Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

First off, I do NOT want to have this thread become a discussion of religion ... got a belly full of that with a couple of previous threads this week and really won't read anything on this thread that is some long dissertation on what is or is not Christian.

I am just asking a question, and for me it is a serious question.

In one of the previous religion threads it was brought up in the discussion that Catholics are NOT Christians. Yup, you read that right. More than one good Born Again Christian brought forward the theory ... er fact, that Catholicism is in no way a Christian brotherhood.

So, having accepted that premise since there were no, repeat NO worshipers who call themselves Christians standing up to support the Catholics as Christians, we do not, repeat NOT need to go through all that again.

But when someone asks for prayers, is that Christian only? What about the non-Christian ... oh, ... let's say ... perhaps ... a Catholic for instance. Are their prayers welcomed? Will they be of any use at all if the request is for prayers to the Christian God, or His Son Jesus, and heaven forbid any Catholics should pray to the Blessed Virgin Mary to intercede on our behalf. I think that is what started the Catholic being non-Christian argument ... er, discussion.

So back to the request for prayers. Do they have to be to the Christian God? Or will prayers from the Catholics be helpful at all? And if the non-Christian Catholic prayers are okay, and requested along with the Born Again Christian prayers, what about some Muslim who might be on the forum and might want to pray for someone who is asking for prayer? Will Muslim prayers make a difference? Will the person requesting prayer feel good that even a Muslim will pray for them? Or will they feel the entire fabric of prayer being forwarded to the Christian God in a Christian Heaven, might become tainted with such a sacreligious thing as a Muslim prayer.

Let's go further down the road. If the non-Christian prayer is okay, and if the Muslim prayer is also okay, what about the Wiccan prayer (Wiccan being the modern day practice of earth religion, or witchcraft). What about those positive thoughts and pagan prayer as they know it? And what about even more deep into the abyss; what about the prayer of transcendental meditation, or positive thought and mantra chanting? What about ... well, you get the idea. Where do you draw the line?

Yes, I want to know where you draw the line. It is already pretty well established that requesting prayer is a request for Christian prayer to God the Father or His Son Jesus. But if someone wants to offer prayer for someone, where do you draw the line between useful prayer and downright silliness? eh?

I am seriously wanting an answer. Please make it a SHORT answer, no sermonizing or bible study lessons. We have had all of that I think some of us can take for a while. Just a straight-to-the-point, no reasoning required, answer about where the line is between ... as I said before ...

Think you can handle that kind of query assignment? You should have the answer instantly if you are sure of your faith, and should be able to type out a sentence in a few moments.

Thanks for answering for those who do, and for those who don't, well thanks for peeking in to see what this was about.

:)

smee2

p.s. I see another request up today for some Marines who fell in the last week in the fulfillment of their duty in Afghanistan. I am not sure if my prayers would be of use, or detrimental. The answers to this question, the nice SHORT answers of a sentence should give me enough of the popular opinion to know whether or not to pray for them.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I am a Christian, although not a Catholic. But one of my daughters and two of my grandchildren are Catholic, and I know for a fact that they are also Christian. This is a dumb argument and anyone who questions whether Catholics are Christian are "one tree short of a hammock." Smee, hope this helps. I tried to keep it short, but also to answer your question. But I couldn't do it without a judgement included. So be it. Fran

P. S. Go ahead and pray. That's what I'm going to do.

P. P. S. There is no "line."

Or is that P. S. S.? haha I always get this wrong.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Well Smee first off I think it's weird and a bit hypocritical of you to emphasize you only want short answers seeing as how you have never given a short reply yourself.... I also think you are just upset over the recent thread and are just trying to call a few people out..... Now to answer your question: When I ask for prayer requests, I am simply asking my DV family to lift me up to the Lord, take from that what you will...

• Upvote 10

Smee, my heart fell heavy with all the threads this week also. Where do we draw the line you say. I think that would be an individual decision. Its what they want to accept. As for me, there is no line... of separation of prayer, Smee, my prayers are priceless, because my prayers are filled with the wisdom of the Holy Spirit. I won't even ponder the thought that my prayers are useless. No need to debate or discuss it where it gets out of hand. So simply stated from me, no quotes, no scriptures, no links, it's from my heart.

