Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Allen West on the Marines Incident: 'Shut Your Mouth, War Is Hell'

krome2ez

1:37 PM, Jan 13, 2012 • By DANIEL HALPER

Rep. Allen West (R-Fla.), a former Army lieutenant colonel, sends THE WEEKLY STANDARD an email commenting on the Marines' video, and has given us permission to publish it.

“I have sat back and assessed the incident with the video of our Marines urinating on Taliban corpses. I do not recall any self-righteous indignation when our Delta snipers Shugart and Gordon had their bodies dragged through Mogadishu. Neither do I recall media outrage and condemnation of our Blackwater security contractors being killed, their bodies burned, and hung from a bridge in Fallujah.

“All these over-emotional pundits and armchair quarterbacks need to chill. Does anyone remember the two Soldiers from the 101st Airborne Division who were beheaded and gutted in Iraq?

“The Marines were wrong. Give them a maximum punishment under field grade level Article 15 (non-judicial punishment), place a General Officer level letter of reprimand in their personnel file, and have them in full dress uniform stand before their Battalion, each personally apologize to God, Country, and Corps videotaped and conclude by singing the full US Marine Corps Hymn without a teleprompter.

“As for everyone else, unless you have been shot at by the Taliban, shut your mouth, war is hell.”

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/allen-west-marines-incident-shut-your-mouth-war-hell_616699.htm

And from the Canadian Free Press:

What is so honorable about this bestial enemy that brutalizes his own family with atrocity, and mutilates his women relatives?

Allen West on the Marines Incident: ‘Shut Your Mouth, War Is Hell’

- William R. Mann Saturday, January 14, 2012

(3) Comments | Print friendly | Email Us

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A voice of sanity. Thank you, Congressman Allen West [LTC, USA, Retired].

May I suggest that Her Royal Highness HR Clinton and Professor Panetta take all of their liberal civilian buddies out to fight against the Taliban (once they have rid this country of these “monstrous” Marines])? Come, teach all of us Active, Retired and Veteran military how to lead soldiers in combat, and what their punishments should be for what amounts to malicious mischief.

They understand NOTHING about the dynamics of complex emotional and psychological factors running through the minds of young soldiers and actions before, during and after a firefight. Acts of tasteless exuberance in thought word and deed afterwards is not at all uncommon.

Case Study Offered: I was once acquainted with a P-47 pilot [bill H: If you are still out there… Godspeed] shot down over the hedgerows of Normandy. He was rescued after running through enemy fire and under the covering fire of a platoon of the 82d Airborne. He told me that when he crashed, he literally flipped a coin to determine in which direction to run as a hail of lead was flying through the air from both directions. After rescue, he was issued a rifle and became an asset to that unit until he could be repatriated with the Army Air Corps folks. The 82d was on a mission of clearing a village of Nazi resistance and German soldiers.

The fighting was house to block to block and house to house until the village was pacified. Typically, if there was a suspect basement window, grenades were thrown in [basements offered much cover and concealment and were often used for CPs]. They did not stop forward momentum by negotiating with the enemy or observing polite behaviors. The method of entry in other buildings often involved kicking open doors and spraying the rooms, sight unseen, with automatic rifle fire until magazines were almost empty, before assessing initial results. Again, there were no invitations to tea as long as hostile fire was coming from locations in town. Bill, told me that on one occasion, Grandpa and Grandma were sitting in a room having tea when they were cut down by bullets. In other cases, already wounded Germans were finished off during the assault on a house.

“War is,” in General Sherman’s own words, “hell.” It is the devil’s playground. Bad things happen. Soldiers cuss like never before, they adopt comforting habits like snuff, or smokes. They become hardened; their hands are usually calloused and dirty; sometimes cracked and bleeding. Real sleep is a luxury. Each new mission or deployment might be their last. They become the honey badger just to stay alive.

Tell me, had there been a cameraman with Bill’s unit, would he have filmed this? If the cameraman had filmed this, would he have sent it to Reuters [or whomever]? If Reuters had received it, would they have shown it? Likely not. It would have been heavily edited first.

