Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

CBI WEBSITE LOCATED IN HOUSTON, TX, USA

fufat

Hello All,

I was looking for add-ons for my firefox browser and found one called Flagfox. It shows the origin of the website that you are viewing. I noticed when I went to the Central Bank of Iraq, that Flagfox showed the site originates on an United States web server in Houston, Texas. When I clicked on the U.S. icon it took me to a site (geotool) that shows all the information about the site, ip address, where the its located on a map among other info. The home page for Warka Bank originates in the U.S. but the secure log on page for online banking is in Jordan. I thought maybe the program was faulty so I check out Central Banks of Brazil, India Taiwan and Ireland and found that all were showing their respectful origins. Strangely I checked Afghanistan's Central Bank site and found that its in the U.S.

I thought this was interesting and needed to be noticed.

I don't know what make of it. Maybe someone could bring some light to this.

Here's the link to what I found.

http://geotool.flagfox.net/?ip=174.133.205.219&host=www.cbi.iq

Fufat

• Upvote 2

Hello All,

I was looking for add-ons for my firefox browser and found one called Flagfox. It shows the origin of the website that you are viewing. I noticed when I went to the Central Bank of Iraq, that Flagfox showed the site originates on an United States web server in Houston, Texas. When I clicked on the U.S. icon it took me to a site (geotool) that shows all the information about the site, ip address, where the its located on a map among other info. The home page for Warka Bank originates in the U.S. but the secure log on page for online banking is in Jordan. I thought maybe the program was faulty so I check out Central Banks of Brazil, India Taiwan and Ireland and found that all were showing their respectful origins. Strangely I checked Afghanistan's Central Bank site and found that its in the U.S.

I thought this was interesting and needed to be noticed.

I don't know what make of it. Maybe someone could bring some light to this.

Here's the link to what I found.

http://geotool.flagf...host=www.cbi.iq

Fufat

It maybe as simple as we have a more stable source of electricity and technology than most countries do. Just a thought.

All,

I know I am very curious but it has always payed off in my decisions. Any input even if it is pure opinion would be appreciated...

1. If the CBI website is located in the (USA) would that mean the U.S. Government, banking sector and Federal Reserve has a lot more control over what is displayed on the monitors (currency fluctuation) and what occurs in the auctions, etc? :blink:

2. Also if that is the case would the account(s) held by U.S. citizens and U.S. passport holders have the same level of visibility as a U.S. banking account? ;)

3. Does that mean the account and account holder will be held to the same laws even if the account holder is trying to manipulate the system because they have the illusion of an international account? :):huh:

4. How does that affect the iraqi Local Nations? Will their funds be observed with the same scrutiny? :unsure:

Just courious and want to make sure we are all on the same page :D

Enigam-

• Upvote 5

This is not an uncommon practice for "load balancing" a site geographically. However, if I were hosting an important site for the infrastructure of a country involved in war and terrorist attacks, I might be inclined to host it somewhere else, too. :)

This is not an uncommon practice for "load balancing" a site geographically. However, if I were hosting an important site for the infrastructure of a country involved in war and terrorist attacks, I might be inclined to host it somewhere else, too. :)

Just FYI, this is who is apparently hosting the site:

NetRange: 174.132.0.0 - 174.133.255.255

CIDR: 174.132.0.0/15

OriginAS: AS36420, AS30315, AS13749, AS21844

NetName: NETBLK-THEPLANET-BLK-15

NetHandle: NET-174-132-0-0-1

Parent: NET-174-0-0-0-0

NetType: Direct Allocation

NameServer: NS2.THEPLANET.COM

NameServer: NS1.THEPLANET.COM

RegDate: 2008-06-17

Updated: 2008-06-17

Ref: http://whois.arin.net/rest/net/NET-174-132-0-0-1

OrgName: ThePlanet.com Internet Services, Inc.

OrgId: TPCM

Address: 315 Capitol

Address: Suite 205

City: Houston

StateProv: TX

PostalCode: 77002

RegDate: 1999-08-31

Updated: 2010-10-13

Ref: http://whois.arin.net/rest/org/TPCM

If I'm not mistaken Ali's site is at the same host so that he can get the absolute fastest update when they change the CBI.IQ rate online......nothing new and of course any wore torn country that the US just happens to be invasing and helping rebuild while a war still exists would probably have their Main Bank servers or hosts in the U.S., JMHO

Go Skins

Go RV

i would guess the planet makes up close to 10% if not more of the net.

the infrastructure in iraq doesnt exist for them to host, no big pipes over here let alone fiber, everything is radio (air, wireless)...the electricity?? yah right!!!

it doesn't surprise me they host in U.S. and I'm sure this will be temp until they get their stuff together...

Edited by quadraph0nic

Guest Ratatap

It comes down to what the company offers on many levels. This is actually something I know a little about. Here is there fact sheet for the hosting company. Does not hurt to know Bush either.

