Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

IRS Blasted By Rep. Mike Kelly

Obummer has everything to do with all this incompetency & corruption. I feel bad for the ones who voted for this guy. I know I would be very sickened, knowing I was duped this bad. What a buffoon this guy is. Pathetic

Before I write another word about this, it’s important to clarify to those who seem to consistently miss so many similar points, that this isn’t about my defending the IRS. I’m not. It’s about the hypocrisy of some on the right.

Take Joe Scarborough for example. He asked the IRS to target the NAACP ten years ago. Now he’s objecting, on Twitter, to the IRS targeting conservatives:

@JoeNBC:

scarborough-tweet-IRS-hypocrisy.jpg

Then there was GOP Senator Susan Collins who was outraged, outraged, by the IRS targeting conservative groups:

But ten years ago, she and Joe asked the IRS to target the NAACP. Here’s the article mentioning the letter from Sen. Collins and  former Rep. Scarborough to the IRS, asking them to target the NAACP titled, “IRS audit of NAACP was asked“:

Senator Susan Collins, a Maine Republican, yesterday called for a more aggressive response from the administration, calling on Obama to personally condemn the IRS action.

“This is truly outrageous and it contributes to the profound distrust that the American people have in government,” Collins said on CNN’s “State of the Union.”

She termed it “absolutely chilling that the IRS was singling out conservative groups for extra review. And I think that it’s very disappointing that the president hasn’t personally condemned this and spoken out.”

Did I mention that the IRS audited Greenpeace at the request of an ExxonMobil-funded group?

Gov. Robert L. Ehrlich Jr.’s chief fundraiser asked the Internal Revenue Service to investigate the NAACP’s tax-exempt status shortly after the 2000 presidential campaign, questioning whether the civil rights organization had inappropriately sought to influence the election. [...]

The other lawmakers included: Sen. Lamar Alexander of Tennessee, Sen. Susan M. Collins of Maine, Sen. Strom Thurmond of South Carolina, Rep. Jo Ann Davis of Virginia, Rep. Larry Combest of Texas and Rep. Joe Scarborough of Florida, now an MSNBC personality. Like Ehrlich, all are Republicans.

SOURCE

http://downeasttodc.bangordailynews.com/2013/05/15/home/no-collins-did-not-ask-irs-to-investigate-naacp/

No, Collins Did Not Ask IRS to Investigate NAACP
  •  

With the revelations that the Internal Revenue Service targeted conservative groups for more rigorous review of their applications for a certain tax exempt status, some on the left have begun calling foul on Republican lawmakers who they said were mum when the NAACP was similarly scrutinized in 2004. Among those is U.S. Sen. Susan Collins.

While on its face this seems a case of pure hypocrisy, the reality is a bit different.

Collins was cited by the NAACP in a press release as one of several GOP lawmakers who had demanded the IRS investigate its grassroots get-out-the-vote activities as it related to their tax exempt status. But what Collins’ office said about the incident is that she simply passed on requests from her concerned constituents to the Bush administration, rather than called for an inquiry herself.

A Collins spokesman says news reports at the time had mischaracterized her role and the NAACP, in complaining about the investigation that concluded in 2006, lumped her in with others. And in fact, the NAACP issued Collins an apology that year.

“Unfortunately, in the NAACP’s news release, it mischaracterized Sen. Susan Collins’ role as having filed a complaint along with several other senators which likely prompted the IRS investigation,” said the NAACP release, reprinted in Congressional Quarterly, a Capitol Hill publication in 2006. “Sen. Collins did not file a complaint with the IRS and the Association erred.”

The Washington Post, which had also listed Collins and other lawmakers like then U.S. Rep. Joe Scarborough as requesting the IRS to investigate the NAACP, issued a correction.

“The lawmakers forwarded complaints and requests for investigations from constituents to the IRS,” read the correction.

