Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Generation Y Speaks Out on National Debt

Tiffany23

Some of you have read my posts before and know that I usually keep them light and breezy…except at times when I see a glaring misconception, and can no longer stand to sit by. You see, I value the Truth above all other things. So, I thought I would provide my two cents on what’s wrong with the American system and how we can bring down our national debt. Big Time! I will cover 11 or so areas where real savings can be found in the Military, Gov’t Programs, Social Security, Medicare, Law Suits, Capital Punishment and Welfare. Each one of these ideas would save Billions and many would save Hundreds of Billions if put into practice.

A bit about my credentials, so you won’t think I’m simply following in the footstep of Generation Y’s bubblehead icon: Britney Spears. I’m writing this as a person that has 3 college degrees; 2 BS and an MBA…all three are in business. I’ve also lived in 6 countries (UK, US, Germany, Japan, Canada and New Zealand), and have traveled to 76. Likewise, I accompanied my father, who is a AF General to over 40 military bases throughout the world. So when I provide these suggestions, it is based on both higher education and direct observations. These suggestions are also based on the fact that my generation, Generation Y, is the one that is going to be stuck holding the bag, this bag, of course, is our Colossal National Debt.

I’m going to hit almost all of the major Government programs, something the politicians won’t do, because, if they did, they woulen’t get re-elected. Most of you will not like some of what I’m going to say, some of you will not like anything I’m going to say, but to me, this is where the rubber meets the road and after all, my generation will have to deal with this mishap for the next 50-70 years.

Military: This 800 lbs gorilla is perhaps the most inefficient program ever conceived by mankind. We spend more money on our military than all other countries combined…over 5 times of what our biggest threat does, China. I have many ideas on how to save money in this area, but will restrict it to the major ones. First of all, most of the service men/women are required to move every 2-3 years, that’s just the way the system is set up. Each of these moves cost Uncle Sam somewhere around $40, 000 to over $60,000. This is ludicrous. In essence, it uproots military families and erodes corp knowledge. Instead, make the service member have to apply just like everyone else in the civilian Government for openings…and if they get it, they stay there as long as they want. But mandatory moves should be abolished. Billions saved.

Next, only war fighters that are put in immediate harm’s way should get Hazardous pay and the rest of the incredible benefits that we currently provide all military members. Anyone who has ever worked on a military budget knows that the largest percentage of your budget goes to human resources. Most Americans don’t understand just how lucrative it is for almost all members of the military. i.e. Housing allowances, free medical, free education, and an incredible retirement second to none….but these should only be for the members that are pulling the trigger. Most of the military and DOD civilians are providing logistics for the very small percentage of actual war fighters. And yet they still reap most of the same benefits. Instead, pay and benefits should be based on the risk these people are taking, similar to police…so if you are sitting behind a desk, then no more super benefits. Hundreds of Billions saved.

Government Acquisition System: The typical American taxpayer has no idea how many social-economical programs we have set up to spend on businesses owned by minorities. They are called small business set asides. What happens is that some conman slaps together a business and then gets a minority to run it..and the Government HAS to award contracts to them. The more checks you can get on the minority list, the more business you get. So if you can find a minority woman (Native American is at the top) who is a veteran…you will automatically get hooked up to the gravy train, you will get Gov’t business without having to have competitive prices. Small business set asides should immediately be banished and all government purchases should be full and open competition. Billions saved.

Next, most weapons systems require that we have subcontracts with foreign contractors, this one stipulation cost much more than if we simply make the entire system in the US. However, this strategy is deployed as a way to get them (the other countries) to buy our weapons. Major Weapons Contractors are one of the biggest PAC to our Congress; they are the ones that directly benefit. Did you know that the major components of the President’s helicopters are made in Italy? My father is in this business and he provided me with an example of a part that goes into the Stryker (one of the biggest line items in the Army budget) that crosses the ocean 7 times, back and forth into a larger and larger assembly before ultimately going into the vehicle. If you want another shining example of a waste, look up what it is costs us to field the Joint Strike Fighter…F-35 (over $200M each). Bring those requirements back to America. Hundreds of Billions saved.

