Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

UN official in Kuwait Monday to follow up Iraq-Kuwait issues

UN official in Kuwait Monday to follow up Iraq-Kuwait issues 03/03/2013   |   10:19 AM | Kuwait News text-size-minus.pngtext-size-plus.png

UNITED NATIONS, March 3 (KUNA) -- UN official Victor Poliakov, who has been taking care of the missing Kuwaitis and property files in the UN Secretariat since the nineties, will discuss the issues in Kuwait on Monday with government officials, KUNA learned late Saturday.

Poliakov was appointed by Secretary General Ban Ki-moon recently to temporarily follow up these two humanitarian files until the Security Council decides by June on how to proceed, after the High-Level Coordinator Gennady Tarasov left his office in late December.

Ban offered the Council in a report last December a number of options to choose from on how to fill until June the vacuum created by Tarasov's departure.

The options include replacing Tarasov with another full-time coordinator, appointing an interim coordinator, asking someone from the UN to assume the mandate until the files are closed, or allowing the UN Assistance Mission in Iraq (UNAMI) to take over the files.

When the council met in mid-December, it did not agree on any of the options, and therefore did not allow the mandate to be financed until a final decision is made.

While Russia wanted Tarasov to be replaced by another Russian, Western countries wanted the files to be handled by the UN Secretariat until the files are closed once and for all. Ban had personally wanted UNAMI to handle the files.

Since the council remained deadlocked on the way forward, Ban wrote to the council late last month informing its members that he has mandated Poliakov to "temporarily follow up the dossiers" until the council decides on how to proceed when it meets again on the issues next June.

A UN diplomat told KUNA that the recent improvement in the Kuwait-Iraq relations will definitely have an impact on the council's decision in June. He also said that the next few months will be a test for Iraq to prove to the international community that it means business and is serious about closing the files once and for all.

Iraqi Ambassador Hamid Al-Bayati told KUNA that some of the files, such as the maintenance of border posts and maritime navigation, will be dealt with bilaterally with Kuwait in the future, expressing satisfaction that the legal issues between Kuwait Airways and its Iraqi sister company have now been resolved.
"Both governments are determined to solve all outstanding issues and to open a new page in the relations between the two brotherly neighbors - Iraq and Kuwait," he said.(end) sj.wsa KUNA 031019 Mar 13NNNN

http://www.kuna.net.kw/ArticleDetails.aspx?id=2295991&language=en

Can anyone sleuth out the letter, referenced in the article above, that Ban Ki Moon purportedly wrote last month about the Iraq issues?.... Also, we should try and see what Poliakoff was told by the Kuwaitis today?

Edited by Markinsa
Replace Topic with Original Article Topic to Prevent Duplication : Add Chapter VII and UN Update Tags
  • Upvote 3

Dont fall for that June crap either they say Jne every year......dont you people remember this stuff.....I do same cycle of trash ..........no not June either....when june comes and goes then it will be before Ramadan and then before the end of the year and next thing you know we are in 2014 waitng on the budget to be passed to see an RV again.....and the beat goes on and on

• Upvote 1

The title of the article you posted is, "UN official in Kuwait Monday to follow up Iraq-Kuwait issues"  why do you have it listed as...."UN Update on Iraq's Ch. VII Status".

Really wish folks would stop taking creative license on articles in order to try and make them sound more exciting.

• Upvote 1

LIBoy, with all due respect, please stop complaining about my article titles. I word them very carefully after considering the content so that the reader can get a better idea of what's inside. The title I referenced was perfect given that the article does explain in detail what Iraq's problems have been in getting out of Ch. VII and the disputes within the UNSC about how to resolve Iraq's status and how the UN is now still trying to pick the ongoing mechanisms for supervising the last remaining items between Iraq and Kuwait. In fact, I've never seen as much valuable current detail about what's currently going on with the UNSC relative to Iraq as is contained in this article. The article also explains what is currently being done by the UN folks in preparation for the upcoming UNSC meeting in June about Iraq and references even more valuable information that we can follow up on (like the recent letter from Ban Ki Moon and the meeting with the Kuwaitis that was held by the UN folks TODAY). I get that you may disagree with the title, but please remember that the original title in the article was also probably picked by an editor and is not any kind of gospel. Seriously dude, you're just fly-specking the pepper at this point, IMO. Please do not read any more articles that I post if you cannot stop. 

