Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

The Goodness of Fats

As many of you know, I am a doctor working in a faraway land (never guess where!!!). As part of my requirements for maintaining my lecturer position (I teach medically-related topics besides working at the hospital), I have to write articles, etc every so often. I recently added a booklet titled, "The Goodness of Fats" and thought I would share a little bit of it here to help educate the good folks in DV. (don't worry, its short!!)

I want to make it very clear that: fats DONT make you fat. eating too much of anything will and not moving your a$$ from time-to-time will surely help get you that donlop you so desire!

Second, animal fats, such as; lard, butter, tallow, etc are actually very beneficial to you. In tradition societies that consumed dairy products, butter was regarded as a health-giving food item. animal fats are high in saturated fats which make them extremely stable and resistant to rancidity. Also, they provide forms of fatty acids which are antimicrobial (fights bugs), antifungal (fights yeast), immune supporting (balance prostaglandins) and digestive supportive (keeps your intestines intact).

Over 50% of your cell membrane is composed of saturated fats. This is critical to maintaining proper cell function. So avoiding saturated fats is not something you should strive for. In addition, eating a bunch of fat wont make your cholesterol go to moon. (Eating SUGARS and vegetable oils will) So don't be afraid of something we USED to eat in large quantities long ago. just ask your grand-parents: what did you eat when you were a child? They'd probably say, "Lard" "Chicken skins"

For those who are vegetarian, coconut and palm nut oil are very high in saturated fats. So there are options for all.

Please don't accept some blow-hards pronouncement that "Fats will give you a heart attack..blah, blah, blah.." No they wont. An arterial blockage contains only 15-25% saturated fat.

OK, hope this helps! Short and sweet. Look it up for yourself. don't believe us docs, we crazy!!

Oh, as for those who ask, my fat intake is about 40-50% of my diet. My cholesterol is 162. Before, when I was young pup in the Marines, it was 220. Body fat is about 12% (before 17%), BP is lower and I feel great. Gotta 6-pack without sit-ups and look physically more fit than 98% of the young college guys here. I am 50.

Cheers! here's to FATS!

• Upvote 10

You're very welcome. I wrote a similar booklet on Bio-identical hormones, but figured that would exclude at least 50% of the readers!! hahaha. Actually, I have written about 5 booklets with accompanying power points. I share them freely with other docs,patients, people interested. No copyrights-happy to share the info I get. To your health! Cheers!

Edited by Thaiexpat
  • Upvote 2

I love cooking with coconut oil...as a matter of fact, it gives a great flavor to pork chops!  Double fat for me. *lol*

Like you Doc, I'm 52, can do more pushups and situps on my PT test than most of the guys in their 30's (they do outrun me though) My LDL, HDL and Ratio are all in line, and I eat quite a bit of pork, red meat usually once or twice a week, and eggs almost every morning. I'll admit to carrying about 10-16 pounds extra (unfotunatley haveing problems breaking my starch habit *lol*  Love my mashed potatoes too much)

Good information.

When I origonally looked, I thougth I saw the name of another booklet you had written.  I'm a bit of a cellular science nut - what some of the people I work with call a "mitochondriac".

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

I seriously think that reading too much, and doing the research is over rated. This month they say chocolate is bad, next it is good for you. Coffee this month is bad, now it is good.

Just eat whatever you want to eat, just do it in moderation.

Do your exercise, eat regularly, and try to eliminate stress and worry.

That medical advise is free................................................:)

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

Thaiexpat,  So what's the cause of high cholesterol.  Can your body over produce it and why?  Person is not overweight, he has a healthy diet, and works out on a regular basis.  Some insight would be appreiciated. :)

Typically, high cholesterol can come from: excessive consumption of sugars, inflammation, or oxidative stress. sugars from starches and grains are big ones on the list because people think they are good for them vs. coke, cake and ice cream. fruit juice is also a huge source of sugars-yes, even the organic, no-sugar added types. I would check that person's thyroid, C-reactive protein and homocysteine levels, review their diet for any carbohydrate outside of a veggie or fruit, make sure they are eating non-vegetable oil fats, check for any possible inflammation issues (esp the TEETH) and go from there. Also, cholesterol is an anti-oxidant, therefore, as we age, our cholesterol level will probably go up to deal with more free-radical generation/exposure. And YES your body makes about 78-80% of cholesterol found in your blood. SO, the big question is: If its soo dangerous, why does your body produce so much of it?