Government Agencies: Right now, every Federal Gov’t worker gets an automatic promotion every 1, 2 or 3 years. If you are nothing more than a warm body behind a desk, you will get a promotion. And it is almost impossible to fire you. Oh and until this year, you also got an automatic inflation adjustment! Please understand that there are many hard working government employees (I’m one of them) but there are many that are not. Promotions should be on merit, not because you are in the system. The Gov’t tried this recently via NSPS, but it got pulled back due to Union involvement. Make is so the supervisor of federal employees can fire and promote their people like it’s done in the private sector. And no more automatic promotions! Billions saved.

Social Security: This was initially NOT set up to be a retirement account; it was set up to take care of people that got hurt or people that lost a bread winner, a form of insurance. However, it has evolved into a safety net that now millions of people rely on for basic retirement needs. Instead, these people should:

1. Be saving for their own retirement…right now under SS, I pay 6.2% of my pay and my employer matches that for a total of 12.4%. As a person who has advance degrees in portfolio management, I can tell you that if one puts that money into a balance portfolio for 40 years, you will have a very nice nest egg.

2. If you didn’t make enough during your life to have something to live on in retirement, then guess what? You made the wrong choices and you should have to live with that. Maybe you should do what they did in the old days (prior baby boom era)…go live with your kids.

I made the right decision in my youth; I don’t think I should have to supplement someone else that didn’t. End SS the ultimate ponzi schemes! Hundreds of Billions saved.

Medicare: According to research I’ve seen, the vast majority of our health care costs are incurred because we try to keep people alive much longer than what would be possible just a generation ago. In fact, we normally pay tens of thousands of dollars in medical cost during the last few months or weeks of a person’s life, just to keep them alive a little bit longer. Who pays for this? Mostly the taxpayer via mandatory Medicare deductions and higher insurance premiums. I’ve seen several studies that say up to 40% of Medicare cost are spent on the last month of a person’s life. This is skull numbing! :blink:

Why is it that when we see our pets in the last stages of their life, we do the humane thing and put Fluffy to sleep. Why isn’t euthanasia permitted? Again, if you can’t pay for the medical treatment between your savings and insurance, why do I, as a taxpayer get stuck with the bill? With the baby boomers retirement Tsunami headed our way, this is a financial train wreck if ever there was one. Hundreds of Billions saved.

Assisted Living: Again, prior to the Baby Boomers, when you got old and couldn’t care for yourselves, you went to live with your children. You were treated well, surrounded by people who you knew and loved you and you maintained a vital role in the family hierarchy. Now, as a society, we pack Grandma and Grandpa off to a nursing home..and have strangers take care of them, sometimes for decades. And many times they die alone…is that what YOU want when it comes your time?

No Lawsuits: Here in New Zealand, the Gov’t pays for all personal injuries…those caused by you or someone else. So if you hit someone with a car, the medical cost is covered by the Government. And they can’t sue you for their injuries. They can for damage to property, but only for the actual cost to replace or repair the damaged item. Can you imagine how much this would save the court system and how low insurance would be if America adopted this? The cost of doing business would plummet, no more liability worries to content with. Sue happy America would be a thing of the past. And the medical liability insurance for doctors wouldn’t be necessary anymore. Health care would be affordable!!! Hundreds of Billions would be saved.

