Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Journalist who threw shoes at George W. Bush running for Iraqi parliament

This story made me laugh.  

The Iraqi journalist who infamously threw his shoes at former President George W. Bush is now running for parliament in Baghdad. 

Muntadhar al-Zaidi tossed his shoes at Bush during a joint press conference with Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki in 2008. He was tackled by Iraqi bodyguards, arrested, and spent nine months in prison.

Bush was unharmed in the political stunt.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/journalist-who-threw-shoes-at-george-w-bush-running-for-iraqi-parliament

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

Iraqi journalist who flung shoes at Bush is running for president

May 1, 2018 | 3:26pm |

Iraqi journalist who flung shoes at Bush is running for president

The Iraqi journalist who chucked his shoes at President George W. Bush at a 2008 news conference in Baghdad is looking for a new job — the presidency of Iraq, a new report said Tuesday.

Muntadhar al-Zaidi, who at the time worked for Egypt-based al-Baghdadia television network, launched both of his shoes, one at a time, at Bush’s head during a farewell news conference with Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki in his palace in the Green Zone.

“This is a farewell kiss from the Iraqi people, you dog,” he yelled in Arabic at Bush as he tried to brain the president.

“This is for the widows and orphans and all those killed in Iraq,” he shouted before he was tackled by the prime minister’s bodyguards.

The American president nimbly ducked both shoes, which sailed over his head.

“That was a size 10 shoe he threw at me, you may want to know,” Bush cracked at the time.

Modal Trigger

A protester holds a picture of al-Zaidi throwing his shoes at US President George W. Bush in 2008.AFP/Getty Images

Zaidi was arrested and locked up for the attempted attack on a visiting head of state and spent nine months behind bars before he was released early for good behavior — and now wants to be president, BuzzFeed News reported.

The president is a largely ceremonial official who, according to the Iraqi constitution, “safeguards the commitment to the Constitution and the preservation of Iraq’s independence, sovereignty, unity, the security of its territories in accordance with the provisions of the Constitution.” A maximum of two four-year terms keeps anyone from staying in place.

Fuad Masum currently occupies the office, but the next election is May 12.

Al-Zaidi, alas, won’t have his weaponized footwear to use on the campaign trail, the website reported, because they were destroyed by US and Iraqi security forces in 2008.

FILED UNDER ELECTIONS ,  GEORGE W. BUSH ,  IRAQ ,  JOURNALISTS

https://nypost.com/2018/05/01/iraqi-journalist-who-hurled-shoe-at-bush-is-running-for-president/

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

13 minutes ago, ChuckFinley said:

Guess he is not making the cut this year. Needs to spend some more time in the Iraq Penal League. :lol:

Shoot Chuck he will probably recruit all the players he played with in the IPL and see if they can out do the present government on what they can steal by not showing up.  :jester:

SR

Iraqi who threw shoes at President Bush runs for Iraqi parliament 

By Mohammed Tawfeeq, CNN

Updated 3:16 PM ET, Wed May 2, 2018 

In a 2008 photo, Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki (R) tries to shield US President George W. Bush after an Iraqi man threw his shoes at Bush.

In a 2008 photo, Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki (R) tries to shield US President George W. Bush after an Iraqi man threw his shoes at Bush.

(CNN)Almost a decade after sparking an international diplomatic incident by throwing his shoes at former US President George W. Bush in Baghdad, Muntadhar al-Zaidi is planning a political career of his own.

The Iraqi journalist, now 39, is to stand for parliament in the forthcoming elections in Iraq -- and has ambitions to become the country's leader.
Al-Zaidi became a worldwide celebrity after throwing his shoes at Bush in protest at the US invasion during a news conference held in the Iraqi capital in December 2008.
Bush, who was making a farewell visit to the country at the time, avoided being hit by the shoes, but al-Zaidi was bundled to the ground and hustled out of the room by security officials.

Muntadhar al-Zaidi, second from left, is running for parliament.

Muntadhar al-Zaidi, second from left, is running for parliament.
While Bush flew home, al-Zaidi was sentenced to three years in prison, which was eventually reduced to just 12 months. He was released after nine months after being granted a conditional discharge.

Receive Fareed Zakaria's Global Analysis
including insights and must-reads of world news
Activate Fareed's Briefing
By subscribing you agree to our

Fast-forward to 2018 and Al-Zaidi is now a candidate in the upcoming Iraqi parliamentary elections on May 12.
Al-Zaidi has spent much of his time outside Iraq since being released from prison in 2009 but returned two months ago to take part in the elections after living in Beirut, Lebanon.
"As you know me from a long time ago, I will be supporting the oppressed people and be against oppressors," he said in an online video. 
Iraqi officials share a laugh as they unveil a bronze shoe monument representing the one thrown by al-Zaidi at former US president George W. Bush.

Iraqi officials share a laugh as they unveil a bronze shoe monument representing the one thrown by al-Zaidi at former US president George W. Bush.
Al-Zaidi is using his 2008 protest against Bush to gather support, posting the video of the incident to his Facebook campaign page.
The reporter called the shoe-throwing gesture -- a traditional insult in Arab culture -- a "farewell kiss" to a "dog" who launched the 2003 invasion of Iraq.
The video shows Al-Zaidi shouting "You killed the Iraqis!" as security staff pinned him to the ground.
Bush ducked as the shoes sailed past his head.
"I don't have any issue with America or Americans," al-Zaidi told CNN on Wednesday.
"My only issue is with the former president George W. Bush. He occupied my country and he killed my people.
"If I become the prime minister of Iraq or the president then the first thing I will do is to ask the United States of America to officially apologize to all Iraqis, to compensate the victims and hold former president George W. Bush accountable."

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, climber7 said:
"I don't have any issue with America or Americans," al-Zaidi told CNN on Wednesday.
"My only issue is with the former president George W. Bush. He occupied my country and he killed my people.
"If I become the prime minister of Iraq or the president then the first thing I will do is to ask the United States of America to officially apologize to all Iraqis, to compensate the victims and hold former president George W. Bush accountable."

Think about this folks, reflect and draw your own conclusion -

MY feelings - [the short version] : MY (Our) Brothers & Sisters in Arms on orders from the POTUS shed their blood to set Iraq free [ say what you will about all the reasons; the fact remains, we bled ] so this tool would have the opportunity to voice his :twocents:. Perhaps he was happier under Saddam ? No doubt under Saddam, Freedom of Speech was highly encouraged . . . yeah, sure.

Edited by 10 YEARS LATER
  • Upvote 1