Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

BELICHICK FIRES BALL BOY FOR FAILING TO DEFLATE 1 OF 12 BALLS

Markinsa

BELICHICK FIRES BALL BOY FOR FAILING TO DEFLATE 1 OF 12 BALLS

2015-01-20-Belichick.jpg
  •  

ESPN reported Tuesday night that 11 of the Patriots’ 12 balls were deflated for Sunday’s AFC Championship against the Colts, which has Bill Belichick in a tizzy. The surly New England coach promptly fired the team’s ball boy Jimmy O’Bannon, presumably for failing to deflate one of those balls.

“I can’t believe our ball boy screwed up and didn’t deflate one of them,” said the Patriots’ coach. “We had no choice but to fire him.”

Belichick stopped short of admitting to cheating his way to a 45-7 win over the Colts, but said the fired ball boy failed to do things “the Patriots’ way.”

“With the Pats, we don’t go halfway, or in this case 92 percent of the way,” said Belichick. “We wish our ball boy the best.”

Added Belichick: “I understand he’s only got two years of high school left, I assume he’ll be fine in the end.”

• Upvote 4

The home team provides the balls for both teams! LOL

You are correct:

subhead_rulebook.gif

Digest of Rules Main

Ball

1. The home club shall have 36 balls for outdoor games and 24 for indoor games available for testing with a pressure gauge by the referee two hours prior to the starting time of the game to meet with League requirements. Twelve (12) new footballs, sealed in a special box and shipped by the manufacturer, will be opened in the officials’ locker room two hours prior to the starting time of the game. These balls are to be specially marked with the letter "k" and used exclusively for the kicking game.

But I also found this:

Wouldn't the deflated balls help the Colts too?

No, because each team has their own balls for use when its offense is on the field.

Per NFL rules, each team has 12 balls they use on offense. The home team is also required to provide 12 more balls for backup, and visitors can bring 12 backup balls of their own if they so choose. In addition to those balls, Wilson, the company that manufactures NFL footballs, ships eight new balls directly to the officials for a game. Those are the kicking balls used by both teams, and they're kept under the control of the referees.

Maybe patriots quarter back has small hands and gets a better grip and can rifle the ball better this way

But that doesn't give them the right to change the rules themselves

They should be disqualified

I wonder how many times they did that before

If Brady throws a lot of bad passes and interceptions during the Super Bowl we will know

Maybe he throws so hard his receivers can't hang on to it so if we see a lot of dropped passes in the Super Bowl by the patriots we will know

I saw them have a few games with 45 to 50 points this year

They must of been cheating all year

They wait till after the halls are inspected then cheat

I wonder if all those big high scoring games for the patriots were home games

• Upvote 2