Here we have 19/20-somethings fighting and seeing their buddies killed, or seeing videos of this enemy beheading Americans [reporters, contractors, Soldiers and Marines]. They urinated on the Taliban dead. This is regrettable. After a tough battle even a leader would be tempted to do such a thing. Big deal! Hell, Patton urinated into the Rhine River and it was captured on film! What is so honorable about this bestial enemy that brutalizes his own family with atrocity, and mutilates his women relatives? So, peeing on a corpse is an atrocity now? Horse-puckey! Give them a Battalion Level punishment. Do not ruin the rest of their lives!

As to Secretaries [who never served, never were warriors]: Hillarious Clinton, Leon Panetta, and the rest, I say talk is cheap. What hypocrites you are; you crooked politicians! You wear white-washed robes but you are rotten underneath. You talk about honor but you have no pedigree in the subject, and no moral righteousness for this trumped-up indignation. Go ahead, apologize to the Taliban, you idiots. Shame on you for continually persecuting and demoralizing your own warriors. Go ahead, finish off the world’s best enforcers and defenders of peace ... you jerks. This is the real crime!

Here: See what war is really all about.

King David, using Goliath’s sword, cut off the head of Goliath after he had killed him, and God blessed King David and the Israelites. I say God Bless the US Armed Forces and the US Marines for taking the fight to the sworn Taliban enemies of civilization and the United States, and killing them!

William R. Mann

Most recent columns

William R. Mann, is a retired Lt. Colonel, US Army. He is a now a political observer, analyst, activist and writer for Conservative causes. He was educated at West Point [bachelor of Science, 1971 ]and the Naval Postgraduate School [Masters, National Security Affairs, 1982]. He currently resides with his wife in Pensacola, Florida. William can be reached at: letters@canadafreepress.com

http://www.canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/43905

Edited by krome2ez
  • Upvote 17

It is preposterous for anyone who

hasn't been there to think they

fully understand what combat is

really like, let alone be prepared

to endure the physical and

emotional rigors of war.

author unknown......I found this piece in my husbands

"box" after his retirement in '89. It now hangs on our wall in his study along with all his other certificates, awards and decorations. I see it daily and I know it is true.....I will never know or understand ........He and all of our mighty warriors took upon themselves to saves us from this understanding....Thank God for these Men and Women

• Upvote 7

It is preposterous for anyone who

hasn't been there to think they

fully understand what combat is

really like, let alone be prepared

to endure the physical and

emotional rigors of war.

author unknown......I found this piece in my husbands

"box" after his retirement in '89. It now hangs on our wall in his study along with all his other certificates, awards and decorations. I see it daily and I know it is true.....I will never know or understand ........He and all of our mighty warriors took upon themselves to saves us from this understanding....Thank God for these Men and Women

Very cool post.

• Upvote 1

Under normal cicumstances I would be the first to cast a stone at what would be an immoral act! BUT, these people(?) the Taliban corpses were not moral nor anything except perhaps slightly higher than a snakes belly; after what they have done to us, our families and the good people in the world, how do they ecspect to be treated? :rolleyes:

• Upvote 2

“As for everyone else, unless you have been shot at by the Taliban, shut your mouth, war is hell.”

Loved his approached, straight forward and with aggression.

“War is,” in General Sherman’s own words, “hell.” It is the devil’s playground. Bad things happen. Soldiers cuss like never before, they adopt comforting habits like snuff, or smokes. They become hardened; their hands are usually calloused and dirty; sometimes cracked and bleeding. Real sleep is a luxury. Each new mission or deployment might be their last. They become the honey badger just to stay alive.

This is the side that our representatives with their coats and ties don't see, never experience and will never know what our courage's men and women go through to protect our Freedom.

