Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

Congress Adopts Rules Governing Jan. 6 Electoral College Count

Politico

Congress adopts rules governing Jan. 6 Electoral College count

7f27702f482bf2728d1f307207aa7766

Kyle Cheney and Melanie Zanona
Sun, January 3, 2021, 1:46 PM EST

The rules of Congress' Jan. 6 session governing the counting of Electoral College votes will remain identical to those used for decades, under a resolution adopted Sunday by the House and Senate.

The rules, first obtained by POLITICO, were passed on voice votes in both chambers, in keeping with recent history in which they've been uncontroversial afterthoughts in the process of finalizing the results of presidential elections.

As dozens of Republicans in the House and Senate threaten to challenge President-elect Joe Biden's victory — citing baseless claims of widespread fraud and irregularities — the rules have taken on new prominence, but none of those Republicans sought to block the adoption of the rules, even though some had supported an effort to block them in court.

The rules were introduced amid the first indications of GOP pushback to the election challenges inside the House, where dozens of Republicans are embracing President Donald Trump's push to object to the election's certification.

A group of seven House Republicans — including Freedom Caucus members such as Ken Buck (Colo.) and Chip Roy (Texas) as well as Rep.-elect Nancy Mace (S.C.) and libertarian Rep. Thomas Massie (R-Ky.) — put out a rare and lengthy statement Sunday afternoon opposing the effort to challenge the election. The statement was also signed by Reps. Kelly Armstrong (R-N.D.), Mike Gallagher (R-Wis.) and Tom McClintock (R-Calif.).

They argue that the constitution makes clear that states — not Congress — are responsible for selecting electors, though they said they "are outraged at the significant abuses in our election system."

“We must respect the states’ authority here,” the lawmakers wrote in their statement, obtained by POLITICO. “Though doing so may frustrate our immediate political objectives, we have sworn an oath to promote the Constitution above our policy goals. We must count the electoral votes submitted by the states.”

And Roy went further on Sunday evening, forcing a vote on whether to allow Speaker Nancy Pelosi to seat the House members in the states Trump is challenging. The move forced Republicans on the record validating the results of the House elections that occurred on the same ballots that resulted in Biden's win in November. The result was a 371-2 vote in favor of seating all of the members.

A handful of Senate Republicans have come out forcefully against the Trump-driven challenges as well. In addition to Sens. Ben Sasse, Mitt Romney and Pat Toomey, who forcefully rebuked those mounting challenges, Sens. Susan Collins and Roger Wicker indicated Sunday they would oppose challenges as well. The Washington Post also revealed Sunday that Trump, a day earlier, called Georgia's secretary of state Brad Raffensperger and pressured him to "find" enough votes to reverse Biden's win in the state.

Some Trump allies have sought to throw out the procedures altogether. They’ve hoped to empower Vice President Mike Pence, who will preside over the session, to unilaterally reject Biden's electors; it's unclear if those members will attempt to object to or change those rules when they come to the House and Senate floor Sunday evening. Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-Texas) last week sued Pence in an effort to have the procedures thrown out, but he was unceremoniously dismissed by two federal courts.

The procedures require Pence to introduce all papers "purporting" to be electoral votes. He is to read them alphabetically by state and offer lawmakers a chance to issue any objections along the way. These longstanding procedures permit as few as two lawmakers — a single House member and senator acting together — to grind the process to a halt, forcing the House and Senate to break up the joint session and debate the challenges for two hours apiece, before voting on them and returning to the joint session.

In a letter to Democrats, Speaker Nancy Pelosi indicated that the full caucus would hold a call Monday at 9 a.m. to discuss how the Jan. 6 session will unfold, and separate strategy sessions will be convened for Democrats who hail from the states expected ot be challenged by Trump's allies, like Pennsylvania, Georgia and Arizona.

"Over the years, we have experienced many challenges in the House, but no situation matches the Trump presidency and the Trump disrespect for the will of the people," Pelosi said. She indicated that Reps. Zoe Lofgren (D-Calif), Adam Schiff (D-Calif.), Jamie Raksin (D-Md.) and Joe Neguse (D-Colo.) had taken leadership roles in the pushback to the GOP effort.

Pelosi also emphasized that Democrats shouldn't use the challenges in order to "debate the presidency of Donald Trump.

"While there is no doubt as to the outcome of the Biden-Harris presidency, our further success is to convince more of the American people to trust in our democratic system," she said.