You make a valid point. ;)

• Upvote 3

1st, Catholic's are Christian's period. But for me and my family we only want prayers to the Good Lord Jesus. For all others thanks for the thought but I personally dont want them. Its alright for you to pray to who you want I dont care. you can pray to a rock or what ever that is your right. JMO

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

First off, I do NOT want to have this thread become a discussion of religion ... got a belly full of that with a couple of previous threads this week and really won't read anything on this thread that is some long dissertation on what is or is not Christian.

I am just asking a question, and for me it is a serious question.

In one of the previous religion threads it was brought up in the discussion that Catholics are NOT Christians. Yup, you read that right. More than one good Born Again Christian brought forward the theory ... er fact, that Catholicism is in no way a Christian brotherhood.

So, having accepted that premise since there were no, repeat NO worshipers who call themselves Christians standing up to support the Catholics as Christians, we do not, repeat NOT need to go through all that again.

But when someone asks for prayers, is that Christian only? What about the non-Christian ... oh, ... let's say ... perhaps ... a Catholic for instance. Are their prayers welcomed? Will they be of any use at all if the request is for prayers to the Christian God, or His Son Jesus, and heaven forbid any Catholics should pray to the Blessed Virgin Mary to intercede on our behalf. I think that is what started the Catholic being non-Christian argument ... er, discussion.

So back to the request for prayers. Do they have to be to the Christian God? Or will prayers from the Catholics be helpful at all? And if the non-Christian Catholic prayers are okay, and requested along with the Born Again Christian prayers, what about some Muslim who might be on the forum and might want to pray for someone who is asking for prayer? Will Muslim prayers make a difference? Will the person requesting prayer feel good that even a Muslim will pray for them? Or will they feel the entire fabric of prayer being forwarded to the Christian God in a Christian Heaven, might become tainted with such a sacreligious thing as a Muslim prayer.

Let's go further down the road. If the non-Christian prayer is okay, and if the Muslim prayer is also okay, what about the Wiccan prayer (Wiccan being the modern day practice of earth religion, or witchcraft). What about those positive thoughts and pagan prayer as they know it? And what about even more deep into the abyss; what about the prayer of transcendental meditation, or positive thought and mantra chanting? What about ... well, you get the idea. Where do you draw the line?

Yes, I want to know where you draw the line. It is already pretty well established that requesting prayer is a request for Christian prayer to God the Father or His Son Jesus. But if someone wants to offer prayer for someone, where do you draw the line between useful prayer and downright silliness? eh?

I am seriously wanting an answer. Please make it a SHORT answer, no sermonizing or bible study lessons. We have had all of that I think some of us can take for a while. Just a straight-to-the-point, no reasoning required, answer about where the line is between ... as I said before ...

Think you can handle that kind of query assignment? You should have the answer instantly if you are sure of your faith, and should be able to type out a sentence in a few moments.

Thanks for answering for those who do, and for those who don't, well thanks for peeking in to see what this was about.

smee2

p.s. I see another request up today for some Marines who fell in the last week in the fulfillment of their duty in Afghanistan. I am not sure if my prayers would be of use, or detrimental. The answers to this question, the nice SHORT answers of a sentence should give me enough of the popular opinion to know whether or not to pray for them.

YES ! Catholics are Christian. Anyone who says they are not, simply has no discernment of what Christianity is. By the way, I'm a WASP.

I draw the line where Jesus did. If you believe that Jesus Christ is your savior and Lord, I covet your prayers. If you don't believe that, I don't covet your prayers.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

I John 4:15

"Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God abideth in him, and he in God."

I am not Catholic . . . but any Catholic that believes the above is a Christian. I do not believe the Catholic Church saves them but Jesus the Christ.

• Upvote 5

I John 4:15

"Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God abideth in him, and he in God."

I am not Catholic . . . but any Catholic that believes the above is a Christian. I do not believe the Catholic Church saves them but Jesus the Christ.

yup

• Upvote 1

Man is imperfect and nothing points that up better than our confused attempts to proclain what is perfect.

