Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

For Iraq, civil war looms nearer

k98nights

For Iraq, civil war looms nearer By Elhanan Miller

April 24, 2013, 3:28 pm

Mideast-Iraq-Violence_Horo-635x357.jpg

Iraqi army soldiers drive out of Hawija, 150 miles (240 kilometers) north of Baghdad, Iraq, Tuesday, April 23, 2013 (photo credit: AP/Hadi Mizban)

A bloody crackdown by Iraq’s army on an anti-government demonstration in the northern province of Kirkuk forewarns of the renewal of civil strife in the war-torn country, Arab dailies write on Wednesday.

“The Kirkuk massacre brings civil war closer,” reads the headline of London-based daily Al-Hayat, which reports the deaths and injury of dozens of Sunni Iraqis in the town of Hawijah, where they were protesting against the government of Shiite prime minister Nouri Al-Maliki.

“The reactions indicated that Iraq is nearing a return to civil war, as rivals of Prime Minister Nouri Al-Maliki escalated their attack on his ‘sectarian’ policy,” reads the article.

More and more Iraqi politicians are boycotting Maliki’s government, who is increasingly viewed as a political extension of Iran’s Shiite government.

Maliki has appointed his deputy Hussein Shahrastani as interim foreign minister after Kurdish foreign minister Hoshyar Zibari decided to “boycott the government.” Parliament members from the predominantly Sunni Iraqiya bloc boycotted parliament meetings following the army’s crackdown on the demonstrations Tuesday, leading to the suspension of the parliament’s sessions until tomorrow, Al-Hayat reported.

“Iraq boils following storming of the protest encampment in Hawija,” reads the headline of Saudi-owned daily A-Sharq Al-Awsat. An Iraqi security source told the daily that the army began firing at the demonstrators — some of them armed — who refused to vacate the area. At least 50 were killed and hundreds were wounded.

“If the tribal mobilization in Iraq’s western and northern provinces were the most significant ramifications of the Hawija events, the resignation of education minister Muhammad Tamim, a member of the dialogue front led by deputy prime minister Saleh Mutlaq, was the most significant political occurrence,” reads an article in A-Sharq Al-Awsat.

“At the same time, politicians from various political parties bemoaned the partnership with Prime Minister Nuri Al-Maliki.”

Shaalan Karim, a member of the Iraqiya bloc, told A-Sharq Al-Awsat that Maliki is “attempting to ignite a sectarian war, implementing foreign agendas, and particularly Iranian ones. He does not care whether Iraqi blood is spilled or not.”

Meanwhile, Dubai-based news channel Al-Arabiya reports that opposition leaders in Iraq’s western Anbar province have called on tribesmen to arm themselves and remain alert following the Hawija incident.

Saudi news website Elaph outlines the destabilizing forces in Iraq. The Army of the Naqshabandi Order, an Baathist insurgency group led by former Saddam Hussein deputy Izzat A-Duri, has attacked Iraqi soldiers across the country, demanding that the soldiers turn over their weapons and leave their military barracks.

Criticism of Maliki even emanated from his own Shiite camp. Muqtada Sadr, a hardline Shiite cleric and political leader, accused Maliki’s forces of using excessive force against the protesters.

“It is odd that the Iraq government has opened a new door to illegitimate and excessive violence, which will certainly lead to unwanted results,” Sadr wrote in a statement published Tuesday.

http://www.timesofisrael.com/for-iraq-civil-war-looms-nearer/

• Upvote 2

WOW!!  The current Iraq government is out of control and this needs to be corrected soon.  With the way things are going lately in Iraq when it comes to their government I don't know if we will see RV anytime soon.  I truly hope I am wrong but this is very upsetting...

• Upvote 2

Yes,money will fix a lot of things including this if they pull their heads out long enough to see the light and make their currency worth what it should.GREED can Destroy countries very easily and it CAN happen.just look at where are presently sitting and (IF) not fixed we WILL fall.Pray with all your heart my brothers and sisters.We are in DEEP DEEP DEEP.

• Upvote 1

Maliki has to be delt with, period. This has been apparant with his association with questionablle alliancies and the demeanor toward the very countrymen he's suppose to be governing. There's now a legitamate avenue for external indities to investgate the situation and indite the culperates for crimes of nature. This could be the extreme end of the Maliki rein. It's sad that it has escalated to these conditions. What's more appalling is this was senceless and avoidable.

• Upvote 1

No qorum at parliament. kurd ministers boycotting......iraqi list and sunnis boycotting. unfortunately the government is crumbling. someone once said a currency is only as strong as the government that backs it. buckle up folks

Not anytime soon.

Still just bark at this time.

Could be possible in the future

They are still working on the HCL and using this for leverage IMO

Thanks K98

how can they work on the hcl with parliament not whowing up and entities within the government resigning or being assasinated?

I dont see them bombing and shooting at each other..........then the next day sitting at a table drinking coffee and peacefully negotiating the hcl. jmo

The hydrocarbon law has not been abandoned.  

People under estimate the souths oil potential. Baghdad is in no hurry and they are not reliant on the North.

I've had my buckle on since the beginning Sandstorm.