A case to illustrate this: My brother is 4 years older than I. He runs daily, but eats a lot of "regular" foods and drinks cola daily. His cholesterol level is 400 +. Compared to my diet and low levels of exercise (15 mins 2-3 x per week), we can see that SUGAR is the biggest difference. We both look somewhat similar in general appearance, but my health is vastly superior. Again, this is LESS exercise and more fats. hope this helps. Cheers

I love cooking with coconut oil...as a matter of fact, it gives a great flavor to pork chops!  Double fat for me. *lol*

Like you Doc, I'm 52, can do more pushups and situps on my PT test than most of the guys in their 30's (they do outrun me though) My LDL, HDL and Ratio are all in line, and I eat quite a bit of pork, red meat usually once or twice a week, and eggs almost every morning. I'll admit to carrying about 10-16 pounds extra (unfotunatley haveing problems breaking my starch habit *lol*  Love my mashed potatoes too much)

Good information.

When I origonally looked, I thougth I saw the name of another booklet you had written.  I'm a bit of a cellular science nut - what some of the people I work with call a "mitochondriac".

hahahaha. Funny! Ah, the kartoffel! Potatoes! Well, if you can cut them out, you'd be fighting weight in no time! Good luck to you!

Cheers

Thanks, Doc! Written any booklets on IBS-C?

KK

Working on it!!! Let you know when your order is up!! In the meantime, no starches or grains (of any sort), lots of aloe vera, whey protein powder, herbals that repair the gut, FATS (like coconut oil). Test for any other possible allergens and avoid those foods also. Drink ozone water or oil. Cheers! Hope this helps

• Upvote 2

Thanks Doc - working on cutting out the starches. I'm down to only 2-3 times a week - mainly at lunch so I have most of the day to work them off.

Oxidative stress, like you mentioned, has now been linked to over 70 different conditions.  In humans, oxidative stress is involved in many diseases, such as atherosclerosis, Parkinson's disease, heart failure, myocardial infarction, Alzheimer's disease, fragile X syndrome and chronic fatigue syndrome, but short-term oxidative stress may also be important in prevention of aging by induction of a process named mitohormesis. Reactive oxygen species can be beneficial, as they are used by the immune system as a way to attack and kill pathogens. Reactive oxygen species are also used in cell signaling. This is dubbed redox signaling.

http://www.news-medical.net/health/What-is-Oxidative-Stress.aspx

That's really where my interest lies. You might say Redox Signalling is my forte' - about all I can say about that...*lol*

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Damn...read the title wrong....thought it said 'Thank Goodness you're Fat' or maybe The Goodness of Fat Ones.

Nice work on the contrarian research to the regular main stream medical profession Doc....sounds absurd at first ..... but hey, you are living proof of the regime.

Keep stimulating the discussion with these great articles from your work

• Upvote 2

Typically, high cholesterol can come from: excessive consumption of sugars, inflammation, or oxidative stress. sugars from starches and grains are big ones on the list because people think they are good for them vs. coke, cake and ice cream. fruit juice is also a huge source of sugars-yes, even the organic, no-sugar added types. I would check that person's thyroid, C-reactive protein and homocysteine levels, review their diet for any carbohydrate outside of a veggie or fruit, make sure they are eating non-vegetable oil fats, check for any possible inflammation issues (esp the TEETH) and go from there. Also, cholesterol is an anti-oxidant, therefore, as we age, our cholesterol level will probably go up to deal with more free-radical generation/exposure. And YES your body makes about 78-80% of cholesterol found in your blood. SO, the big question is: If its soo dangerous, why does your body produce so much of it?

A case to illustrate this: My brother is 4 years older than I. He runs daily, but eats a lot of "regular" foods and drinks cola daily. His cholesterol level is 400 +. Compared to my diet and low levels of exercise (15 mins 2-3 x per week), we can see that SUGAR is the biggest difference. We both look somewhat similar in general appearance, but my health is vastly superior. Again, this is LESS exercise and more fats. hope this helps. Cheers

I like your sincerity of your style in sharing your knowledge. I will be passing this on to a love one. 

