Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

best ammo for my Glock ?

wpsmit

What is the best ammo for me to buy for self defense purposes?

Glock 26 gen 4 9mm

I know I'll probably get about as many answers to this as I would if I asked when will the Dinar RV, but bear with me, remember I've only been an owner for a couple of months.

I have researched a good bit online, and it would seem the consensus might be

9mm Federal 115 grain JHP (9BP)

What do you upholders of the second amendment think?

• Upvote 3

I am a Dinar man, a glock owner, AND live in GA. I have only exposure to Federal. I have not sent much time at the range or in the streets :-) .

So I have limited info for you.

When at the range I buy the range special boxes just to practice. They recommend, it's cheaper. That's all I really know.

BULLET'S, LOT'S OF BULLET'S.

That's what a utube video, I saw, told me. Thought it was funny but very good advice.

Long term storage on the net says don't handle, keep in original box, and keep dry. Can be stored for a long time.

I always think of shelf life. Not as important as I thought with amno.

SOMEONE will have another opinion. :-)). If it sounds better take it!!

Best advice I have heard is find out what your local police use and carry that. In case there is ever an issue, it would be hard for them to say you were trying to kill because you were carrying some kind of exoctic load. I live in Georgia also, and most police are carrying 40 cal, but just buy the same brand they use.

Just be sure to use a factory load that says 'personal defense','personal protection' or something similar on the box. If you do have to use your handgun - you will end up in court even if it was a justifiable act and you will spend at least $25,000 in legal costs.

Glock 26 gen 4 9mm

I know I'll probably get about as many answers to this as I would if I asked when will the Dinar RV, but bear with me, remember I've only been an owner for a couple of months.

Federal would probably be the best for cheapest price ($20 per 100 round box). However, as far as quality I would not stick with it, even for practice. When you get into a higher quality brand, you get less problems with miss firing and other wear problems over time. Might I also suggest becoming a member of your national gun rights association. You can message me for the web site if you need it.

• Upvote 1

Might I also suggest becoming a member of your national gun rights association. You can message me for the web site if you need it.

Thanks to all for the responses.

I have already started the process of joining. I also plan on joining the

Glock Sport Shooting Foundation

Both look like great organizations and I'm looking forward to meeting up with some veterans of weapon owning. The Glock club has shooting events and in Sept, one of them is within 30 miles of my house. I plan on participating in the event. Sounds like a great weekend of fun, learning, and meeting new people.

And for you Cherysh here is a special link

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=NwAjGsuyF2M

• Upvote 1

One person told you to check out RBCD.net to me that's the best choice for home or personal defense a 9mm will hit just as hard as a 45acp and I have proved it will not exit. That being said it is also expensive figure $ 2.50 each time you pull the trigger however don't use it for target practice use the lower priced ammo. When I carry it's all I have in my Kimber 45acp

Thanks to all for the responses.

I have already started the process of joining. I also plan on joining the

Glock Sport Shooting Foundation

Both look like great organizations and I'm looking forward to meeting up with some veterans of weapon owning. The Glock club has shooting events and in Sept, one of them is within 30 miles of my house. I plan on participating in the event. Sounds like a great weekend of fun, learning, and meeting new people.

And for you Cherysh here is a special link

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=NwAjGsuyF2M

Lol.....I LOVE IT! Thank you! Cherish is definitely an important word and lifestyle. Life is too short to take anything for granted and not lofe every bit you can!

One person told you to check out RBCD.net to me that's the best choice for home or personal defense a 9mm will hit just as hard as a 45acp and I have proved it will not exit. That being said it is also expensive figure $ 2.50 each time you pull the trigger however don't use it for target practice use the lower priced ammo. When I carry it's all I have in my Kimber 45acp

Ggrrlllll....that Kimber 45 is an amazing piece! I decided against it for my first hand gun because it was a little barrel heavy for me, went with my Glock 19, and am holding off to get a Kimber later.

• Upvote 1

I'm surprised to have something to add to the discussion! :)

I have a Glock 19 ~ 9mm for protection, and I carry Remington 9mm Luger 124 grain Brass Jacketed Hollow Point bullets.

