Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

ISIL removes cross from Mosul cathedral

ISIL removes cross from Mosul cathedral

Catholic World News - July 17, 2014

The jihadist militant group that controls approximately 40% of Iraq and 30% of Syria has removed the cross from the dome of the Syriac Orthodox cathedral in Mosul, according to a report from the Assyrian International News Agency.

After its conquest of Mosul, Iraq’s 2nd-largest city, the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant “imposed a poll tax on Christians, ordered all women to veil themselves, closed beauty salons and barber shops, and occupied churches,” the agency reported.

http://www.catholicculture.org/news/headlines/index.cfm?storyid=22027&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+CatholicWorldNewsFeatureStories+%28Catholic+World+News+%28on+CatholicCulture.org%29%29

http://www.catholicculture.org/news/headlines/index.cfm?storyid=22016

Report: ISIL orders no food aid for Christians in Mosul
 7  11  0 Google +1 Delicious0
email.gif print.gif

Catholic World News - July 16, 2014

The Sunni jihadist group that controls much of Iraq and Syria has ordered that no food aid be distributed to Christians in Mosul, according to a Fides news agency report.

The ban also extends to Shiite Muslims.

The Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL), which took over Iraq’s 2nd-largest city in June, has threatened to punish those who violate the order, according to the report.

So the ISIS must not be Muslim as they aren't observing Ramadan. Will they not burn in Muslim hell for not observing and celebrating their own religious holidays. Aren't they supposed to be fasting? I fasted for 3 full days once and can guarantee you there was no energy left to stand up much less fight a war..... They cover their faces and they murder and slaughter innocents. These guys are far from being associated with anything religious......

Edited by jcfrag

Religious, Religions, that's the problem. Man made rules and doctrines not in accordance with His Word.

Exodus 20:1 And God spoke all these words, saying: 2 "I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. 3 You shall have no other gods before Me. 4 "You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; 5 you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me,

That includes a cross, which has been in the earth and used as a method of death. NO IMAGES, period.

Wm13

• Upvote 1

Just think, why are these guys so "THREATENED" by the Cross?   What scares the heck out of them at just the site of a cross?  Because of what it means to the Christians.   What are they so worried about?  Conversion of muslims to christianity?   So what if they did.   Ah....I see ,  they could not longer "CONTROL"  the masses in the country with telling them lies about a paradise with virgins and young men slaves.   Religion has been used by an elite evil few to control people, wealth, and power.   Once it becomes a large mass instead of an elite few it becomes jihad and war.  Everyone should have freedom of religion and if your religion is evil, then it should be called out as being religiously hating.   The only message that is not getting through is Love.   If everyone truly got the message of Love, we would not have all these folks feeling threatened.

Edited by uncirculd
  • Upvote 2

No need to worry this is exactly how all gods people get back to the holy land in the end times. Your watching prophecy unfold.

correct Viz ...even the Israeli conflict matches prophecy as well

how short our memories are....I marvel that folks have forgotten the long term clearly stated goals of men like Yassar Arafat and Mahmoud Ahmadinejad both Holocaust deniers, one a consort of Hitler's regime, the other a wannabe Mahdi both vowed to fight until Israel was driven into the sea and the Great Satan (US) destroyed or the legions of their increasingly more

radicalized counterparts throughout the Muslim world. Or how they treated  Anwar Sadat who worked toward a true and lasting peace in the Middle East. While I want to stress that neither side is without fault in how they have handled the situation the respect for LIFE is different between the two sides....the Palestinians use civilians as human shields rewarding resultant victims with "martyr" status. As a veteran of three combat tours in SEA I know first hand how such a disregard to civilian casualties can be used against the West to great effect even by our OWN media

Read more: http://dinarvets.com/forums/index.php?/topic/182571-nick-clegg-israeli-response-to-hamas-appears-deliberately-disproportionate/#ixzz37k52aCxF

• Upvote 2

First Ramadan fasting is not the same type of fasting that you may have done, jcfrag. Fasting during Ramadan is done from sun up to sun down. During the time there is no sun, you may eat whatever you like (within the bounds of Islamic dietary restrictions).

