Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Arkansas Pastor Who Ran For Congress As A Republican Encourages Fellow Evangelicals Not To Vote For Donald Trump

I'm a Pastor Who Ran for Congress as a Republican. Here's Why I'm Encouraging My Fellow Evangelicals Not to Vote for Donald Trump

Robb Ryerse
January 31, 2020, 2:12 PM EST

ABC News Videos
169f58bf128b5082c62989eb2740b0ed
Scroll back up to restore default view.

President Donald Trump made history last Friday as the first U.S. president to attend March for Life, the annual anti-abortion rally held in Washington, D.C. For that he received widespread praise from conservative political and religious leaders and voters around the country, including many, unsurprisingly, from my home state of Arkansas.

Trump’s decision to attend was motivated by politics. He wasn’t against abortion until he started running for President, and yet he has heard mounting questions raised about the sturdiness of his support among evangelicals, whose backing in 2016 was key to his victory. The kerfuffle around Christianity Today’s December editorial calling for Trump’s removal sparked a reexamination of the durability of that support. Enter March for Life, an opportunity to double down on what Trump knows is the linchpin of his appeal to many religious voters.

The transactional nature of Trump’s relationship with evangelicals and other religiously motivated voters is a two-way street. He doesn’t live by nor ostensibly even aspire to the values of most of these voters. They see his flaws but support him anyway because he helps advance elements of their policy agenda, namely, anti-abortion judges and legislation.

Although Arkansas’ Republican Governor Asa Hutchinson was the first governor of a solid red state to voice support for the congressional impeachment inquiry last September, Arkansans overwhelmingly support Trump, with over 60% of us voting for him in 2016. Much of that support came from Arkansas’ large evangelical community, which makes up no less than 46% of adults in the state. Naturally, the state’s two Republican senators – Tom Cotton and John Boozman – have voted in line with Trump’s position 87% and 93% of the time respectively.

I was raised in a home where being an evangelical Christian and voting Republican were inseparable. I live in Northwest Arkansas, practice my faith as the co-pastor of Vintage Fellowship in Fayetteville and even ran for Congress in the 3rd Congressional District as a Republican in 2018.

Given all this, you are forgiven if you’re somewhat surprised to hear that I helped organize a rally for voters in Fayetteville against Trump and in support of Democrats this week.

When I’m not preaching, I work with a group called Vote Common Good, which aims to get evangelicals and other voters of faith to make the common good – not political parties – their primary voting criteria. And this year, voting for the common good means getting Trump and his enablers out of office.

Trump is an anathema to everything I was taught to love about Jesus, everything I was taught about how to live out my faith. His disdain for decency, disrespect toward basic tenets of right and wrong and complete disregard for the most vulnerable among us could not be more fundamentally un-Christian. To vote for him because he sees the political expediency of supporting restrictions on abortion is a Faustian deal with the devil that is ultimately more likely to exact greater cost than reward. Case in point: the astounding about-face in evangelical support for refugee resettlement since Trump took aim at the program.

The unholy alliance some religious voters have struck with Trump is part and parcel of the one the Republican Party as a whole has embraced. The GOP has become the party of Trump, most recently exemplified by the number of Republican senators who have expressed a willingness to abandon their responsibility as part of a co-equal branch of government and vote against allowing witnesses to appear in the president’s impeachment trial. Tribalistic, blind loyalty to Trump because of the power he is able to confer as President has led both evangelicals and the GOP to abandon previously held values.

Now more than ever, at a time of unprecedented polarization, it’s important that voters think beyond political party. Republicans don’t have to become Democrats — they should just consider voting for one this year. Voters of faith should set aside their personal interests and predilections and instead prioritize the common good for all.

Traveling across the United States on VCG’s 50-state bus tour, which launched in Iowa at the start of January and has hit six other states since, I’ve met voters of faith who are looking for an alternative to Trump. They voted for him in 2016 but can’t bring themselves to do it again. We are working to mobilize them and train Democratic candidates to engage religious voters more effectively.

