Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

THERE IS NO U.S. EMBASSY, CONSULATE, OR ANY U.S. REPRESENTATION OF ANY SORT IN BENGHAZI LIBYA. EMBASSY KILLINGS NEVER HAPPENED.

imblessed

Lets personalize the loss of this man..... His family and friends obviously are..

Libyan ambassador kept 'human touch'

U.S. ambassador slain in Libya remembered fondly in Piedmont hometown, at UC Berkeley alma mater

John Wildermuth, Justin Berton and Will Kane

Updated 9:03 a.m., Thursday, September 13, 2012

The former family home of slain U.S. ambassador to Libya, J. Christopher Stevens is seen in Piedmont, CA on Wednesday September 12th, 2012

Photo: Michael Short, Special To The Chronicle / SF The former family home of slain U.S. ambassador to Libya, J....

Next door neighbor to the Stevens former family home in Piedmont, Harry Johnson, who knew the family, talks kindly about slain U.S. ambassador to Libya, J. Christopher Stevens and the type character that he possessed. Oakland, CA Wednesday September 12th, 2012

Photo: Michael Short, Special To The Chronicle / SF Next door neighbor to the Stevens former family home in Piedmont,...

The home of Tom Stevens, the brother of slain U.S. ambassador to Libya, J. Christopher Stevens is seen in Piedmont, CA, on Wednesday September 12th, 2012

Photo: Michael Short, Special To The Chronicle / SF The home of Tom Stevens, the brother of slain U.S. ambassador to...

Anyone who talked to J. Christopher Stevens instantly became the center of his world.

Stevens, 52, the American ambassador to Libya killed during an attack by militants Tuesday in the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, was a natural diplomat, from his youth in Piedmont to his undergraduate years at UC Berkeley and studies at Hastings College of the Law in San Francisco, friends and colleagues said.

His violent death was doubly shocking, coming in a country in which he took a personal interest and whose revolution he had strived to help and understand, acquaintances said.

"Chris was one of those people who was very inclusive of everyone," said Amy Moorhead, whose older brother was a close friend of Stevens' in high school and college. "He was a people person. He was genuinely interested in me, even though I was younger. But it was not just me - he was genuinely interested in everybody.

"If he met someone, he wanted to know about them," Moorhead said.

Kept the human touch

Stevens grew up in a leafy, quiet neighborhood in Piedmont and kept a home in the East Bay hills enclave after being named U.S. ambassador to Libya in April.

Harry Johnson, 69, who lived next to Stevens when the future diplomat was a boy, said Stevens had kept in contact after graduating from Piedmont High School in 1978, through college and after he moved to Morocco for a stint with the Peace Corps before law school.

"He was so intelligent, but never lost the human touch," Johnson said. "He could make anyone feel comfortable and make them a part of his world because he fit into theirs."

Even when he returned home from important assignments across the Middle East, Stevens wanted to focus on his friends and family.

"He had been to all these glamorous places, and we wanted to hear about them and he always wanted to talk about things like, 'How's your son doing?' " said Paul Feist, a childhood friend and former editor at The Chronicle who asked Stevens to be best man at his wedding 25 years ago.

Stevens was the son of retired Marin Symphony cellist Mary Commanday and stepson of San Francisco Classical Voice magazine founder Robert Commanday, a former music critic for The Chronicle. Both President Obama and Secretary of State Hillarious Rodham Clinton called Mary Commanday to offer their condolences Wednesday.

Obama "spoke to her at great length," Robert Commanday said. "They talked about the tragic irony of a man who has given all of his career and his life for these people and then they murder him."

Making a difference

Stevens' desire for making a difference was evident from an early age. Above his senior portrait in his Piedmont High yearbook, Stevens chose a quote from the essayist Logan Pearsall Smith: "What a bore it is, waking up in the morning always the same person. I wish I were unflinching and emphatic, and had big, bushy eyebrows and a Message for the Age."

In college, Stevens knew he wanted to join the State Department and work in the Middle East, said Steve Tovani, a fellow member of the Alpha Tau Omega fraternity at UC Berkeley.

