Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

TPP Fast Track Legislation Just Introduced!! Gives Power of Congress to Obama

Rayzur

The issue is not whether you are for or against the Trans Pacific Partnership......

Actually if you even had an opinion about being for or against it, you're a frickin mind reading genius as this document has been created over the part 4 years in complete secrecy.

The issue is whether or not Congress should hand its power over to the President, excluding any and all representation of the American public's voice in these proceedings.

Facts:

The bill is titled the “Bipartisan Congressional Trade Priorities Act” or TPA 2014 for short.

The US Trade Rep has  been making great efforts to restrict Congress’s input on TPP. Congress members are only permitted to view the text in a specific room without the ability to take notes or be accompanied by legislative aides. All the while, they give privileged access to Trade Advisory Committees—mostly made up of advisors for big corporations—to view and comment on drafted text.

Lawmakers in Congress are just introduced a biparitisan  bill to hand over their own constitutional authority to debate and modify trade law. It’s called Fast Track, or Trade Promotion Authority. It creates special rules that empower the White House to negotiate and sign trade agreements without Congressional oversight. Lawmakers won’t be able to analyze and change their provisions, and have only 90 days for an up or down, Yes or No vote to ratify the entire treaty

By blocking this bill (the Fast Track Authority given to the president), Congress will keep its authority to conduct full hearings on all of these agreements' provisions. Our  elected representatives will then have a voice in representing the people's will and voice on the matter. Stopping this bill (Fast Track) will retain  direct accountability to the American people regarding the  destructive foreign manipulation of our country for its corporate gain....

Urging your representatives to defeat this Fast Track bill, gives us further opportunity to demand our, Senators and Representatives  question the entire secretive process that has been used to negotiate TPP and TTIP. It's clear that the White House and the US Trade Rep are willing to skimp on transparency in trade negotiations, but that is exactly why we need to prevent them from taking even more control over U.S. trade policy and the rights of the American people.

In case you missed it, here is info from another thread about contacting your representative, a brief email message you can copy and the people on the committee overseeing this with hyperlinks for you to contact them directly:

Here is a link to the group referenced as the primary major opponent of the TPP

http://www.flushthet...-on-fast-track/

On that website they give the link to find the Congress person for each state which is:

http://house.gov/

They also give a great example of a short email to use as well as the list of all Ways and Means committee members with hyperlinks to contact them:

3. Make the call or send the email. Keep it short and focused. Here is a sample script:

“Hello, my name is _________________ and I live in __________________.  I am calling (writing) to ask you to oppose giving the President Fast Track Trade Promotion Authority for the Trans-Pacific Partnership.”

You can stop there or you can give a reason why you oppose the TPP. Perhaps you are concerned about food safety, the price of medications, the environment, internet freedom, worker rights or the loss of sovereignty.

If your member is on the Ways and Means Committee, please ask them to prevent Fast Track legislation from leaving the committee. ( I think its too late for this, I think the bill was introduced meaning it out of this committee... and not sure if it would return there for revision, which is doubtful.   I'm going to include it so you'll have contact info anyway)

Here is a list of the committee members:

Dave Camp, MI, Chairman
Sam Johnson, TX
Kevin Brady, TX
Paul Ryan, WI
Devin Nunes, CA
Pat Tiberi, OH
Dave G. Reichert, WA
Charles W. Boustany Jr., LA
Peter J. Roskam, IL
Jim Gerlach, PA
Tom Price, GA
Vern Buchanan, FL
Adrian Smith, NE
Aaron Schock, IL
Lynn Jenkins, KS
Erik Paulsen, MN
Kenny Marchant, TX
Diane Black, TN
Tom Reed, NY
Todd Young, IN
Mike Kelly, PA
Tim Griffin, AR
Jim Renacci, OH

Sander Levin, MI, Ranking Member
Charles B. Rangel, NY
Jim McDermott, WA
John Lewis, GA
Richard E. Neal, MA
Xavier Becerra, CA
Lloyd Doggett, TX
Mike Thompson, CA
John B. Larson, CT
Earl Blumenauer, OR
Ron Kind, WI
Bill Pascrell Jr., NJ
Joseph Crowley, NY
Allyson Schwartz, PA
Danny Davis, IL
Linda Sánchez, CA

• Upvote 7

This is insanely important. People, PLEASE, take the few important minutes to make the call or write to your Congressperson and oppose it. It's sad that our so called "Representative's" have to be prodded on something like this. They should have shut this down before it got this far.