If a critical percentage – say 5% – of evangelicals who voted for Trump in 2016 don’t this year, he can’t win. That’s why I’ve decided to dedicate much of my time and efforts in 2020 to reaching those voters. Because a deal with Democrats is better than a deal with the devil.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/im-pastor-ran-congress-republican-191227587.html

Words to live by....though I fear some have already made their deal with the devil.

GO RV, then BV

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 3

Sad to see a pastor from my home state who doesn't understand that a person can have a change of heart.  My fear is there are many "pastors" out there who don't truly understand the Bible and the work of the Cross.  I am familiar with that church and am not surprised by this article.

• Thanks 3
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Shedagal said:

Sad to see a pastor from my home state who doesn't understand that a person can have a change of heart.  My fear is there are many "pastors" out there who don't truly understand the Bible and the work of the Cross.  I am familiar with that church and am not surprised by this article.

Shedagal, I couldn't have said it better.  As believers we don't know another's heart but I believe we are to take them at face value until proven differently..Also just that Trump is establishing conservative judges will be future prevention to abortion and every other law that is decent to man.  If we turn to the Dems, abortion will become full blown.  We must stand for Gods laws and standards.  Life is precious in Gods eyes as we are made in His image.  To vote for a dem and turn from Trump on this issue alone would be as good as murder.  How ever God is using Trump is Gods very will and His good pleasure for His own glory.  I'll stay where I am politically whatever Trumps motives even if it's just for votes because of his stand on abortion.

btw Shedegal, I'm  sure you have read in the Bible about king Nebuchadnezzar.  God changed his heart and God has not changed His ways.  If Trumps heart hasn't been changed, we know that God could change that at this very moment.  You are right.....its all about that Cross

• Thanks 6

18 hours ago, learning all i can said:

Shedagal, I couldn't have said it better.  As believers we don't know another's heart but I believe we are to take them at face value until proven differently..Also just that Trump is establishing conservative judges will be future prevention to abortion and every other law that is decent to man.  If we turn to the Dems, abortion will become full blown.  We must stand for Gods laws and standards.  Life is precious in Gods eyes as we are made in His image.  To vote for a dem and turn from Trump on this issue alone would be as good as murder.  How ever God is using Trump is Gods very will and His good pleasure for His own glory.  I'll stay where I am politically whatever Trumps motives even if it's just for votes because of his stand on abortion.

btw Shedegal, I'm  sure you have read in the Bible about king Nebuchadnezzar.  God changed his heart and God has not changed His ways.  If Trumps heart hasn't been changed, we know that God could change that at this very moment.  You are right.....its all about that Cross

Thanks, totally agree with you.

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
Politics

I Questioned the Sincerity of Donald Trump's Pro-Life Stance. The Response From My Fellow Evangelicals Was Troubling

Robb Ryerse
TimeFebruary 12, 2020, 5:25 PM EST

I Questioned the Sincerity of Donald Trump's Pro-Life Stance. The Response From My Fellow Evangelicals Was Troubling

When I published an op-ed declaring that, as a Republican and an evangelical pastor, I cannot vote for Donald Trump in 2020, I knew it would not be well-received by his supporters. What I did not expect was the fierceness of the response.

In less than two weeks, I have gotten hundreds of messages from evangelical Christians from across the country. Much of the opposition has come from pro-life voters who support the President because of their perception of him as a champion for the pro-life cause. My op-ed critiqued the President’s participation in the March for Life and the sincerity of his anti-abortion stance. I personally believe that the President is cynically using pro-life voters for his own electoral purposes and doesn’t actually care about protecting innocent life at all.

The Trump supporters who have contacted me think I don’t care either and have denounced me as baby killer. I simply suggested that the Democratic nominee for President is a better alternative than Donald Trump, even if he claims to be pro-life.

The irony of this is that I am pro-life. When I was in high school, I attended the March for Life in Washington, D.C. My pro-life convictions were a primary motivation for me becoming an adoptive parent.

My desire is for there to be as few abortions as possible in our country. However, I’ve come to believe that the best means of reducing abortion rates is not through restrictions and criminalization. I’m also not convinced that reversing Roe v. Wade would reduce abortion rates. Abortion rates are now lower than they were before the Supreme Court’s decision to make abortion legal nationally.