Second, uncirculd, Islam views the cross as an idol that Christians worship and as such Christians practice idolatry. They are not afraid of the cross as much as they disdain idols. Throughout Islamic history, it is well known that muslims will conquer and destroy symbols of any other region in the lands they have discovered and then erect mosques on top of those former religious sites such as churches and temples. The architecture of the very first mosque is said to be copied from the architecture of the christian church in Constantinople. This ideology was at the very center of the mosque/islamic center wanting to be built near the WTC site. To understand the Islamic thinking that Christians perform idolatry with the cross you would have to understand the reason for why there is a black rock in the center of Mecca, why the that rock is covered with cloth and the history of the area before their prophet fled to Medina then came back to Mecca. The time before Islam is said to be the dark times. All Arabic poetry, books and things of worshiped were destroyed once Islam came onto the scene and those items were discovered (except the black stone). 

Eagle Eye, Islam has been wanting to drive the Isrealites into the sea since the advent of Islam way back to the 7th and 8th centuries when their so-called prophet of peace was an outcast of Mecca and his own family. Lookip the Pact of Omar. Since the 7th and 8th centuries Islam has persecuted the Jews and has sought to eradicate them from the face of the Earth. The Grand Mufti of Jerusalem is said to have gone to visit Hitler and convert him to Islam. There is good evidence of this as in pictures of the two of them together. It was also said that the Grand Mufti of Jerusalem was the spokesman to the Germans on why and how they should eradicate the Jews and Hitler bought stock in this. So I don't think the ME has forgotten nor have the Jews. Especially when the word "crusade" is still a sore point to the muslims. The drive to push Jews into the Sea did not just happen once Isreal became a state recognized by the world in the 20th century, it goes back much further.

As far as Palestine ever being a country, where is there evidence of currency solely belonging to Palestine? Palestine has always been a state of a much larger nation, like Roman Empire or Ottoman Empire. Palestine as a country has never existed and there is no such thing as a palestinian as a race of people before the 20th century. The current palestinians were the outcasts of Islamic countries throughout the middle east. There are far greater numbers of these people in Jordan and Lebanon than there are ever in Isreal. Lookup the attempted overthrow by them of Jordan. In Jordan and Lebanon they live in tent cities who are really not allowed to venture outside of these to live. Jordan and Lebanon treat palestinians far worse than Isreal does but its only Isreal that gets condemned for not taking them in.

• Upvote 1

That includes a cross, which has been in the earth and used as a method of death. NO IMAGES, period.

Wm13

Really waterman? The cross has been the symbol of Christianity for 2000 years and they tear it down to raise the symbol of Islam. I suppose you see this act as some sort of holy justice for adoring the cross and raising it up. Christians see this event as a militant act by a militant belief system that seeks to destroy Christianity.

As a side note: Did we see God? For me, we did, so we can depict Him and everything about Him that we saw. His image, His cross, His family etc. etc. etc.

When I see a cross it reminds me of the sacrifice my Lord and savior made on that cross for me and all creation and it draws me nearer to Him. Whatever way you shake it, there is one group that really has a problem with the cross, both he, and his children do what they can to tear it down. St. Luke, whose Gospel you read, was an iconographer and is considered the first iconographer of the Christian Church depicting the Virgin Mary, , , , , how does that make you feel?

Edited by ATHIM

i love insightful dialogue like this.  i don't have much to add but these bullets:

• religion has been used as a tool to push agendas for ages regardless of the title it bears.  don't forget the catholic church's affiliation with the 3rd reich.  google "catholic church hitler" and click on images link.  a picture is worth a thousand words.
  • true Christianity is a narrow way and not many find it.  recall in america's not too distant past how happy church goers burned people alive, conducted communal trophy taking where appendages were removed before execution, flayed victims alive and hung others all done through the passive eye of the federal court system after the emancipation act.  most of these acts were performed by what was deemed "good God-fearing American Christians".  how many of these people do you think are going to see His face in peace on that day?

i'm not bashing anybody's belief but simply stating that the world is a terrible place and full of deceit.  love is the answer, God's love.  every man must know for themselves that they are right with God according to His Word and not according to a subjective emotion and definitely not according to what the masses are doing.  narrow is the way that leads to life and few there be that find it BECAUSE broad is the way that leads to death...