He could often be found practicing his Arabic, studying Middle Eastern history or rehearsing lines for musicals at Cal - in which he often played characters with a maturity beyond his years, said Austin Tichenor, a childhood friend and Berkeley classmate.

"He had a gravitas about him, which suited him well in the foreign service, I suspect," Tichenor said. "It always tickled me to see him do official State Department speeches because he's so serious, he has his ambassador face on. But when you got him one-on-one, he was just funny."

Stevens earned his undergraduate degree in 1982 and graduated with a law degree from Hastings in 1989. In 2010, he earned a master's degree from the National War College in Washington, D.C.

Emily Gottreich, vice chair of the Center for Middle Eastern Studies at UC Berkeley, said, "He had the kind of local knowledge that ambassadors don't always have. He spoke Arabic, he was deeply engaged in the process of creating a new and better Libya, and he's exactly the kind of person you don't want to lose. It's just a tragedy."In a May video that the State Department made to introduce Stevens to the Libyan people, he said, "Growing up in California, I didn't know much about the Arab world."

'He loved the people'But Stevens spent two years in Morocco with the Peace Corps teaching English before returning to California for law school. After a few years as an international trade attorney, Stevens decided to enter the Foreign Service. He spent more than two decades as an envoy to countries in the Middle East, including Syria, Egypt and Israel.

By the time Stevens was named ambassador to Libya in April, he was seen as one of the pre-eminent American diplomats, friends said.

"He loved that part of the world, he loved the people, he spoke the languages and he really loved his job," Tichenor said.

After Libyan rebels launched their revolution against the country's dictator, Moammar Khadafy, Stevens served as U.S. special representative to the insurrectionists.

"It was amazing, the stress he was under," Feist said. "There was a car-bomb attack outside the hotel he was stationed in. I can only imagine how stressful it was."

Johnson, the neighbor, said he had attended a gathering in the spring at Stevens' parents' home in Oakland to celebrate their son's appointment as ambassador. The mood was upbeat, he said, yet not without concern.

"Chris knew the hazards," he said. "He was a smart guy. But there was also a feeling that Chris was the right guy because of his genuine affection for people in that part of the world."

According to the State Department Office of the Historian, five U.S. ambassadors have been killed by terrorists: I guess these didn't happen either.

Adolph Dubs: In Afghanistan, 1979

Francis E. Meloy Jr.: In Lebanon, 1976

Rodger P. Davies: In Cyprus, 1974

Cleo A. Noel Jr.: In Sudan, 1973

John Gordon Mein: In Guatemala, 1968

Two U.S. ambassadors died in plane crashes:

Arnold L. Raphel: In Pakistan, 1988

Laurence A. Steinhardt: In Canada, 1950

Source: Associated Press

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/world/article/Libyan-ambassador-kept-human-touch-3859504.php#ixzz26XJ1GyRU

• Upvote 2

The events abroad last week is a bad stain on Obama and his failed foreign policies.

The media must now focus on eradicating these events to help get Obama reelected.

Liberal talk radio even blamed Bush and his knack for riling the Muslim World as the real culprit.

As far as the media is concerned Obama can never do no wrong and excuses or deflection away from the issues must prevale at all costs.

The media will continue to pound Mitt over his statements. This is the very diversion they were looking for to take the focus off of Obama.

There are four dead Americans that say otherwise.

• Upvote 2

does anyone know what the term .. "american interests" means ?

are there any american interests in egypt

http://www.suezcanal.gov.eg/

what would happen to american ships traveling through the suez canal if they were not protected ....

yes our govt pays egypt govt . for certain types of protections in that part of the world ..they will not be able to protect every person in egypt from crimes , including murder .. .. we have 15,000 murders in the united states every year .. should we cut off funding for police and govt here ?

its also a barganing tool .. ya dont take all those funds at once .. ya take a little here .. a little there .. then they start to listen .. if you take every penny all at once .. wheres your barganing chip .. you went all in .. after that you got nothing ..when a few paychecks dont get paid .. people start yelling .. a few more next week ... a few more after that ,, ya pick at them ..who knows who is starting all this crap on twitter .. it could be anyone .. it could be some china man sending texts out causing all kinds of havic ..heck ill bet i could stir up a country if i put my mind to it ..the computer is the devils tool..the internet is his home..