Thanks Thaiexpat.  :twothumbs:

Damn...read the title wrong....thought it said 'Thank Goodness you're Fat' or maybe The Goodness of Fat Ones.

Nice work on the contrarian research to the regular main stream medical profession Doc....sounds absurd at first ..... but hey, you are living proof of the regime.

Hahahaha! How that is funny. Well, if you're HAPPY and fat, then good for you! I like happy fat people! Or slim sexy girls! Hahahaha

Cheers

• Upvote 3

Hahaha FlyHi :)

Thank You Thaiexpat :) Not only interesting but it took a load of guilt away too.

That is great, I really enjoy my bacon, and now will do so guilt free!

Actually I have lost a few pounds this last year and I didn't cut out any fat in my diet.

Fortunately I have never had a sweet tooth and don't care for cola's... I just got a lot more active and prestola! :)

I guess I will need to take a look at the canola oil that I thought was good for me along with the pasta if I want to keep it off, huh?

How about olive oil? I did discover coconut oil when I was sick last year with broncitis sp?...

My web search for a cure showed that it helps the lungs and I believe it did.,, I love it on toast! Yum.

Good information.

Good information.

Eat healthy, it's rather simple. I'm mostly vegetarian these days. I don't eat fast food or pre packaged crap from the grocery store. Hopefully, my diet and exercise will extend my life. I'm not headed to the the grave any time soon.    

• Upvote 2

You're very welcome. I wrote a similar booklet on Bio-identical hormones, but figured that would exclude at least 50% of the readers!! hahaha. Actually, I have written about 5 booklets with accompanying power points. I share them freely with other docs,patients, people interested. No copyrights-happy to share the info I get. To your health! Cheers!

So where can I get some of your pamphlets? Do you have them available on the internet? As a single man, 57 years old I am wanting to take my health/diet a little more serious. I have battled with low blood sugar for 20+ years and really want to get that taken care of along with the blood pressure. Unemployed and no insurance has me in a position that doesn't allow me to get medical attention by going to the doctor and having blood work done. Too proud to get it through welfare and I'm not even sure if I qualify. Don't take me wrong, I'm not holding a pity party, just being honest.

• Upvote 3

Eat healthy, it's rather simple. I'm mostly vegetarian these days. I don't eat fast food or pre packaged crap from the grocery store. Hopefully, my diet and exercise will extend my life. I'm not headed to the the grave any time soon.    

I agree - I'm not going anytime soon either. I'm doing better with the diet. Moderation in all things of course.  I of course also have the supplements I take.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

So where can I get some of your pamphlets? Do you have them available on the internet? As a single man, 57 years old I am wanting to take my health/diet a little more serious. I have battled with low blood sugar for 20+ years and really want to get that taken care of along with the blood pressure. Unemployed and no insurance has me in a position that doesn't allow me to get medical attention by going to the doctor and having blood work done. Too proud to get it through welfare and I'm not even sure if I qualify. Don't take me wrong, I'm not holding a pity party, just being honest.

Wilder I am As Curious As You Are.

I am in the same boat, yet I feel fortunate that I am not on all those drugs that they show on the comercials.

Really??? Do I want to "bleed to death". NOPE!

I Hope To Go Your Route And Take Care Of Myself.

PS. I Saw Our Local Hospital Murder My Best Friend's Husband. They Had The Best Insurance One Could Have.

Hahaha FlyHi :)

Thank You Thaiexpat :) Not only interesting but it took a load of guilt away too.

That is great, I really enjoy my bacon, and now will do so guilt free!

Actually I have lost a few pounds this last year and I didn't cut out any fat in my diet.

Fortunately I have never had a sweet tooth and don't care for cola's... I just got a lot more active and prestola! :)

I guess I will need to take a look at the canola oil that I thought was good for me along with the pasta if I want to keep it off, huh?

How about olive oil? I did discover coconut oil when I was sick last year with broncitis sp?...

My web search for a cure showed that it helps the lungs and I believe it did.,, I love it on toast! Yum.

