Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Good memories of a better place & time.‏

moose 57

Someone asked the other day,,
'What was your favorite fast food when you were growing up?'

'We didn't have fast food when I was growing up ?? ,'
I informed him ,,.
'All the food was slow.'

'C'mon, seriously.
Where did you eat?'

'It was a place called 'at
home
,' I explained. !
'Mom cooked every day and when Dad got home from work,
we sat down together at the dining room table,& if I didn't like what she put on my plate, I was allowed to sit there until I did like it.'

By this time, the kid was laughing so hard I was afraid he was going to suffer serious internal damage, so I didn't tell him the part about how I had to have permission to leave the table.
Here are some other things I would have told him about my childhood if I figured his system could have handled it :;;

Some parents NEVER owned their own house, wore Levis , set foot on a golf course, traveled out of the country or had a credit card.

My parents never drove me to school. I had a bicycle that weighed probably 50 pounds, and only had one speed, (slow).

We didn't have a television in our house until I was 10. It was, of course, black and white, and the station went off the air at 11, after playing the national anthem and a poem about God. It came back on the air at about 6 a.m. and there was usually a locally produced news and farm show on, featuring local people...

I never had a telephone in my room. The only phone was on a party line. Before you could dial, you had to listen and make sure some people you didn't know weren't already using the line.

Pizzas were not delivered to our home... But milk was.

All newspapers were delivered by boys and all boys delivered newspapers
--I delivered a newspaper, six days a week. He had to get up at 5
AM
every morning.

Movie stars kissed with their mouths shut. At least, they did in the movies. There were no movie ratings because all movies were responsibly produced for everyone to enjoy viewing, without profanity or violence or most anything offensive.

If you grew up in a generation before there was fast food, you may want to share some of these memories with your children or grandchildren. Just don't blame me if they bust a gut laughing.

Growing up isn't what it used to be, is it?

MEMORIES:

My Dad is cleaning out my grandmother's house and he brought me an old Royal Crown Cola bottle. In the bottle top was a stopper with a bunch of holes in it.. I knew immediately what it was, but my daughter had no idea. She thought they had tried to make it a salt shaker or something. I knew it as the bottle that sat on the end of the ironing board to 'sprinkle' clothes with because we didn't have steam irons. Man, I am old.

How many do you remember?
Head lights dimmer switches on the floor.

Ignition switches on the dashboard.

Pant leg clips for bicycles without chain guards.

Soldering irons you heat on a gas burner.

Using hand signals for cars without turn signals..

Older Than Dirt Quiz :;;;

Count all the ones that you remember
,, NOT
the ones you were told about
!!
{ or change the color of the print }

Ratings at the bottom.

Candy cigarettes

Coffee shops with tableside juke boxes

Home milk delivery in glass bottles

Party lines on the telephones

Newsreels before the movie

test patterns that came on at night after the last show and were there until
TV shows started again in the morning. (there were only 3 channels !!
[
if you were fortunate
])

7. Peashooters

8. Howdy Doody

45 RPM records

10.Hi-fi's records

Metal ice trays with lever

Blue flashbulb

Cork popguns

Studebakers

Wash tub wringers

<>

If you remembered 0-3 = You're still young

If you remembered 3-6 = You are getting older

If you remembered 7-10 = Don't tell your age, &

If you remembered 11-15
=
You're older than dirt
!!!

• Upvote 5

Someone asked the other day,,
'What was your favorite fast food when you were growing up?'

'We didn't have fast food when I was growing up ?? ,'
I informed him ,,.
'All the food was slow.'

'C'mon, seriously.
Where did you eat?'

'It was a place called 'at
home
,' I explained. !
'Mom cooked every day and when Dad got home from work,
we sat down together at the dining room table,& if I didn't like what she put on my plate, I was allowed to sit there until I did like it.'

By this time, the kid was laughing so hard I was afraid he was going to suffer serious internal damage, so I didn't tell him the part about how I had to have permission to leave the table.
Here are some other things I would have told him about my childhood if I figured his system could have handled it :;;

Some parents NEVER owned their own house, wore Levis , set foot on a golf course, traveled out of the country or had a credit card.

My parents never drove me to school. I had a bicycle that weighed probably 50 pounds, and only had one speed, (slow).

We didn't have a television in our house until I was 10. It was, of course, black and white, and the station went off the air at 11, after playing the national anthem and a poem about God. It came back on the air at about 6 a.m. and there was usually a locally produced news and farm show on, featuring local people...

I never had a telephone in my room. The only phone was on a party line. Before you could dial, you had to listen and make sure some people you didn't know weren't already using the line.

Pizzas were not delivered to our home... But milk was.

All newspapers were delivered by boys and all boys delivered newspapers
--my brother delivered a newspaper, six days a week. He had to get up at 5
AM
every morning.

Movie stars kissed with their mouths shut. At least, they did in the movies. There were no movie ratings because all movies were responsibly produced for everyone to enjoy viewing, without profanity or violence or most anything offensive.

If you grew up in a generation before there was fast food, you may want to share some of these memories with your children or grandchildren. Just don't blame me if they bust a gut laughing.