There is virtually no doubt that the challenges to Biden’s victory will fail. The Democratically led House will oppose them, and enough Republicans in the closely divided Senate have indicated they will reject any challenges as well. But the magnitude of the push — with dozens of House Republicans and at least a quarter of the Senate GOP — will be unprecedented, aided by the full-throated backing of the sitting president, who has encouraged supporters to convene in Washington en masse on Jan. 6 to protest the session.

Some Trump allies are encouraging Pence to try to take control of the session regardless of the rules and simply refuse to introduce Biden's electors in states that Trump has challenged. But Pence declined to embrace that strategy in court, and Congress would similarly refuse to entertain such an effort.

The processes in the proposed rules are enshrined in a federal law passed in 1887 called the Electoral Count Act, a statute passed to address the disastrous election of 1876. The procedures have been embraced by every Congress since then to govern the Jan. 6 Electoral College certification meeting. However, constitutional scholars have debated whether the House and Senate can be bound by the 130-year-old law and whether they may supplement it to clearly define some of its vague aspects, such as Pence's authorities as the presiding officer and the law's requirements that all "purported" electoral votes be introduced.

One of the questions about Pence's role is whether he intends to introduce slates of Republicans who claimed to cast electoral votes for Trump in key states that Biden won. Trump's would-be electors met on Dec. 14, the day the formal Electoral College members met in their respective state capitals and held mock sessions to cast votes for Trump. If he does, Congress would be required, by law, to count only those certified by the state governments — but it would continue to amplify Trump's efforts to delegitimize the process.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/congressional-leaders-unveil-rules-governing-184634817.html

GO RV, then BV

• Like 1
  • Pow! 1
4 hours ago, Shabibilicious said:

citing baseless claims of widespread fraud and irregularities

Just because some YAHOO say's that doesn't make it true. 

80 million Trump supporters aren't just going to shut up and go away. 

But you might see a lot of internet business burning down to the ground. 

• Upvote 1
  • Pow! 2
2 minutes ago, ladyGrace'sDaddy said:

74 million.  ;)  And nobody expects them to go away....simply hunker down and find a better candidate to run in '24...same as every presidential election.

GO RV, then BV

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1
3 minutes ago, Shabibilicious said:

74 million.  ;)  And nobody expects them to go away....simply hunker down and find a better candidate to run in '24...same as every presidential election.

GO RV, then BV

When that FREAKSHOW HARRIS becomes president, I will GUARENTEE you there will never be another legitimate election. 

• Upvote 1
  • Pow! 1
2 minutes ago, ladyGrace'sDaddy said:

When that FREAKSHOW HARRIS becomes president, I will GUARENTEE you there will never be another legitimate election. 

That's the point isn't it.....legitimate elections, just like the one we recently experienced in November of pandemic ridden 2020.  Let me ask you, did you have trouble voting in the election?  Was it better or worse for you than elections in the past?  As for me, my vote by mail experience was a positive one.

GO RV, then BV

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3
6 minutes ago, Shabibilicious said:

That's the point isn't it.....legitimate elections, just like the one we recently experienced in November of pandemic ridden 2020.  Let me ask you, did you have trouble voting in the election?  Was it better or worse for you than elections in the past?  As for me, my vote by mail experience was a positive one.

GO RV, then BV

My guess is that it's a Marine thing. I'm not going to live my life in fear of ANYTHING.

My voting was in person and without a mask. 

• Upvote 2
  • Pow! 2
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, ladyGrace'sDaddy said:

My guess is that it's a Marine thing. I'm not going to live my life in fear of ANYTHING.

I did it for my elderly parents sake and those who may be more vulnerable to covid.....the only fear was of me inadvertently killing my folks for me being irresponsible.  

GO RV, then BV

Edited by Shabibilicious
  • Like 1
35 minutes ago, ladyGrace'sDaddy said:

More like a FREAKHO HARRIS in the White House.  Just ask Willie Brown !

I give pedophile joe four to six months before he goes T!TS up then the ho takes over.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Pow! 1

Shabs good on you for being able to see you parents and speak with them.

My MiL is a nursing facility on lock down. My wife has not seen nor touched her in 3 months. Mom is getting worse. Depressed and lonely. Wife said she would rather see her die of CV-19 than loneliness. 

She feels like a terrible daughter and it is hurting her also.  The politicization of this virus is wrong and hurting far more than the virus itself. 

• Thanks 1
  • Pow! 2
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, nstoolman1 said:

Shabs good on you for being able to see you parents and speak with them.

My MiL is a nursing facility on lock down. My wife has not seen nor touched her in 3 months. Mom is getting worse. Depressed and lonely. Wife said she would rather see her die of CV-19 than loneliness. 