This time around, Collins is going all in on demanding answers from the Obama administration, however. She issued a letter Tuesday to Treasury Secretary Jack Lew Tuesday demanding answers about the IRS targeting scandal, which has been detailed in an Inspector General’s report and condemned by President Barack Obama in a statement issued following the IG report.

“The fact that the IRS chose to press these organizations for their membership lists suggests an effort to chill the constitutional rights of speech and association by groups that hold conservative views and that were seeking tax-exempt status,” Collins wrote in her letter to Lew. “Furthermore, the abuses that are now making headlines appear to be part of a larger pattern of questionable activity by the administration that seems intended to hinder or chill the expression of views critical of the administration.”

Collins said “irrespective” of whether the targeted groups were Republicans or Democrats it remains unacceptable.

“The American people cannot and will not tolerate the abuse of that power to erode their most fundamental rights,” she said. “It is imperative that the department act decisively to put an immediate end to such abuse, ensure appropriate policies are in place to prevent future such abuses, and give a full accounting to the American people of how such an abuse of power was allowed to occur.”

Collins is gearing up for re-election in 2014 and this is an obvious issue for her to take up as it burnishes her credentials on the right and really holds little downside with middle of the road voters.

Before I write another word about this, it’s important to clarify to those who seem to consistently miss so many similar points, that this isn’t about my defending the IRS. I’m not. It’s about the hypocrisy of some on the right.

Take Joe Scarborough for example. He asked the IRS to target the NAACP ten years ago. Now he’s objecting, on Twitter, to the IRS targeting conservatives:

@JoeNBC:

scarborough-tweet-IRS-hypocrisy.jpg

Then there was GOP Senator Susan Collins who was outraged, outraged, by the IRS targeting conservative groups:

But ten years ago, she and Joe asked the IRS to target the NAACP. Here’s the article mentioning the letter from Sen. Collins and  former Rep. Scarborough to the IRS, asking them to target the NAACP titled, “IRS audit of NAACP was asked“:

Senator Susan Collins, a Maine Republican, yesterday called for a more aggressive response from the administration, calling on Obama to personally condemn the IRS action.

“This is truly outrageous and it contributes to the profound distrust that the American people have in government,” Collins said on CNN’s “State of the Union.”

She termed it “absolutely chilling that the IRS was singling out conservative groups for extra review. And I think that it’s very disappointing that the president hasn’t personally condemned this and spoken out.”

Did I mention that the IRS audited Greenpeace at the request of an ExxonMobil-funded group?

Gov. Robert L. Ehrlich Jr.’s chief fundraiser asked the Internal Revenue Service to investigate the NAACP’s tax-exempt status shortly after the 2000 presidential campaign, questioning whether the civil rights organization had inappropriately sought to influence the election. [...]

The other lawmakers included: Sen. Lamar Alexander of Tennessee, Sen. Susan M. Collins of Maine, Sen. Strom Thurmond of South Carolina, Rep. Jo Ann Davis of Virginia, Rep. Larry Combest of Texas and Rep. Joe Scarborough of Florida, now an MSNBC personality. Like Ehrlich, all are Republicans.

SOURCE

The IRS went after C4L, one of the largest grassroots freedom & liberty movement groups out there. 

This is a Great Time to Remove the IRS from our Lives.....Flat Tax....Fair Tax....Problem Solve Many of Them!!!JMO

agreed!!! its time.

It was EXTREMELY refreshing to hear a Congressman both ream the IRS as well as lay on the table as well as he did the nation's fears of the IRS.  I loved it that he directly asked them if there was anywhere they could not reach.  The slimy ex-commissioner smirked when he said he 'could not remember' who gave the order.  Memory loss is so easy at times to claim.  The IRS is a bully agency against whom the average person has no defense.  With all this the question needs to be asked:  Now why should America trust the IRS to handle the enforcement side of Obamacare?  It is clear that the IRS is NOT working for the Americans.  It is clear that the IRS is NOT going to follow basic laws.  It is clear that the IRS WILL be invasive into private lives of Americans.  Now why should I trust them?

• Upvote 1