Growing up isn't what it used to be, is it?

MEMORIES:

My Dad is cleaning out my grandmother's house and he brought me an old Royal Crown Cola bottle. In the bottle top was a stopper with a bunch of holes in it.. I knew immediately what it was, but my daughter had no idea. She thought they had tried to make it a salt shaker or something. I knew it as the bottle that sat on the end of the ironing board to 'sprinkle' clothes with because we didn't have steam irons. Man, I am old.

How many do you remember?
Head lights dimmer switches on the floor.

Ignition switches on the dashboard.

Pant leg clips for bicycles without chain guards.

Soldering irons you heat on a gas burner.

Using hand signals for cars without turn signals..

,, NOT
!!

Ratings at the bottom.

Candy cigarettes

[
if you were fortunate
])

7. Peashooters

8. Howdy Doody

45 RPM records

10.Hi-fi's records

Blue flashbulb

Cork popguns

Studebakers

Wash tub wringers

<>

If you remembered 11-15
=
You're older than dirt
!!!

That was great moose. Definitly a better time.

I guess im at the older then dirt level. I remember everything on that list

• Upvote 2

I must be older than dirt :lol:

Also remember:

Taking baths in a tub in the kitchen.

Going to the outhouse after dark with a lantern.

Pumping water out back and carrying it inside to be boiled before drinking.

Eating watermelons in the "patch"

Digging peanuts

Picking cotton

Drinking coke with peanuts in the bottle while we waited for the cotton to be ginned.

Had no idea we were poor - loved my childhood - loving parents, doting grandmother, extended family

that was always there if you needed them - YEP, older than dirt :lmao: :lmao:

:rocking-chair:

• Upvote 1

I'm not supposed to tell my age and I'm pushing the older than dirt level...

The sailors in my division used to say about me that "the Senior Chief is so old that he had his seabag packed and that he was sitting on the pier waiting for God to invent water."

Loved those "kids!"

• Upvote 1

That was great moose. Definitly a better time.

I guess im at the older then dirt level. I remember everything on that list

You are older than dirt?? That's nothin'. I remember when dirt was white.

I must be older than dirt :lol:/>

Also remember:

Taking baths in a tub in the kitchen.

Going to the outhouse after dark with a lantern.

Pumping water out back and carrying it inside to be boiled before drinking.

Eating watermelons in the "patch"

Digging peanuts

Picking cotton

Drinking coke with peanuts in the bottle while we waited for the cotton to be ginned.

Had no idea we were poor - loved my childhood - loving parents, doting grandmother, extended family

that was always there if you needed them - YEP, older than dirt :lmao:/> :lmao:/>

:rocking-chair:/>

I remember when my mother used to turn on the key and then push the button on the dashboard to start the car. lol

• Upvote 1

Guess I'm older than dirt cause I did em all.

Also add push starter on the floor to start the car all the while holding the clutch in and your foot on the brake.

TG. Yep a bath on Sat. nights sitting in a copper tub getting hot water from a kettle on the wood stove.

The out house with newspaper or catalog for reading and .......

New England winters were harh so outhouse duties were quick, no reading

Glad to be in awesome company.

Moose,

Thanks for reminding me of the old days. I

don't feel older then dirt but remember all

of those things. I do remember sitting at the

dinner table for hours until I liked green peas.

We may not have had all the luxuries at that

time but the pace of life was much better.

• Upvote 1

Cripes!! I'm so Old, when I Fart, Dust Flys Out!! :P:P:D:lol:

No such thing as Air Conditioners, Open a Wndow!!

My Mom had a Dryer, Never used It, Do You know what Electricity costs??

Never stayup past 8:30 P.M. Until I was 18. GET TO BED!!

35 Cents to see 2 Movies. Mom always asked us if She was a Bank.

Delivered Newspapers, Cut Lawns, Shoveled Snow, Sold Vegis from the Garden.

Bid Deal when I bought My own Transistor Radio.

Slept outside in the Backyard with Friends in a Pup Tent.

Dad got Me a Bike with S&H GREENSTAMPS.

Plus Many More Things.

But Im Tired and Have to Take a Nap!!

DAMN KIDS!! :P:lol:

I'm not supposed to tell my age and I'm pushing the older than dirt level...

The sailors in my division used to say about me that "the Senior Chief is so old that he had his seabag packed and that he was sitting on the pier waiting for God to invent water."

Loved those "kids!"

Haha!! I got a 10 so I guess I'm old.... By the way... I was told I was a road guard at the crossing of the Red Sea...... Or how about, I was so old I must have pulled KP at the last supper!!!

How about driving across country on vacation while stretched out relaxing in the back dash trying to get truckers to honk their horns?!?

• Upvote 2

Haha!! I got a 10 so I guess I'm old.... By the way... I was told I was a road guard at the crossing of the Red Sea...... Or how about, I was so old I must have pulled KP at the last supper!!!

How about driving across country on vacation while stretched out relaxing in the back dash trying to get truckers to honk their horns?!?