• Upvote 3

only problem is they were stupid enough to record it and got caught, has similar stuff like this happened over there when the tables are turned of course or far worse as he described. The main thing is the marines gloated about this and to me that is wrong do what you do but dont be cocky about what youre doing. The taliban is scum of this earth and i dont feel sorry one bit for them is it wrong that they did this YES, would i punish them NO.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Things happen in war. The problem is so many dang cell phones with cameras and so many stupid kids who have not been taught NOT to take pictures of everything and send them home. This has been the case in every war. It is also a natural release of tensions and emotions regarding something that has killed many of your friends and recently has tried to kill you. There is also the problem of the candy a$$ politicians who have not even so much has watched a MASH series yet think they can judge our service men and women.

• Upvote 3

1:37 PM, Jan 13, 2012 • By DANIEL HALPER

Rep. Allen West (R-Fla.), a former Army lieutenant colonel, sends THE WEEKLY STANDARD an email commenting on the Marines' video, and has given us permission to publish it.

“I have sat back and assessed the incident with the video of our Marines urinating on Taliban corpses. I do not recall any self-righteous indignation when our Delta snipers Shugart and Gordon had their bodies dragged through Mogadishu. Neither do I recall media outrage and condemnation of our Blackwater security contractors being killed, their bodies burned, and hung from a bridge in Fallujah.

“All these over-emotional pundits and armchair quarterbacks need to chill. Does anyone remember the two Soldiers from the 101st Airborne Division who were beheaded and gutted in Iraq?

“The Marines were wrong. Give them a maximum punishment under field grade level Article 15 (non-judicial punishment), place a General Officer level letter of reprimand in their personnel file, and have them in full dress uniform stand before their Battalion, each personally apologize to God, Country, and Corps videotaped and conclude by singing the full US Marine Corps Hymn without a teleprompter.

http://www.weeklysta...hell_616699.htm

And from the Canadian Free Press:

What is so honorable about this bestial enemy that brutalizes his own family with atrocity, and mutilates his women relatives?

Allen West on the Marines Incident: ‘Shut Your Mouth, War Is Hell’

- William R. Mann Saturday, January 14, 2012

(3) Comments | Print friendly | Email Us

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A voice of sanity. Thank you, Congressman Allen West [LTC, USA, Retired].

May I suggest that Her Royal Highness HR Clinton and Professor Panetta take all of their liberal civilian buddies out to fight against the Taliban (once they have rid this country of these “monstrous” Marines])? Come, teach all of us Active, Retired and Veteran military how to lead soldiers in combat, and what their punishments should be for what amounts to malicious mischief.

They understand NOTHING about the dynamics of complex emotional and psychological factors running through the minds of young soldiers and actions before, during and after a firefight. Acts of tasteless exuberance in thought word and deed afterwards is not at all uncommon.

Case Study Offered: I was once acquainted with a P-47 pilot [bill H: If you are still out there… Godspeed] shot down over the hedgerows of Normandy. He was rescued after running through enemy fire and under the covering fire of a platoon of the 82d Airborne. He told me that when he crashed, he literally flipped a coin to determine in which direction to run as a hail of lead was flying through the air from both directions. After rescue, he was issued a rifle and became an asset to that unit until he could be repatriated with the Army Air Corps folks. The 82d was on a mission of clearing a village of Nazi resistance and German soldiers.

The fighting was house to block to block and house to house until the village was pacified. Typically, if there was a suspect basement window, grenades were thrown in [basements offered much cover and concealment and were often used for CPs]. They did not stop forward momentum by negotiating with the enemy or observing polite behaviors. The method of entry in other buildings often involved kicking open doors and spraying the rooms, sight unseen, with automatic rifle fire until magazines were almost empty, before assessing initial results. Again, there were no invitations to tea as long as hostile fire was coming from locations in town. Bill, told me that on one occasion, Grandpa and Grandma were sitting in a room having tea when they were cut down by bullets. In other cases, already wounded Germans were finished off during the assault on a house.

Tell me, had there been a cameraman with Bill’s unit, would he have filmed this? If the cameraman had filmed this, would he have sent it to Reuters [or whomever]? If Reuters had received it, would they have shown it? Likely not. It would have been heavily edited first.