ATHIM, Do some research on the "cross", it goes back millennia before Christ. It is a pagan symbol. It was in Egypt, Babylon, ancient Nordic and Celtic cultures. Then, do some research on the so called Star of David" (otherwise called the Star of Remphan) that the traditional Judao - Christian church teach IS the true "Israel" and push support for the Zionists. The people in Israel today (the ones in power) are not Israelites, they are Edomites (sons of Esau).  Don't get me going on the Virgin Mary and how the Catholic Church has elevated her to goddess status and worship her (or pray to her).

Do you have a link or some information on Luke being an "icronographer" that I can research?

As for me and my house I will serve the Lord, and He said "Make NO graven images"! PERIOD

I believe that Luke would have known this spending so much time with the Lord.

I have spent years researching these things, ancient people movements, signs and symbols, religions, etc.

What happened to the Israeliites in the desert when they made a graven image? They were punished to wander in the desert for 40 yrs until they were all dead, and couldn't enter the promised land, only their children could.

Wm13

Edited by waterman13

First Ramadan fasting is not the same type of fasting that you may have done, jcfrag. Fasting during Ramadan is done from sun up to sun down. During the time there is no sun, you may eat whatever you like (within the bounds of Islamic dietary restrictions).

Second, uncirculd, Islam views the cross as an idol that Christians worship and as such Christians practice idolatry. They are not afraid of the cross as much as they disdain idols. Throughout Islamic history, it is well known that muslims will conquer and destroy symbols of any other region in the lands they have discovered and then erect mosques on top of those former religious sites such as churches and temples. The architecture of the very first mosque is said to be copied from the architecture of the christian church in Constantinople. This ideology was at the very center of the mosque/islamic center wanting to be built near the WTC site. To understand the Islamic thinking that Christians perform idolatry with the cross you would have to understand the reason for why there is a black rock in the center of Mecca, why the that rock is covered with cloth and the history of the area before their prophet fled to Medina then came back to Mecca. The time before Islam is said to be the dark times. All Arabic poetry, books and things of worshiped were destroyed once Islam came onto the scene and those items were discovered (except the black stone). 

Eagle Eye, Islam has been wanting to drive the Isrealites into the sea since the advent of Islam way back to the 7th and 8th centuries when their so-called prophet of peace was an outcast of Mecca and his own family. Lookip the Pact of Omar. Since the 7th and 8th centuries Islam has persecuted the Jews and has sought to eradicate them from the face of the Earth. The Grand Mufti of Jerusalem is said to have gone to visit Hitler and convert him to Islam. There is good evidence of this as in pictures of the two of them together. It was also said that the Grand Mufti of Jerusalem was the spokesman to the Germans on why and how they should eradicate the Jews and Hitler bought stock in this. So I don't think the ME has forgotten nor have the Jews. Especially when the word "crusade" is still a sore point to the muslims. The drive to push Jews into the Sea did not just happen once Isreal became a state recognized by the world in the 20th century, it goes back much further.

As far as Palestine ever being a country, where is there evidence of currency solely belonging to Palestine? Palestine has always been a state of a much larger nation, like Roman Empire or Ottoman Empire. Palestine as a country has never existed and there is no such thing as a palestinian as a race of people before the 20th century. The current palestinians were the outcasts of Islamic countries throughout the middle east. There are far greater numbers of these people in Jordan and Lebanon than there are ever in Isreal. Lookup the attempted overthrow by them of Jordan. In Jordan and Lebanon they live in tent cities who are really not allowed to venture outside of these to live. Jordan and Lebanon treat palestinians far worse than Isreal does but its only Isreal that gets condemned for not taking them in.

I am aware of that history regarding Islam (except for the black rock thing).....also Jordan was formed at the very same time as Israel and "heralded" at that time as the "home" for Palestinians ...and you are correct...the so-called Palestians were not accepted in any arab nations...furthermore in my two visits to Israel late 80's and early 90's I was amazed at how well off the "Palestinians" in Israel really were...they ran most of the tourist shops (no fear of crosses there...they made great profit from them)....and actually seemed to live rather "high on the camel"...two Mercedes and huge satellite dishes even when they lived in tents like Bedouins...my two cents :twocents:  :salute:

WATERMAN13: As for me and my house I will serve the Lord, and He said "Make NO graven images"! PERIOD

Whatever serves to bring you closer to God. In like mindedness I would conclude that you have no images of nature and family hanging on the walls in your house and that you have also remove these graven images from your wallet.

