Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

The Goodness of Fats

Thank You So Much Thaiexpat for a healthy thought provoking thread.

I really am having a hard time giving up starches... but when I think about it.... artery cloggers. Yep.

Appreciate You Very Much And I Hope Lot's Of Our Members Read This Thread. I Value The Info You Gave.

• Upvote 1

Well, hubby had a TIA today, so we're going to be changing our diet. For now, he's on liquids for 2 weeks for the gut pain, then we'll see from there. I've been juicing fruits and veggies for him for 2 days. So far, he likes it. I'm guessing we'll be doing a lot of juicing and eating little animal fat, at least for a long while.

Thanks for all the info, Doc.

KK

Well, hubby had a TIA today, so we're going to be changing our diet. For now, he's on liquids for 2 weeks for the gut pain, then we'll see from there. I've been juicing fruits and veggies for him for 2 days. So far, he likes it. I'm guessing we'll be doing a lot of juicing and eating little animal fat, at least for a long while.

Thanks for all the info, Doc.

KK

KK All The Best To You And Your Lovie.

I'm Rooting For You Both. :)

Yes, hope he recovers soon. Something I totally forgot to mention: h2O2. Get "food grade" at the health food store for hubby. Order Ed McCabe's book about Oxygen therapy and go with  that. It is easy and TOTALLY SAFE. Oxygen is needed by the cells to do things. With enough O2, you can repair, restore anything. Please do give it  a try.

I will be trained in hyperbaric chamber this coming week, but will pass on any info I get from it, If I think it will help. I am already well trained in ozone, which I LOVE. This is just another therapy using oxygen to fix things.

Cheers and hope hubby is well SOON. CYA ALL in a week

• Upvote 2

I agree - I'm not going anytime soon either. I'm doing better with the diet. Moderation in all things of course.  I of course also have the supplements I take.

I don't know why a member gave you a - for your post. That's ridiculous. I just turned 50. My mother and my father are taking more meds than I can fathom. My Mother's kitchen looks like a pharmacy. She is 68. They take medication to control BP, cholesterol and heart conditions. I'm not a fan of taking medication. The FDA approves medication too often that has terrible side effects that we learn about years later. Doctors pump meds that are not needed if the patient lived a healthy life style.

My point is to be healthy. Be well members.  

As many of you know, I am a doctor working in a faraway land (never guess where!!!). As part of my requirements for maintaining my lecturer position (I teach medically-related topics besides working at the hospital), I have to write articles, etc every so often. I recently added a booklet titled, "The Goodness of Fats" and thought I would share a little bit of it here to help educate the good folks in DV. (don't worry, its short!!)

I want to make it very clear that: fats DONT make you fat. eating too much of anything will and not moving your a$$ from time-to-time will surely help get you that donlop you so desire!

Second, animal fats, such as; lard, butter, tallow, etc are actually very beneficial to you. In tradition societies that consumed dairy products, butter was regarded as a health-giving food item. animal fats are high in saturated fats which make them extremely stable and resistant to rancidity. Also, they provide forms of fatty acids which are antimicrobial (fights bugs), antifungal (fights yeast), immune supporting (balance prostaglandins) and digestive supportive (keeps your intestines intact).

Over 50% of your cell membrane is composed of saturated fats. This is critical to maintaining proper cell function. So avoiding saturated fats is not something you should strive for. In addition, eating a bunch of fat wont make your cholesterol go to moon. (Eating SUGARS and vegetable oils will) So don't be afraid of something we USED to eat in large quantities long ago. just ask your grand-parents: what did you eat when you were a child? They'd probably say, "Lard" "Chicken skins"

For those who are vegetarian, coconut and palm nut oil are very high in saturated fats. So there are options for all.

Please don't accept some blow-hards pronouncement that "Fats will give you a heart attack..blah, blah, blah.." No they wont. An arterial blockage contains only 15-25% saturated fat.

OK, hope this helps! Short and sweet. Look it up for yourself. don't believe us docs, we crazy!!

Oh, as for those who ask, my fat intake is about 40-50% of my diet. My cholesterol is 162. Before, when I was young pup in the Marines, it was 220. Body fat is about 12% (before 17%), BP is lower and I feel great. Gotta 6-pack without sit-ups and look physically more fit than 98% of the young college guys here. I am 50.

Cheers! here's to FATS!