The events abroad last week is a bad stain on Obama and his failed foreign policies.

The media must now focus on eradicating these events to help get Obama reelected.

How do come to those conclusions? Don't you realize U.S. Embassies were attacked at least 7 times under GW? Google it and tell me about failed foreign policies if that's your conclusion.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

How do come to those conclusions? Don't you realize U.S. Embassies were attacked at least 7 times under GW? Google it and tell me about failed foreign policies if that's your conclusion.

Is Bush running again?

Or this just that old "It's Bush's Fault" excuse?

• Upvote 4

Is Bush running again?

Or this just that old "It's Bush's Fault" excuse?

Folks speak as if the world is tumbling down with any adverse situation under this president. My comment reflect all presidents have adverse situations and some have more than others. These aren't new actions. We can only look to history jonjon. You should have been able to process that. If you think it's Bush fault that's on you bro.

Edited by simple
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Why can't we leave Bush out for once. What Bush did in the past is in the past. We can't rewind the clock and start over. Leaders should learn from past mistakes. We are in the now moment with this crisis. How will our leader bring justice to those who lost their lives and get America on the path of peace. :peace:

• Upvote 1

On 2 December 1979, the U.S. Embassy in Tripoli, Libya, was burned during protests over allegations that the United States was involved in the Grand Mosque Seizure in Mecca.

The United States had already withdrawn the U.S. Ambassador to Libya in 1972. Following the 1979 attack, all remaining U.S. government personnel were withdrawn and the embassy closed. Diplomatic presence resumed on February 8, 2004 with the arrival of the U.S. Interests Section in Tripoli. That mission was upgraded to a Liaison Office on June 24, 2004.

From Google

Folks speak as if the world is tumbling down with any adverse situation under this president. My comment reflect all presidents have adverse situations and some have more than others. These aren't new actions. We can only look to history jonjon. You should have been able to process that. If you think it's Bush fault that's on you bro.

Recent history reveals,

Ole slick-talking Obama hypnotically swung the gullible majority.

His theory that he could charm the barbaric mentality out of those Muslims has failed.

His theory that he could handle the highest executive office in the country has failed.

The only thing Obama hasn’t failed at is charming the socks off the poor naïve drones that elected him.

• Upvote 3

The difference in the hornets nest that is stirred up over there now is, in the past we have had someone in office that could direct the defending of this country.

Now we have some one that could make us feel welcome in a g ay bar or a g ay bathhouse.

• Upvote 1

Like i said...the libs like to deflect or divert away from the issues by always bringing up or blaming Bush.

I wasnt aware Bush was still presient.

• Upvote 1

Like i said...the libs like to deflect or divert away from the issues by always bringing up or blaming Bush.

I wasnt aware Bush was still presient.

My comment reflect all presidents have adverse situations and some have more than others. Look at history.

Why can't we leave Bush out for once. What Bush did in the past is in the past. We can't rewind the clock and start over. Leaders should learn from past mistakes. We are in the now moment with this crisis. How will our leader bring justice to those who lost their lives and get America on the path of peace. :peace:

My comment reflect all presidents have adverse situations and some have more than others. Look at history.

Recent history reveals,

Ole slick-talking Obama hypnotically swung the gullible majority.

His theory that he could charm the barbaric mentality out of those Muslims has failed.

His theory that he could handle the highest executive office in the country has failed.

The only thing Obama hasn’t failed at is charming the socks off the poor naïve drones that elected him.

Don't fail to Vote!

• Upvote 1

We should be ashamed of our citizens who are so gullible to believe they are enlightened for buying into these lies.

I certainly am and you are one.

I am ashamed of all the Americans who so easily buy into the false flags that are routinely perpetrated. Is it so wrong to be suspicious of our media and our government.