She feels like a terrible daughter and it is hurting her also.  The politicization of this virus is wrong and hurting far more than the virus itself. 

Sorry to hear that about your MIL....I suppose it's tragically like that all over the country.  Hopefully the vaccines will be distributed more quickly to help alleviate much of that loneliness being experienced by the sheltered masses.  And though I do see my parents, it's not nearly enough...sporadic, short visits only.  Luckily our phones are capable of having video chats, though nothing will ever replace the comfort of a hug.  Again, sorry for all you, your wife and MIL are experiencing due to this terrible virus.

GO RV, then BV

Edited by Shabibilicious
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1
3 hours ago, ladyGrace'sDaddy said:

LGD you're wrong again....

Total Votes 156,034,353
Total Illegal votes 19,365,123
Legal votes 136,669,230
72.222...% pro-Trump
27.777...% pro-Biden.
So the final correct numbers are:  Trump's got 98,705,251 mil votes; to Biden's 37,962,612 mil votes

Just guess who's got 19,365,123 votes....

• Haha 1
  • Pow! 2
1 hour ago, huffy2005 said:

Total Votes 156,034,353
Legal votes 136,669,230
72.222...% pro-Trump
27.777...% pro-Biden.
So the final correct numbers are:  Trump's got 98,705,251 mil votes; to Biden's 37,962,612 mil votes

I approve this message thanks and AMEN!!

• Pow! 1
8 hours ago, Shabibilicious said:

I did it for my elderly parents sake and those who may be more vulnerable to covid.....the only fear was of me inadvertently killing my folks for me being irresponsible.  

GO RV, then BV

You did it in obedience to the LIARS who want to destroy all of us. OUT OF FEAR THEY MIGHT BE RIGHT. 

5 hours ago, huffy2005 said:

Total Votes 156,034,353
Legal votes 136,669,230
72.222...% pro-Trump
27.777...% pro-Biden.

Yes, my Brother, I stand corrected. 

• Thanks 1
  • Pow! 1

AR3: Resolution Text

LRB-1154/1

JK:...

2021 - 2022 LEGISLATURE

January 4, 2021 - Introduced by Representative Allen.

***AUTHORS SUBJECT TO CHANGE***

1Relating to: addressing election law violations.
2 Whereas, in the United States, the power to govern is given by the people 
3through the process of democratic elections. It is by this process that our government 
4obtains legitimacy; and
5 Whereas, we have three branches of government, and the legislative branch, 
6consisting of duly elected representatives of the people, is the branch charged with 
7the power to write the laws. It is through this process that our government maintains 
8legitimacy; and
9 Whereas, when the executive branch or administrative agencies charged with 
10enforcing the laws instead choose to step outside of the law, or go beyond the law, or 
11stretch the law to something other than what is written, the legitimacy of the 
12government begins to erode; and
13 Whereas, the 2020 election and the recount of the results of the presidential 
14election have brought to light a number of areas in which the letter of the law is not 
1being followed. Those circumstances of departure from the letter of the law include, 
2but are not limited to, the following:
3 1. Clerks provided absentee ballots to electors without applications, as 
4required by Wis. Stat. § 6.86.
5 2. Clerks and deputy clerks authorized by the municipal clerk failed to write 
6on the official ballot, in the space for official endorsement, the clerk's initials and 
7official title, as required by Wis. Stat. § 6.87 (1).
8 3. Clerks issued absentee ballots to electors who were required to enclose a copy 
9of proof of identification or an authorized substitute document, but who failed to do 
10so under Wis. Stat. § 6.87 (1).
11 4. Clerks failed to enter initials on ballot envelopes indicating whether the 
12elector is exempt from providing proof of identification, as required by Wis. Stat. § 
136.87 (2).
14 5. Clerks in Milwaukee and Dane Counties declared electors in their counties 
15to be “indefinitely confined” under Wis. Stat. § 6.86 (2), causing chaos and confusion, 
16and failed to keep current the mailing list established under that subsection; more 
17than 215,000 electors thus avoided identification requirements and safeguards that 
18the legislature has established.
19 6. Clerks and the boards of canvassers permitted absentee ballots returned 
20without the required witness address under Wis. Stat. § 6.87 (2) to be counted in 
21contravention of Wis. Stat. § 6.87 (6d).
22 7. Clerks who received absentee ballots with improperly completed certificates 
23or no certificates filled in missing information in contravention of Wis. Stat. § 6.87 
24(9).

