Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Oops. Hired an illegal and he's out!

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump's nominee for labor secretary abruptly withdrew his nomination Wednesday after Senate Republicans balked at supporting him, in part over taxes he belatedly paid on a former housekeeper not authorized to work in the United States.

Fast food executive Andrew Puzder said in a statement provided to The Associated Press that he was "honored to have been considered by President Donald Trump to lead the Department of Labor."

Democrats and their allies rejoiced over Puzder's withdrawal, saying his corporate background and opposition to such proposals as a big hike in the minimum wage made him an unfit advocate for American workers at the top of an agency charged with enforcing protections.

They also made it clear that Puzder's statements about women and his own workers would be major issues at his planned confirmation hearing Thursday.

"Workers and families across the country spoke up loud and clear that they want a true champion for all workers in the Labor Department," said Sen. Patty Murray, the ranking Democrat on the panel that was to handle the hearing.

What troubled majority Republicans most of all was Puzder's acknowledgement that he had not paid taxes on the housekeeper until after Trump nominated him to the Cabinet post Dec. 9 — five years after he had fired the worker.

They also grumbled about the Trump administration's failure to more thoroughly check its nominee's background. It wasn't immediately clear whether Puzder had been up front with the White House about the housekeeper when Trump picked him, and a spokesman did not immediately return a call for comment.

Ultimately, Republicans made it clear that Puzder did not have the votes for confirmation.

One senator, speaking on condition of anonymity because the conversations were private, said six senators had asked the White House to call off Puzder's scheduled Thursday hearing because they couldn't see themselves voting for him. That would have put the nomination in jeopardy, since Senate Republicans have only a 52-48 majority and Democrats are solidly opposed.

Puzder's spokesman said the nominee had paid the taxes as soon as he found out he owed them. But the discrepancy remained a growing political problem for Republicans and the Trump White House, which has taken a hard line on immigration and taxes.

"I want to hear what he has to say about that," said Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., who added he had moved from endorsing the nominee to joining the ranks of GOP senators who weren't committing to vote for Puzder before the scheduled hearing.

"There are concerns" over "the immigration issue," said Sen. John Hoeven, R-N.D., who said he shared those concerns and said the Republicans discussed the matter in their caucus meeting Wednesday.

___

Associated Press Writers Alan Fram and Erica Werner contributed to this report

B/A

Edited by bostonangler
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

Both clintons took hundreds of millions from foreign countries, the head of the "justice" department met with a suspect under investigation on a tarmac, obama gave billions in "discretionary" tax dollars to terrorists, the head of the IRS used her department for malicious attacks against half of America, the law breaking, abuse of authority, and misery practiced by the democrats is a list several pages long, and you were OK with all that, but now you represent an article that is only available because someone has agreed to divulge information they were sworn to protect, and you wonder why everyone here is not very impressed with your hypocrisy.

I am not condoning ethics violations, I am whole-heartily condemning the continued adversarial posture and the pretense of morality the you spew.

I'm sure there's an open high school or elementary school teacher position somewhere in California where you will fit right in. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

If President Trump doesn't get the Justice Dept to go after the FBI then we have lost all hope. Comey needs to not only be fired but possibly brought up on charges of espionage and treason for not only recording an Americans conversation without a court order but also for allowing his department to leak said recording to the press.  This is no longer about Republicans and Democrats, this is about the rule of law. Something that President Trump promised to bring back. If he doesn't do that then we're in a hopeless situation. And everyone should know that is seems that Obuthead has his fingerprints all over this. Sorry to say but that is also treason. This kind of behavior must not be tolerated.  This is now  a matter of National Security of the highest level. 

• Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, ladyGrace'sDaddy said:

If President Trump doesn't get the Justice Dept to go after the FBI then we have lost all hope. Comey needs to not only be fired but possibly brought up on charges of espionage and treason for not only recording an Americans conversation without a court order but also for allowing his department to leak said recording to the press.  This is no longer about Republicans and Democrats, this is about the rule of law. Something that President Trump promised to bring back. If he doesn't do that then we're in a hopeless situation. And everyone should know that is seems that Obuthead has his fingerprints all over this. Sorry to say but that is also treason. This kind of behavior must not be tolerated.  This is now  a matter of National Security of the highest level. 

