Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Iraqi government to rest for a week

Iraqi government to rest for a week

22/03/2012 09:29

BAGHDAD, March 20 (AKnews) - The Iraqi government will hold the work of its departments from next Sunday until the beginning of April ahead of the Arab League summit and and to reduce traffic across Iraq provinces.

The adviser to the Iraqi government Mariam al-Rayyes told AKnews that the Council of Ministers made the decision on Tuesday as part of preparations for the summit.

According to the Public Holidays Act, Iraqis have 150 days of holidays per year, and more than 30% of these holidays are taken on religious occasions and festivals.

Iraq has hosted the Arab summit twice in the history of the League; first in 1978 and again in 1990. Iraq is expected to host the 23rd Summit on March 29.

By Mohammed Tayyeb

RN/SS/AKnews

• Upvote 1

So shutdown the workers, I'm guessing the banks are closed perhaps? Banks closed would be quite an obstacle to any RV'ing to happen... So no RV until at least after April 1. But then, hard for us to imagine banks being closed for a week, or 10 days....:huh:

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

from what i understand, the banks are closed until april as well. but why do you say no banks open = no rv? i would think the exact opposite. i would think that any national monetary policy change would be preceded by a banking holiday. remember the bank holiday of 1933 when our monetary policy changed in the US? think of it like this. when the car factors is about to make a tool change what do they do? they shut down the factory for a few days for change-over. i would think the same goes for banks. this is just my humble opinion mind you.

what is interesting is that at this point all commercial activity is now brought to a screeching halt in iraq. we saw them shut down:

cbi (1 day)

banks

government

roads

roads to the green zone

boarder to iran

all businesses

i've never seen or heard anything like this in all my life.

• Upvote 8

from what i understand, the banks are closed until april as well. but why do you say no banks open = no rv? i would think the exact opposite. i would think that any national monetary policy change would be preceded by a banking holiday. remember the bank holiday of 1933 when our monetary policy changed in the US? think of it like this. when the car factors is about to make a tool change what do they do? they shut down the factory for a few days for change-over. i would think the same goes for banks. this is just my humble opinion mind you.

what is interesting is that at this point all commercial activity is now brought to a screeching halt in iraq. we saw them shut down:

cbi (1 day)

banks

government

roads

roads to the green zone

boarder to iran

all businesses

great points trinity...........with everything shut down and locked down............a media blackout could be next during the summit...........and the education of the iraqis could continue..............with maybe the truth of the rv..........jmo.............GO DINAR

• Upvote 1

4 days for the RV which Shabs has always said he would need and 3 for the summit - makes perfect sense to me. The last two days are their normal weekend - I hope and pray this is it but time will tell. Thanks for the post! Go RV! :)

• Upvote 1

Whenever the GOI is on holiday, a lot of things seem to get done. If you follow the last few holidays they have had; more bills and laws seem to be passed and signed off on than when the GOI is " in session"

Thank you Rogue Knight. I completely agree with you

If anybody has been keeping up and paying attention, they would know that not much gets done while the MPs are in session, the work is done when they are out of session, and I feel their work ethic is in tact. It is their culture that we don't understand, so it is easy to criticize. That's easy, especially when criticizing the Iraqi holidays when many here are at work on their company's time and equipment commenting on someone else's work ethic, or how they "behave". Anybody got a nose bleed?

Edited by Carrello
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

cbi (1 day)

banks

government

roads

roads to the green zone

boarder to iran

all businesses

+1 to you. I like the way you think!

great points trinity...........with everything shut down and locked down............a media blackout could be next during the summit...........and the education of the iraqis could continue..............with maybe the truth of the rv..........jmo.............GO DINAR

You called it Papster....News Blackout!

Force calls for political blocs to pause a media silence to create an appropriate atmosphere for the Arab summit

• Upvote 1

With the Arab Summit upon them there is no way the GOI is shutting down for a week. NO WAY. To much going on. Now they may tell us they are shutting down

but its not happening. And now a NEWS BLACKOUT! There is stuff going on that they dont want outsiders knowing. IMO.

GOOO R/V