Thank Razur, for keeping up with this and bringing it here.

• Upvote 4

Besides the contacting of your representatives, if you are on Facebook you need to share the http://www.flushthetpp.org/category/campaign-updates/ site with your "public".

If you are on Twitter, follow http://www.flushthetpp.org/category/campaign-updates/ and retweet their messages. The more people that hear about this the better our chance of stopping it.

:cowboy2:

• Upvote 3

Will be addressing this when I get off work this evening.  I'm also looking forward to seeing what the Supreme Court does about the POTUS's misuse of power when making appointments.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2014/01/13/supreme-court-obama-senate-appointments-power/4455569/

Things have moved slow, but I think some things are about to catch up with the CINC.

Just stating facts. 

However - there's a reason I've had an "Axe Max" sticker on my pickup the last few years. (The one I don't drive to work since as a member of the military I can't make a political statement - but can as a private citizen.)  So looking forward to MT replacing him...

• Upvote 2

Thanks DD6 - just shared it on FB and several of my "friends" shared it again. Also sent it out on my twitter feed - may get some additional retweets from that too.

Did it yesterday,here is the link again for a petition to stop it:

http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/o/1034/p/dia/action/public/?action_KEY=9842

Thanks Rayzur (aka Trinity)  I sense trouble within the Matrix! :D 

• Upvote 2

Thank You Rayzur... You were the one who brought this to my attention months ago...

Yes it is real obvious that they have kept this all very secret... and no doubt with good reason.

If this had all been planned out in the open... they know we would have all been saying "NO WAY!!! You Are Not Doing This!!!"

I have already contacted my state politicians... several of them... and several times each.

Thanks again for the additional links... this is one ball we can't afford to take ours eyes off... not even for a minute.

Thanks to you DiveDeep6 for your link also...

This is a collective effort that I'm sure we all can agree is extremely important to follow through on.

Edited by Maggie123
  • Upvote 1

Besides the contacting of your representatives, if you are on Facebook you need to share the http://www.flushthetpp.org/category/campaign-updates/ site with your "public".

If you are on Twitter, follow http://www.flushthetpp.org/category/campaign-updates/ and retweet their messages. The more people that hear about this the better our chance of stopping it.

Excellent idea TG!!!! Thanks..... and heart felt thanks to all you in the DV community willing to take a stand.... What a great group of people..... I'm proud to be among you...

• Upvote 3

I completely saturated FOX News face book page and a few of there co- shows like The Five, special report with bret Baier, Hannity .

Not a big fan of their broadcasting but it may force them to at least do a story on it. These broadcasting people dont like to get caught with their pants down once something is brought to their attention. That way they can act like it was their idea.

Anything to bring this to the attention of the masses  

• Upvote 2

I completely saturated FOX News face book page and a few of there co- shows like The Five, special report with bret Baier, Hannity .

Not a big fan of their broadcasting but it may force them to at least do a story on it. These broadcasting people dont like to get caught with their pants down once something is brought to their attention. That way they can act like it was their idea.

That Was A Great Idea Dog!!! Good On You!!! :)

Excellent idea TG!!!! Thanks..... and heart felt thanks to all you in the DV community willing to take a stand.... What a great group of people..... I'm proud to be among you...

Me Too Rayzur... Thanks Again For Keeping Our Focus On This... Very Much Appreciated

• Upvote 1

Bipartisan in today's political context is the coming together of one side that is extremely evil and the other side that is stupid.  The result is catastrophic.  

If our politicians do reach across the aisle it should just be to slap the s**t out of one another.

That always makes for good entertainment.

• Upvote 2

Bipartisan in today's political context is the coming together of one side that is extremely evil and the other side that is stupid.  The result is catastrophic.  

If our politicians do reach across the aisle it should just be to slap the s**t out of one another.

That always makes for good entertainment.

Lol JonJon :D :D :D

Hopefully we can convince them to do the right thing here... we sure did in regard to Syria... this is just as urgent. IMHO

After that... let the "slapping" begin... :D  :D  :D

Edited by Maggie123
  • Upvote 1

That's one way to use FOX News and any other stations out there. State wide and local. 