Well said.

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, divemaster5734 said:

Both clintons took hundreds of millions from foreign countries, the head of the "justice" department met with a suspect under investigation on a tarmac, obama gave billions in "discretionary" tax dollars to terrorists, the head of the IRS used her department for malicious attacks against half of America, the law breaking, abuse of authority, and misery practiced by the democrats is a list several pages long, and you were OK with all that, but now you represent an article that is only available because someone has agreed to divulge information they were sworn to protect, and you wonder why everyone here is not very impressed with your hypocrisy.

I am not condoning ethics violations, I am whole-heartily condemning the continued adversarial posture and the pretense of morality the you spew.

I'm sure there's an open high school or elementary school teacher position somewhere in California where you will fit right in. 

Selective morality.

Six days after being sworn in, President Obummer had confirmed (by the Democrat super majority in the Senate) a Treasury Secretary who claimed the reason he did not pay $34,000 in medicare and social security taxes in previous years was because Turbotax must have had a flaw in their program.

If BA can point to any criticism she voiced at the time against Geithner, then I will withdraw the selective morality claim.

• Upvote 2

Hypocritical behavior by those on the left telling the leaders on the Right they won't approve him...

when it's the left who advocates illegal immigration, implements 'sanctuary cities', don't want a temp travel ban,

releases illegal alien criminals, hire illegals themselves to clean their homes, yards, work the fields, use OUR tax

Dollars to give them free education, medical, housing and work in their eateries which post signs in the window saying they

discriminate against & won't serve Trump supporters.

But these HYPOCRITES refuse to support a guy who hired one of their darling illegals...?

BIG FAKES the lot of 'em.

Well, at least that moronic 'illegal workers on strike' thing happening to shut down businesses in 'solidarity' with

their illegal employees will make it easy for ICE to identify which businesses are harboring illegals ! :lol:

Go get 'em, ICE ! :twothumbs:

Edited by SgtFuryUSCZ
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Timmy was as crooked as they come. as for this nominee for department of labor, it was not just the left that said no. He sank himself with comments about preferring robots to employees. That might be good for business, but not what the head of the department of labor needs to think. His idea of people not working for him because they are toothless was the wrong thing to say. If his cheap ass company offered benefits perhaps his toothless employees would go to a dentist. He showed disrespect to American workers and it cost him his big job at the department of labor.

B/A

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, bostonangler said:

Timmy was as crooked as they come. as for this nominee for department of labor, it was not just the left that said no. He sank himself with comments about preferring robots to employees. That might be good for business, but not what the head of the department of labor needs to think. His idea of people not working for him because they are toothless was the wrong thing to say. If his cheap ass company offered benefits perhaps his toothless employees would go to a dentist. He showed disrespect to American workers and it cost him his big job at the department of labor.

B/A

" cockroach" ? Man are you the pot calling the kettle black lately. For someone who's only objective in life is the acquisition of wealth like you I have confused it how come you have such a problem with all these billionaires. Seems like it might be a little Envy. Besides if he has dealt with as many liberals it is business transactions as I see here I would prefer robots myself. They're not nearly as insane.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Just now, ladyGrace'sDaddy said:

" cockroach" ? Man are you the pot calling the kettle black lately. For someone who's only objective in life is the acquisition of wealth like you I have confused it how come you have such a problem with all these billionaires. Seems like it might be a little Envy. Besides if he has dealt with as many liberals it is business transactions as I see here I would prefer robots myself. They're not nearly as insane.