18. The Wisconsin Elections Commission, in contravention of Wis. Stat. § 6.875, 
2barred special voting deputies from entering qualified nursing homes and assisted 
3living facilities, instead mailing ballots to residents directly, thereby avoiding 
4safeguards the legislature put in place to protect our most vulnerable citizens and 
5loved ones.
6 9. The clerk of the City of Madison ignored Wis. Stat. § 6.855 and created an 
7event named “Democracy in the Park” and, of her own accord, designated alternate 
8sites where absentee ballots could be collected; these ballots were counted in 
9contravention of Wis. Stat. § 6.87 (6); and
10 Whereas, without legitimacy, the government of the people, by the people, and 
11for the people shall not stand. Instead, our government will devolve into a system 
12of coercion and bribery that seeks to use the guise of elections to hold a degree of 
13credibility; and
14 Whereas, the people of Wisconsin are demanding that the legislature address 
15questions of legitimacy; now, therefore, be it
16Resolved by the assembly, That: the Wisconsin State Assembly recognizes 
17that the most important function for a government is to conduct fair and honest 
18elections that follow the duly enacted law; and, be it further
19Resolved, That when there are significant portions of the population that 
20question the integrity of the elections due to the failure of election officials to follow 
21the letter of the law, it is incumbent upon the legislature to address the issues that 
22are in question; and, be it further
23Resolved, That the members of the Wisconsin State Assembly place the 
24redress to these and other election law violations and failed administrative 
1procedures as its highest priority and shall take up legislation crafted to ensure civil 
2officers follow the laws as written.
  • Thanks 1
  • Pow! 1
10 hours ago, ladyGrace'sDaddy said:

You did it in obedience to the LIARS who want to destroy all of us. OUT OF FEAR THEY MIGHT BE RIGHT. 

I did it as any good son would do....honor my mother and father.  Thank you for the insult though, brother.

GO RV, then BV

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Shabibilicious said:

I did it as any good son would do....honor my mother and father.  Thank you for the insult though, brother.

GO RV, then BV

It was not meant as an insult but as a psychological observation. The thing that truly blows my mind, however, is the consistency with which people lie to themselves in order to protect their sense of reality. 

• Upvote 2
  • Pow! 1
Just now, ladyGrace'sDaddy said:

Me, too!

Thank You for standing TALL like a True The United States Of America Patriot unlike the "curled" "over" "noted" "poster"!!!

I'll get YOUR Six LadyGrace'sDaddy!!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1
10 minutes ago, ladyGrace'sDaddy said:

It was not meant as an insult but as a psychological observation. The thing that truly blows my mind, however, is the consistency with which people lie to themselves in order to protect their sense of reality. 

Ain't that the truth.

GO RV, then BV

• Like 1

WOWZERS!!!

THEE "noted" "poster" ACCTUALLY GAVE ME YET ANOTHER Red Ruby Citation As A Badge Of Honor For ME For "Display Of Intellectual Speed And Power"!!!

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU "noted" "poster"!!!

:bravo:   :bravo:   :bravo:

I AM Standing WITH AND FOR ANOTHER True The United States Of America Patriot - LadyGrace'sDaddy!!!

YYYEEEAAAHHH BBBAAABBBYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
54 minutes ago, Synopsis said:

Me, too!

Thank You for standing TALL like a True The United States Of America Patriot unlike the "curled" "over" "noted" "poster"!!!

I'll get YOUR Six LadyGrace'sDaddy!!!

I don't wear a mask because I suffer from acute asthma. And yes it's now become something of a statement to me. 

However, I have always been a 'Social Distancer'. I personally don't like people getting within knifing distance and that works for me. :lol:

Since the beginning of this entire debacle I've refused to enter any business except a truck stop. More for the protection of the Lunatic that would be stupid enough to get in my face for not wearing a mask. :cowboy1:

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, ladyGrace'sDaddy said:

I don't wear a mask because I suffer from acute asthma. And yes it's now become something of a statement to me. 

However, I have always been a 'Social Distancer'. I personally don't like people getting within knifing distance and that works for me. :lol:

Since the beginning of this entire debacle I've refused to enter any business except a truck stop. More for the protection of the Lunatic that would be stupid enough to get in my face for not wearing a mask. :cowboy1:

Smart....if only everybody else was as cautious and courteous.  :peace:

GO RV, then BV

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ladyGrace'sDaddy said:

My wife suffers from asthma also. She wears a mask 12 hours a day at work with no problems. But like anything it varies from person to person. Some people get covid and don’t even show symptoms. Others get it an die in a week.

• Like 1
  • Pow! 1