• Upvote 2

LIBoy, with all due respect, please stop complaining about my article titles. I word them very carefully after considering the content so that the reader can get a better idea of what's inside. The title I referenced was perfect given that the article does explain in detail what Iraq's problems have been in getting out of Ch. VII and the disputes within the UNSC about how to resolve Iraq's status and how the UN is now still trying to pick the ongoing mechanisms for supervising the last remaining items between Iraq and Kuwait. In fact, I've never seen as much valuable current detail about what's currently going on with the UNSC relative to Iraq as is contained in this article. The article also explains what is currently being done by the UN folks in preparation for the upcoming UNSC meeting in June about Iraq and references even more valuable information that we can follow up on (like the recent letter from Ban Ki Moon and the meeting with the Kuwaitis that was held by the UN folks TODAY). I get that you may disagree with the title, but please remember that the original title in the article was also probably picked by an editor and is not any kind of gospel. Seriously dude, you're just fly-specking the pepper at this point, IMO. Please do not read any more articles that I post if you cannot stop. 

With all due respect blueskies.  The title box should represent verbatim exactly what the Author of the article entitled their piece.  The second box when posting a topic is for your content suggestions.  I'm not complaining.  As someone who has been published several times, I know I would be upset if my article wasn't presented exactly as I wrote it.  The news forum is for all of us to post news articles we think others would find interesting or helpful.  Personal interpretation should be posted under the article in a seperate post.

• Upvote 1

LIBoy, that is your rule, not the rule of this forum. You can't dictate what is presented here or how it's presented and, in no way, did I compromise the content of the article or misrepresent it. You can post however you like and I will post however I like. There is room for both of us here, and if you'll take the time to notice, you would see that nobody else has complained about my titles but in fact several have defended them against your complaints in the past. In sum, you do not make the rules here and you have no right to dictate how material is presented as this is not your forum. So please stop. BTW, you are not the only one who has been published here.

• Upvote 1

***///

BLUESKIES --- well done and thank you for bringing the article, you did just fine. :tiphat:

Seems everybody "got it" but the pup with the little milk teeth.... 

the rest of us will continue to feed your thread with insightful thoughts, ideas and contributions,

because we are grateful you brought it. 

The Title and content BOTH are worthy.  If the pup was psyched out, not your fault! ;)

Thank you again! :twothumbs:

And yes,

we are concerned about the UN's lack of attention to the growing Trilogy of Terror that is: MALIKI / IRAN / ASSad!

We've been looking for articles even eluding to it.... but nothing....yet. :confused2:

• Upvote 3

LIBoy, that is your rule, not the rule of this forum. You can't dictate what is presented here or how it's presented and, in no way, did I compromise the content of the article or misrepresent it. You can post however you like and I will post however I like. There is room for both of us here, and if you'll take the time to notice, you would see that nobody else has complained about my titles but in fact several have defended them against your complaints in the past. In sum, you do not make the rules here and you have no right to dictate how material is presented as this is not your forum. So please stop. BTW, you are not the only one who has been published here.

You are right and I apologize.

• Upvote 4

Even though it is not a rule, myself as a moderator would prefer that you used the original title of the article as the topic title in "this" forum.  I say that because we have several news hounds here, and it helps to have the original name to prevent people from duplicating the same posts.  Then I have to unapprove one or merge the topics, its kind of a pain in the butt to do all that.

Use the tag line if you want to be more descriptive of the post.

-

Dont fall for that June crap either they say Jne every year......dont you people remember this stuff.....I do same cycle of trash ..........no not June either....when june comes and goes then it will be before Ramadan and then before the end of the year and next thing you know we are in 2014 waitng on the budget to be passed to see an RV again.....and the beat goes on and on  

unfortunately, there is some truth to what you wrote. Sometimes I get a little weary with it.  Just like the goofy budget everyone is waiting on...but...big sigh...I still hope that REAL money that is valued Way too low...Will revalue...Got to have hope...it is not like we are waiting on the tooth fairy!  :blush: 

Edited by abby01

I agree Markinsa. The search option is better now but still easy to duplicate articles. This article was posted yesterday.

Even though it is not a rule, myself as a moderator would prefer that you used the original title of the article as the topic title in "this" forum. I say that because we have several news hounds here, and it helps to have the original name to prevent people from duplicating the same posts. Then I have to unapprove one or merge the topics, its kind of a pain in the butt to do all that.

Use the tag line if you want to be more descriptive of the post.

-

Edited by SocalDinar
  • Upvote 1

I hope as well but thats all we can do is hope and wish.....i just want the facts and not all of this bull crap goin on and on.......if itz such a guarsntee why lie and pump...i do believe one day it will RV but not for about 5 or 6 years

unfortunately, there is some truth to what you wrote. Sometimes I get a little weary with it.  Just like the goofy budget everyone is waiting on...but...big sigh...I still hope that REAL money that is valued Way too low...Will revalue...Got to have hope...it is not like we are waiting on the tooth fairy!  :blush: