Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

AP FACT CHECK: Trump says US Steel opening mills. Not so

3 minutes ago, rw.sutton said:

some cant see the changes that have been made, on a weekly basis

I see them daily...

Trump's tax cuts will widen the trade deficit and hurt GDP

The U.S. trade deficit in June widened by $3.2 billion and Trump’s own policies could be to blame.

After narrowing for three straight months, the U.S. trade balance with the rest of the world expanded in June to $46.3 billion as exports slowed. Exports rose sharply in prior months as the potential impacts from tariffs imposed by the Trump administration were front-run.

Economists at Barclays see Friday’s report as a harbinger of things to come, as the tax cuts boosting the U.S. economy will continue to grow imports while exports growth is likely to slow as firms deal with the impact of tariffs. Imports subtract from the GDP calculation while exports add to GDP growth.

“The widening in the trade deficit in June, after three consecutive months of narrowing, suggests that some of the transitory factors that drove those trends are starting to fade,” Barclays said in a note to clients on Friday.

“We expect the trade deficit to continue to widen, as a fiscal-stimulus led boost to demand leads to higher imports. As a result, trade is likely to subtract from GDP growth in the coming quarters, reversing the significant positive contribution recorded in Q2.”

And so as Yahoo Finance has written before, tax cuts could end up working against Trump’s efforts to bring down the U.S. trade deficit, which in 2017 totaled $570 billion.

Trade actions could also limit GDP growth in the quarters ahead alongside this tax cut boost.

In the second quarter, the U.S. economy grew at an annualized rate of 4.1%, the fastest pace of growth since 2014. This number got a positive boost from trade, with the surge in exports during the quarter adding 1% to growth.

“Much of the rise in exports was driven by Chinese imports of soybeans, which we believe reflects a reaction to potential imposition of tariffs,” Barclays said last week in response to the GDP number. “Hence, we do not expect the trade deficit to narrow further in Q3 and, instead, look for it to begin to widen.”

On Friday, Trump’s chief economic advisor Larry Kudlow told Bloomberg TV that the administration will keep pressing China for trade reform after China on Friday announced a list of $60 billion in U.S. goods that will be impacted by a new tariff. This action isn’t likely to help exports that were already set to decline in the current quarter.

And while the balance of trade’s negative impact on GDP is an accounting entry as much as it reflects an economy that is actually softer, a centerpiece of Trump’s economic policy and the main impetus for his trade actions is to get this number down.

Pompeo defends Trump foreign policy in hearing, even if he can’t say what it is

WASHINGTON — The hearing was just about over when Sen. Robert Menendez, D-N.J., finally lost his temper. “If President Obama did what President Trump did in Helsinki, I’d be peeling you off the Capitol ceiling,” Menendez said, gesturing forcefully with a pencil. Seated before him was Secretary of State Michael Pompeo, who had spent three hours testifying to the Senate Foreign Relations Committee about the recent summit between Trump and Russian President Vladimir Putin in the Finnish capital, as well as denuclearization talks with North Korea and other matters.

As the blowup by Menendez indicated, Democrats left the hearing unsatisfied. “I really don’t believe, Mr. Secretary, you know what happened during the president’s two-plus hour conversation with President Putin,” Menendez said acidly. “And I really don’t know much more about the summit after sitting here for three hours than I did before.”

Pompeo looked on grimly, then proceeded to dismiss some of the questions directed at him by Democrats as partisan “silliness.” Prior to joining the Trump administration, initially as the director of Central Intelligence, Pompeo was a Republican congressman from Kansas. He became secretary of State after Rex Tillerson, the former oil executive, was chased out of Foggy Bottom in March.

Pompeo’s role on Wednesday afternoon was to paint the Trump administration’s foreign policy toward Russia, North Korea, Syria and the rest of the world as coherent and consistent. But as he sat down in the packed Dirksen Senate Office Building hearing room, Pompeo had to know this would be no easy task.

The first hints came during the opening statement by the committee chairman, Sen. Bob Corker, R-Tenn., a not-infrequent critic of the president. While praising Pompeo’s leadership, Corker expressed “serious doubts about this White House and its conduct of American foreign policy.” He said that Trump had been “submissive and deferential” in the press conference that followed their summit in Helsinki, at which no other officials were present. Corker also said that there had been “zero clarity” on the import tariffs Trump has placed or threatened to impose. And he characterized the outcome of June’s meeting with North Korean president Kim Jong Un as “a vague agreement of promises to make more promises.”

Pompeo sought, for his part, to reassure the legislators before him. That reassurance was two-pronged and, as such, contradictory: Pompeo described Trump as fully in control of American foreign policy, but at the same time said that the president’s statements on Twitter or in interviews should not be taken as expression of what American foreign policy was or would be. He presumably was referring to friendly overtures to Putin and dismissals of concern about Russian electoral interference, as well as a recent interview with Tucker Carlson of Fox News in which he suggested — by using the example of Montenegro — that the United States might abandon the joint defense doctrine that is the centerpiece of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization.

Mike Pompeo

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo testifies before a Senate Foreign Relations Committee hearing. (Photo: Aaron Bernstein/Reuters)
More

As evidence that the State Department wasn’t taking cues from Fox News pundits or presidential tweets, Pompeo pointed to the Crimea Declaration, issued that afternoon, reaffirming that “the United States rejects Russia’s attempted annexation of Crimea and pledges to maintain this policy until Ukraine’s territorial integrity is restored.” He also listed a number of tough measures taken against Russia, including what he described as the levying of 213 separate sanctions, the expulsion of 60 Russian diplomats, the closing of Russian consulates in San Francisco and Seattle and the continuation of military exercises in Europe.

And though Trump only ever haltingly admitted that Russia interfered with the 2016 presidential election, and has conflated that interference with “collusion” between the Trump campaign and Russia, Pompeo averred that Trump “has a complete and proper understanding of what happened. I know. I briefed him on it for over a year.”

Though he has earned respect from Democrats and Republicans alike, on Wednesday afternoon, Pompeo seemed more eager to defend Trump’s foreign policy in the abstract than to grapple with its wild swings and contradictions. He described a process of “patient diplomacy” with Pyongyang, while conceding North Korea’s commitment to abandoning its close-to-realized nuclear ambitions remains difficult to gauge. And though NATO members might be pleased to hear Pompeo call their organization “an indispensable pillar of American national security,” that is unlikely to eclipse memories of Trump berating NATO members in Brussels for not meeting their defense obligations.

Democrats had plainly hoped for more. They may have also been annoyed by Pompeo’s not especially subtle insinuations that Trump’s foreign policy, on Russia in particular, was more muscular and effective than that of his Democratic predecessor, Barack Obama. And they grew frustrated by Pompeo’s unwillingness — or inability — to say what Putin and Trump had discussed in Helsinki. In an extraordinary turn, the two leaders met in private, with only interpreters present. It is not known if Trump has briefed Pompeo and other senior administration officials on what he and Putin discussed..

That made Pompeo’s assurances — whether on Russia, Syria or North Korea — ring hollow. Trump is known to favor his own counsel, to listen to Fox News pundits like Sean Hannity much more closely than he does to seasoned diplomats. And his tweets are often the purest expression of his will, not just the casual musings Pompeo and others have tried to make them out to be.

“While your statements have been clear, our president’s statements have confused our allies, encouraged our adversaries and have failed to be comparably clear,” said Chris Coons, D-Del.

And though Republicans, with the exception of Corker, were not nearly so tough on Pompeo, three hours of Democratic grilling took their toll. Shortly after Menendez concluded his outburst — a “political soliloquy,” in Pompeo’s estimation — the senator from New Jersey asked Pompeo if he had a comment on the idea of asking the American translator at the Putin summit to appear before the Senate Foreign Relations committee and tell the senators what was discussed.

Pompeo glowered. “Not a word,” he said

Republicans denounce Trump plan for 'welfare' for farmers hit by tariffs

In attempting to patch things up with farmers hurt by the trade war he initiated, President Trump managed to anger both farm-state Republicans who say their constituents would rather sell their crops than collect a government subsidy — and representatives of non-farm states saying, “How about us?”

Trump on Tuesday announced a $12 billion bailout for American farmers whose export markets have been hit by retaliatory tariffs from China.

President Trump

Photo: Ron Sachs/CNP via ZUMA Wire
More

“You have a terrible policy that sends farmers to the poorhouse, and then you put them on welfare, and we borrow the money from other countries,” Sen. Bob Corker, R-Tenn., told reporters in Washington Tuesday. “It’s hard to believe there isn’t an outright revolt right now in Congress.”

Alaska Sen. Lisa Murkowski also bristled about singling out farmers who are already feeling the negative effects of Trump’s escalating trade war with China and the European Union.

“What about the manufacturing sector? What about the energy sector? The oil and gas industries?” Murkowski said Tuesday. “Where do you draw the line? I’ve got some real concerns.”

Already miffed by the president’s actions on trade, adding subsidies for farmers is seen by many Republicans in Congress as making an unfortunate situation worse.

“This trade war is cutting the legs out from under farmers and White House’s ‘plan’ is to spend $12 billion on gold crutches,” Sen. Ben Sasse, R-Neb., told the New York Times. “This administration’s tariffs and bailouts aren’t going to make America great again, they’re just going to make it 1929 again.”

Sen. Ron Johnson, R-Wis., also broke with the president over the targeted assistance to farmers. 

The president, meanwhile, pushed his $12 billion plan at a speech in Kansas City, Mo., before the Veterans of Foreign Wars, just hours after he assured Americans that his own Republican colleagues were mistaken about tariffs.

Trump warned his audience “what you’re seeing and what you’re reading is not what’s happening,” and that “farmers will be the biggest beneficiary” of his implementation of tariffs. 

“Watch,” Trump said. “We’re opening up markets. You watch what’s going to happen. Just be a little patient.”

So far, the Trump administration has imposed tariffs on $34 billion in Chinese goods, inviting retaliatory tariffs from Beijing on imports, including U.S. soybeans and pork. Trump has also threatened to levy duties on another $500 billion on Chinese products, a move that would likely result in stronger actions by China.

To drive his point home that his critics were wrong and that “trade wars are good and easy to win,” Trump also pinned blame on a familiar target.

“Don’t believe the crap you see from these people, the fake news,” he said, spurring boos from the crowd aimed at reporters in attendance.

• Downvote 1

20 minutes ago, bostonangler said:

And where does it say they are opening 7 new plants????

Did Teflon Don just make that up? Is that a lie? This is great news, why not just stick with the truth? That is the point. Things are going well, why try and blow it out of proportion? Had The Donald said "Hey USS is adding 800 jobs" It would be a great sound bite, but nope he has to lie and make it something not true. Can anyone explain the reasoning behind that? It would be like your kid having 2 A's and 3 B's  in school and telling you he had straight A's what's the point, the truth comes out on report card day.

B/A

Sure seems like you have a Burr under your saddle today... What exactly is  your big dissatisfaction with Trump? Is it because HRC lost?.....perhaps it is finance envy?.....perhaps you wish you could play golf as often as he does....?

Why is it you are so negative on Trump?.....it isn't even glass half full.....your glass is laying on the floor.....busted into a million pieces....I feel badly for you....it must be very difficult for you to get through the day with all of your worries and concerns about the sitting President of the US....Sucks to be you I guess???   CL

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 6

Trump gets credit for making all these great things happen. Are you going to give him credit when the markets crash? When global trade deals are made without us and we sit on an island? How about when you're flipping burgers for a living because corporations say screw Americans? It will be on his watch.

B/A

• Downvote 7

5 minutes ago, coorslite21 said:

Sure seems like you have a Burr under your saddle today... What exactly is  your big dissatisfaction with Trump? Is it because HRC lost?.....perhaps it is finance envy?.....perhaps you wish you could play golf as often as he does....?

Why is it you are so negative on Trump?.....it isn't even glass half full.....your glass is laying on the floor.....busted into a million pieces....I feel badly for you....it must be very difficult for you to get through the day with all of your worries and concerns about the sitting President of the US....Sucks to be you I guess???   CL

Because he blatantly lies and people drink his Kool-Aid. Now come on CL you have to know by now I didn't vote for Clinton. And I play plenty of golf. Nope my example above is why... USS announces 800 jobs and Trump says 7 factories... Why? Even more so, why do some Americans not care? He has great stuff accomplished since being in office but he always makes crap up to make himself look bad when the truth comes out. Why?

And explain to me why it was bad to bailout auto makers saving tens of thousands of jobs, but it is ok to bailout farmers? I'm not saying I was for any bailouts, I'm just saying those who flipped out over the automaker bailouts now are cool with the farmer bailouts? Why.. How is it different... Jobs is jobs...

B/A

Edited by bostonangler
  • Downvote 3

28 minutes ago, bostonangler said:

I'm sorry what was I wrong about? Please enlighten me to the truth. I would like to see the light.

B/A

:facepalm1:You can't handle the light :facepalm1:

You rather swirl in the evil darkness where demonic sinister forces compel all to hate and believe the lies of their master Maxine Waters. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

34 minutes ago, bostonangler said:

Trump gets credit for making all these great things happen. Are you going to give him credit when the markets crash? When global trade deals are made without us and we sit on an island? How about when you're flipping burgers for a living because corporations say screw Americans? It will be on his watch.

