it will be one of their own again. 

If it’s one of the hate filled liberals, then they will be batting 100%. 

Tim Mc Veigh wasn't exactly a liberal if I'm not mistaken... He was ultra right wing.