The campaign to fabricate a conspiracy theory from every action on earth to discredit the USA is despicable.

We should be ashamed of our citizens who are so gullible to believe they are enlightened for buying into these lies.

Be advised that there was one there Wed Jun 6, 2012 11:11am GMT

My link

My link

My link

I am ashamed of all the Americans who so easily buy into the false flags that are routinely perpetrated. Is it so wrong to be suspicious of our media and our government.

Degrading America and slandering its people over every event in the world is what is wrong. Creating a conspiracy to attack the basic fabric of America at every opportunity is what is wrong. Blaming America for every world problem is the problem.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I don't trust our government and media jonjon. I love the American people.

All of our government is made up of American people. All of our media is made up of American people.

Everyone in office or in the media is the relatives of the rest of us.

I believe the divide and concur campaign that has been launched against us has worked.

Rich against the poor, blacks against the whites, left against the right, politicians against the public, and industry against labor.

One of our great statesmen ounce said, “United We Stand Divided We Fall”.

We are at the point of being The Divided States of America now.

• Upvote 1

All of our government is made up of American people. All of our media is made up of American people.

Everyone in office or in the media is the relatives of the rest of us.

I believe the divide and concur campaign that has been launched against us has worked.

Rich against the poor, blacks against the whites, left against the right, politicians against the public, and industry against labor.

One of our great statesmen ounce said, “United We Stand Divided We Fall”.

We are at the point of being The Divided States of America now.

jonjon, you are right. There is divide and conquer within our own country. I agree with you. But I believe that there is also divide and conquer for the globe. I believe there are people in control who don't give a rats @ss about the American people and sell us down the river in a heartbeat to make a buck.

• Upvote 2

When did you ever agree with me?

Lets show what you are talking about... from my page. A post I made in a momet of passion...

Just Maggie

• <LI class=avatar>
Dolphin.jpgSenior Member

• Group: Members

Posted 09 September 2012 - 12:19 PM

As I post this... I am sitting on my sun porch that I enclosed with my old windows that were replaced with new ones. Yup, I am a woman who loves her power tools. wink.gif I have worked my ass off for over 30 years, only to have a house that I am so upside down in that selling it isn't even a consideration.

Ok, so I keep on trekking the best I can... I have a veggie/flower garden that I love and have planted every kind of sunflower seed that I could find. It makes my neighbors smile when they walk by and I have even seen people stop their cars and take a picture. smile.gif

My biggest joy is spending time with my grandaughter almost everyday. I savor every moment with her... we dance around the living room, make animal noises, take walks to the park, color pictures and play! I treasure all of my time with her, not because the world is coming to an end, but because she is 3 years old and is growing so fast! My main goal is to teach her the value of giving our time and love into this world, that "things" really don't compare.

As I post this... it is difficult because I am loosing my pointing finger's fingernail. I caught it on a piece of paneling that I was ripping off the wall at the new location for the battered women's shelter. I am volunteering for all of the work going towards the renovation. It is somewhere I can contribute and I love doing it.

I also pray and try to meditate everyday. I'm still working on quieting my mind. I've found that difficult but I'm learning.

I used to think that was the best I could do towards making this world a better place, that was until Carlos showed up...

Not only did he smack me in the face with a whole lot of truth that I hadn't even thought about, he also showed me that speaking out about it is the right thing to do. How else are we going to actually find some solutions and create a change from within our great country that we all love so much?

That is when I started chiming in...

As for this comment...

snapback.pngCarrello, on 08 September 2012 - 06:28 AM, said:

The Mexican border is so close .... you could just slip right over and into the night........

Carrello,

My grandaughter has Peruvian blood running though her veins. If I was standing there... I would pity the person who would ever try to silence her voice by saying what you did. I wouldn't care if they owned up to the comment or not. My blood is also running through her veins, and it is a hell of a lot thicker than water!

Your comments about credit unions were far more productive...