These are maximum damage per shot. I intend to kill my assailant, not merely wound him, if given the opportunity.

Keep in mind that there is one dangerous individual on this earth who is out to get me and I'm serious about self-defense if he ever comes near me again.

This is what the retired cop-turned pro self-defense gun expert set me up with. A gun I could handle with rounds that would take care of the problem.

• Upvote 3

I'm surprised to have something to add to the discussion! :)

I have a Glock 19 ~ 9mm for protection, and I carry Remington 9mm Luger 124 grain Brass Jacketed Hollow Point bullets.

These are maximum damage per shot. I intend to kill my assailant, not merely wound him, if given the opportunity.

Keep in mind that there is one dangerous individual on this earth who is out to get me and I'm serious about self-defense if he ever comes near me again.

This is what the retired cop-turned pro self-defense gun expert set me up with. A gun I could handle with rounds that would take care of the problem.

Exactly. You never want to use it, but you never hesitate to use! Not for a second! Smart retire cop! Always remove the threat. Good for you!! Hoping to have my concealed weapons permit by the end of summer :)

• Upvote 2

Ggrrlllll....that Kimber 45 is an amazing piece! I decided against it for my first hand gun because it was a little barrel heavy for me, went with my Glock 19, and am holding off to get a Kimber later.

Hey Cherysh, have you looked into a Kimber Pro-Carry? It has a 4 inch barrel instead of a 5 inch. Might be a little lighter on the front end for ya.

gun-specs.jpg

I've had a Pro-Carry for about 12 years now and I LOVE IT!!! Never had any miss-feeds or stovepipes. I would never travel with anything else!!! biggrin.gif The photo shows a Kimber Pro TLE II but a Pro-Carry is basically the same. They also come with a aluminum frame, whitch makes em' a little bit lighter for c.c.

wpsmit, as mentioned above, the Hornady Personal Defence ammo is great, so is Federal hydra-shocks. biggrin.gif

• Upvote 2

No, I have not. They are always having gun shows here, so I will definitely check this one out. Looking at the spec sheet, its appealing! One thing I loved about the Kimbers I did look at, the grip and handle design was soooooo much more comfortable. Even though the kick on my Glock is not that bad, there is a little discomfort at the top end just because the size of my hand being smaller. Thanks for that info!!! :)thanks So appreciate it!

• Upvote 1

No, I have not. They are always having gun shows here, so I will definitely check this one out. Looking at the spec sheet, its appealing! One thing I loved about the Kimbers I did look at, the grip and handle design was soooooo much more comfortable. Even though the kick on my Glock is not that bad, there is a little discomfort at the top end just because the size of my hand being smaller. Thanks for that info!!! :)thanks So appreciate it!

No problem!! biggrin.gif One of the biggest reasons I went with a 1911, was how well it fit in my hand blink.gif and of course 1911's are still the best combat pistols in the world!!! biggrin.gif

325px-KimberProCarryII_1911.jpg

Dang sexy if ya ask me!!!wub.gif

procrimsoncarryii.jpg

• Upvote 3

No problem!! biggrin.gif One of the biggest reasons I went with a 1911, was how well it fit in my hand blink.gif and of course 1911's are still the best combat pistols in the world!!! biggrin.gif

procrimsoncarryii.jpg

Lol....HECK YEAH IT IS!!! Been a while since I have posted anything on DV...but this absolutely one of my most favorite subjects!! Handguns, gun rights, and all things tactical!!! Lmao love it!!

• Upvote 2

I own and carry a Glock 40, Model 27 . I have the clip extension which make it easier to handle. I shoot Blazer, Remington, but prefer Federal. Most cities and even small towns have public and private gun clubs. Join the NRA and get lots of info on where , what , and the how's of gun control and ownership. Good luck and hope you never have to be put in a situation where you have to point and shoot anyone in self defense.

• Upvote 3

I use the ones that go BOOM every time I squeze. :woot:

procrimsoncarryii.jpg

I love the 1911. It is the greatest side arm ever divised. It is very hard to concel though. So I went with the next best. Glock 27 mini. Goes bang and hits what I aim at. Everytime.............