The Planets Quick Facts

• Largest privately–owned dedicated hosting provider
  • More than 20,000 customers worldwide
  • More than 48,000 servers and 15.7 million websites under management
  • Seven wholly owned and managed SAS 70 Type II certified data centers (2 in Houston, 5 in Dallas)
  • London data center
  • More than 220,000 sq. ft. of raised floor data center space
  • Two fully redundant, geographically diverse, Network Operations Centers that provide 24x7x365 monitoring
  • 250+ Gbps of transit network capacity to six Tier 1 backbone networks
  • More than 500 employees

They are impressive to say the least...

GO RV !!!!!

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wow, talk about a thread that hits close to home. I'm an IT guy by trade. In fact, I was actually employed by the company here in question. This was actually my bread and butter for several years. I see most of this is answered, but I'll add some "insider" information.

This is not an uncommon practice for "load balancing" a site geographically. However, if I were hosting an important site for the infrastructure of a country involved in war and terrorist attacks, I might be inclined to host it somewhere else, too. :)Just FYI, this is who is apparently hosting the site:NetRange: 174.132.0.0 - 174.133.255.255CIDR: 174.132.0.0/15OriginAS: AS36420, AS30315, AS13749, AS21844NetName: NETBLK-THEPLANET-BLK-15NetHandle: NET-174-132-0-0-1Parent: NET-174-0-0-0-0NetType: Direct AllocationNameServer: NS2.THEPLANET.COMNameServer: NS1.THEPLANET.COMRegDate: 2008-06-17Updated: 2008-06-17Ref: http://whois.arin.net/rest/net/NET-174-132-0-0-1OrgName: ThePlanet.com Internet Services, Inc.OrgId: TPCMAddress: 315 CapitolAddress: Suite 205City: HoustonStateProv: TXPostalCode: 77002Country: USRegDate: 1999-08-31Updated: 2010-10-13Ref: http://whois.arin.net/rest/org/TPCM

i would guess the planet makes up close to 10% if not more of the net. the infrastructure in iraq doesnt exist for them to host, no big pipes over here let alone fiber, everything is radio (air, wireless)...the electricity?? yah right!!!it doesn't surprise me they host in U.S. and I'm sure this will be temp until they get their stuff together...

ThePlanet, was once called Rackshack back in the early 2000's. The parent company was called EV1, an ISP (at one time we were actually a contender to AOL). I was a supervisor in the call center when a few of us were chosen to start up the hosting side of the business. The Marsh brothers saw where the money was and started investing heavily into that side and officially unveiled Rackshack. We offered prices that genuinely couldn't be beat. We literally exploded onto the scene and in the first year, we had the dubious distinction of hosting 1% of the ENTIRE internet. (Even back then that was quite a feat.) I'm not sure they can still lay claim to that. Anyway, we hosted (or COLO'ed) some sites from around the world. Some sites that are fairly big today was there at some point. I worked there for three years and it was very much a "learn as you go" situation. Many of the policies and procedures I came up with are still in place. In fact, several of the employees I hired stayed on when they merged with ThePlanet and have their own depts now.

I'm not surprised at all that CBI is hosted there, they are one of the largest and most stable hosting sites on the planet. Literally. Oh, and for all you conspiracy theorists, while the govt doesn't actively control anything that is hosted there, after 9/11 they were involved with monitoring the sites hosted there. We actually found out we hosted a jihadist website, but was told by CIA not to shut it down because they monitored ip's, and traffic to and fro.

a lot of members on here that claim to be in iraq have been called liars because their IP addresses show up as being in TX. it was later found out that many (if not all) iraq internet communications are routed through TX. i was thinking it was just U.S. military internet but maybe its more than just that.

NIPR net often routes things through California, and I've had whiteline service that resolved in Virginia, as well as DRS that resolved in Italy.

It comes down to what the company offers on many levels. This is actually something I know a little about. Here is there fact sheet for the hosting company. Does not hurt to know Bush either.The Planets Quick Facts

• Largest privately–owned dedicated hosting provider
  • More than 20,000 customers worldwide
  • More than 48,000 servers and 15.7 million websites under management
  • Seven wholly owned and managed SAS 70 Type II certified data centers (2 in Houston, 5 in Dallas)
  • London data center
  • More than 220,000 sq. ft. of raised floor data center space
  • Two fully redundant, geographically diverse, Network Operations Centers that provide 24x7x365 monitoring
  • 250+ Gbps of transit network capacity to six Tier 1 backbone networks
  • More than 500 employees

They are impressive to say the least...GO RV !!!!!

Rackshack was already one of the most respected webhosts. I moved on to NASA and left my team behind, but kept in touch. Right about the time I went off to Afghanistan (in 04, got my first million dinars in 05), I found out about the merger. RS was gone, and now they were ThePlanet. RS was huge already, the merger doubled up their hosting and they were still growing. Now, as you've pointed out, they have multiple locations, multiple redundant facilities and more bandwidth than we could have dreamed for when I was employed there.

Theres nothing shady at all about the CBI site being hosted there. They simply chose one of the best providers available to host. To me, that just gives me confidence that someone over there is being smart, by putting one of the most important websites, somewhere where is less likely to ever go down and cause hysteria. ;)

• Upvote 4