No qorum at parliament. kurd ministers boycotting......iraqi list and sunnis boycotting. unfortunately the government is crumbling. someone once said a currency is only as strong as the government that backs it. buckle up folks

how can they work on the hcl with parliament not whowing up and entities within the government resigning or being assasinated?

I dont see them bombing and shooting at each other..........then the next day sitting at a table drinking coffee and peacefully negotiating the hcl. jmo

can help Baghdad and Kurds make fair energy deal: Ashti Hawrami at Baker Institute in Houston 23.4.2013

state7026.jpg
The Kurdistan Regional Government’s Minister for Natural Resources last week at the Baker Institute in Houston said that the US administration can help Baghdad and the Kurds to resolve their disagreements on oil and gas. Photo: KRG
See Related Articles

April 23, 2013

HOUSTON, Texas, USA,— The Kurdistan Regional Government’s Minister for Natural Resources last week at the Baker Institute in Houston said that the US administration can help Baghdad and the Kurds to resolve their disagreements on oil and gas.

Dr Ashti Hawrami said, “We believe that Washington can help Iraq shepherd through a deal on energy in accordance with the Constitution to advance stability and economic wellbeing in the wider region.”

Minister Hawrami went to Houston shortly after visiting Washington DC as part of a KRG ministerial delegation that met US government officials, business leaders and think tanks.

In an address to the prominent think-tank at Rice University, Dr Hawrami said he had spent a fruitful week in Washington DC as part of a delegation from the KRG, identifying “many areas of common interest and ways in which the KRG can play a moderating role to shape the future of my country, Iraq, and positively influence the delicate geopolitical developments around us.”

Dr Hawrami emphasised the positive effects of the KRG’s growing energy relationship with Turkey. “Iraq’s unity and upholding the federal Constitution are central to all discussions with Turkey, which will be a win-win for all concerned. Economic growth undermines geopolitical extremism and conflicts.”

The key to lasting stability and unity in Iraq is to implement the power and wealth sharing provisions in Iraq’s Constitution, he said.

In stark contrast to Iraq’s long history of neglecting resources in the Kurdistan Region and using oil wealth to fund regional wars, since 2005 the KRG has attracted some 50 international oil exploration and production companies from 23 countries. Collectively they have invested close to $20 billion US dollars searching for oil and gas in Kurdistan.

He said the benefits of the KRG’s success in fostering a modern, progressive oil and gas industry would be shared by all Iraqis.

“The KRG seeks constructive dialogue with Baghdad to resolve all outstanding oil and gas issues based on the federal Constitution as the only viable foundation for the unity of Iraq,” said Dr Hawrami.

The talk at the Baker Institute for Public Policy at Rice University was organized by the Center for Energy studies. In Houston, Minister Hawrami was also invited to address the biannual Chevron Reservoir Management Forum and visited Chevron’s technology centre,www.ekurd.net where he was briefed on the latest technological advances in the oil and gas industry.

Copyright ©, respective author or news agency, Kurdistan Regional Government | krg.org

http://www.ekurd.net/mismas/articles/misc2013/4/state7026.htm

I wonder about this.  If it is true and they are not going to get the protection for the DFI fund anymore, I have to ask my self if Iraq is on the war path why would they do it?  Allawi is grabbing for his last moment of gaining control.   The people made the decision via their vote, under those circumstances Maliki probably will not try for a third term.  Let the process work, or destroy what has already been accomplished, such as it is.  Allawi should just stay cool and wait for the elections coming up.

Socaldinar....thanks for the post. I only want success and progress in iraq......but truly being on the edge of a civil war.....is gonna stop needed progress and may fold the entire country. Its more fearful to me than a rd/"l".

I don't think the people want a civil war especially the younger Iraqi's. They want Facebook not war.  

A civil war would be most likely the end of this ride but I try not to worry about it. But I also don't think it's going to happen anytime soon.

Not burying my head in the sand but I  know that we here on DV know quite  a bit more about whats going on over there than a news reporter for the LA times.

Let's see how the elections turn out and hope for the best.

WOW!!  The current Iraq government is out of control and this needs to be corrected soon.  With the way things are going lately in Iraq when it comes to their government I don't know if we will see RV anytime soon.  I truly hope I am wrong but this is very upsetting...

The Sunni & Shiite will NEVER get along. As soon as you acknowledge this then you will understand that there ALWAYS can be a civil war but the is unlikely to happen.

Whicheve group is in power, the other will protest against them. Fact of life.

Throw in a few religous trouble makers and you will ALWAYS have problems.

I am just hoping that the dinar RV's before the top boils over on the kettle and we can get to the bank.

After that, who cares?

In my opinion, they are years away from stability, if ever.  I'm in my mid 40's and I'm hoping this investment will aid my retirement account.  I'm not counting on it any sooner. 

I want this as much as anyone else.  However, when you look at the facts, this is definately a long term investment. 

• Upvote 1

Yes, gymrat - you hit on the prevailing theme of Middle East geopolitical struggle.  This is not going to get better in the near future and I suspect unrest to spread to Jordan and Lebanon along with continuuing Syrian discord.  It does seem like Kurdish nationalism is sprouting some roots given their political and sectarian alienation with Bagdad and growing detente with Turkey.

This whole affair is part of a master plan (geopolitical, military) to surround Israel and gain recognition and acceptance of the Caliphate.