Guest views are now limited to 12 pages. If you get an "Error" message, just sign in! If you need to create an account, click here.

• CRYPTO REWARDS!

Full endorsement on this opportunity - but it's limited, so get in while you can!

Fall is Hunting Season

RodandStaff

Ahhh... Ski... didn't you read my caption... the bacon is Cisole... ya know we gotta give the ol' boy a hard time come RV time... we have been threatening him for a while now... kinda like if you don't drink but when you win the big one you spray Champagne all over the place!!! It's just an ceremonial thingy... ya can't let the ol' boy off the hook that easy!!! rolleyes.gif

I read your caption. I see that your giving Cisole a hard time. Your kind of funny. My point is that hunting is a food source to me and others. Thinning of the heard is also important to control populations. I'm cool with hunting and fishing. You kill it or catch it, you eat it or donate the meat to families that need the food source. I'm a tree hugger with a Native American slant, what can I say :D.

• Upvote 2

Texas is big on hunting...I grew up with a rifle in my hand down in S. Texas. Just a way of life. With that said, I don't hunt near as much as I used too...mellowing out in my old age I suppose. One of the cool things around here during hunting season is the Hunters for the Hungry program...a lot of free game (mainly venison) is donated to butchers who in turn process the meat for poor people. Gotta love that.

post-38162-1348189133_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 4

Maybe it's the cavewoman in me, but there's not much that's sexier than a man that hunts! wub.gif

I'm with you Snotrocket, I'm guilty has charged, a man in nature just make's me wub.gifwub.gif .

And besides we women have a couple a free days to pamper ourselves.

RodandStaff, does road kill count, I've hit a few with my car. biggrin.gif

• Upvote 2

I'm with you Snotrocket, I'm guilty has charged, a man in nature just make's me wub.gifwub.gif .

LOL Pattyangel you are too funny!!! A man in the woods is sexy to me if he's shooting with a camera.... :D

The only hunter in my family is my Golden Retriever...he's big on those rabbits that find their way into our yard.... :P

And yes, I am also guilty of hitting a rodent of sorts on the city streets. Damn thing broke my front license plate frame...I think it was a raccoon...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Sometimes road kill is the best kind... you don't have to spend days in the tree stand freezing the tush... it is hard to cough up the chaching for the vehicle repair bill though!!! rolleyes.gif One time a friend of mine hit a young doe with a flat snow plow... he had to put the deer out of it's misery, but he didn't have time to process it so he gave it to me... it resulted in hardly any wasted meat... and let me tell you... unexpected and tender meat is the best by far!!! wink.gif

And guys...with some of the ladies weighing in it looks like being a woodsman can rate right up there with being a "sexy beast"... who knew??? laugh.gif

• Upvote 2

I read your caption. I see that your giving Cisole a hard time. Your kind of funny. My point is that hunting is a food source to me and others. Thinning of the heard is also important to control populations. I'm cool with hunting and fishing. You kill it or catch it, you eat it or donate the meat to families that need the food source. I'm a tree hugger with a Native American slant, what can I say :D.

I understand dear... and thanks for putting up with my quirky sense of humor... it's just that Thug and the rest of us have been teasing Cisole for so long it's gotta almost be pay day!!! rolleyes.gif I hear ya on the rest as well, I only like to kill what I can eat... or what is killing my critters (raccoon's are hell in a hen house), as for the respect for the land... I would say most outdoor hunting types have a fairly high level of respect for the land... unfortunately there are always a few rotten apples in every bunch. The one's that I always hung with had a high level of respect... and even when the State Officials said there was a surplus of deer, if we knew there wasn't we would lay off the hunting a bit. Those "experts" don't always have it right. Someone who spends a lot of time in the woods or farmers know what the deer populations really are, and the further north you go the worse the winter kill gets during a harsh winter. As a youth one harsh winter in Northern Wisconsin we trudged through snow nearly up to our waist's to cut down young sapling trees for the deer to eat... they had already striped everything bare as high as they could reach. I didn't see any anti-hunters out there trying to feed the deer that winter either. The fact is, a well managed herd is actually much larger today than when the first white settlers showed up... the deer have more to eat thanks to farmers. wink.gif