Thai,

I am going to start eating fat lol.. I remember growing up, my mom would buy pork skin and fry it and make oil/lard to cook and the food tasted much better with lard.  Here, people are so afraid of fat that end up being fat lol lol ...

• Upvote 1

Interesting reading where one is in their research for an improvement in their physical wellbeing.I started this journey nearly 30 years ago, studied naturopathy for 3 years, osteopathy for a couple, had my own health centre for over 10 years practising as a remedial body therapist with a variety of modalities. My wake up call as to the reality of what is really going  on within the so called "health" industry came when I met the late Prof. Dr Sir John Whitman-Ray, the founder of Body Electronics, the science of cell regeneration, in 1995. I had the pleasure of being closely associated with him during the mid- to late 90's for a number of years, when I organised International Health Seminars and practised as an Iridologist. Over the years I have had a great deal of experience with a great number supplements, some of which we must have on a daily basis just  in order to survive. To really go into this would be taking at least a few weekends of seminar time, to be able to convey the message of what is happening within us and what we can do to attempt to change this. Even with all the knowledge I gained over the years, living a much healthier life style than the average individual, I was quite taken aback when 3 years ago I decided to have a computerised check up. 2 1/2 years later I went back with the same life style experience and to my dismay it had got worse. the reason I went to see this medical doctor again was because I had come across a food product I wished to test over a period of time and this is what I have done over the last 7 months, with a check up every 3 months. When I went for the 6th monthly test, mid-March of this year I finally had personal proof that what I was using finally worked to rebuild the body without having to go through the rigours of multitude of sessions of sustained accupressure point holding, which is not only very time consuming but can also be very painful as one works with the controlled release of the Kundalini Forces, which can also be dangerous if one does not know what is going on. As an example I can share with you that in Oct. '95 I broke 3 ribs, a week after this accident, I was in the fortunate position to be able to go to a seminar 600 kms from where I was living, where Dr John was and received 3 sessions of these accupuncture holding point techniques over a period of a day and a half. After the 3rd session Dr John put all his weight of 120kg on my ribcage and I had no  more pain. Until that time I still had a nagging doubt in the back of my mind of: does this really work? Like with all personal experiences the ones that really count are your own, for better or worse.  

I am in the process of updating my personal experiences with this particular food product and if you like I can let you all who are interested in this particular topic and are willing to take responsibility for your own wellbeing, know what I have experienced.

What started this off was that I was going to share with you that there is only one perfect oil, with the ideal balance of Omega 3 and Omega 6, which is Hemp Oil. If you get hold of Udo Erasmus's book "Fats that Heal and Fats that Kill" you can read up on all the available oils and their influence on your body. However by taking the best oils such as hemp and coconut, does not mean that you are going to get the full benefit of these as the catabolic process in our body far outweighs the anabolic process. There are a number of other important factors to consider. But that is another story. This will do for now. By the way I am not taking away or invalidating your own research and experience. My experiences have led me on a different path than yours and this is how we can share and compare and understand more about how we work, physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually. They all work very closely together, whether we like it or not. So be it.

• Upvote 2

Thanks Thaiexpat.. or Doc... always good advice... kinda echo's what the my mom and my wife's folks have said for years... "everything in moderation"... and of course them being farmers they always stayed busy burning off the calories by doing what farmers do best.  My wife's aunt and uncle on the other hand are on that "no fat, no meat... health kick"... and they look like a strong wind could blow them away... nothing healthy about that imo!!!

Tank dude... buddy if you like potatoes I gotta have you try some of my wife's Norwegian Krub recipe ... esp. the left overs when you slice and fry them and have them with real maple syrup for breakfast... o.k., I admit, that won't help lose the extra few pounds but it sure makes for some good comfort food!!!  :) 

44517.jpg

My  :twocents:  for health is going on a "cleansing fast" (link: http://calorielab.com/news/2008/07/17/master-cleanse-in-detail/ ) once a year to keep the colon clean, and having a by product of the fast being able to drop 10-20 lbs. in 10 days.  I know fast's aren't considered a "diet"... but I would do them for my health anyway... so hey, losing a few of the added pounds and staying within a healthy weight range is a good thing imho.  This is also the only fast I have ever done that I don't feel like I'm starving myself and I can keep on working my physically demanding job without a hitch.... no dip in energy levels.