God has told us that His thoughts are not our thoughts and His ways are not our ways yet we second guess God at every turn and try to define him to our comfort.

If you accept that Jesus is of God and his command was that we should love one another and that we should Judge not, what inspires all the ruckas?

• Upvote 2

Well Smee first off I think it's weird and a bit hypocritical of you to emphasize you only want short answers seeing as how you have never given a short reply yourself.... I also think you are just upset over the recent thread and are just trying to call a few people out..... Now to answer your question: When I ask for prayer requests, I am simply asking my DV family to lift me up to the Lord, take from that what you will...

You are right about me being a hypocrit ... I don't know how to keep an answer short. You got me.

And yes, I am upset by two recent threads. To see people writing that Catholics are not Christians just stunned me. If it had been only one opinion it would not have hit so hard. But it was not just one opinion.

But no, I am not calling anyone out. I am seriously wondering if my intent in praying for someone is sufficient, or if they want prayer from Christians only, and in their way, through Jesus Christ. As one commentator already posted, for him and his family he only wants prayers that are directed there. Prayer from anywhere else is not welcomed by him. Which is part of what I was trying to get here, that kind of answer.

And, bamagirl, according to what you want in a requested prayer, I think I qualify. I am a recovering Catholic but find it hard to turn my back on all of what I was taught. One of the things I was taught was that asking for intercession on someone's behalf, one should pray with that person in the way they pray. You want your requested prayers to lift you up to the Lord. I can do that. I can sincerely pray that you are lifted up to the Lord. Which is a good thing since I remember you making requests for prayer and I offered up such prayer for you and yours.

One of the things I had always loved about the people I have met here on DV is that they are eager to help, and that includes prayer requests. That they ask to begin with means they trust each other. That they respond once asked means they value each other. What better basis for friendship ... trust, and feeling valued?

Thanks bamagirl for taking your time to respond. And just for you I will try to keep my comments shorter from now on.

smee2

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yes many catholics are christian the only problem i have is when they pray to the mother mary. 1st thing is they need to understand yes Mary magdalan was jesus Christ's mother. She was a carrier for GOD's son. She is very special in that sense, but She should NOT be prayed to. Jesus christ is the only one that will answer your prayers NOT mary. This all goes back to worshipping idols. Dont do it. Like markinsa had a thread up, God is a very jealous God thats just the way it is because we are HIS creation no one elses. He expects praise and worship from his creation which is US. This is what I know and my opinion. Praise Jesus christ and no one else.

Edited by easyrider
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 5

Ok I guess I am going to weigh in on this topic. Christians are followers of Christ, the Catholic church believes in God and Jesus but have it a little screwed up and below is a list why.

1) You don't need a priest to confess your sins you go straight to God

2) You don't pray to Saints you pray to God and Jesus

3) Catholics Idolize the pope and Saints putting them before God ( This is a No No)

4) Saying 10 Our Fathers and 5 Hail Mary's does not forgive sin you have to go straight to God and ask forgiveness.

My wife was Catholic and I have sat in on many a mass and I can say by my experience that while at mass I didn't learn a whole lot about the bible. JMO

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 3

Yes many catholics are christian the only problem i have is when they pray to the mother mary. 1st thing is they need to understand yes Mary magdalan was jesus Christ's mother. She was a carrier for GOD's son. She is very special in that sense, but She should NOT be prayed to. Jesus christ is the only one that will answer your prayers NOT mary. This all goes back to worshipping idols. Dont do it. Like markinsa had a thread up, God is a very jealous God thats just the way it is because we are HIS creation no one elses. He expects praise and worship from his creation which is US. This is what I know and my opinion. Praise Jesus christ and no one else.

I agree with you easy... but one way I have always been told to look at it... being born in a garage, does not make you a car... neither does being born to a church going family make you a Christian believer! That can go for Catholics, Baptists, Pentecostals, Charismatics, Episcopal s, Methodists... whatever! It's an individual decision, and each person's personal epic journey.