B/A

Well the markets do travel in cycles, so yes it will go down... probably even crash ... I think to US is a large enough economy to pretty much dictate trade, if the government chooses to do so... I doubt that I'll be flipping burgers in the future ....And for the most part American corporations place a value on their employees ...they don't try to screw them..... But then again my glass is not broken...CL

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 5

36 minutes ago, bostonangler said:

Because he blatantly lies and people drink his Kool-Aid. Now come on CL you have to know by now I didn't vote for Clinton. And I play plenty of golf. Nope my example above is why... USS announces 800 jobs and Trump says 7 factories... Why? Even more so, why do some Americans not care? He has great stuff accomplished since being in office but he always makes crap up to make himself look bad when the truth comes out. Why?

And explain to me why it was bad to bailout auto makers saving tens of thousands of jobs, but it is ok to bailout farmers? I'm not saying I was for any bailouts, I'm just saying those who flipped out over the automaker bailouts now are cool with the farmer bailouts? Why.. How is it different... Jobs is jobs...

B/A

Big banks and auto were bailed out...... Now the farmers...... My own personal opinion is it would be hard to eat a car...... Easier to eat to worthless fiat paper dollars...... But I go with bailing out the farmers because I need the food.... as to who you voted for... I don't care..... I suppose you believe HRC would have made a superior president to Trump...?....that's your problem!...

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 5

7 hours ago, bostonangler said:

Turn on your brain... He is a liar. He lies when there is no need to lie. I think there is a word for that.

B/A

Another example of u being un-biased I see......You talk about Trump lying ........u should look in the mirror once in awhile......still waiting for a list of posts where you condemned Barry or Hildabeast - smh

Edited by caz1104
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Seems the Trump Derangement Syndrome is running extreme high around here lately....I guess with Trump Winning so much for the American People and MAGA the left is in full blown melt down mode and fabricating Fake News about just about anything they can come up with.

I saw where some liberal candidate from Oregon even that the nerve to come out and call the 1st Lady a Prostitute.  No one is calling for him to drop out of the race like no one has the balls to stand up to the left these days....but they have done that for the last 8 years when they let obama destroy this country.

Karsten

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, bostonangler said:

B/A

"people drink his Kool-Aid".....very rich for someone with fell in love with Barry and bought all of his & Hildabeast "Kool-Aid" without any problem. MSM & the left love "sheep" like your self

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Karsten said:

Seems the Trump Derangement Syndrome is running extreme high around here lately....I guess with Trump Winning so much for the American People and MAGA the left is in full blown melt down mode and fabricating Fake News about just about anything they can come up with.

I saw where some liberal candidate from Oregon even that the nerve to come out and call the 1st Lady a Prostitute.  No one is calling for him to drop out of the race like no one has the balls to stand up to the left these days....but they have done that for the last 8 years when they let obama destroy this country.

Karsten

Barry has apologized for apologizing for his apology that he apologized for during an apology

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bostonangler said:

enlighten me to the truth. 

Is the glass of water half full or half empty? It doesn’t matter what your “perspective “ is....i may think the glass is half full....thats one “perspective “....i may think the glass is half empty....that’s another “perspective “....perspectives can change with emotions.....but it doesn’t change the fact that its a glass and it has water in it....that is TRUTH....jmo

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, thomas2553 said:

Is the glass of water half full or half empty? It doesn’t matter what your “perspective “ is....i may think the glass is half full....thats one “perspective “....i may think the glass is half empty....that’s another “perspective “....perspectives can change with emotions.....but it doesn’t change the fact that its a glass and it has water in it....that is TRUTH....jmo

It seems B/A's glass is broken and empty.....but so is the party he/she supports....even though he/she denys it.....B/A...what is your gender?.....I am a "he"....CL

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 5

9 hours ago, coorslite21 said:

It seems B/A's glass is broken and empty.....but so is the party he/she supports....even though he/she denys it.....B/A...what is your gender?.....I am a "he"....CL

Agreed CL.....it seems he/she “perspective is constantly negative.  Even when shown “truth”.  Tha last gasps of a dying entity. And when i say entity i mean the major news outlets....as always jmo

• Upvote 2

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 10:49 PM, coorslite21 said:

BA constantly tells me he/she is un-biased......posts state otherwise. Not sure why it's so hard to man/woman up and put forth his/her TRUE beliefs....hiding under the guise but posting differently is chicken Shiite IMO

• Upvote 4