Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

German Mercedes-Benz Executive Arrested Under Alabama’s Immigration Law

Weapon X

Alabama’s economy is suffering because of HB 56, the state’s draconian immigration law, as workers flee out of fear. State Sen. Scott Beason ®, who sponsored the anti-immigrant bill in the Alabama legislature, once called it a “jobs bill,” but the state’s immigration law is leaving entire industries without enough workers instead.

And the extreme law, which legislators are now reconsidering, could seriously damage the state’s reputation as well after police arrested a German Mercedes-Benz executive last week under the immigration law. Mercedes opened its first American manufacturing plant in Vance, Alabama in 1993, spurring a trend of foreign car makers and suppliers opening factories in the state. They may be rethinking that decision, however, after one of their German executives was arrested for simply not having his passport with him:

Tuscaloosa Police Chief Steven Anderson told The Associated Press an officer stopped a rental vehicle for not having a tag Wednesday night and asked the driver for his license. The man only had a German identification card, so he was arrested and taken to police headquarters, Anderson said.

The 46-year-old executive was charged with violating the immigration law for not having proper identification, but he was released after an associate retrieved his passport, visa and German driver’s license from the hotel where he was staying, Anderson said.

The length of his detainment and the status of his court case weren’t immediately known.

Bentley…called the state’s homeland security director, Spencer Collier, after hearing of the arrest to get details about what had happened, Collier said in an interview.

“Initially I didn’t have them, so I called Chief Anderson to find out what happened,” Collier said. “It sounds like the officer followed the statute correctly.”

Before Gov. Robert Bentley ® signed HB 56, drivers who did not have a license were given a ticket and court summons, Collier said. “If it were not for the immigration law, a person without a license in their possession wouldn’t be arrested like this,” he told the AP.

In October, the New York Times speculated in an editorial that despite best efforts to recruit foreign automakers to Alabama, the state was now “infamous as a regional capital of xenophobia.” And if the immigration law scared away a manufacturer like Mercedes, which employs about 2,800 Alabamians, or Hyundai, which announced an expansion at its Montgomery, Alabama plant in May, would only compound the state’s economic woes. The unfortunate arrest of a visiting Mercedes executive only underscores the damage Alabama’s harmful anti-immigrant law will continue to do to the state’s economy — and its reputation.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Well there would be enough workers in Alabama if they would quit sending out un-empoyment checks and make people go to work! This new law has been 'sensationalized' across America. It has always been illegal to be here without proper documentation, the only thing this law is doing is enforcing what should already have enforced.

• Upvote 10

A slightly different perspective for the same incident - "Fair and Balanced" did you say!

Mercedes Honcho From Germany Arrested Under Alabama Immigration Law

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – A German manager with Mercedes-Benz is free after being arrested for not having a driver's license with him under Alabama's new law targeting illegal immigrants, police said Friday.

Tuscaloosa Police Chief Steven Anderson told The Associated Press an officer stopped a rental vehicle for not having a tag Wednesday night and asked the driver for his license. The man only had a German identification card, so he was arrested and taken to police headquarters, Anderson said.

The 46-year-old executive was charged with violating the immigration law for not having proper identification, but he was released after an associate retrieved his passport, visa and German driver's license from the hotel where he was staying, Anderson said.

It wasn't immediately known how long the man was in custody or the status of his court case.

The law -- parts of which were put on hold amid legal challenges -- requires that police check citizenship status during traffic stops and take anyone who doesn't have proper identification to a magistrate. Anderson said that's what was done, but someone in the same situation wouldn't have been arrested before the law took effect.

"If it were not for the immigration law, a person without a license in their possession wouldn't be arrested like this," he said. Previously, drivers who lacked licenses received a ticket and a court summons, according to Anderson.

Mercedes-Benz spokeswoman Felyicia Jerald said the man is from Germany and was visiting Alabama on business. The company's first U.S. assembly plant is located just east of Tuscaloosa.

"This was an unfortunate situation, but the incident was resolved when our colleague ... was able to provide his driver's license and other documents to Tuscaloosa police," Jerald said.

***************************************************************************************

The vehicle was stopped because it had no "tag" (in most cases this would indicate a stolen vehicle).

The driver had no drivers license or ID (another indication of criminal activity)

Would you prefer the officer just issue a citation without knowing if the person was the actual owner of the car? (Probably not if it was your stolen vehicle.)

If you travel to any foreign country, the first instruction you are given is to always carry your identification with you.

This gentleman had nothing on him proving his identity. He was not roughed up, mishandled, or treated poorly.

Respect for the country and its laws while you are visiting is all that is necessary.

:twocents:

• Upvote 8

Good, every state should have this law. The tougher the better. This story of course written by a globalist. If a person doesn't have the right papers to be here, LOCK 'EM UP! They don't put up with any crap in any other country. Why should we have to put up with it here? I don't care that he was an executive of some company or not. The BS has got to end here too.