Just Maggie

Read more: http://dinarvets.com/forums/index.php?/topic/128066-iraqi-politician-us-hawks-are-upset-of-malikis-support-for-the-assad-regime/page__st__20#ixzz26W2vGarc

Thanks for the post M. It gives me a better insight as to who you are. The comment from Carello is disturbing, though not unusual from her. I'm rather insulted, in fact. My daughter's father is a Mexican National. I won't share the details. My advice to you is to disregard insulting posts from certain members. That's what I do.

• Upvote 1

I remember the Tripoli bombing operated by US Forces in 1986 ( Reagan Presidency if I'm not mistaken)....I remember that cos the US bombers had taken off from a US base in Sicily

A few Gadhafi compounds were hit and people got killed including one daughter of his ....

I seem to recall that was a retaliation for something but I can't remember what that was exactly. Maybe a disco in Berlin where a bomb had been placed, frequented by US Soldiers but I'm not sure

The cause was not the PanAm plane which exploded over Scotland as that happened only 2 years later (1988)

• Upvote 1

THERE IS NO U.S. EMBASSY, CONSULATE, OR ANY U.S. REPRESENTATION OF ANY SORT IN BENGHAZI LIBYA. EMBASSY KILLINGS NEVER HAPPENED.

http://www.jimstonef...m/benghazi.html

Ok load this Jacka$$ up and send him over there .......reporting from a damn chair in the stats ant going to cut it anymore

And for the record that was his personal house/ forward mission the Two seals where his bodyguards ....so get it right

I remember the Tripoli bombing operated by US Forces in 1986 ( Reagan Presidency if I'm not mistaken)....I remember that cos the US bombers had taken off from a US base in Sicily

A few Gadhafi compounds were hit and people got killed including one daughter of his ....

I seem to recall that was a retaliation for something but I can't remember what that was exactly. Maybe a disco in Berlin where a bomb had been placed, frequented by US Soldiers but I'm not sure

The cause was not the PanAm plane which exploded over Scotland as that happened only 2 years later (1988)

The 1986 United States bombing of Libya, code-named Operation El Dorado Canyon, comprised the joint United States Air Force, Navy and Marine Corps air-strikes against Libyaon April 15, 1986. The attack was carried out in response to the 1986 Berlin discotheque bombing.

Theres also a little Mexican in there too Carrello

Ok load this Jacka$$ up and send him over there .......reporting from a damn chair in the stats ant going to cut it anymore

And for the record that was his personal house/ forward mission the Two seals where his bodyguards ....so get it right

The 1986 United States bombing of Libya, code-named Operation El Dorado Canyon, comprised the joint United States Air Force, Navy and Marine Corps air-strikes against Libyaon April 15, 1986. The attack was carried out in response to the 1986 Berlin discotheque bombing.

Theres also a little Mexican in there too Carrello

Thanks... I seemed to recall something like that.

Thanks for the inside facts. The conspiracy generators over here that want to crush American have all their sheeply worshipers believing every lie they put out.

Exactly!! I am often aghast at those who are willing to believe anything in order to appear wise, and thus, unintentionally reveal their ignorance.

• Downvote 1

WE NEVER HAD OR HAVE FRIENDS OVER THERE JUST A BUNH OF LEACHES THAT ACCEPT OUR TAX DOLLARS WITH A SMILE ....THEN THE MINUTE WE TURN OUR BACKS, OUT COMES THE KNIVES!!

IF THIS COUNTRY REALLY WANTED TO BALANCE THE BUDGET AND SO FORTH... STOP GIVING MONEY TO ALL THESE CONTRIES. STOP support THR USELESS UN.... We are giving Egypt and the Muslim brotherhood 1.5 billion!!! WHAT THE HELL FOR?? SO THE SOVIETS AND CHINA CAN SELL THE GOOD WEAPONS TO KILL OUR GREAT SOLDIERS WITH!!!!

Ps... THE NEW DEFINITION OF INSANITY IS

A LIBERAL/PROGRESSIVE UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT!! This bunch is even more dysfunctional than a banana republic!!

Leave Israel and Iran and the other ME countries alone to their bs and get the USA out of the garbage ssa UN and worrry about the folks here in the USA start first by restoring the constitution.

• Upvote 3