I left out the other one. I was a mess-cook (Navy-ese for KP) on the ARK-1 and was Noah as good a Skipper as CDR (the guy we got now)?

• I remember taking a nickle down to "Dale's Market" and actually getting 5 pieces of penny candy out of that big display case.
  • When I was a couple years older, comic books were a dime.
  • And we could actually play outside without Mom or Dad right there with us every second.
  • I remember Mom dropping me off at the dentist's and when I got done I had to walk back to school. I was 7.
  • Or getting caught being bad and the neighbor spanked you just so you could get spanked again by Dad. And he'd better hear it from you before he heard it from the neighbor. Somehow it wasn't child abuse in those days.
  • What in the heck is a bicycle helmet or a car seat? Yet I made it to adulthood.
  • And every day, we put our hands over our hearts and recited the "Pledge of Allegiance."
  • And somehow we all learned to say "Yes, please, ma'am" and "No, thank you, sir."
  • Every now and then the milkman would leave us a bottle of chocolate milk. Mom claims she NEVER ordered it...

• Upvote 1

[/u]
[/b]

,, NOT
!!

Ratings at the bottom.

Candy cigarettes
Yep - remember riding to the store on my 50lb bike to get em.

That one too

Still have a few

yep - our ring was short -short-long

just missed that one

[
if you were fortunate
]) yep

7. Peashooters yep

8. Howdy Doody
just ahead of my time

45 RPM records
My dad owned a bar, and brought home the old ones from the Juke box

10.Hi-fi's records
Yep - sitll have a few - Including SSG Barry Sadlers abum with 'Ballad of the Green Beret' on it

yep - broke many a lever as a teenager

Blue flashbulb
Single bulbs as well as the 4 bulb cubes...

Cork popguns
yep - even before they added a string to the cork

Studebakers
missed out on those.

Wash tub wringers
turned a few of those

<>

If you remembered 11-15
=
You're older than dirt
!!!

[/color]
[/font]

So I'm oficially older than dirt. I was talking with a young soldier today - and found out I have an issued field jacket that is older than he is. Heck - I've been my rank longer than most of the people I work with have been in the service.

I am older then dirt

remember when bling was an RC cola cap stuck on your shirt with the inside cork seal.

Our refrigerator was called an ice box it was a galvanized lined box buried in a mound of dirt

outside which we had to put block ice in once a week.

I grew up with irons that were heated by placing them on the wood burning stove.

I grew with a wood burning cook stove a pot belly heating stove

We only time we had running water was when one of us knocked over the water bucket.

The only entertainment was AM radio

Beer cans and pop bottles were opened with the same tool,bottles on one end cans on the other.

Cake mix bought in the store had number of strokes needed to mix properly.

Curb feelers on right side of car/ push button transmission

UNLOCKED DOORS

Route 66 / oil spouts

No Surrender No Retreat and NO Compromise

I didn't really consider myself older than dirt but I remember all of these.

I also remember when we finally did get a TV I was the remote to change the channel to one of three channels.

We watched the Walton's as a whole family to see what drama was going to take place then saying goodnight to everybody in the family like Johnboy did.

We were actually allowed to play outside until dark without a care in the world AFTER we had done our chores like pulling weeds in our huge garden we had in the backyard. When we did play we made up our own games because no one had store bought toys.

One memory I have is finding a penny and walking to the store and thinking about what to buy with it because there were so many choices.

Yep....those are some great memories! I guess I'm older than dirt...and I'm glad I am. :D

Great and fun post. I guess I am officially older than dirt, but I'm definitely good with that.

Last year, my 10-year old niece received a ninth place trophy. NINTH place!!!! I don't think I would have realized any of the successes I have realized in my life if I received ninth place trophies when I was growing up.

it was a better time . we went outside for entertainment , just seeing other people was all we needed . i remember when we would or when anyone would go on vacation a few hundred miles away .. when we returned the old guys would talk and the one question was .. how was the trip .. good good .. really ,, thats good .. HOW MANY FLATS DID YA HAVE ... LOL FLAT TIRES .. we used to get flats all the time before the steel belted radials .. our mufflers would fal off alot .. our cars would have rust all over them .. we would just putty them up sand them down and paint with primer ..lol. id get all dressed up with my bell bottom pants . wide belt and pointed beatle shoes .. wet my hair down and comb it to the side with the ricky ricardo flip on the front ... and we got our butts smacked for disaplin . and the buys would fight hand to hand ,, we had to be strong .. not an internet slap down with words . when men were men .. not sissys .. women liked men not sissys . now they seem to like passive sissy types .

Guess I'm older than dirt cause I did em all.

Also add push starter on the floor to start the car all the while holding the clutch in and your foot on the brake.

TG. Yep a bath on Sat. nights sitting in a copper tub getting hot water from a kettle on the wood stove.

The out house with newspaper or catalog for reading and .......

New England winters were harh so outhouse duties were quick, no reading

Glad to be in awesome company.

Well, I remember having to turn on the key, and then push the car as fast as you could get it to roll, preferably down hill, then pop the clutch and hope you could get it started, and the paper we took to the out house wasn't for reading! LOL

• Upvote 1