• Upvote 9

Good, every state should have this law. The tougher the better. This story of course written by a globalist. If a person doesn't have the right papers to be here, LOCK 'EM UP! They don't put up with any crap in any other country. Why should we have to put up with it here? I don't care that he was an executive of some company or not. The BS has got to end here too.

I totally agree.... Well stated...... If you are here, then play by our rules, no exceptions

• Upvote 4

I find it interesting when people who do not live in the States get all upset over American laws. It seems on the same line as when Mexico was suing Arizona over the immigration law.

or when an illegal says his constitutional rights were viloated :angry:

• Upvote 4

Should have been carrying his papers.... Americans in any foreign country are required to carry theirs, or be subject to much worse in many places!

Agree!

or when an illegal says his constitutional rights were viloated :angry:

Oh my ??? What constitutional rights??? I have to agree here too.

• Upvote 1

Americans in any foreign country are required to carry theirs...

I'll call BS on that.

I'm an American, live in a foreign country, and travel to many others.

While it's always a good idea to carry some ID and know your passport number, you are not required to have it with you, except when going through Immigration.

I'll call BS on that.

While it's always a good idea to carry some ID and know your passport number, you are not required to have it with you, except when going through Immigration.

I'll agree with you on that one ...... it is a good idea for an american tourist to carry some sort of ID on them in europe but not a requirement.

I have lived in many countries throught Europe and have encountered many Americans some were tourists and some have decided to stay now I'm gonna say something here and i'm probably gonna get bashed for it but im gonna say it anyway...... there is a big minority ..... yes large minority lol .... operative word bieng minority of americans who when outside the United States seem to think they own the planet , that the laws of another country dont apply to them, like they operate above other countries laws who do and say things they wouldnt dream of doing in the US ..... that also goes for some europeans that travel to the US.

now we do have more relaxed laws for certain things especially motoring offences ..... example ... I'm Irish when I used to live there I used to race motorcycles, I used to take my race bike out on the road just for a quick test run anytime I serviced it (completly non road legal bike) one day I was caught by a local cop ...... he was gonna give me a ticket, I said I couldnt afford it, then he said "tell you what I'll race you for it " so if he beat me I'd have to pay.... anyway we went up to the motor way and had a 5 kilometer drag race I kicked his ass and he was happy to let me away with it ..... another time I was stopped for having no road tax, the first thing the officer asked me was not to see my license but what I did for a living, I was an electrician at the time, he wrote his address on a piece of paper, said call up to my house on saturday morning I have some work for you to do .... problem solved no ticket lol.

now case in point with the German guy ... ok he had an Id card but no licecse on him .... if the law states you must have your driving license on you, well he broke the law and the cop was correct in arresting him. Over here if your stopped and you dont have your details on you .... you have 7 days to produce your licecse to your local station.

Edited by The Machine
  • Upvote 3

if you have never driven by the mercedes plant in the area of tusculoosa ,,this place is a hugh manufacturing facility,, i owuld think the local yocal police would have done the back ground check a hell of a lot better --- if i were to pull over a nice auto no plates, well dressed person, that spoke with acccent, having the i d he had on him i might have called the the station asked the cheif in charge,,, ---this might be a black eye too future operations in bama

• Upvote 1

I feel the same way, yes its law every state should have it and enforce it. And as far as the factory's , if the greedy bastards would pay a real wage they would have workers. There is to many that have gotten use to paying slave wages and making a killing on there product. :angry: The migratory workers are killing this country. The big business owners look at it , this USA man wants 13.00 per hour and this Migrant we can pay him 5.00 and get the same thing. Screw the Businesses . :(

• Upvote 1

I feel the same way, yes its law every state should have it and enforce it. And as far as the factory's , if the greedy bastards would pay a real wage they would have workers. There is to many that have gotten use to paying slave wages and making a killing on there product. :angry: The migratory workers are killing this country. The big business owners look at it , this USA man wants 13.00 per hour and this Migrant we can pay him 5.00 and get the same thing. Screw the Businesses . :(

I do get your point ..... but just remember where you came from .... unless your a native american indian your ansestors were migrants

The USA is one of a few countries completly built by migrant workers ...... so when do you get to say sorry no more were full ..... to be honest I really dont wanna get into that arguement just bringing up the point.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I no what your saying Machine , but its to a point ware big Biss is taking advantage of them and screwing the economy of this country up totally.And these people are excepting it.

Well the way I see it is .... its always been that way, big buisness will always try and get away with what they can ...... in the past it was never so apparent but the sad truth at the presant time is that big buisness has more power than the governments trying to control them ...

Big buisness is fast paced and cut-throat & always demanding results....... whereas government is slow, lazy and willing to mortgage not just our future's but our grandchildrens futures as well so they can line their pockets.

if the government was run like a buisness which it clearly is ..... none of us would be in the mess were in today..... big buisness isnt screwing your economy , they dont even have to try your government is doint that on thier own.