Here we have 19/20-somethings fighting and seeing their buddies killed, or seeing videos of this enemy beheading Americans [reporters, contractors, Soldiers and Marines]. They urinated on the Taliban dead. This is regrettable. After a tough battle even a leader would be tempted to do such a thing. Big deal! Hell, Patton urinated into the Rhine River and it was captured on film! What is so honorable about this bestial enemy that brutalizes his own family with atrocity, and mutilates his women relatives? So, peeing on a corpse is an atrocity now? Horse-puckey! Give them a Battalion Level punishment. Do not ruin the rest of their lives!

As to Secretaries [who never served, never were warriors]: Hillarious Clinton, Leon Panetta, and the rest, I say talk is cheap. What hypocrites you are; you crooked politicians! You wear white-washed robes but you are rotten underneath. You talk about honor but you have no pedigree in the subject, and no moral righteousness for this trumped-up indignation. Go ahead, apologize to the Taliban, you idiots. Shame on you for continually persecuting and demoralizing your own warriors. Go ahead, finish off the world’s best enforcers and defenders of peace ... you jerks. This is the real crime!

Here: See what war is really all about.

King David, using Goliath’s sword, cut off the head of Goliath after he had killed him, and God blessed King David and the Israelites. I say God Bless the US Armed Forces and the US Marines for taking the fight to the sworn Taliban enemies of civilization and the United States, and killing them!

William R. Mann

Most recent columns

William R. Mann, is a retired Lt. Colonel, US Army. He is a now a political observer, analyst, activist and writer for Conservative causes. He was educated at West Point [bachelor of Science, 1971 ]and the Naval Postgraduate School [Masters, National Security Affairs, 1982]. He currently resides with his wife in Pensacola, Florida. William can be reached at: letters@canadafreepress.com

http://www.canadafre...p/article/43905

My sentiments exactly, from someone who served during Viet Nam.

• Upvote 2

Never been to Iraq and I pray for all our troops and civilian contractors on the Ground over there. I Just finished watching the Movie "Hurt Locker"

I realize that it's Hollywood, but if our troops experience 1/10th of the Emotional & Physical duress portrayed in this Film we as a country should Honor them, stand by them and support them in everything they do - No Matter What!!

• Upvote 2

I am a VietNam veteran, my three tours of duty were in 1971, 1972 and 1973 during which I logged 210 combat missions. (A price my family paid in lost time and anxiety)

In the month of December, 1972, the decision was made to send B-52 crews over North Vietnam, which was noted for its air defenses at that time. On December 18, 1972 Operation Linebacker II began with nighttime B-52 strikes in North Vietnam (741 sorties) and South Vietnam (212 sorties). Unfortunately, the White House and Pentagon leadership foolishly ordered top-down tactics, including requiring running lights, not changing altitudes, not changing formations, not coming in from different directions, using full electronics (which allowed the SAM-2s to shoot right into the middle of the blanketed radar spot, taking out Ship #2 in each three-ship formation), turning into the wind right after ordinance drops (slowing the planes at their most critical points), flying the same patterns every night, and other tactics too stupid to mention. Most of these tactics were designed to counter the likes of Jane Fonda reporting how awful her fellow U.S. citizens were because of the rare but inevitable collateral loss of life on the ground. Strangely she never criticized the NVN who typically put their weapons storage as close as possible to the very place that would give that collateral damage in order to foster the image portrayed by Fonda and her ilk. These types of errors enabled enemy forces to bring down twenty of the B-52s, resulting in numerous deaths and at least 33 POWs. I lost three friends and two classmates on Night 3 (December 20th), The operation lasted eleven days, during which I flew 5 of these eleven raids; three on the first three nights in a row There were numerous extremely intense situations, using tactics that made our aging fleet of B52 aircraft sitting ducks for what was the most heavily entrenched SAM environment in the world at that time. On the first night, our number two ship disintegrated before my eyes as a SAM entered the bomb bay before he released his ordinance. Night number two began with a complete electrical power failure on takeoff followed by our number two taking a SAM to an engine nacelle. As the two engines burned we followed him, until he landed at a small marine airstrip. The night ended with the horror of seeing another badly damaged B-52 overshoot the runway and crash right in front of us and watching the fire trucks stopped at the base perimeter leaving 4 of the 6 crew members to perish in the flames. They actually threatened to court-martial the pilot who rescued the other two men. On the third night we were in the number two slot and had a SAM “locked on” to our aircraft right up until impact. On the fifth night Hanoi launched waves of SAMs at our aircraft. Only a belated change of tactics enabled us to avoid the upwards of 20 SAMs that were a direct threat to our aircraft. At least one crew that was shot down were found crucified and mutilated. POWs were horribly tortured some tortured to death. Like the Taliban now, the NVN thought nothing of sending children to use grenades against our ground troops. When we returned thanks to the “media” most of us were vilified and even spit on. It was more than 20 years before I ever heard “thanks for your service”. My first cousin died from Agent Orange Exposure, his family got “squat”. Yes WAR IS INDEED HELL but because some people paid the price, other folks are FREE to criticize…and those who so quickly criticize without any clue of what a warrior must go through so that they are “free” to criticize surely need to take Mr. West’s advice and shut their collective pie holes. Kudo’s to Allen West and Col. Mann. If you are free and reading this….thank a VET !! EagleEye