• Upvote 1

Oh thanks Rod - just what I need. *lol*  I grew up around a bunch of Germans and Norwegians, so I have had my fair share of krub, lefse, krumkake and lutefiske.  Believe it or not, I actually like Lutefiske. "Squeeky teeth fish jello" as I used to call it as a kid.  Gotta have the melted butter with it though...

Which is why I also have to detox from time to time. *lol*  One thing I just heard the other day that kind of scared me.  Most people today are exposed to more environmental toxins in 30 minutes than our grandfathers were during their lifetime.  The body needs help to fight these off - diet is a good start - giving the body what it needs is the basic answer that I see.

skitealwedrop - not concerned about the minuses. I'm sure it's because I mentioned I take supplements. Some here know I'm affilieated with one - and they probably saw it as my pushing it. (Damn - guess in my own way I'm a "pumper"...*lol*)  I'll admit to be kind of "passionate" about it, but I do try hard to stay compliant with the site's policy about not promoting by not posting links or names of companies in the forums.  Last thing I want to do is jeopardize my being part of this great online community.

• Upvote 2

Interesting reading where one is in their research for an improvement in their physical wellbeing.

Would that we could all do the computerized scan and find what's wrong with us. Hemp oil, huh? I saw it at the health food store recently. I'd love to read the "Reader's Digest version" of what you've done to improve your health. My hubby is having all kinds of issues, we're just tackling them one by one.

KK

Thanks for the tips doc.

Hell of a read while Sit hear and finish off a 1/2 rack of ribs. 

I just turned 60 and I have always patterned my eating after my dad.

Everything in moderation and work your ass off every day and if you cant work then walk a few miles. 

He lived till he was 95 still had all his teeth. 

I would get calls at from the rest home at least once a week .

They found him in bed with another women and it had to stop.

Hey when your 95 those 70 gals is young stuff . 

hahahahahahahahahahaha  

• Upvote 6

Thanks for the tips doc.

Hell of a read while Sit hear and finish off a 1/2 rack of ribs. 

I just turned 60 and I have always patterned my eating after my dad.

Everything in moderation and work your ass off every day and if you cant work then walk a few miles. 

He lived till he was 95 still had all his teeth. 

I would get calls at from the rest home at least once a week .

They found him in bed with another women and it had to stop.

Hey when your 95 those 70 gals is young stuff . 

hahahahahahahahahahaha  

Hahahaha! Great story. That is LIVIN. That's how I want to go- in bed or in the lineup. (surfing for those who don't know)

• Upvote 2

Want a healthy fat...use coconut oil....instead of lard...or bacon fat for frying,..just don't use vegetable oil or olive oil in the frying pan

Sorry for the confusion, but what is the difference between bacon FAT and LARD?? Being newly converted "Jews-for-Bacon" I didn't know. Thanks in advance for the clarification.

Sorry for the confusion, but what is the difference between bacon FAT and LARD?? Being newly converted "Jews-for-Bacon" I didn't know. Thanks in advance for the clarification.

Bacon fat is the grease drained from the frying process (best used to grease pans and add for flavoring).

Lard is raw fat from the pig (needs to be rendered... cooked very slowly to separate it from the "cracklings"... best to use in baking and pie crusts).... bout all I can glean from my lovely wife/farm girl at this time!  ;) 

Bacon fat is the grease drained from the frying process (best used to grease pans and add for flavoring).

Lard is raw fat from the pig (needs to be rendered... cooked very slowly to separate it from the "cracklings"... best to use in baking and pie crusts).... bout all I can glean from my lovely wife/farm girl at this time!  ;)

So....doesn't make it the SAME thing?!?! Bacon is from pigs. Lard is from pigs. Am I missing something? I mean, is this a cruel "Sofa King Low" joke I am not getting (again!!)?

Thanks!

• Upvote 2

So....doesn't make it the SAME thing?!?! Bacon is from pigs. Lard is from pigs. Am I missing something? I mean, is this a cruel "Sofa King Low" joke I am not getting (again!!)?

Thanks!

No joke here... I would say that lard is used more for a base in baking... while bacon grease is more for flavoring or greasing a pan.  As for the actual differences... though they both derive from the pig..the bacon grease is a bit more of a refined product or process... while the lard is more in it's natural state.  

Here's a quote from an magazine article we subscribe to....

"What is the alternative to processed fats?  Plain unadulterated animal fats.  Despite what some of the experts have been telling us for years, our bodies actually need fat and are able to process the natural fats much more easily.  In fact, the natural fats lubricate our arteries and do not block them up like all the "unnatural fats".