The best means of reducing abortion is expanding health coverage so that every woman can consult with her doctor about her medical needs. We also need effective, comprehensive sexual education and greater access to other methods of birth control.

More troubling than my critics’ misunderstanding of my position on the abortion issue is the vitriol they have directed at me personally. Their voicemails, emails and direct messages have been full of name-calling and insults like I have never before experienced.

Like millions of other Americans, I grew up in the evangelical Christian subculture. We were taught that if we took a stand for what we believe, we would face opposition. Our pastors and leaders told us that nonbelievers in the world would mistreat us, insult us and even persecute us. Never would I have thought that what they warned us about wouldn’t actually be coming from the outside but from within.

Here is just a sampling of the messages I’ve received:

Daniel wrote, “Get struck down by God, you pile of sh*t.”

A man from Fort Lauderdale, Fla., did not leave his name but left a voicemail in which, after extolling the virtues of President Trump, he told me, “Enjoy hell, b*tch.”

Sarah Jane repeatedly called me a “dumb f***.” She said I am a “demon rat,” a “worker of iniquity” and an “instrument of Satan” who wants to “destroy America.”

Many of those who lambasted me emailed my church calling for me to be fired. The phrase “wolf in sheep’s clothing” has been used dozens of times. My church’s rating on Facebook fell from five stars to three and half because of all the negative reviews written by Trump supporters who have never visited one of our worship gatherings.

I ran for Congress as a Republican in Arkansas in 2018. I stand up in front of crowds at events for the progressive evangelical group

Vote Common Good and urge religion-motivated voters not to support Donald Trump. I sent an op-ed to a national publication. I’ve invited criticism and disagreement. I am not a victim.

That people disagree with me is not my concern. My concern is for an evangelical church in America that has normalized hatred in defense of President Trump.

I don’t understand how Christians can justify the name-calling, the insults and plain meanness. I don’t understand how they can so freely bear false witness against others. I don’t understand why they think following President Trump and loyalty to the Republican Party is of greater value than following Jesus and loyalty to his ethic of love.

The question I am left with is a paraphrase of Jesus, “What good is it if we gain the whole Supreme Court but lose our souls?”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/questioned-sincerity-donald-trumps-pro-222543657.html

GO RV, then BV

• Thanks 2
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, Shabibilicious said:
Politics

Robb Ryerse
TimeFebruary 12, 2020, 5:25 PM EST

When I published an op-ed declaring that, as a Republican and an evangelical pastor, I cannot vote for Donald Trump in 2020, I knew it would not be well-received by his supporters. What I did not expect was the fierceness of the response.

In less than two weeks, I have gotten hundreds of messages from evangelical Christians from across the country. Much of the opposition has come from pro-life voters who support system">support the President because of their perception of him as a champion for the pro-life cause. My op-ed critiqued the President’s participation in the March for Life and the sincerity of his anti-abortion stance. I personally believe that the President is cynically using pro-life voters for his own electoral purposes and doesn’t actually care about protecting innocent life at all.

The Trump supporters who have contacted me think I don’t care either and have denounced me as baby killer. I simply suggested that the Democratic nominee for President is a better alternative than Donald Trump, even if he claims to be pro-life.

The irony of this is that I am pro-life. When I was in high school, I attended the March for Life in Washington, D.C. My pro-life convictions were a primary motivation for me becoming an adoptive parent.

My desire is for there to be as few abortions as possible in our country. However, I’ve come to believe that the best means of reducing abortion rates is not through restrictions and criminalization. I’m also not convinced that reversing Roe v. Wade would reduce abortion rates. Abortion rates are now lower than they were before the Supreme Court’s decision to make abortion legal nationally.

The best means of reducing abortion is expanding health coverage so that every woman can consult with her doctor about her medical needs. We also need effective, comprehensive sexual education and greater access to other methods of birth control.

More troubling than my critics’ misunderstanding of my position on the abortion issue is the vitriol they have directed at me personally. Their voicemails, emails and direct messages have been full of name-calling and insults like I have never before experienced.