That being said... it is a valid point, not everyone here in the DV family agrees on everything... go figure!rolleyes.gif So maybe we need to lighten up a bit when we ask for prayer... not everyone is going to pray like you and me... that's o.k.... just say "thank you" and move on with your life if it's not how you would do it. Besides, I know over the years my prayers have changed drastically from where I started, and realistically I am not finished yet either... so I need to give others a chance to grow, learn, and change as well. Simple as that! wink.gif

Edited by RodandStaff
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I agree with you easy... but one way I have always been told to look at it... being born in a garage, does not make you a car... neither does being born to a church going family make you a Christian believer! That can go for Catholics, Baptists, Pentecostals, Charismatics, Episcopal s, Methodists... whatever! It's an individual decision, and each person's personal epic journey.

That being said... it is a valid point, not everyone here in the DV family agrees on everything... go figure!rolleyes.gif So maybe we need to lighten up a bit when we ask for prayer... not everyone is going to pray like you and me... that's o.k.... just say "thank you" and move on with your life if it's not how you would do it. Simple as that! wink.gif

agreed a prayer is a prayer to eaches own i sppose.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Smee, I think I got my feelings hurt by your original post just like you did with the other threads... I truly didn't mean to be harsh, please forgive me. We are all not gonna believe the same way but that doesn't mean we can't care about each other all the same.... BTW, I always enjoy your long post and often wonder why you don't write books, please don't shorten your posts or do anything different because I got miffed and made a snide remark.. I apologize.

• Upvote 8

agreed a prayer is a prayer to eaches own i sppose.

there is a proper way to pray and that is to the Father in the name of his son Jesus. not everyone prays to the Father. I recommend if you haven't read and have an hour to read Watchman Nee's book "The Latent Power of the Soul". It opened my eyes to prayer. I'll leave you with this, when you pray for someone what does your minds eye see? Ponder that.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Beyond all the intellectualistic and rather snobby semantics diatribes on who's who when it comes to true religion etc.....

In the end every one ( of those who do believe in something) has a very personal relationship with their God ( the one they were taught by others or got convinced themselves to believe in).

• Upvote 3

Smee,

It's hard to answer this thread short but I will try :) and not want to get into much details... when someone is asking for a prayer..I always pray according to my belief. I will pray for anyone that is open for a prayer otherwise my prayers will just bounce off the wall and go nowhere :) All of us are in different level of faith and what we belief... I believe what I belief because I experience it first time and I know that I know when I pray, my God hears my prayers and how He wants to answer the prayers, I will leave it up to Him as He knows eveyrthing and what is good for us. We can argue about what we belief and who we serve and what side we are on, but above all things, LOVE will be the gauge in everything we do whether we are a believer or not. If I can speak eloquently about what I believe and yet I don't have love in my heart for others, nothing I do will matter. We can argue about all things but one thing I want to ask... can we be like the good samaritan...?

• Upvote 2

YES ! Catholics are Christian. Anyone who says they are not, simply has no discernment of what Christianity is. By the way, I'm a WASP.

I draw the line where Jesus did. If you believe that Jesus Christ is your savior and Lord, I covet your prayers. If you don't believe that, I don't covet your prayers.

You hit the nail on the head. If you truly believe that Jesus is Christ and salvation is through Him, then your prayers are welcomed. If you do not believe in Christ or are only a cultural Christian, your prayers are nto welcomed. The bible says that the prayers of a sinful man are detestable to God, so then why would I want a man praying for me who does not have a saving relationship with Christ?

• Upvote 3

Beyond all the intellectualistic and rather snobby semantics diatribes on who's who when it comes to true religion etc.....

In the end every one ( of those who do believe in something) has a very personal relationship with their God ( the one they were taught by others or got convinced themselves to believe in).

with all due respect you have a very worldly view of God and prayer. There is only ONE way to the Father and that is through Jesus Christ, His words, not mine. People will pray over you and inadvertantly curse you in the process, those prayers I place the blood of Jesus between them and myself. The soulish realm is being unlocked more and more, and it isn't God's will for us to operate like that. True worshippers worship in "spirit and truth" once again God's word, not mine.