Capital Punishment: After someone is found guilty by a jury of their peers of a capital offense, then it should be automatically reviewed by a panel of 3 judges. If they decide no mistakes were made, then execution should immediately take place. This would save billions of dollars in legal fees and court cost, but also substantial costs to house the prisoner during their appeals… appeals that could take decades. Due process doesn’t mean exhausting the process. Billions would be saved

Welfare: I’ve personally seen hundreds, if not thousands, of young women in the 18-24 age range, that are single moms living on welfare. One of the stipulations if they want to continue to get Government help, is they have to agree to have their tubes tied after 2 kids, along with proof that they are looking for a job. Same for young males on welfare, you father more than 2 kids, then snip snip for you. Why do I have to keep paying for someone that can’t keep their legs together? Billions would be saved

Conclusion: As I said at the beginning, these suggestions are based on my personal observations and what I have learned. Many countries in the world do those things I’ve listed above, which allow them to run their Governments without incurring the colossal National Debt that America does. If you noted, a familiar theme throughout this posting is:

Taking personal responsibility for you and your love ones.

These are capitalistic strategies that America was found on. However, I have no doubt I’ve hit a few raw nerves and am willing to debate any area that I discussed.

So whose yard did I poop in? :)

• Upvote 16
  • Downvote 2

hmm...beauty & brains! I jive with just about every idea! The trick, however, is getting enough collective political will to make these changes. But if only 1 of these ideas were to be implemented then there's hope to turning this country around. I think what would go a long way to at least moving in this direction would be to reform taxation and somehow control that spigot which feeds the "pig", which is government. By doing that we could truly bring about reform as there wouldn't be this seemingly endless supply to of money to fund these programs. Notice most of these programs/issues came about after the advent of the dubious legalization of federal taxation witht the passing of the 16th amendment in 1913! +1 th_smiley_two_thumbs_up.gifhttp://mises.org/etexts/rootofevilb.asp#CHAPTER_5

If you ran for a political office you would get my vote. I am afraid the people of the world would not take kindly to losing any entitlements. Without action as you suggested a train wreck is sure to follow. I believe it would be political suicide to even bring up any of your suggestions. Our system is broke and I don't see the politicians even trying to fix it. Until we have elected officials serve us again instead of trying to get on a gravy train for life nothing will ever be repaired. Example- Spend millions of dollars to get elected to a 100K job. To me that sums it up right there.

First lots of great food for thought. I credit Tiffany for original thought that needs to circulate through out the country.

Medicare: According to research I’ve seen, the vast majority of our health care costs are incurred because we try to keep people alive much longer than what would be possible just a generation ago. In fact, we normally pay tens of thousands of dollars in medical cost during the last few months or weeks of a person’s life, just to keep them alive a little bit longer. Who pays for this? Mostly the taxpayer via mandatory Medicare deductions and higher insurance premiums. I’ve seen several studies that say up to 40% of Medicare cost are spent on the last month of a person’s life. This is skull numbing! In my mind this is what Hospice does and we as a couple have do not resuscitation clauses in our living will. I believe this should be discussed in our educational system starting somewhere around a junior in high school. When we are just talking about the last month why spend money to have life exist if there is no quality to the life. But I am not talking about euthanasia here, just not sustaining life and allowing the individual to not suffer.

Why is it that when we see our pets in the last stages of their life, we do the humane thing and put Fluffy to sleep. Why isn’t euthanasia permitted? Again, if you can’t pay for the medical treatment between your savings and insurance, why do I, as a taxpayer get stuck with the bill? With the baby boomers retirement Tsunami headed our way, this is a financial train wreck if ever there was one. Hundreds of Billions saved.

Assisted Living: Again, prior to the Baby Boomers, when you got old and couldn’t care for yourselves, you went to live with your children. You were treated well, surrounded by people who you knew and loved you and you maintained a vital role in the family hierarchy. Now, as a society, we pack Grandma and Grandpa off to a nursing home..and have strangers take care of them, sometimes for decades. And many times they die alone…is that what YOU want when it comes your time? AGREED

No Lawsuits: Here in New Zealand, the Gov’t pays for all personal injuries…those caused by you or someone else. So if you hit someone with a car, the medical cost is covered by the Government. And they can’t sue you for their injuries. They can for damage to property, but only for the actual cost to replace or repair the damaged item. Can you imagine how much this would save the court system and how low insurance would be if America adopted this? The cost of doing business would plummet, no more liability worries to content with. Sue happy America would be a thing of the past. And the medical liability insurance for doctors wouldn’t be necessary anymore. Health care would be affordable!!! Hundreds of Billions would be saved. I do believe we need to revamp our lawsuits, but I believe your idea would be will modified to allow up to 3 or 5 times actual damages. I am not sure how this works in New Zealand so it may be that I totally agree.

Read more:

Thanks again for your original thoughts. This should be debated as a package and solve our problems. :) :) :)

Edited to improve readability.

Edited by Kanga
  • Upvote 1

In a perfect world if we actually had a real government of the people, most of this would not exist today. While most of what you say makes a lot of sense, unfortunately what we have today is all intentional and by design. Part of their plan has always been to spend as much as humanly possible to drive this world into total collapse. It is just part of the plan to accomplish their one world order.

BTW, your part on prisons, they are making billions off that system. You look at the cost involved but what you don't see and probably are not aware of is, this prison system is also structured by design to make billions off of. The longer they put someone in prison the more profitable it is for them. Every single case no matter how small or big is bonded and they makes tons of money off those bonds. Look into the C.R.I.S reports. Every court in the nation bonds every cases and then all those bonds get filtered through the State Administrative Office of the Courts, where they filter the bonds to a federal court in Texas, and all that money is being stashed away as profits where a percentage of it is going towards Judges retirements. It is big business and which is why the Unitred States has more prisoners than any other country on the planet. Same with family services where they are running a big scam through that system where they are stealing kids from parents and making big money off private adoptions along with many other things that would turn your stomach if you knew. We have one woman who is a grandmother where they took her 7 year old grandaughter away and she has been fighting for several years now trying to get her back. She found out they actually gave her grandaughter to woman who is a judge that adopted her and the courts have been just black walling her to keep her from getting her grandaughter back. There was also a woman who was a Senator that was exposing the fraud and corruption involved in all this and she was found murdered along with her husband.

Before this system can even begin to be fixed we first have to get our government back from this corporation that is running everything posing as our government.

As for paying for anything, the truth be known, we already did pay for everything. Everything is prepaid for by our labor. This country has been operating under a bankruptcy since 1933 and we can prove it. We also have judges that have admitted to it and we actually have one federal judge when questioned about his oath openly admitted that his oath is to the crown.

Our problems run much much deeper than just their wasteful spending and until we can fix the root of the problem we aren't going to get this country back and restore it back to its original republican form of government we are suppose to have.

BTW....you said your father is a AF General? Does he know anything about this RV? LOL

• Upvote 1

Tiffany... Tiffany... Tiffany, you my dear don't need handcuffs to hold a captive audience!wink.gif Seriously though, I agree with you on many of your points.. and that says a lot considering no two people (even married couples) will agree on everything. Like someone once told me... "if two people agree on everything... one of them isn't necessary!!!" rolleyes.gif

Some of these issues that you are bringing up make sense on the surface but are much larger in scope than you may think. For instance, I personally have no problem with taking care of parents... except my mother in law.. she is waaaaayyyyyy to negative! tongue.gif Most households require two incomes, that would make it hard to watch another aging adult within the home. Maybe the solution there would be to get a handle on prudent spending practices and live within our means better.

Euthanasia is a hotly debated topic, and borders on "playing God". I do however agree that we try to delay the inevitable... why??? We all die, what are we afraid of? Why should it matter if it is tomorrow or next month??? Maybe a panel of doctors should be consulted to see if said medical procedures were done to the patient it might significantly extend the length of the patients life making it worth the effort... but spending say $250,000 on a procedure that only buys the patient a few short months of "questionable" life extension... then I am with you on that one. My dad had cancer surgery that maybe bought him an extra few months. It gave him time to make his peace with God, but I am sure that would have still happened without the surgery, and their was no "quality of life" after the surgery... that was something we should have been told before the surgery. I for one have made my peace with God no matter when I did it is cool, so I wouldn't opt for chemo therapy or any of that garbage if it came to that.

You tackle some tough issues young lady. Keep it up, stay open minded, and speak your peace. Take care!biggrin.gif

• Upvote 1

Why is it that when we see our pets in the last stages of their life, we do the humane thing and put Fluffy to sleep. Why isn’t euthanasia permitted?

Tiffy, my dear friend, euthanasia is the only idea, about which, you and I disagree. You are my friend and I love your very valid and valuable ideas, but my parents and fluffy are different. Fluffy has only been an existential facet of my life and other than the wonderful joys of unconditional love and devotion, Fluffy was a pretty big drain on my resources as a matter of my choice. My parents however, nurtured and loved me to adulthood and were the major influences in whom I have become...

Loved your ideas. Terrific post Doll.

B)

P.S. I don't wish to be on life support to delay an inevitable outcome. If I'm unplugged too soon, "My God shall supply all my need according to His riches in glory..."

• Upvote 3

EXCELLENT POST!.. I would add drug testing to those who are on welfare. Dirty test = no welfare = BILLIONS saved and people forced to clean up their lives, assume responsibility and become a contributor to society rather than a parasite.

• Upvote 4

People with Degrees are the ones that got us into this mess. We don't need MBA's PHD's and BS(and I do have a BS) to solve this problem. We need leaders with morals, first and foremost that walks with GOD, then everything else falls into place. Generation x needs their arses kicked for raising Gen Y wanting for naught.(me included) You can't get Y to work for the most part, they think their owed something. The school system is a joke, college degrees are way overrated and to expensive and heap debt onto the student. Why?.......thank your Fed GOVERMENT for that, everything they touch turns to shiite. Dept. of Education should be axed along with the EPA and a host of other egg sucking tax wasting agencies under the Federal umbrella that intrude into our livesangry.gif ...........whoa.........I feel better nowrolleyes.gif

• Upvote 7

Thanks Pebbs! This country requires MAJOR paradigm shifting to get back on track. We just keep chasing after it pretending the room is clean although all the crap is stuffed under the bed, in the closet, and even behind the gaps in the drywall at this point. It's like watching that show Hoarders and wondering why the people keep bringing home more crap. Hello??? Anyone see a parable there? It comes down to everyone being willing to sacrifice some things and curbing your/our own behavior within that new alignment. It is about people becoming conscious and realizing we are at the mercy of wanting to want. Forget need... it gets fulfilled and we just want something else afterward.

Ever notice how afraid we have set up our system of hurting others feelings or leaving people out? Even people that enter our country illegally? Whereby taking jobs, which also take away tax revenue, which also takes away money in circulation because much of it goes back to their native countries? We teach them English, we give them social services, we let them get mortgages with down payment and closing costs rolled in on top...and then we bail them out when they foreclose. What the h*ll happened? When did we become so overly sensitive that we lost our freaking brains in the process?

Loved your post! Some are a bit radical but radical ideas are exactly what need to take place to start the paradigm shift. Recognizing the ego within is the first step towards becoming present or conscious. What you point out has the same effect for a nation. It is time to wake from our dizzy slumber America!

• Upvote 1

I care for my mom now and wouldn't have it any other way. When my grandmother was older she lived with my mom and dad........I am a true advocate of taking the responsibility to care for our parents.......there are so many people out there that don't want anything to do with their parents when they get older...they shove them in a nursing home because it might infringe on their way of life. However, they are loosing out on some of the most precious moments they could experience......life is given to us for meaning and purpose and just because someone gets older doesn't mean they don't contribute to family experiences or just the fun loving love they bring to the family....... . Good post Tiffany!

Edited by kmseeker
  • Upvote 1

EXCELLENT POST!.. I would add drug testing to those who are on welfare. Dirty test = no welfare = BILLIONS saved and people forced to clean up their lives, assume responsibility and become a contributor to society rather than a parasite.