Funny you feel that way, you are about to be replaced by robots. Did you see my post in off topics? Truck drivers are about to become a thing of the past. Personally I think all this automation sucks for humanity, but it is what it is... And again, don't accuse me of being driven by only wealth, I see you here cheering on the RV for personal gain just like everyone else here. It's not like if this RV happens, you are just going to give your money away. You want it as bad as anyone. We all have charitable reasons for wanting to hit this big, but don't act like you are above the rest of us. That is pure BS on your part. You wouldn't be here, you wouldn't be on the penny stock thread if you weren't looking for riches. JMHO

B/A

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ladyGrace'sDaddy said:

Just tell us how you really feel today LGD ! Your on a roll, should be an interesting day reading your posts ! Soldier big trucker buddy.  :)

pp

6 hours ago, bostonangler said:

Funny you feel that way, you are about to be replaced by robots. Did you see my post in off topics? Truck drivers are about to become a thing of the past. Personally I think all this automation sucks for humanity, but it is what it is... And again, don't accuse me of being driven by only wealth, I see you here cheering on the RV for personal gain just like everyone else here. It's not like if this RV happens, you are just going to give your money away. You want it as bad as anyone. We all have charitable reasons for wanting to hit this big, but don't act like you are above the rest of us. That is pure BS on your part. You wouldn't be here, you wouldn't be on the penny stock thread if you weren't looking for riches. JMHO

B/A

Actually I do intend to give it all away. As I have stated before as soon as the RV happens I intend to open a home for sexually exploited children. I intend to call it the North Pole after the holy Order of Saint Nicholas. There is a huge need in Kansas where I live for such a place. At present time children that are forced into human trafficking in Wichita Kansas have to be booked into Juvenile Hall because there is no place for them to go. I intend to use the funds given me from the Lord to fix this problem. I intend the home to be a home and not an institution. I call it the North Pole because I look like Santa Claus and I intend to live in the North Pole with my children. So no I am not like you. I am not driven by wealth or the acquisition of it I am driven by what I can do for the most needy of our society. The little ones whom no one seems to care about. They are what drives me they and my love for Jesus Christ who told me whatsoever you do unto the least of these little ones you have done it unto me. Many people talk about what they will do for others Post RV, do not talk about it very much because I am led by God on a mission to do it. And before you go there,  I would like to say  that I at this present time do what I can for children in need. As an example last Christmas my wife and I got the town that we live in to do a toy run for the Salvation Army. We do what we can now, we hope for what the Lord will give us to do in the future.

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, ladyGrace'sDaddy said:

Actually I do intend to give it all away. As I have stated before as soon as the RV happens I intend to open a home for sexually exploited children. I intend to call it the North Pole after the holy Order of Saint Nicholas. There is a huge need in Kansas where I live for such a place. At present time children that are forced into human trafficking in Wichita Kansas have to be booked into Juvenile Hall because there is no place for them to go. I intend to use the funds given me from the Lord to fix this problem. I intend the home to be a home and not an institution. I call it the North Pole because I look like Santa Claus and I intend to live in the North Pole with my children. So no I am not like you. I am not driven by wealth or the acquisition of it I am driven by what I can do for the most needy of our society. The little ones whom no one seems to care about. They are what drives me they and my love for Jesus Christ who told me whatsoever you do unto the least of these little ones you have done it unto me. Many people talk about what they will do for others Post RV, do not talk about it very much because I am led by God on a mission to do it. And before you go there,  I would like to say  that I at this present time do what I can for children in need. As an example last Christmas my wife and I got the town that we live in to do a toy run for the Salvation Army. We do what we can now, we hope for what the Lord will give us to do in the future.

Fuzz, what a great thing to do. PM me a message when we RV with your address LGD while that is not something I would do, I would make a donation.

Kids, their my weak spot.

pp

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, ladyGrace'sDaddy said:

As you may have read in other posts I have custody of a deserted young girl. I'm blessed to be able to help her, and when this ever hits, I hope you will let us know how we can be of some help to your mission.

B/A

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, bostonangler said:

As you may have read in other posts I have custody of a deserted young girl. I'm blessed to be able to help her, and when this ever hits, I hope you will let us know how we can be of some help to your mission.

B/A

Hmmm this is a side of you I never knew before. My respect for you just increased 10 fold.  :)

pp

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, pokerplayer said:

Hmmm this is a side of you I never knew before. My respect for you just increased 10 fold.  :)

pp

Thanks... I know it's hard to imagine grumpy ol' me would be raising a teenage girl left at a crack-house with a 54 year old man, and whose parents are both in prison for drug and robbery convictions... Who would've thunk??? :huh:

B/A

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, pokerplayer said:

Fuzz, what a great thing to do. PM me a message when we RV with your address LGD while that is not something I would do, I would make a donation.