I believe that Luke would have known this spending so much time with the Lord.

It appears that you have received the Gospel of Waterman13. You say that you believe the Gospel of John so let me ask another question. Do you receive the body and blood of Christ for eternal salvation? John says in Chapter 6 that Jesus taught, if you do not eat my flesh and drink my blood you have no life in you! The Jews could not accept this teaching and many turned aside. I assume you are washed in the blood of the lamb, through what priesthood?

I have spent years researching these things, ancient people movements, signs and symbols, religions, etc.

You must remove yourself from yourself because you are a symbol of God, albeit a living one. The symbols and idols debate was clarified by the 7th ecumenical council. You are in no way above their findings.

If you do not receive as a child in the context and understanding of the disciples, believing and understanding as they do, you have not received the Gospel.

Edited by ATHIM
  • Upvote 1

on a personal note, if none of you have been to Jerusalem, i strongly suggest you go there before your lifetime ends.  it was the greatest trip of my life.  one thing that fascinated me is the "Dome of The Rock".  i learned there just how close we are to world war III.  it was explained by our tour guide that the tension is great surrounding this area (The Temple Mount) that if an Israeli were to do any type of work on this area, all out war could break out.  i have never experienced another place like Jerusalem.  during one hour of the day, loud speakers atop some buildings would sound and islamic prayers would begin.  later the speakers would sound for the prayers of judaism.  and the Western Wall experience made me internalize my own personal dedication to fasting and prayer.  To see all of those men and women wrapped in prayer clothes praying for hours rocking back and forth so focused and concentrated on God was AMAZING.  

i could go on and on but if you haven't gone and you are thinking about it....do it!  it will change how you literally view the world outside of America.

• Upvote 1

ATHIM, here's some sites just on a quick internet search

http://www.albatrus.org/english/religions/pagan/origin_of_cross.htm

http://www.answering-christianity.com/abdullah_smith/cross_pagan_origins.htm

http://www.bibletools.org/index.cfm/fuseaction/Library.sr/CT/ARTB/k/471/Cross-Christian-Banner-Pagan-Relic.htm

One, I don't carry a wallet

Yes, I have partaken, Through the priesthood of Christ, the Blood of the Lamb of God.

As the "spirit man" I am the Image of Christ, not the "old man" that people can see in the physical. (I am NOT of this world)

Never sent me any proof of Luke being an icronographer

Wm13

• Upvote 1

In fact show me in the Word where it says to make a cross to remember Jesus by.

symbols and idols debate was clarified by the 7th ecumenical council.

And who were these people? The Catholic Church, as evil as the day is long, I rest my case.
Wm13
Edited by waterman13

And who were these people? The Catholic Church, as evil as the day is long, I rest my case.

They are the Bishops and Fathers of the Church. The Church of Rome was not the only Church that exists today, that were present back then, the Eastern Orthodox Church was there. Rome broke away spiritually before the real division occurred and sadly heretical doctrine has been added to this legacy.

Did God fail in His purpose to build a Church? How can this be, or is it that God only wanted a Bible, that by the way was not canonized for 400 years, to be the way that man interpreted the incarnation of an unknowable God?

You have no case to rest, Christ does not need you to justify or correct Him; He has the faithful from the witness of His birth, death and resurrection to do that for Him. I am right in saying you have no priesthood so how can you have salvation? Did God make a special pact with you or did He in truth, impart the faith to the disciples empowering them to have authority over sin. You have set yourself up as Christ like Martin Luther did, you will teach the truth not knowing that the truth does not need you to defend it, it existed before you and will continue after you. Not one iota will change before He returns.

Yes, I have partaken, Through the priesthood of Christ, the Blood of the Lamb of God.