Like millions of other Americans, I grew up in the evangelical Christian subculture. We were taught that if we took a stand for what we believe, we would face opposition. Our pastors and leaders told us that nonbelievers in the world would mistreat us, insult us and even persecute us. Never would I have thought that what they warned us about wouldn’t actually be coming from the outside but from within.

Here is just a sampling of the messages I’ve received:

Daniel wrote, “Get struck down by God, you pile of sh*t.”

A man from Fort Lauderdale, Fla., did not leave his name but left a voicemail in which, after extolling the virtues of President Trump, he told me, “Enjoy hell, b*tch.”

Sarah Jane repeatedly called me a “dumb f***.” She said I am a “demon rat,” a “worker of iniquity” and an “instrument of Satan” who wants to “destroy America.”

Many of those who lambasted me emailed my church calling for me to be fired. The phrase “wolf in sheep’s clothing” has been used dozens of times. My church’s rating on Facebook fell from five stars to three and half because of all the negative reviews written by Trump supporters who have never visited one of our worship gatherings.

I ran for Congress as a Republican in Arkansas in 2018. I stand up in front of crowds at events for the progressive evangelical group

Vote Common Good and urge religion-motivated voters not to support system">support Donald Trump. I sent an op-ed to a national publication. I’ve invited criticism and disagreement. I am not a victim.

That people disagree with me is not my concern. My concern is for an evangelical church in America that has normalized hatred in defense of President Trump.

I don’t understand how Christians can justify the name-calling, the insults and plain meanness. I don’t understand how they can so freely bear false witness against others. I don’t understand why they think following President Trump and loyalty to the Republican Party is of greater value than following Jesus and loyalty to his ethic of love.

The question I am left with is a paraphrase of Jesus, “What good is it if we gain the whole Supreme Court but lose our souls?”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/questioned-sincerity-donald-trumps-pro-222543657.html

GO RV, then BV

I will try to make this short.  This so called pastor cannot reckon or understand how Christian's can justify the name calling therefore "the insults towards Him are just plain mean".  But he understands abortion and education for women so the numbers will go down.  I know for sure that the Bible tells me that God raises up the leaders of the Nations.  Whether they are good leaders or bad, God uses them to bring about His very plans.  Now, since God raised Trump up for His very purpose we are to stand with him unless Trump goes against Gods standards.  Abortion is an abomination against God.  Perhaps Trump isn't a man of God, I don't know.  But I do know that Trump can not and will not be able to do anything that is NOT given him permission by God.  Even the devil has to have Gods permission.  Even if Trump is working only for his next term His stand on abortion has brought much insight to a lot of people that use to think that abortion was ok and even question their own mental decay.  Why we look at today's world and the man made laws as our hope is so very wrong.  This world is not our home.  Our inner being, our soul, our thoughts and beliefs will determine where our eternal home will be.  And our home for eternity WILL NOT be determined by man made laws but by the standards of Gods holiness and on whom we believe.   This man is more concerned with his political views and his own hate for Trump than he is with yours and my souls.  If he were really so concerned, he would be preaching the gospel of Jesus Christ instead of who you and I are going to vote for.  I'm telling you abortion is an abomination to God whether few or many......it is wrong, it is a great sin. The Bible tells us murderers WILL NOT see the Kingdom of God.  If Trump changes one mind about abortion then perhaps this was Gods purpose for putting him in office. I do not know Gods mind, only what He has revealed to me thru His word the Bible.  Gods will be done.  There will be a great falling away before the end times come and the church is raptured,  abortion and the multitudes that support such is a perfect indication that time is near.

Edited by learning all i can
  • Thanks 4
  • Upvote 2

This whole country is turned upside down, bad has become good and good, bad.....Trump is the epitome of everything we were taught was bad with respect to "love thy neighbor".  And a man like Mitt Romney, a person of deep faith, and a pro-life believer draws upon his faith during the impeachment trial and is eviscerated for it.  Is he not also a leader, placed there by God, as well as all the other political leaders, Left and Right?....Boggles the mind what people have settled for as the pinnacle American values.  