Good on you Dog.  :twothumbs:

• Upvote 1

As always,..... you continue to be my frickin hero Dog.... You've never been one to do the talk without the walk... and if we never again agree on anything (which I doubt to the point of 0% chance of that happening).... but even if we didn't...... you will always, have my utmost respect in that you are one to walk  your talk...

• Upvote 1

At last I found the thread!

This was posted elsewhere. Sorry for repeat.

Wrote to my senator

Here is her reply.

Dear Mr. Muleslayer:

Thank you for contacting me regarding Trade Promotion Authority (TPA). As your representative in Congress, I appreciate hearing your thoughts and concerns.

Exports of Kansas products totaled $11.66 billion in 2012 supporting one in every fifteen private sector jobs in our state. Nationwide companies involved in trade are proven to grow faster and pay more than ‘domestic only’ manufacturers. I am committed to finding new markets for Kansas agriculture, aircraft and manufactured goods.

Trade Promotion Authority (TPA), also known as fast track promotion, is a statutory mechanism that Congress uses to define the negotiating objectives and consultative procedures for trade agreements. Under TPA, bills relating to trade agreements are considered under expedited legislative procedures thereby limiting amendments and debate, and requiring an up-or-down-vote. The purpose of TPA is to preserve the role of Congress in regulating trade agreements, while bolstering the executive branches negotiating credibility abroad by assuring that a trade agreement, once signed, will not be changed during the legislative process. TPA expired in 2007 and as of current, has not been renewed by Congress.

Any trade agreement that the United States reaches with the Trans-Pacific or the Trans-Atlantic would have to be approved by Congress through passage of implementing legislation. If the TPA is renewed through legislative proceedings, the executive branch is still required to consult with Congress 90 days prior to the beginning of any negotiation. The executive branch, in order to remain credible during negotiations with foreign parties, must be able to ensure the support of Congress. This executive burden ensures Congress can weigh in on objectives like protecting foreign investment, promoting intellectual property rights, encouraging transparency and maintaining the right for the U.S. to enforce its trade remedy laws.

As a member of the House Ways and Means Committee and the Subcommittee on Trade, please be assured that I take the responsibilities of Congress very seriously. Also, know that I will continue striving to make sure the interests of Kansas are protected as we work through trade agreements that will open up new markets for our state's products.

Thank you again for contacting me. Please never hesitate to call, email, or write if you have any issues or concerns on your mind. Also feel free to visit my website at www.lynnjenkins.house.gov where you can see what I have been up to and sign up for my weekly newsletter.

Sincerely,

Lynn Jenkins, CPA

Member of Congress

Privacy Statement

Congresswoman Jenkins appreciates the opportunity to communicate with you via e-mail. Please note that her office will not provide your e-mail address to other organizations. She cannot guarantee the integrity of the text of this message if it was not sent to you directly from her Congressional e-mail account.

This is an unmonitored email account. Please use our web form at http://lynnjenkins.house.gov to contact our office.

• Upvote 1

At last I found the thread!

This was posted elsewhere. Sorry for repeat.

Wrote to my senator

Here is her reply.

Dear Mr. Muleslayer:

Thank you for contacting me regarding Trade Promotion Authority (TPA). As your representative in Congress, I appreciate hearing your thoughts and concerns.

Trade Promotion Authority (TPA), also known as fast track promotion, is a statutory mechanism that Congress uses to define the negotiating objectives and consultative procedures for trade agreements. Under TPA, bills relating to trade agreements are considered under expedited legislative procedures thereby limiting amendments and debate, and requiring an up-or-down-vote. The purpose of TPA is to preserve the role of Congress in regulating trade agreements, while bolstering the executive branches negotiating credibility abroad by assuring that a trade agreement, once signed, will not be changed during the legislative process. TPA expired in 2007 and as of current, has not been renewed by Congress.

Good Job Muleslayer... :) Appreciate your efforts and your follow up here. I haven't recieved any responses yet.

Although I gotta say your response was vague and confusing... She didn't address PTT at all and what she said about TPA sounded like...

Paraphrasing..."Here is the reason for TPA (fast tracking) but it has been expired since 2007."

What The...??? I dunno... she kinda talked like a politician if you ask me.

We need to pin these people down... "say what you mean and... mean what you say."

• Upvote 1

Good Job Muleslayer... :) Appreciate your efforts and your follow up here. I haven't recieved any responses yet.

Although I gotta say your response was vague and confusing... She didn't address PTT at all and what she said about TPA sounded like...