Kids, their my weak spot.

pp

You're too kind! 

3 hours ago, bostonangler said:

B/A

Now that changes my entire outlook of you. You're  a good woman, not enough folks would do that for even a family member. 

3 hours ago, pokerplayer said:

pp

Mine too. 

And I would like to add this article that my wife emailed me this week from the local news. She wanted to make sure that I read it. I think that you both would like it, and that it shows how much of a need there exist here. 

WICHITA, Kan. (KAKE) -

A local advocate says Kansas' human trafficking laws need to better serve victims.

Human trafficking is an ongoing issue across the country and in Kansas. The need for help to escape trafficking rose by 24 percent nationwide in 2016.

Just four years ago, Governor Sam Brownback signed a stricter human trafficking law. The law placed harsher punishments on so called sex traffickers.  

"The state is trying to sort of lead the way," Sedgwick County District Attorney, Marc Bennett said.

Bennett sees those offenders all too often. He says the increase in the number of arrests and convictions can be contributed to more police training and greater public awareness.

That same law also did something else. It's supposed to make sure the people taken out of those horrible situations are treated as victims and not criminals.

"We don't want to see individuals locked up as a result of their history of sexual abuse and exploitation." said the director of the Center for Combating Human Trafficking at Wichita State University, Dr. Karen Countryman-Roswurm.

Countryman-Roswurm says the problem is that many of the victims often end up arrested and behind bars. Some of those victims are children or adolescents.

Data from Sedgwick County shows from 2013 to 2016, 59 girls, all minors, were taken from human trafficking situations and arrested and booked into the Sedgwick County Juvenile Detention Facility, a jail for minors. Data reveals nearly half of these children are already in the Department of Children and Families custody before they were booked into jail.

"They have a long history of trauma in their homes and then they have further trauma on the streets," Countryman-Roswurm said.

She says spending time in a cell is the last thing they need. Instead, she says the state should be providing access to services that help these children become self-sustainable.

Bennett agrees, but says it is not that easy. 

"Ideal is we have a place that's safe and therapeutic, and we can put them in there and keep them safe. But the reality is that doesn't exist," he said.

One place actually does exist and it's the Wichita Children's Home. It's the only other option in the state where judges can house human trafficked youth. It only has four beds for those kids.

"At the end of the day the judges have to follow the law and we have to try to do what's right to protect these people from the perils they find on the street," Bennett said.

On Thursday, State Attorney General, Derek Schmidt, proposed new legislation to once again strengthen human trafficking laws.  

The most significant change for the victims is a measure that allows them to erase their past convictions. The state hopes its incentive enough to turn their backs on their captors and a life of despair and slavery. 

http://www.kake.com/story/34486055/modern-day-slavery-a-look-at-kansas-human-trafficking-laws

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, bostonangler said:

Thanks... I know it's hard to imagine grumpy ol' me would be raising a teenage girl left at a crack-house with a 54 year old man, and whose parents are both in prison for drug and robbery convictions... Who would've thunk??? :huh:

B/A

Wonderful to read of this BA. Thank you for being there for her.

Nice to see what happens when folks get to know each other better, outside of the political banter,

and learn that there is a person with a heart and not just a screen name. Brings things into perspective

and also a nice change from seeing you be labelled and accused as some enjoy doing here.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, ladyGrace'sDaddy said:

Actually I do intend to give it all away. As I have stated before as soon as the RV happens I intend to open a home for sexually exploited children. I intend to call it the North Pole after the holy Order of Saint Nicholas. There is a huge need in Kansas where I live for such a place. At present time children that are forced into human trafficking in Wichita Kansas have to be booked into Juvenile Hall because there is no place for them to go.

Scott, wonderful to read this also. The child trafficking issues are beyond what most would believe, affecting

not just countries, but inside governments. Trafficking and pedofiles can be strongly protected by those in

positions of power, who enjoy abusing others.

I admire your resolve to do what you can, and to provide help and care for the kids. Keep up the good work,

and my best to you. :)

• Upvote 1