I heard florida just became the first state to require drug testing for welfare :)

Yeah not so much on the killing grandma scenario, HOWEVER, having worked for hospice it's not about prolonging the inevitable its about making sure that you don't die in unneccesary pain.... I have a living will letting my family know that i don't want to be intubated and i think more people should set things up so their loved ones know their choices taking out of the hands of courts and costly programs...

Young lady, your comments were very well stated - and I could not agree more. I also happen to agree for random drug testing for welfare receipients.

I am astounded - not by your intelligence (smart cookie!), but by your wisdon for your age

Until more people - especially those under the age of 40 - are properly educated and dragged out of their personal dream world, progess will be for naught.

The sad fact is that politicains ARE more concerned with re-election than any thing else.

A budget cut for the Federal Gov't is simply that we only get a 4.5% increase this year instead of a 6.9% increase - never never never less.

Let' start with a 10% cut across the board... for everything - all programs.

There will always be a strong-willed fight from those groups that benefit from socio-economic programs that reward for a lack of beneficial input into the system - and especially the people that represent said groups (the loud mouth blow-hards looking to make a name & become wealthy). Most believe it is their right - and we as a culture made it this way.

Don't work? Can't eat. Can't work? Then - and only then we will help.

Can't find a job? Well, let us look to those people & programs that tax American companies so hard that the majority of manufacturing goes over seas.

Fair trade - NOT 100-to-4 (The average number of shipping containers arriving at American ports vs. those being shipped to other countries.

In our search for the ever lower prices, we have completely cut ourselves out of the manufacturing segment - just look at the textiles industries for an example.

Help begins at hope. Quit trying to purchase every govenment's bidding and favors, for the return on investment is in the RED.

IMHO the ONLY country that has it together right now is Germany. Now, if people would wake up & pay attention(??????????)

OK, abbreviated rant over now :D

• Upvote 1

Tiffany,

Let me first say I can live with the vast majority of what you said minus one area... The military pay and benefits... Let me say I was medically retired from an injury suffered while serving in Iraq, so I have some knowledge of the issues,,, The so called war fighter or person pulling the trigger would not survive 10 minutes without the support you portray as worth less than they are... Second just because they are not a trigger puller does not mean they will not be in harm’s way... If you look at the jobs of the people who were killed in combat in our most recent wars the vast majority killed are not trigger pullers...

Also, how many soldiers do you think would put up with the crap of being in the military if they did not have the benefits you wish to get rid of... We would lose our all volunteer military and be forced to put the draft in place sort of like Israel has right now... Things are not as sexy as you make them either when it comes to benefits... When I injured my knee it took 4 months to get surgery on it, so much for that great medical coverage you talk about... Plus now I cannot run anymore and you know what I can do about the doctor that did not do my knee surgery correct NOTHING I have no recourse because it was that sexy medical coverage you talk about...

I agree with you 100% about the forced moves after 2-3 years, however I would just increase the stay time to 5-7 years at one location before being forced to move... It would be almost impossible to keep a well oiled leadership of the military without allowing them to get different experiences thus requiring them to move a few times in their career... Thus my oldest son would not have been to 6 schools in his first 6 years of education! Also one last thing your numbers of 40.000 to 60,000 are significantly off most PCS moves only run about 10,000-12,000 but still a significant savings nonetheless...

Now if you really want to find savings for the military there is only one place you need to look outside of weapon system thoughts which I find outstanding... The GSA catalog that we must purchase the vast majority of our supplies from... A $15 coffee maker cost us upwards of $54 in the GSA catalog... This is just the start we overpay for so much of our supplies due to contracts and such that well are horrible...

I think your biggest mistake is making assumptions about the military because you have never served yourself.. If you had served maybe you would understand the benefits the SOLDIERS have which are who you would take them away from would have to live on less than poverty level... Did you know that an E-4 with a family of 4 makes enough including housing allowance, and other benefits that they still need Food Stamps to survive! (AND THE QUALIFY on INCOME BASIS) I have actually commanded Soldiers and I know they struggles they face so please look at making things more efficient and looking at how we spend our money on supplies rather than trying to cut a Soldiers benefits because without those we will have to have a DRAFT again and I know no one wants that because people like you would like the choice of not having to serve their country in the military if they choose not to!