Paraphrasing..."Here is the reason for TPA (fast tracking) but it has been expired since 2007."

What The...??? I dunno... she kinda talked like a politician if you ask me.

We need to pin these people down... "say what you mean and... mean what you say."

Agreed sister!

• Upvote 1

Maybe it would help her if she put down the rhetoric and actually read what was going on??? :lol: :lol:

U.S. Congress members introduced a bill yesterday to “fast track” trade agreements, including the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) through Congress. If passed, lawmakers would only have a small window of time to conduct hearings over binding trade provisions and give an up-or-down vote on ratification without any ability to amend the terms before they bind the U.S. government. This legal arrangement is at odds with the spirit of the Constitution, which gives Congress authority over U.S. trade policy. Fast track authority (also known as Trade Promotion Authority or TPA) means that Congress hands that power over to the White House and the U.S. Trade Representative. Stopping fast track is one crucial step towards blocking secretive and undemocratic agreements like TPP and the EU-US trade agreement, the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP).

The bill is titled the “Bipartisan Congressional Trade Priorities Act” or TPA 2014 for short. The press release for the bill claims that it “provides greater transparency and gives Congress greater oversight of the Administration’s trade negotiations.” This is grossly misleading to say the least. Fast-track would ensure that there's even less transparency and less oversight around trade negotiations that we have seen around the likes of TPP.

The U.S. Trade Rep is negotiating TPP and TTIP as if it already has fast track authority. Today's proposal, like all previous fast track bills, supposedly ensures ongoing Congressional participation throughout the process. But the US Trade Rep has already been making efforts to restrict Congress’s input on TPP. Congress members are only permitted to view the text in a specific room without the ability to take notes or be accompanied by legislative aides. All the while, they give privileged access to Trade Advisory Committees—mostly made up of advisors for big corporations—to view and comment on drafted text. The TPA 2014 bill carries guidelines encouraging “enhanced cooperation” with these Trade Advisory Committees.

The bill also outlines the principal negotiating objectives of the United States, and as suspected, it includes obligations for “Intellectual Property.” Some of the ways trade agreements can fulfill these obligations is by:

ensuring that standards of protection and enforcement keep pace with technological developments, and in particular ensuring that rightholders have the legal and technological means to control the use of their works through the Internet and other global communication media, and to prevent the unauthorized use of their works;

and

providing strong enforcement of intellectual property rights, including through accessible, expeditious, and effective civil, administrative, and criminal enforcement mechanisms;

So...what about fair use? The failure to mention the importance of balancing these objectives with the users' right reflects an ongoing prejudice that in the realm of “Intellectual Property,” it is only the rightsholders' private interests that matter. Such biased objectives in this trade bill make it even more likely that U.S. trade agreements will contain copyright provisions that are harmful to the Internet and users' rights to share, interact, and remix digital works.

If we block this bill, Congress will keep its authority to conduct full hearings on all of these agreements' provisions, so our elected representatives can be directly accountable for the kinds of harmful digital rights provisions that are included in these trade deals. At that point, we can take it up with our Senators and Representatives to question the entire secretive process that has been used to negotiate TPP and TTIP. It's clear that the White House and the US Trade Rep are willing to skimp on transparency in trade negotiations, but that is exactly why we need to prevent them from taking even more control over U.S. trade policy.

The time is now to stop fast track and demand that the U.S. Congress hold our trade negotiators accountable.  We need to maintain the pressure and ask that our representatives oppose this draconian process. Demand that your Congressional representatives step up to the plate and take back their Constitutional role in trade policy and shine a light on this opaque, secretive process.

Muleslayer.... thanks for walking the talk and stepping up...... wonder if your Congress person is embarrassed she didn't know something you did, .... like the TPA (Fast Track) was proposed for vote days BEFORE you even wrote to her or she replied....

Maybe it would help her to have the TPA (Fast Track) bill.... :lol: :lol:

http://www.finance.senate.gov/newsroom/chairman/release/?id=7cd1c188-87f1-4a0b-8856-3fc139121ca9

And Lordie is there a lot of fast talking tap dancing introduction in this bill.... sounds better than sliced bread.... though unfortunately is full of slogan driven themes without any teeth to enforce Congressional oversight.... IF they were to introduce strong laws about Congressional oversight... or the agreement gets pulled.... well one could at least feel better about it passing.... maybe... Big maybe...

Thanks again MuleSlayer for the update!!