Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Exiting Chpt 7 Statement

FreckledFuzz

http://www.uniraq.org/newsroom/getarticle.asp?ArticleID=1560

Statement of Mr. Madhu Acharya, Director, Political and Constitutional Affairs, UNAMI

On the occasion of International Day of Peace

21 September 2011

Honorable Minister, distinguished guests, participants

Ladies and Gentlemen,

On behalf of the United Nations, I commend the Hon. Minister of Human Rights for organizing this event today to celebrate International Day of Peace and inviting us to attend.

Peace is one of humanity’s most precious needs.

For us at the United Nations, it is our highest calling that defines our mission.

September 21, the International Day of Peace, is an occasion for humanity to take stock of itself and its efforts to live in peace.

You would all agree with me that Iraq has made significant strides and continues to exert efforts towards institutionalizing peace, often with huge price during the last several decades, a price that civilians all over the country continue to pay on a daily basis.

On behalf of the UNAMI, I would like to commend all of you, representatives from the Government, Parliament and the civil society for the enormous efforts made towards ensuring lasting peace for Iraq and its people, despite the enormous challenges.

The international community, including the United Nations, is a strong partner to the people and Government of Iraq in this important endeavor.

The path is however still a long one and as we continue to see on daily basis targeted and indiscriminate acts of violence, but this should not discourage us.

This year’s theme on International Day of Peace is on peace and democracy.

As the Secretary-General said in his message on the occasion, and I quote, “Democracy is a core value of the United Nations. It is crucial for human rights. It provides channels for resolving differences. It gives hope to the marginalized… and power to the people. But democracy does not just happen; it has to be nurtured… and defended”.

Peace can only be broadened with democratic institutions and a broader participation of the civil society.

Peace can only be sustained with justice fundamental human rights institutionalized.

Iraq still faces several challenges towards institutionalizing peace.

There are still ongoing violations of human rights.

There are outstanding political issues to be addressed.

Women’s participation in the political process has to be broadened.

Minorities need better protection.

The aspirations of youth need to be better addressed.

Institutions will have to be strengthened on democratic principles.

And most importantly, Iraq will have to soon regain its international place, exiting from Chapter VII.

In all these endeavors, the United Nations stands ready as a partner with the Government and people of Iraq.

At the United Nations, the Day is devoted to strengthening the ideals of peace and paying tribute to the many individuals who speak out in favour of peace.

Here, we should salute the people of Iraq for their courageous commitment to peace and democracy, sometimes even at huge costs and despite enormous challenges.

This day belongs to the people of Iraq.

Thank you.

• Upvote 13

And most importantly, Iraq will have to soon regain its international place, exiting from Chapter VII.

I do like that line, but no timeline given is a little downer. We've been hearing soon and close so much lately I'm not sure I even remember the meanings of those two words. So, we wait to find out . :)

• Upvote 2

I do like that line, but no timeline given is a little downer. We've been hearing soon and close so much lately I'm not sure I even remember the meanings of those two words. So, we wait to find out . :)

soon again???? cmon man

• Upvote 2

Who is the speaker and what is his importance? I looked him up and could not find much yet. Maybe a reporter? In one video on youtube he mentions being a reporter.

It is probably a very accurate assessment, but I do not think he is a major policy maker. Does anyone know more about him?

Very true, although while there's *always* tomorrow, the last line is very telling

This day belongs to the people of Iraq

Now this week we've seen news about Iraq [trying to] play nice with Kuwait, significant progress on the HCL, and copious amounts of articles coming out about new projects, contracts, and other monies being spent for the greater good of Iraq.

I'm going to make a wild conjecture [guess--I'm not a GOOROO!] that this should be done by Oct 1st--- the UN meetings end next week and what better way to end with a "bang'?

Also note-- even though the debate for the Iraq fiscal year was a heated one...what about the US fiscal year? That is Oct 1st....after all, it is said this is a US masterminded event. :)

• Upvote 4

Who is the speaker and what is his importance? I looked him up and could not find much yet. Maybe a reporter? In one video on youtube he mentions being a reporter.

It is probably a very accurate assessment, but I do not think he is a major policy maker. Does anyone know more about him?

Statement of Mr. Madhu Acharya, Director, Political and Constitutional Affairs, UNAMI

He's the UN representative of Nepal as well as UNAMI Director as stated here;

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-221796971.html

Edited by FreckledFuzz
  • Upvote 1

Peace can only be broadened with democratic institutions and a broader participation of the civil society.