Olive oil is great, just try not to heat it up too much. Also, try to find REAL olive oil. It is dark, SPICY and not clear-thru (has a hazy look to it). There is a book out there, I forget the title, which exposes the total SCAM that most olive oil producer put out. Its worth a read since it will save you time and money. I order mine from a family farm in Italy. I know the person. Cheers

Hey!! no bread!!! hahaahahah

That's a good question! I write here for local consumption, but can email them to anyone who desires. The problem is getting them to you....and suggestions? I am working with a gal in NZ who wants me to start a webpage info thingy. Its still in the planning stages at this moment.

As for now, the think the following rule of thumb will help keep you healthy. I will divide it into 3 sections: diet, exercise and stress-management.

Diet: avoid ALL starches and grains. This means whole wheat, etc. doesn't matter. Rice is probably the most neutral of them all, so if you are having DT's from not eating them, go for rice and in small portions. You DONT need them and you can get more vitamins and minerals from other sources. Of course, eat organic as much as possible or grow your own food. Many food (like corn) are GMO-avoid them unless Monsanto agrees to pay you for being a lab rat. Soy is crap-don't eat it. Beans are OK. Real foods, prepared AT HOME are wonderful. Make your own soup stocks, LEARN to cook if you aren't very good. I became a chef AFTER I was a doctor. I went to professional chef school for 2 years. It was a blessing since now I can cook like a champ with little effort and time. (Plus it impresses the hell outta the ladies!!!!) Eat real FATS and not processed vegetable oils or butter replacement crap. Eat some of your food raw (yes, even meats IF you can find a fresh, organic source), but something needs to be raw daily (even just the fruits will work). Eat SMALL portions and follow the saying of the healthiest people in the world, "Hara Hachi Bu", which means never above EIGHT or eat only to 80%. I come from the island of those people. Use herbs known to be very healthful, like, turmeric and ginger. I add turmeric to EVERYTHING! It has no real taste, but is a proven cancer fighter.

Exercise: do something DAILY. walk, run, swim, whatever. Only a corpse doesn't need daily activity. Look-up Mark Sisson, Robb Wolfe or Dr. Al Sears for proper exercise routines. I workout only 2-3 per week for 15-20 mins. That is all you really need IF DONE PROPERLY, but you need to do something daily (I walk a lot also). Lift something heavy from time to time. It is in our history of doing manual labour and lifting crap about. Your body will respond well if done safely.

Stress-management: Well, I would say live in the country, but not everyone can do that. Learn Tai chi, yoga or qi gong. Slow your MIND down whenever possible. Stress will kill you faster than dognuts, so de-stress when possible. I don't mean live on a hill, but change they way you see things and "don't sweat the small stuff". There are better things to worry about-like Oakies predictions!!!

Avoid taking medicines-big stressor there! First, should be natural medicines. If they don't help, go to the RX and take the lowest thing needed to recover. THEN go back on the natural supplements to get you 100%.

EDUCATED yourself and don't rely upon so-called professionals to make decisions for you. Weight each idea out and see what melds with your thoughts. Try things. Mix it up till you find something that works for you. I am just giving general ideas about what I see work in my practice and life. Each person is totally different. You need to find what works for you.

Hope this helps. Cheers and avoid docs-we crazy!!!!

• Upvote 6

That's a good question! I write here for local consumption, but can email them to anyone who desires. The problem is getting them to you....and suggestions? I am working with a gal in NZ who wants me to start a webpage info thingy. Its still in the planning stages at this moment.

As for now, the think the following rule of thumb will help keep you healthy. I will divide it into 3 sections: diet, exercise and stress-management.

Diet: avoid ALL starches and grains. This means whole wheat, etc. doesn't matter. Rice is probably the most neutral of them all, so if you are having DT's from not eating them, go for rice and in small portions. You DONT need them and you can get more vitamins and minerals from other sources. Of course, eat organic as much as possible or grow your own food. Many food (like corn) are GMO-avoid them unless Monsanto agrees to pay you for being a lab rat. Soy is crap-don't eat it. Beans are OK. Real foods, prepared AT HOME are wonderful. Make your own soup stocks, LEARN to cook if you aren't very good. I became a chef AFTER I was a doctor. I went to professional chef school for 2 years. It was a blessing since now I can cook like a champ with little effort and time. (Plus it impresses the hell outta the ladies!!!!) Eat real FATS and not processed vegetable oils or butter replacement crap. Eat some of your food raw (yes, even meats IF you can find a fresh, organic source), but something needs to be raw daily (even just the fruits will work). Eat SMALL portions and follow the saying of the healthiest people in the world, "Hara Hachi Bu", which means never above EIGHT or eat only to 80%. I come from the island of those people. Use herbs known to be very healthful, like, turmeric and ginger. I add turmeric to EVERYTHING! It has no real taste, but is a proven cancer fighter.