Interestingly enough, coronary heart disease was rare in America before 1920.  Since that time heart disease has become almost epidemic.  Many have blamed the increase of saturated fats in the diet but "in the period from 1920 to 1970 the percentage of dietary vegetable oils in the form of margarine, shortening and refined oils in increased about 400 percent whilst the consumption of sugar and processed food increased about 60 percent."  The consumption of animal fat in the diet decreased.   ... It is up to us to educate ourselves.   (Countryside Vol 96 July/Aug. 12012)

Hope that helps Doc!!!  ;) 

• Upvote 1

No joke here... I would say that lard is used more for a base in baking... while bacon grease is more for flavoring or greasing a pan.  As for the actual differences... though they both derive from the pig..the bacon grease is a bit more of a refined product or process... while the lard is more in it's natural state.  

Here's a quote from an magazine article we subscribe to....

"What is the alternative to processed fats?  Plain unadulterated animal fats.  Despite what some of the experts have been telling us for years, our bodies actually need fat and are able to process the natural fats much more easily.  In fact, the natural fats lubricate our arteries and do not block them up like all the "unnatural fats".

Interestingly enough, coronary heart disease was rare in America before 1920.  Since that time heart disease has become almost epidemic.  Many have blamed the increase of saturated fats in the diet but "in the period from 1920 to 1970 the percentage of dietary vegetable oils in the form of margarine, shortening and refined oils in increased about 400 percent whilst the consumption of sugar and processed food increased about 60 percent."  The consumption of animal fat in the diet decreased.   ... It is up to us to educate ourselves.   (Countryside Vol 96 July/Aug. 12012)

Hope that helps Doc!!!  ;) 

Thank you for that. Then, I don't follow the other doc's recommendation about "don't use lard, use bacon fats..." Since lard is unrefined this means it is more stable. Less chance of rancidity, less oxidation, less of the bad stuff (verses vegetable oils, which are TOTAL CRAPOLA). Also, bacon I buy is just bacon-nothing added. Plain and simple. I do use it to cook with AFTER cooking the bacon, like drop in some eggs, but I use full-up lard from a jar for most cooking. It really works well and makes everything taste that much better.

OK, still confused about what someone else recommended, but clear on the difference between the two. Thank you

• Upvote 1

Thank you for that. Then, I don't follow the other doc's recommendation about "don't use lard, use bacon fats..." Since lard is unrefined this means it is more stable. Less chance of rancidity, less oxidation, less of the bad stuff (verses vegetable oils, which are TOTAL CRAPOLA). Also, bacon I buy is just bacon-nothing added. Plain and simple. I do use it to cook with AFTER cooking the bacon, like drop in some eggs, but I use full-up lard from a jar for most cooking. It really works well and makes everything taste that much better.

OK, still confused about what someone else recommended, but clear on the difference between the two. Thank you

I don't know why... but it seems much of the medical professions is adept at misdirection... if you have high cholesterol... they tell you to cut out meat and dairy products!  Farmers for many generations have eaten diets consisting mainly on those two and have had little or no problem.  They also worked hard though (my wife was raised on a dairy farm in WI., so I can attest to that).  The medical profession doesn't like to address all the additives our food source's have undergone over the last 50-70 years however.  And like the Country Side article implied... the rise in all the things we are seeing coincides with those additives.  Makes me wonder why they are keeping quiet?  Maybe it's more profitable to prescribe potential harmful medication than telling someone to eat right... just a thought!!!   ;)

• Upvote 1

Tankdude - I love using coconut oil too for cooking - and occasionally avocado oil, walnut or almond oil, too. And if I'm cooking something exotic and want a real special taste addition, I love a drop or two of truffle oil. OMGOODNESS that rocks.

I've entirely quit using vegetable oil, canola etc. Good old butter etc. for me - I exercise some daily - chores etc. outside, plus my cholesterol remains well under 200, no high blood pressure - don't drink sugared drinks - may be once a year I have a pop.

Thaiexpat, good thread - hope it goes into the health section thanks for sharing.

• Upvote 3

We use coconut oil to pop popcorn... wonderful flavor... of course then we use butter and brewers yeast to flavor the popcorn... we love it and wouldn't have it any other way... well, actually I'm open to new methods.... but that's our "present" favorite!!!   ;)

• Upvote 2