Peace can only be sustained with justice fundamental human rights institutionalized.

Institutions will have to be strengthened on democratic principles.

Seems to me he is pointing out some items that still need more attention before soon=now

• Upvote 2

He's the UN representative of Nepal as well as UNAMI Director as stated here;

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-221796971.html

Thank you Freckled for the post. This is a great find, and a significant document, IMO.

"On behalf of the United Nations...". Mr. Acharya is representing the United Nations as a body. This was not chit chat at a cocktail party.

Diplomats do not address a body of colleagues with a written statement that has a specific message, and this statement was specific, unless they are delilvering a message that is upholding UN consensus. Mr. Acharya, IMO, is telling the world that Iraq is ready, and will be released soon. Soon, in this instance, means now.

Iraq's fate regarding Chapter 7 is known to the UN before Talabani's speech this morning. His speech is window dressing, the decision has been made.

IMO, Iraq will be released from Chapter 7 by the end of the General Assembly, if not before.

PS Freckles, patience is a virtue, isn't it?

Edited by Carrello
  • Upvote 1

I just watched Talibani's speech at the UN, and there was absolutely NO MENTION of the release from Chapter 7.

I strongly believe that this is a GOOD SIGN, in that it is more than likely being "handled behind the scenes". To come out and ask/demand this in front of everyone else would be as rude as, well, the Palestinians demanding membership in front of the whole world in order to embarass them into it.

Talibani was polite, spoke about Iraq's progress, invited international businesses and peaceful solutions to all problems. He DID back the Palestinians, no surprise there.

If it is to happen (Charter 7 release), it will be done under more normal conditions, with all arrangements made in advance and no surprises. The announcements will be made public in a big way, but the vote for it will have been (or has already been) known beforehand.

• Upvote 1

They unfortunately won't exit Chap. VII until there is more stability. Hopefully that will happen very SOON! There’s that friggin word again. ohmy.gif

If you follow the local news over there, and I don't mean just the 000 articles... there is constant violence still. I know many of you know this already, but there are many more that don't.

A day doesn't go by that there isn't a half dozen terrorist bombings in Baghdad alone, let alone the dozens of daily shootings and bombings around the entire nation. If this were happening here it would be chaos! Marshall Law would be invoked and our economy would crash within weeks. Nobody would go to school or work for fear of being killed. Yes, it is a lot less violent than in previous years, but it's still a very dangerous place! sad.gif

With all the factions fighting for power still... though increasingly tempered, Iraq still won't be able to be trusted with WMD just yet. We aren't going to let Iraq arm itself with hundreds of fighter jets, missle systems and warships until we know they won't be used against our interests down the road. To be a sovereign nation again and be completely released from Chap. VII, they need to be able to defend themselves from their wicked, theocratic neighbour’s and quell the violence in country. The only thing holding back Iran from invasion is the US military! Once Iraq is strong enough to defend her borders, Iran will stay away and we can remove most of our troops.

Before we leave Iraq, we’ll have to have their army and police fully trained and armed to the teeth. It is being worked on, but we’re not there yet!

SOON! Don’t ya just hate that word! cool.gif

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Read more: http://dinarvets.com/forums/index.php?/topic/85017-exiting-chpt-7-statement/#ixzz1YmUeO9Je

Even the poor saps at the UN use this nebulous word "SOON" No exit yet but "SOON" blink.gif

"Soon" ranks right up there with voting "present". Leave it to politicians to make vaporious statements they can always back away from or disavow later on. This statement by UNAMI almost sounds good, but tells me nothing......which is most likely what was intended.

...Peace can only be broadened with democratic institutions and a broader participation of the civil society.

Institutions will have to be strengthened on democratic principles...

Since you can say that about nearly every country I think it's more of an ideal goal

than a specific "to do" list. At least I hope so.

Carrello, I hope you are right!!! Thanks for the input.

I was a little discouraged by not hearing Pres. Talabani speak of Chapter 7.

wpsmit and TFK I did not like the sounds of that part of the speech either. There are a lot of closed door meetings. We hope something good happens in one of those!

They unfortunately won't exit Chap. VII until there is more stability. Hopefully that will happen very SOON! There’s that friggin word again. ohmy.gif

If you follow the local news over there, and I don't mean just the 000 articles... there is constant violence still. I know many of you know this already, but there are many more that don't.