• Upvote 2

with all due respect you have a very worldly view of God and prayer. There is only ONE way to the Father and that is through Jesus Christ, His words, not mine. People will pray over you and inadvertantly curse you in the process, those prayers I place the blood of Jesus between them and myself. The soulish realm is being unlocked more and more, and it isn't God's will for us to operate like that. True worshippers worship in "spirit and truth" once again God's word, not mine.

And I respect your point... But don' t you agree on the simple assumption that the Religion one believes in ( and probably deems as the only real one) is usually heavily conditioned by the geographic area one was born at ?

Like, for instance if you were born in the Middle East there's a 95% chance you'd be a Muslim.

If we are to believe that God is Omniscient and Almighty then we can only draw the conclusion He wanted more Religions and more Creeds to exist on Planet Earth...And consequently He knew that everyone most likely would deem their own religion as the real and the Infallible one.

Edited by umbertino
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Wow ... to start with the mother of Jesus was not, repeat NOT Mary Magdalene. That particular Mary was a prostitute who came to Jesus, confessed her sins basically, and was taken into the inner circle of Jesus and his disciples.

And God is a very jealous God? That is part of the reason I have questions. Is not jealousy something Jesus warned against? It is a sin, something we are not to indulge in. God, Jesus, perfect beings ... and it is okay that they have this "sin" of jealousy so deeply rooted that "He expects praise and worship from his creation"?

Easy, I enjoy reading your opinions about the dinar and RV and all things pertaining thereto. But in this I think you are off track. Again, just my opinion.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

And I respect your point... But don' t you agree on the simple assumption that the Religion one believes in ( and probably deems as the only real one) is usually heavily conditioned by the geographic area one was born at ?

Like, for instance if you were born in the Middle East there's a 95% chance you'd be a Muslim.

If we are to believe that God is Omniscient and Almighty then we can only draw the conclusion He wanted more Religions and more Creeds to exist on Planet Earth...And consequently He knew that everyone most likely would deem their own religion as the real and the Infallible one.

respectfully disagree, there is one way to God and that is through his son Jesus Christ, the name above all names. Jesus, king of kings and Lord of Lords. You believe God reveals himself through religion, he reveals himself through his son Jesus, a personal "relationship". There is a way that seems right to a man but its end leads to destruction. once again God's word, not mine. The stars witness salvation to mankind so that throws geographical location out the window. bottom line is the Bible is my reference of authority, until we can agree to use it as our authority our debate will be futile, you will use your reference and I use mine and therefore we may not come to agree on TRUTH!

• Upvote 1

Smee, oh my what a topic! I have a rule that I try to live by and that is to not discuss Religion or Politics with darn near anyone. I am going to break it for a second though. I guess that I will be in the minority here, as I am a Christian but not to the point that I would not take any other religions prayers or even try to understand their religion. Wars are too often started in the name of religion and I am sick about that. I would not expect everyone to have to believe in my beliefs or even try to change them. Believe what you believe and have the decency to allow others theirs as well is my position. I try to be tollerant and accepting, I don't always succeed but I do attempt it. Anyway, long story short, it is my belief that I would be honored to accept anyone's prayers whatever the religion and be grateful to have them. Sorry about the length of my post. Thanks Smee

r2

• Upvote 4

Ok I guess I am going to weigh in on this topic. Christians are followers of Christ, the Catholic church believes in God and Jesus but have it a little screwed up and below is a list why.

1) You don't need a priest to confess your sins you go straight to God

2) You don't pray to Saints you pray to God and Jesus

3) Catholics Idolize the pope and Saints putting them before God ( This is a No No)

4) Saying 10 Our Fathers and 5 Hail Mary's does not forgive sin you have to go straight to God and ask forgiveness.

My wife was Catholic and I have sat in on many a mass and I can say by my experience that while at mass I didn't learn a whole lot about the bible. JMO

Small point here ... Catholics do not pray to the saints, as if they are praying to God, expecting the saints can work miracles. We know that is not so. But Catholics do pray to the Saints asking them to intercede for them with God. And they pray to mother Mary for her to intercede with her Son on our behalf. We don't expect Mary or the saints to work miracles. We do pray that they will speak on our behalf, Big difference there.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1