Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Iraq sings a contract with Iran to import gas for 5 years

A natural gas refinery at the South Pars gas field in Iran. Photo: AP

Baghdad (IraqiNews.com) – The Iraqi Ministry of Electricity announced on Wednesday that a new five-year gas import contract had been signed with Iran, indicating that the volume of gas imports would reach 50 million cubic meters per day.

The Iraqi Ministry of Electricity mentioned in a statement that the quantity will vary according to the requirements of the national grid, the Iraqi News Agency (INA) reported.

The statement elaborated that the step aims to keep pace with the rising demand for electricity until the national gas fields are rehabilitated.

In exchange for gas imports to Iraq to run electrical power plants, the US administration agreed earlier in March to grant Baghdad new exemptions to pay Iran’s financial obligations.

Iran began exporting gas to Iraq in 2017, and according to the contract concluded between the two sides, Iran supplies Iraq with an average of 25 million cubic meters of gas per day.

During the past years, due to the severe gas shortage in the winter, Iran reduced its gas exports to Iraq, and in some weeks it completely stopped the flow of Iranian gas, causing an electricity crisis in Iraq.

About a third of Iraq’s electricity is produced by thermal power plants, which operate on gas imported from Iran.

• Upvote 2

Gosh....I wish they would quit dealing with Iran.  That was the only thing going for Saadam, when he was in power.  He did not like Iran. Since he has been gone, Iran has gotten a their fingers in a lot political pockets, and it seems to be getting worse.  :shrug:

• Upvote 2
  • Pow! 1

What happened to Iraq discontinuing flaring Nat Gas? Years ago they were thumping their chest about a new era in capturing NG, self reliance and so on now this.

Shows me Iraq is still very much owned by Iran & Iraqis are continually taking it in the shorts while wealthy criminals watch their bank accounts swell to an all time high.

RV/RI...??? What's that Aerosmith song ? Dream On.

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, currenzcraze said:

I was wondering how long it was going to take for someone to notice.

Noticed right off but spending soooo many years in the oil & gas fields went straight for topic and completely spaced the "sings".

How could a sarcastic A-hole like me let a golden opportunity whizz right by me like that!!!

I could've linked Blazing Saddles classic Fart (it "sings") Scene or something. Opportunity lost....oh the horror, the horror.

It's 8:35am: better hit the Scotch and sharpen my wits.

All the best to you.

• Haha 4