Let me just say I appreciate your thoughts and like the vast majority of your ideas, and there is a lot of "FAT" that could be trimmed from the military, however the benefits of a Soldier is hardly one that we should focus on... This is not from observation, but from personal experience... Keep up the good work maybe we can get some politicians to actually listen to some of your ideas...

IraqiVet 05-07

• Upvote 4

I kindly thank all of you for your responses. Last night when I posted them, I didn't know how they would go over...as I know I had, as Drox stated, some rather radical ideas....which Drox knowing me, probably wasn't too surprised. :P

As always, when I get feedback, I learn something. I see my euthanasia comment was the most strongly topic debated...several of my friends commented upon that one...which is not surprising....can't think of an issue that includes death and a love one that is easy.

Kanga...yes, hospice is an INCREDIBLE organization, I fully support what they do and agree that if people had living wills, that would be a great help...maybe we should make it mandatory that when you do sign up for medicare, that you fill one out. Furball...I note that you don't want to do Granny in, but you don't want to live on yourself...I think that is how most of us feel, we love our family and couldn't dream of having to pull their plug...and yet, we want to spare our loved ones from having to make that decision for us...catch 22 if no one is willing to sign off on a living will.

PartyTime....I did not realize how lurcrative the criminal system is...thank you for opening my eyes..and proves the point even more how much would be saved if my suggestion was acted upon. But like you said, little chance of that.

Love the drug testing for welfare...that is so obvious that I gleamed over it...but absolutely!

IraqVet...to be honest, your response was the one that I knew was coming and was someone dreading. But you were most kind in your approach. Americans by nature are a VERY patrotic people, in my experience, only the Irish match us in love of country. So to even bring up sometype of limitation on our warfighter is political suicide. But what I'm saying is that we are taking basically an unskilled person and providing them step by step training, that most private industries would go broke providing...especially when you tack on the incredible fringe benefits. This doesnt exist in the market place, no one is going to give an unskilled worker what the Gov't does. If Americans don't want to do it, others will.

Let me give you an example, many American's don't realize that if foreigners wish to join the US Navy they can...and when they do, it is a fast track to US Citizenship. If you go to the US Navy ports in San Diego, you will think you are into downtown Manila. By joining the US Navy, these men are now considered to be upper middle class in their homeland.

The idea of having a forced draft as they do in most of Europe has occured to me. But I know that it is so far from happening, as America would never allow it, that why even research it.

I did check on the PCS numbers before I quoted $40-$60K, but am glad that you atleast agree with the theory. And I inturn agree that my idea is not "sexy", Touche'. Again, Thank you for taking it easy on me, I know you could have been much tougher

Thanks again everyone for taking time to read my "War and Peace" posting and for your Awesome feedback. You have given me more to research and think upon.

Peace. :)

• Upvote 2

Yeah, well... I don't normally think of euthanasia as a simple issue. In my mind, euthanasia is where a panel of unaffected persons make a life ending decision. My father has already passed through the veil and my mother has stated her wishes. I know she does not wish to be a burden to anyone. My brother and sister have agreed that we will honor her wishes if the occassion presents itself. I have stated my wishes also, but I do NOT want any government representative to make a decision for my family. I know it is a feeble distinction to make, but it makes all the difference to me. Euthanasia is a cold concept. Honoring the wishes of my loved ones is an act of selfless love. B)

Your point is well taken and duly noted.

Furball

• Upvote 1

I agree!!!!!!!!

:lol::blink:

First:, i wanna say ,it's great you are aware of the wolves in the woods so to speak .But what's your solution? It's easy to identify the obvious .We have a corupted Govt. System and it needs to be changed .