Exercise: do something DAILY. walk, run, swim, whatever. Only a corpse doesn't need daily activity. Look-up Mark Sisson, Robb Wolfe or Dr. Al Sears for proper exercise routines. I workout only 2-3 per week for 15-20 mins. That is all you really need IF DONE PROPERLY, but you need to do something daily (I walk a lot also). Lift something heavy from time to time. It is in our history of doing manual labour and lifting crap about. Your body will respond well if done safely.

Stress-management: Well, I would say live in the country, but not everyone can do that. Learn Tai chi, yoga or qi gong. Slow your MIND down whenever possible. Stress will kill you faster than dognuts, so de-stress when possible. I don't mean live on a hill, but change they way you see things and "don't sweat the small stuff". There are better things to worry about-like Oakies predictions!!!

Avoid taking medicines-big stressor there! First, should be natural medicines. If they don't help, go to the RX and take the lowest thing needed to recover. THEN go back on the natural supplements to get you 100%.

EDUCATED yourself and don't rely upon so-called professionals to make decisions for you. Weight each idea out and see what melds with your thoughts. Try things. Mix it up till you find something that works for you. I am just giving general ideas about what I see work in my practice and life. Each person is totally different. You need to find what works for you.

Hope this helps. Cheers and avoid docs-we crazy!!!!

Thanks! I appreciate this very much. I started walking, hoping to get to an accelerated pace eventually. stress, I hang out with my grandson and play video games or jump on the trampoline with him. Although he's 6, I'm 57 and broke down somewhat from a hunting accident so getting knocked over by the boy isn't helpful. Educating myself, well asking people like you and others as well, especially when they tell me they're doing it without the aid of pills. I stay away from the energy drinks, that stuff can't be good for you when you jumpstart yourself like that. I tried the 5 hour drink one time and that made me sick to my stomach (hey I'm a light weight when it comes to things like that). I wonder if this can go in the natural cure forum on this site? Markinsa/Bumper???

Working on it!!! Let you know when your order is up!! In the meantime, no starches or grains (of any sort), lots of aloe vera, whey protein powder, herbals that repair the gut, FATS (like coconut oil). Test for any other possible allergens and avoid those foods also. Drink ozone water or oil. Cheers! Hope this helps

Thanks, Doc! He's just a mess right now. I want to try him on the FODMAP diet, but the dr has him on liquids for the next 2 weeks. Payday I'll get him some aloe vera and probiotics and see if that helps any. We use coconut oil for almost everything, have been for a couple months. We have the kind that has no flavor, so it's very versatile. He was drinking alkaline water for a week or so but it didn't seem to make a difference. They've ruled out gall bladder but the pain is in that general area. I'm worried sick. His bp is peaking over 200/100 the last few days and he's fainted several times. The dr started him on 2 new bp meds today, hoping they help.

He's seeing a surgeon in the morning to make sure gall bladder removal is definitely out.

Thanks again for all your help...

KK

Been doing a lot of researching for hubby's gut issues, funny how the food pyramid suggests so much grain when up to 20% of the US population is sensitive to gluten. Hmmm, could that be a conspiracy, to weaken us physically by encouraging us to eat something that may destroy us from the inside? Flouridate our drinking water to dumb us down... 

Geez, I'm sounding really nutty now! (To myself anyway...)

KK

• Upvote 1

Hi Doc, I'm really enjoying your healthy insights here. What are your thoughts on fruits and nuts? What are the benefits versus negatives and what would you recommended for daily consumption. Thanks in Advance.

Sorry for the slow reply. 2 days no net.

Love them both. EATEN fruit ONLY. No fruit juices (Yes, there is a BIG difference)

Nuts and sees in raw form OR mix it with some blanched or just roasted.

Cheers