GO RV, then BV 

• Thanks 2
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, bostonangler said:

I can see Trump rewriting the bible to fit his image, because he knows more than..... Well you could guess the rest. 

King James did, and if we give him time, we could have the King Trump version.

B/A

Ba....I rarely respond to the things you say because most of the time it just doesn't matter.  In fact many things you say are quite comical but your comment above just shows your complete ignorance.  This is not a response to defend Trump but for you to use Gods word the Bible to name one of your so called funnies is just wrong.  You have just belittled the Holiness of God, His Sovereignty and His power to bring forth His divine plans.  As far as I'm concerned you can call me, trump or anyone else here anything you like but to joke about Gods very word is a different story.  You need to back up.

Edited by learning all i can
  • Thanks 4
  • Upvote 3

Survey Finds People Who Identify as Left-Wing More Likely to Have Been Diagnosed With a Mental Illness

The data speaks for itself.

92bdc8bce676fd1d053262a01af1a3b8?s=46&d=

Published

7 hours ago 

on

12 February, 2020
120219graph.jpg

A new survey of more than 8,000 people has found that those who identify with left-wing political beliefs are more likely to have been diagnosed with a mental illness.

Ann Coulter’s “liberalism is a mental disorder” catchphrase has become something of a clichéd meme, but the data appears to support it.

Carried out by Slate Star Codex, the online survey collected a wealth of data from respondents about their education, demographic, lifestyle and political views.

The results show that people who occupy the farther left end of the political spectrum are more likely to have been “formally diagnosed with depression, borderline personality disorder, bipolar disorder, or schizophrenia.”

null

In addition, the results show that the highest percentage of respondents (38%) who admit being diagnosed with forms of mental illness also identify politically as Marxists.

In comparison, just 12.1% of conservatives say they have been diagnosed with a mental disorder.

null

While the survey is by no means scientific, it does give an insight into how disturbed people are more likely to be attracted to fringe leftist beliefs, which in a lifestyle sense usually encourage degeneracy and a lack of moral responsibility.

“It’s not a myth that left-wingers are more mentally ill,” said conservative commentator Milo Yiannopoulos. “And it’s not a surprise the internet has elevated crazy people with too much time on their hands to a central place in the national discourse. The “social web” is a social ******* catastrophe.”

SUBSCRIBE on YouTube:

https://summit.news/2020/02/12/survey-finds-people-who-identify-as-left-wing-more-likely-to-have-been-diagnosed-with-a-mental-illness/

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, 64jaguar said:

Survey Finds People Who Identify as Left-Wing More Likely to Have Been Diagnosed With a Mental Illness

The data speaks for itself.

92bdc8bce676fd1d053262a01af1a3b8?s=46&d=

Published

7 hours ago 

on

12 February, 2020
120219graph.jpg

A new survey of more than 8,000 people has found that those who identify with left-wing political beliefs are more likely to have been diagnosed with a mental illness.

Ann Coulter’s “liberalism is a mental disorder” catchphrase has become something of a clichéd meme, but the data appears to support system" rel="">support it.

Carried out by Slate Star Codex, the online survey collected a wealth of data from respondents about their education, demographic, lifestyle and political views.

The results show that people who occupy the farther left end of the political spectrum are more likely to have been “formally diagnosed with depression, borderline personality disorder, bipolar disorder, or schizophrenia.”

null

In addition, the results show that the highest percentage of respondents (38%) who admit being diagnosed with forms of mental illness also identify politically as Marxists.

In comparison, just 12.1% of conservatives say they have been diagnosed with a mental disorder.

null

While the survey is by no means scientific, it does give an insight into how disturbed people are more likely to be attracted to fringe leftist beliefs, which in a lifestyle sense usually encourage degeneracy and a lack of moral responsibility.

“It’s not a myth that left-wingers are more mentally ill,” said conservative commentator Milo Yiannopoulos. “And it’s not a surprise the internet has elevated crazy people with too much time on their hands to a central place in the national discourse. The “social web” is a social ******* catastrophe.”