Are you speaking figuratively? Not only must you physically receive the Body and Blood of Christ through His disciples you must confess your sins to them also, OR are you above Christ and His teachings? (John 20:21-23)

The loathing that you feel for the Catholic Church God could easily hold for non denominational and Protestant Christians who have fashioned the Gospel into their own image. God loves all His creation including Catholics, many of whom are the finest people I have met, lacking the obstinate spirit of the Protestants.  The Gospel Protestants receive is their own not Christ’s.

Faithless is the world, and I say this because they have no faith in what Jesus taught, the mysteries. And as far as the Muslims go and the symbol of the cross you despise, my people were slaves to the Ottoman Turks for 400 years and were butchered by those barbarians so when I see a cross come down in the name of a false God, I say come Lord Jesus and end this unholy satanic festival of Godless people and faithless Christians. We have fashioned the Gospel after our own image not having the humility to humble ourselves before your disciples, the ones who have kept the faith inviolate for 2000 years. We have trapped you in the Bible and use the words of holiness as a weapon against one another. We have become boastful of our own strength and knowledge and do not come with a contrite heart. We are ready for the end!

Waterman, ATHIM,

With all your knowlege combined, one or both of you should have known from your study of scripture that the gospel writer Luke did not know Jesus personally. Yes he was a beliver and an inspired Bible writer. But In his gospel he interviewed those who did personally know the Lord Jesus. Luke finished the Gospel account while in Caesarea sometime during the Apostle Pauls confinement there for about 2 years.( 56-58 C.E.)----Ac 21:30-33; 23: 26-35; 24:27

Just an attemt to help my fellow Bible students. Love you both

ATHIM,

I pray God opens your eyes to the deceptions of the "Church", both Catholic, Orthodox and Protestant because they are many. The Protestant faith feel into the same trap and took up many of the "traditions" and "doctrines" of the church they left. The Orthodox church is even worth, because I was married to one, and have been to many of their buildings and they are loaded with icons, wall to wall floor to ceiling. I do not loath or despise any "church", but I do pray everyday that God would open their eyes to the deceptions of this world.

2 Thes. 2:7 For the mystery of lawlessness is already at work; only He who now restrains will do so until He is taken out of the way. 8 And then the lawless one will be revealed, whom the Lord will consume with the breath of His mouth and destroy with the brightness of His coming. 9 The coming of the lawless one is according to the working of Satan, with all power, signs, and lying wonders, 10 and with all unrighteous deception among those who perish, because they did not receive the love of the truth, that they might be saved. 11 And for this reason God will send them strong delusion, that they should believe the lie, 12 that they all may be condemned who did not believe the truth but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

I believe as Christ has shown me that many who call themselves Christian will be surprised when He returns and says: "Depart from me for I never knew you". They will not be part of of His elect, and will have to wait for the Great Throne judgement after the 1000 year reign of Christ on earth. They take pieces and parts of the Gospel and twist and contort God's Word to their doctrines. But, His elect shall rule and reign with Him for a 1000 years.

Let me ask you a question: As a "born again" Christian do you still sin?

ATHIM, you still have not shown me anything about Luke.

Wm13

Waterman, ATHIM,

With all your knowlege combined, one or both of you should have known from your study of scripture that the gospel writer Luke did not know Jesus personally. Yes he was a beliver and an inspired Bible writer. But In his gospel he interviewed those who did personally know the Lord Jesus. Luke finished the Gospel account while in Caesarea sometime during the Apostle Pauls confinement there for about 2 years.( 56-58 C.E.)----Ac 21:30-33; 23: 26-35; 24:27

Just an attemt to help my fellow Bible students. Love you both

You are correct my mistake there. Luke was Paul's scribe pretty much correct? I was thinking of John.

Wm13

Edited by waterman13

Look, ATHIM I don't want to argue with you, but things like this is why I dislike the Catholic Church.

And, a paragraph from a paper I wrote:

1. Why is the Pope called the “Holy Father”? Jesus said the only Holy Father is in heaven, not here on earth. This is actually blasphemy. Matthew 23: 9, “Do not call anyone on earth your father; for One is your father, He who is in heaven”. Malachi 2: 10, “Have we not all one Father?”… Also, see John 8: 41-47. Therefore, who made him (the Pope) Vicar of Christ? As for me, my Father is in heaven
  • Upvote 1