Lol....HECK YEAH IT IS!!! Been a while since I have posted anything on DV...but this absolutely one of my most favorite subjects!! Handguns, gun rights, and all things tactical!!! Lmao love it!!

After reading I gave you a "+" any woman that understands and likes the concept maybe just maybe. After this old bald fat mans heart. :blink:

Glock 26 gen 4 9mm

Man you just opened up a can of worms. That question is like a toothbrush. Every one has one and none of them are the same. That is what is so good about America you can have your own Idea un every thing....... Great question. :woot::unsure::blink:

First, have you taken a safety / self defense / CCW course? You will learn a LOT there, including how to pick your carry ammo.

I personally use Hornady in my daily carry weapon, because I've gone through box after box of it with no FTF/FTE. Every gun is different, so you'll need to get to the range and figure out what works with yours.

Tip: Find two different kinds of ammo.

First, find the one that fires and loads every time and fits the description below. This will be a more expensive ammunition, but if you are carrying for self defense you do not want to risk your life on cheap ammo!

Second, find another cheaper ammo that you can take to the range and practice, practice, practice. Practice drawing your weapon from where you will actually carry it in daily life. Practice firing, practice loading, practice everything. The more familiar you are and the more experience you have, the less likely you are to have an accident.

:tiphat:

Just be sure to use a factory load that says 'personal defense','personal protection' or something similar on the box. If you do have to use your handgun - you will end up in court even if it was a justifiable act and you will spend at least $25,000 in legal costs.

Good post :twothumbs:

I meant to add that CheaperThanDirt.com is supposed to be a great place to get ammo and weapons.

I spend way too much money at that site. :lol:

• Upvote 6

I use a Springfield Armory XD .40 I think it is perhaps the best poly frame weapon on the market.

My ammo of choice for self defense is Hornady Critical Defense. It is a "2 hit" projectile and caliber. The projectile hitting the bad guy and the bad guy hitting the ground!

• Upvote 1

I use a Springfield Armory XD .40 I think it is perhaps the best poly frame weapon on the market.

My ammo of choice for self defense is Hornady Critical Defense. It is a "2 hit" projectile and caliber. The projectile hitting the bad guy and the bad guy hitting the ground!

I have the XD 9, probably my favorite handgun to shoot next to my S&W .40.

:twothumbs:

• Upvote 4

I agree with Timberwolf. I don't think you can beat the 1911. But that is just my personal opinion. I do have a few 9mms. My favorite 9mm round for defense would be 115 grain Corbon jacketed hollow points. If you use them in a glock, you may have to hone the ramp a little.

Roadrunner

Edited by Roadrunner
  • Upvote 5

I have the Hornady critical defense in my 9mm, .380. and .45. Just to go to the range to shoot, a lot cheaper stuff out there. Check Wal-Mart in your area. Some have the ammo, some don't.

I would have to disagree with you about the "cheap stuff" unless you are talking about a two for one sale. You should use the best ammunition available for reliability. Off brand ammunition has poorer quality control and more misfires. Even if you say that it is just for practice you should not use the cheap stuff. Practice with the same ammunition that you will use for defense. That will get you used the the ammunition and gun combination and with practice the bullets will go where you want them. The last thing you want to hear when you need your pistol is to pull the trigger and hear "pfffttttt"

For personal defense I use Winchester 115gr Super X. What is most important beside what type of quality ammunition you use is making sure you hit your target. Even if you use standard ball ammunition, just hit your target center of mass. If your target does not go down, hit it again.

That being said, your first defense is not putting yourself in a situation where you need your pistol. But when all fails because of yours or someone else's mistake, just be glad you are prepared.

To read disclaimer highlight from here

This is my own opinion based on good judgement and too much experience. Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement. Since it is my own opinion, I am entitled to it. I will allow this opinion to be open to discussion for the benefit of all but not open for ridicule, argument or insulting remarks. This offer is void in some locations, and expires midnight at the end of the Mayan calander, IQD RV, or Fred the Wonder Horse's Birthday, which ever is in the middle. Tax and Tax extra, and void if the month has an R in it. Your mileage may vary. No gurus or pumpers were harmed in the formation of this opinion. To here

Everyone have a great night and a better day tomorrow.

• Upvote 1