Edited by The Machine
  • Upvote 2

Alabama’s economy is suffering because of HB 56, the state’s draconian immigration law, as workers flee out of fear. State Sen. Scott Beason ®, who sponsored the anti-immigrant bill in the Alabama legislature, once called it a “jobs bill,” but the state’s immigration law is leaving entire industries without enough workers instead.

And the extreme law, which legislators are now reconsidering, could seriously damage the state’s reputation as well after police arrested a German Mercedes-Benz executive last week under the immigration law. Mercedes opened its first American manufacturing plant in Vance, Alabama in 1993, spurring a trend of foreign car makers and suppliers opening factories in the state. They may be rethinking that decision, however, after one of their German executives was arrested for simply not having his passport with him:

The 46-year-old executive was charged with violating the immigration law for not having proper identification, but he was released after an associate retrieved his passport, visa and German driver’s license from the hotel where he was staying, Anderson said.

The length of his detainment and the status of his court case weren’t immediately known.

Bentley…called the state’s homeland security director, Spencer Collier, after hearing of the arrest to get details about what had happened, Collier said in an interview.

“Initially I didn’t have them, so I called Chief Anderson to find out what happened,” Collier said. “It sounds like the officer followed the statute correctly.”

Before Gov. Robert Bentley ® signed HB 56, drivers who did not have a license were given a ticket and court summons, Collier said. “If it were not for the immigration law, a person without a license in their possession wouldn’t be arrested like this,” he told the AP.

In October, the New York Times speculated in an editorial that despite best efforts to recruit foreign automakers to Alabama, the state was now “infamous as a regional capital of xenophobia.” And if the immigration law scared away a manufacturer like Mercedes, which employs about 2,800 Alabamians, or Hyundai, which announced an expansion at its Montgomery, Alabama plant in May, would only compound the state’s economic woes. The unfortunate arrest of a visiting Mercedes executive only underscores the damage Alabama’s harmful anti-immigrant law will continue to do to the state’s economy — and its reputation.

[He knew better, he was well educated not a citizen of this country and should understand that compliance with the laws if not adhered to will produce consequences. He is not exempt because he is German or is with the auto maker. Do we exempt him because he is status is higher than an ordinary citizens. Wrong is wrong. Maybe next time he will have his ID with him.........Go over to Germany and try this and see what happens.

• Upvote 1

I do get your point ..... but just remember where you came from .... unless your a native american indian your ansestors were migrants

The USA is one of a few countries completly built by migrant workers ...... so when do you get to say sorry no more were full ..... to be honest I really dont wanna get into that arguement just bringing up the point.

America was built by migrants and immigrants. You could say most countries were started by migrants and immigrants ( Prehistoric settlements) that migrated and settled to build their country, centuries ago. But that's beside my point.

Make no mistake, we don't have a problem with [immigrants] still coming here LEGALLY. Some people get it wrong when they think we just want to close our borders to all. What we do have a problem with are the ILLEGAL Mexicans [migrants] not giving a damn about our laws or our country and just walking across the border from Mexico and DEMANDING rights, jobs and social services, causing hospitals to go bankrupt, our social security given to them that never put into it, while it's on the verge of going bankrupt and those of us that have put into it most of our lives may not see a penny of it, if it does. The ILLEGAL Mexicans (parasites) are putting our states into bankruptcy (just check out California for the best example). They come here, work illegally and send that money back to Mexico, taking away from our GDP and giving to Mexico's GDP. They are not interested in assimilating into America, they don't even care to learn our language. I could go on, but I hope I made my point.

I agree, but I want to add that, if we do force businesses to pay more, which may be the only right thing to do, it will cost us a lot more at the grocery store for lettuce, for example, but actually for almost all food. We make that choice with some foods when we buy them at whole foods stores and online sites that are dedicated to charging higher prices for some items in order to pay workers a decent wage in their own country, but this would not offer us an option. It would simply add an additional huge cost to all our home-grown foods. Same with companies that kill and dress meats and poultry for U.S. comsumption.

Yes you are right.... But if you are illegal and don't pay the same taxes as I do. Then how can any legal person compete with you....just saying....

I don't think anybody has a problem with a tax payer that wants to work.

I'll call BS on that.

And I call BS to your response as well. I too as well as many of my cohorts have traveled abroad countless times work related and for pleasure and I personally have been stopped at least 3 occasions and asked to show proper identifcation. My cohorts speak of simular experiences, this is nothing new. Each country has there own laws and procedures on how to enforce said laws. We would not have alot of the problems we face today if our beloved Gov would enforce the laws that they created.

I agree, but I want to add that, if we do force businesses to pay more, which may be the only right thing to do, it will cost us a lot more at the grocery store for lettuce, for example, but actually for almost all food. We make that choice with some foods when we buy them at whole foods stores and online sites that are dedicated to charging higher prices for some items in order to pay workers a decent wage in their own country, but this would not offer us an option. It would simply add an additional huge cost to all our home-grown foods. Same with companies that kill and dress meats and poultry for U.S. comsumption.

True but pick your poison.For what illegals cost in other area's to me far out way the increased price of goods.

Edited by caz1104