First we need to put term limits on all so called public servant's ,including the supreme court .Second :we need a real tax base not the top 20% earners in The USa Flat tax on everthing sold 1%-2%.That way every drug dealer ,illeagal alien ,tourist,resident,that walks on two leg's pay's into the system.More than 44% of america payed no taxes at all since around 1980.The poorer working class and those that don't work at all.

Third : your comment's on Social security are some what in correct.Watch the speach the president gave before he signed into law.It's on the history channle about the great depression, and the start of ww 2.The baby boomers have paid into it more than any other Generation as well as mine ,"the sons and daughter's of the baby boom gen. ".Ten thousand a day are entering the ss system.

And hey they've taken 15% of my money and used it for 30 years .I'm self employed.Just think how much i would have in the bank if i had just saved the money instead of the govt.I earn a good living .Exept the last 5 yrs always over 80,000 usally under 225,000 Net.

So excuse some of us for feeling entitled to the benifit's we paid for! That includes medicare! 30Yr's i paid my dues and many have paid more .Doing the right thing as you put it!

The Fourth thing I want change is your veiw poin't on something! All of my decendant's on my family tree are scandinavin[mostly norway or sweden] or native american.Although Ive never lived on a Reservation. I have been to more than one.If any American deserves a helping hand from the govt. it's the rightful owners to the land the european settler's stole with military supperior weapon's!The European migration, and the birth Of The United States, and it's Freedom's were paid for by the Desimation of an estimated 18 million Native American,s and over an estimated Six hundred different tribes, in less than a 100 yr period .I could tell you stories ; but that's not the point.My only living grand father was a master Sergent in WW2 landed in Italy .His first command post was musilinis castle where they trained his so called super men.[itallion SS] His infantry i beleive pushed all the way to Germany.Little rusty on that though he only talked to any one in the family about it twice. He rode a horse to school and knows how to fix and change a wooden wagon wheel.There is alway's, an us, and them in life.You just have to decide who you are! Part of a solution or the problem! By the way, Don't wear that Government badge with to much pride .There are 300,000 million in America and 600 people make the decisions for us all. Then there is at least 100,000 or many more Govt. workers employed.That Govt . badge will only let us know what side your on, and what to aim at when the whole house of cards comes tumbling down.

[That would be the us ] you know the ones who arn't as educated , well travelled,and mentally and morally superior as you!

:lol: Have a great Day! i hope ive reminded you of something.You certainly have reminded me of some truth's

• Upvote 2

Gator,

As far as 1, and 2....I couldn't agree more with you! You are 100% correct.

As far as 3, I clearly understand where you are coming from...and what you are saying is exactly what will keep us runing this horse into the ground. Everyone who works and pays into SS, knows it's a farce...and yet, they don't want to change it because they want what they have contributed. :blink: What Congress usually does in these circumstances, is to make the changes take place gradually, and grandfather in those who are currently in the system. I would certainly be willing to accept a weaning off the SS tet, than to keep the training running down the dead end track. So lets get it going.

Not sure what to think about number 4, my great grandfather was a Cree, so I too have Native American bloodline. If you look over my previous posts, you would see that I have very strong feelings for what the Native Americans went thru...and how they were treated. So pls don't think I don't appreciate what you are saying. The point is, if we want to save our country from going belly up, we have to buy things at prices determine by the market not based on who our ancestors were, right?

The one comment that disturbs me is your comment:

[That would be the us ] you know the ones who arn't as educated , well travelled,and mentally and morally superior as you!

I tried very hard to walk the line between being seen as someone that knows something about what I was talking about, and yet humble. I am sorry if I failed, as it is not my way to boast. I find that often my age will naturally make people suspect that I do not know what I am talking about...and to be honest, being a woman, more so. So again, pls accept my apologies if I can across as high and mighty. I am not, I'm just a girl, trying to make a difference.

All in all, your comments were very fair and I appreciate your feedback.

Tiffy :)

NO S**T !!!!!