SUBSCRIBE on YouTube:

https://summit.news/2020/02/12/survey-finds-people-who-identify-as-left-wing-more-likely-to-have-been-diagnosed-with-a-mental-illness/

Ann Coulter....nuff said.  B)

GO RV, then BV

• Haha 2
  • Downvote 1

I actually think the "Liberalism is a mental disorder" was coined by radio talk show host Michael Savage, not sure where the reference to A.C. came from. I'm not a big fan of A.C. either...Michael Savage actually wrote a book with that as a title if I'm not mistaken..

• Thanks 3

21 minutes ago, coorslite21 said:

Just another thread that attempts to place the leadership of this country in a bad light....

It's all Shabs and BA can think about......how can we smear Trump.....CL

Only 2 People thinking differently than most here when it comes to an aspect of Politics....Should be NO issue.....Unless they happen to be right, of course.....

• Downvote 3

32 minutes ago, coorslite21 said:

Just another thread that attempts to place the leadership of this country in a bad light....

IF there is due cause then, of course, yes.

SINCE, however, NO due cause exists then one would think ALL would support the Promises Made - Promises Kept AND vote accordingly November 3rd.

For the ACTUAL REAL well being of We The People.

The Promises Made - Promises Kept have been primarily for the benefit of We The People and NOT the person who made and is accomplishing Promises Made - Promises Kept for We The People.

Now, WHO, pray tell, could say NO to THAT???!!!

Yep, Shabs AND BA.

:facepalm3:   :facepalm3:   :facepalm3:

:shakehead:     :shakehead:     :shakehead:

I often wonder if Shabs AND BA went to counter intelligence training or IF THAT is THEIR "natural" "state" OF "affairs".

:o   :o   :o

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, learning all i can said:

Ba....I rarely respond to the things you say because most of the time it just doesn't matter.  In fact many things you say are quite comical but your comment above just shows your complete ignorance.  This is not a response to defend Trump but for you to use Gods word the Bible to name one of your so called funnies is just wrong.  You have just belittled the Holiness of God, His Sovereignty and His power to bring forth His divine plans.  As far as I'm concerned you can call me, trump or anyone else here anything you like but to joke about Gods very word is a different story.  You need to back up.

LAIC, I apologize for my lack of sensitivity in my joke. You are correct, it was in bad taste... 

B/A

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, coorslite21 said:

I'm neither a pastor, nor am I from Arkansas.....And what's with your post, CL....another Trump rescue attempt.  Seems your starting to get down in the weeds a little with the personal attacks.  ;) 

GO RV, then BV

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

15 hours ago, 64jaguar said:

I actually think the "Liberalism is a mental disorder" was coined by radio talk show host Michael Savage, not sure where the reference to A.C. came from. I'm not a big fan of A.C. either...Michael Savage actually wrote a book with that as a title if I'm not mistaken..

The graphs and attached story you posted actually reference Ann Coulter.....And the SSC blog website (creators of the online survey) says if you're looking for a psychiatrist to seek professional help elsewhere and not to trust one of their bloggers who may claim to be one.  B) 

GO RV, then BV

Edited by Shabibilicious
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Shabibilicious said:

I'm neither a pastor, nor am I from Arkansas.....And what's with your post, CL....another Trump rescue attempt.  Seems your starting to get down in the weeds a little with the personal attacks.  ;) 

GO RV, then BV

Just calling it as I see it.....my bet is most others feel the same......looking forward to again seeing some positive posts from you on just about anything....my opinion is you've become to obsessed with Trump and your dislike for "anything Trump"......JMO

CL

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, coorslite21 said:

Just calling it as I see it.....my bet is most others feel the same......looking forward to again seeing some positive posts from you on just about anything....my opinion is you've become to obsessed with Trump and your dislike for "anything Trump"......JMO

CL

As am I....when my opinion is you've lost your objectivity with respect to Trump's despicable antics.  :peace:  Did I see you had posted a Tucker Carlson Fox News video in another thread...or am I mistaken?

GO RV, then BV

Edited by Shabibilicious
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1