USAFA Class of 1969

• Upvote 10

EagleEye,Thank you from one vet to another. My experiences were nothing compared to the horrors you must have endured. I sometimes wonder how people so quick to criticize and had the privilege to spit and belittle those who gave them that very right would act if thrust in the heat of battle. I think being scorned by our fellow Americans was as difficult to understand as the fighting of the war. Thankfully our service men and woman now have our respect from most of our population.

• Upvote 3

EagleEye and bopll, and all our servicemen/women , thank you, thank you, from the bottom of my heart.

I too had family serve and the fear of them not returning is unbearable. My father served in WWll, my brother in Veitnam and now cousins and nephews in Afghanistan.

Its just down right frustrating.

• Upvote 2

Allen West should shut his mouth he was relieved of command in Iraq. As former marine i am embarrassed of this incident. Marines are better than that, we hold 3 things in our hearts that are sacred. Duty, Honor, Corps. I have been both to Iraq, Kuwait and Beirut. We never desecrated bodies of the enemy, we treated the bodies with dignity and respect. We were above that. If our enemy choose to dishonor themselves Marines should never go to that level. That is my opinion americans are above that, don't prove that to be untrue. The iraqis could not figure out why the soliders were in all of that armor in the middle of the summer. They ask them for some cool pills translated. They could not believe how they could operate in 120+ weather with that armor on. As for Allen West he should pipe down and try to deal with florida. :angry:

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

EagleEye

I truelly understand your frustration, I was there for Linebacker II, stationed at NKP with the 40th Aerospace Rescue and Recovery unit the Jolly Greens. I was a PJ and was called a baby killer, war monger and spit at when I came home and could not understand the hostilities that were thrown at me and fellow servicemen and women. My main job was to rescue and treat the wounded and only used force when all else failed. TO ALL THE VETS OUT THERE THANK YOU ONE AND ALL.

TPSprayduster don't know why you got the negitive but I'll even you out

• Upvote 2

War is hell....yes

War is stupid...oh yes

People who start wars have no imagination for exploring other options.

People who start wars usually do it for some kind of economical or corporate reason.....sometimes backed by religious organizations.

Ok, so you have been sent overseas to stop a bunch of people taking or keeping control of an area that your boss wants to maintain control over.

So off you go...and....you gotta resort to killing people in order to fulfill your bosses expectations of control.

it's not what you want to do...I assume...if you are a normal person with empathy for another persons suffering.....but the people who confront you, leave you with no choice...so blam blam blam and they are dead.