A day doesn't go by that there isn't a half dozen terrorist bombings in Baghdad alone, let alone the dozens of daily shootings and bombings around the entire nation. If this were happening here it would be chaos! Marshall Law would be invoked and our economy would crash within weeks. Nobody would go to school or work for fear of being killed. Yes, it is a lot less violent than in previous years, but it's still a very dangerous place! sad.gif

With all the factions fighting for power still... though increasingly tempered, Iraq still won't be able to be trusted with WMD just yet. We aren't going to let Iraq arm itself with hundreds of fighter jets, missle systems and warships until we know they won't be used against our interests down the road. To be a sovereign nation again and be completely released from Chap. VII, they need to be able to defend themselves from their wicked, theocratic neighbour’s and quell the violence in country. The only thing holding back Iran from invasion is the US military! Once Iraq is strong enough to defend her borders, Iran will stay away and we can remove most of our troops.

Before we leave Iraq, we’ll have to have their army and police fully trained and armed to the teeth. It is being worked on, but we’re not there yet!

SOON! Don’t ya just hate that word! cool.gif

Somebody else should be training these people on crime control. Not us. According to the stats.............There is over 18 Thousand Violent crimes ( Murder, Rape, Assault) in America Every Day. (6.6 Million A Year) And I don't see too many people hiding in their house. So I don't buy the "It must get better first argument" . It'll never go away. So Says.................DayTrader

• Upvote 3

Thank you Freckled for the post. This is a great find, and a significant document, IMO.

"On behalf of the United Nations...". Mr. Acharya is representing the United Nations as a body. This was not chit chat at a cocktail party.

Diplomats do not address a body of colleagues with a written statement that has a specific message, and this statement was specific, unless they are delilvering a message that is upholding UN consensus. Mr. Acharya, IMO, is telling the world that Iraq is ready, and will be released soon. Soon, in this instance, means now.

Iraq's fate regarding Chapter 7 is known to the UN before Talabani's speech this morning. His speech is window dressing, the decision has been made.

IMO, Iraq will be released from Chapter 7 by the end of the General Assembly, if not before.

PS Freckles, patience is a virtue, isn't it?

Thanks Carrello good post.

This is just my thoughts on the corruption, crime, and instability of Iraq: When any country is doing well, when the citizens are prospering, when they are not hungry, when their family is secure, crime does not prosper, the people do. Cancer does not flourish in an oxygen rich environment.

The Clooney movie, Syriana, was a great move showing what happens to young men that have nothing, and resort to a system that will support them, feed them, clothe them, and then let them blow themselves up to support the cause.

People have an inate drive to work towards something, to do well at something, provide for their family, and further theirr knowledge and consciousness. The Talaiban and al Qaeda prey on men and women that are poor (and not always, but that is the norm), uneducated, and desperate.

I feel that if the Iraq people had more money, more opportunities, they would not tolerate the corruption and terrorism in their country. People also have an inate drive to be, not only proud of themselves, but proud of their country, a proud allegiance. Many of our naysayers think they are in their last swirl around the porcelain bowl, but I disagree. This is a new democracy, and centuries of culture need to be re-evaluated, understood, and implemented into a new world. This does not happen overnight.

If I were a decision maker on the UN Security Council, I would see the opportunities that the lifting of Chapter 7 would afford the Iraqi people,,,, and the revaluing of their currency would provide for jobs, security, and many additional opportunities, which in turn would pave a road to end the terrorism, crime, and hopefully, slowly but surely, the end to corruption.

Someone made a comment this morning about having to go "another weekend" without any good news ($$$). Wow, what a typical American, give-it-to-me-now, response. Stand away from your myopic world and look at what these people have held as their world for centuries, what they have been through for the past 40 years, and what progress has been made. I don't like, nor understand, a lot of what goes on in Iraq, and I thank my lucky stars I happened to be born in the US, but we must try to understand them as a culture.

There is so much good news about the infrastructure being built, ports, high-speed rail, the very rich minerals and mining opportunities, agriculture opportunities, 5-star hotels being built, international conferences being held inviting investors into the country, all of the good things that are happening in Iraq. And isn't Iran pleased with itself that it can be disrupting all of this with low-life terrorist activities. (That is another rant and I do not understand why a lid had not been put on that stinking pot).

Anyway, Iraq may not be over the security hurdle, but I see the release of Chapter 7 further enabling Iraq to further progress.

• Upvote 3