You and your army friends have just killed a bunch of guys in a war situation. But if it were NOT a war situation, then maybe, just maybe, you and those people might actually get on and be friends......who knows, right? We assume that they are normal people, like you,who are also following bosses orders..just like you.

So now they are dead. Ok...you've done your job...but pissing on their corpses????? That is just disgraceful behaviour. A total lack of respect for people's dignity in their death.

They might be the so called enemy to you...but they are not dogs....they are not sub human...I know, I know......your squad leader teaches you not to think of them as being human beings....to make it easier for you to do your job and kill them before they kill you.

But ya don't have to piss on them!!! All life is sacred....all human beings are vessels, or temples, carrying the spirit of God within them, regardless of their religion.

God does not do religion. God does LOVE. God does ot care which religion you belong to,or which church you go to.....or even if you do not go to any church.......People do religion....mostly coz it is great business....or they feel the need to belong to a group...unable to think for themselves, by themselves.

So if we carry god within us....and god only does Love and we agree hat God IS Love.....that ought to lead us to ask....before we decide to pee on someone's dead body: "what would Love do??"

Would Love inspire us to pee on those people? Or would Love inspire us to give them a decent burial of some sort?

Ok, so we assume that the marines were immature dickheads....so go ahead...express your numbskull idiotic immaturity...but did ya HAVE to VIDEO it???!!!

Geeeeezz!!!!!!!!

Too stupid for words, some people....I am very disappointed with those human beings. Idiots, blockheads, jarheads, spiritually devoid.....totally lacking in empathy, like your bosses and commanders. Go directly to jail.

EagleEye

I truelly understand your frustration, I was there for Linebacker II, stationed at NKP with the 40th Aerospace Rescue and Recovery unit the Jolly Greens. I was a PJ and was called a baby killer, war monger and spit at when I came home and could not understand the hostilities that were thrown at me and fellow servicemen and women. My main job was to rescue and treat the wounded and only used force when all else failed. TO ALL THE VETS OUT THERE THANK YOU ONE AND ALL.

TPSprayduster don't know why you got the negitive but I'll even you out

I applaud you, sir, and you do not desere to be spat on or anything like that. I assume that you never peed on corpses, though. Well done for looking after your team mates. You followed your bosses orders...and obviously did a great job. But that does to make war any less stupid.

God bless you.

• Upvote 1

The Courage of Rep Allen West to speak out respresents the truth at the core of what our soldiers have done past, present & the future. Our soldiers provide "Freedoms" for our citizens and others throughout the world to enjoy daily without any notion of how those freedoms came about. The media is so full of horse crap and our politicians continue to give in to this without a clue because the majority of them have never ever served this country. The "Big Picutre" is the reality of War and many people will never be able to understand no matter how much you drill and drill into their minds. The ultimate "Sacrifice" of our women and men serving is the "Big Picture" so we just need to think for a moment and understand that because in the end that is what matters when we speak of "Freedom" for all to enjoy throughout the days we live. As stated by Rep West Article 15(Non-judicial punishment) will suffice and then we need to move on with bigger issues that face our nation. Enough said!!

Retired...Still Serving!!

• Upvote 1

My first impression, of course, was ... Oh My God ... these men are barbarians.

Then I thought a bit ... second impressions are usually much more what I am really thinking ... the first impressions just get the feelings out of the way and let the brain get a grip.

First of all, there is the issue of what THEY have done to US. The atrocities they perpetrated on our service personnel and civilians not to mention the towers etc. etc. But it doesn't make any moral sense to use that as an excuse. And it is just an excuse. Lowering yourself to the lowest common denominator, in this case the Taliban, is not making the US and better than the THEM. Period.

Now, back to the issue at hand.

These are Marines ... and I use a capital there bacause the United States Marines are known and respected world wide for being tough, rough, on the spot at the time, ready to go, and like the watch, they can take a licking and keep on ticking.

Okay, these Marines ... they have spent the better part of their day creating those corpses, which is their duty. They were not sent to Iraq or Afghanistan, or any other battlefield for that matter, to sell cookies door-to-door. They are there as a representative of the United States of America in two ways. They are to protect civilians, no matter their nationality, and they are to "deactivate" the enemy. "Take them out" is the phrase used on television.

So, these Marines, back to that again, have been warriors this day. They have, obviously, just fought the enemy. Now that isn't like making a move on the chess board. And there is no "do over" if it doesn't work right the first time. So these men had to be battle ready, and that isn't just getting up off the couch for another beer. And it isn't just the physical readiness that is required of a battle ready corps member.

They also need to be ramped up emotionally. Who could, at rest, suddenly handle being shot at, having bombs underfoot, facing the gun waving enemy when the enemy is maybe twelve years old. Yes, I am making a point there too ... the enemy does not ever have to wonder if the "infidel" they are out to kill is a child. But "our" military has to realize every day that children are not only collateral damage when it comes to stray bullets, land mines, loss of family, they are out there being soldiers, well armed and hyped up. I imagine the Marines go out into the field having been trained not to think of it, but the enemy they face could indeed be the age of their own children. That is a hard one to handle.

But emotionally the Marine who carries his weapons into the battle is also dealing with the reality of the odds on whether he comes back intact and healthy, or missing parts, or an emotional basket case, or in a plastic bag. It takes a tremendous amount of emotional and physical energy to overcome self preservation actions, and reactions,.

The self preservation actions, in this case, are those things the Marine must do to reach his goal, and simplified that means to kill people. Again, not pieces on a game board or flashing lights on a digital game system. These are people ... alive, full of red blood, seeing, breathing, thinking, just like the guy standing next to you. And you ... yes, you ... are expected to go out there and kill them. Fancy language aside, that's it!

So, after the action, the reaction. Many years ago before the regulations did not permit non medical personnel to "ride along" I was a volunteer for a local ambulance service in a smaller town. I was amazed at a lot of things but what applies here: People who have "very close calls", or have the accident, or even witnessed a very gruesome accident ... end up with wet pants.

Really, ask first responders. When danger to one's self comes so close it could have been death, or even just injury, people tend to react to the threat by wetting themselves. It is one of those natural defense mechanisms. In the animal kingdom there are several instances of a built in bladder emptying protocol that happens when the animal is threatened. It happens with people too ... we use a saying that refers to bowels more than bladder ... "scared sh!tless" ... same premise. In fact, there is one course I have seen taught to women who want to survive rape, if it happens, that recommends if you are being attacked to let your bladder go and that will sometimes make the attacker leave. Won't go into why.

In any event, the point is these men (okay, and women) are wound up tighter than a Swiss watch. When they are back at their base, safe, having lived through yet another encounter with the enemy, and trying to come down from that emotional high, (emotional highs are not all good, a lot are bad) ... they will do things that they wouldn't do normally. I have known grown men, real tough guys, cry when the emergency is over. I have seen the same grown men tough guys react with shakes so bad they cannot hold their drink in their hand or get their cigarette to their mouths without help. This is a physical reaction to the release of tension.

In this case, considering the enemy is so hated and the cause of so much "terror" I can well imagine it would seem quite appropriate to pee on them. They were not thinking about defiling a corpse. They were not thinking about what other people might think. It was THEM out there taking the risk, and their emotionally justified response.

The stupidity comes in when one of them, all of them? ... whoever ... put the snippet of video on the internet at youtube. THAT was really dumb. And whoever did that should have some advanced training in thinking ahead.

Personally I have no problem with what they did, just with how they let it come back to haunt them. This isn't a matter of some planned atrocity, as it usually is with that particular enemy when they attack the "we" or "us" side. This was an emotional reaction to the release of stress.

Do we admonish them for what they did? Of course we do, nice and loud, to satisfy all those outraged citizens who claim to support the armed forces but haven't the foggiest idea what those men and women have to go through, sometimes days and weeks on end with the only relief from stress really being getting off the battlefield and safe again.

:twocents:

smee2