• Upvote 2

Sometimes road kill is the best kind... you don't have to spend days in the tree stand freezing the tush... it is hard to cough up the chaching for the vehicle repair bill though!!! rolleyes.gif One time a friend of mine hit a young doe with a flat snow plow... he had to put the deer out of it's misery, but he didn't have time to process it so he gave it to me... it resulted in hardly any wasted meat... and let me tell you... unexpected and tender meat is the best by far!!! wink.gif

And guys...with some of the ladies weighing in it looks like being a woodsman can rate right up there with being a "sexy beast"... who knew??? laugh.gif

ROFL at roadkill. Food so fresh it still has the surprised look on it's face!! :P:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yep, we feed them here too, food plots, and in winters of heavy snow I take our bobcat out with the snowblower and open up about 2 miles along our woods and spread corn and soybeans down in it with the kids for the deer, turkeys, squirrels, etc.

Edited by DiveDeepSix
  • Upvote 1

Texas is big on hunting...I grew up with a rifle in my hand down in S. Texas. Just a way of life. With that said, I don't hunt near as much as I used too...mellowing out in my old age I suppose. One of the cool things around here during hunting season is the Hunters for the Hungry program...a lot of free game (mainly venison) is donated to butchers who in turn process the meat for poor people. Gotta love that.

post-38162-1348189133_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the info Klik. The Hunters for Hungry sounds like a great program. You Kill it you share it. Hunt on peeps. :D

• Upvote 1

I understand dear... and thanks for putting up with my quirky sense of humor... it's just that Thug and the rest of us have been teasing Cisole for so long it's gotta almost be pay day!!! rolleyes.gif I hear ya on the rest as well, I only like to kill what I can eat... or what is killing my critters (raccoon's are hell in a hen house), as for the respect for the land... I would say most outdoor hunting types have a fairly high level of respect for the land... unfortunately there are always a few rotten apples in every bunch. The one's that I always hung with had a high level of respect... and even when the State Officials said there was a surplus of deer, if we knew there wasn't we would lay off the hunting a bit. Those "experts" don't always have it right. Someone who spends a lot of time in the woods or farmers know what the deer populations really are, and the further north you go the worse the winter kill gets during a harsh winter. As a youth one harsh winter in Northern Wisconsin we trudged through snow nearly up to our waist's to cut down young sapling trees for the deer to eat... they had already striped everything bare as high as they could reach. I didn't see any anti-hunters out there trying to feed the deer that winter either. The fact is, a well managed herd is actually much larger today than when the first white settlers showed up... the deer have more to eat thanks to farmers. wink.gif

Same here buddy, my kids understand that as well, if you kill it you better be ready to eat it!! That's why I don't hunt ducks anymore, they taste like the bottom of a bird cage! :lol:

The only good duck recipe I could find was to put cream of mushroom soup, wild rice, and duck in a crock pot, let it cook all day, throw the duck away and eat the rice and soup!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

• Upvote 1

Hunting for sport makes me ill. Why kill a creature unless you need the food source. The concept seems rather arrogant to me.

Ski i agree to a certain extent i think it all boils down to where and how you have grown up. I live in california central so many dont hunt around here unless they were kinda born into it, some do take up as a hobby but mostly family tradition i have been hunting before and it wasnt for me but to eaches own i suppose.

• Upvote 1

This guy shot a nice elk in N. Dakota, took his picture on a timer, and about had

a heart attack when he downloaded it the next morning.

I would say that is one lucky hunter... twice over!!! blink.gif

385033_348501495164905_473181424_n.jpg

298787_299209380094117_264151862_n.jpgunsure.gif

Speaking of bringing home the Cisole!!! rolleyes.gif

378735_514194061928980_1841161217_n.jpg

Someone who might be good in a big White House!!! wink.gif

199016_508595785822141_132469952_n.jpg

bacon, eggs and a pistol, does it get any better? i think not laugh.gif

• Upvote 2

Ski i agree to a certain extent i think it all boils down to where and how you have grown up. I live in california central so many dont hunt around here unless they were kinda born into it, some do take up as a hobby but mostly family tradition i have been hunting before and it wasnt for me but to eaches own i suppose.

I live in Texas. The arrogance of the hunters in my state is overwhelming to me, deer season in particular. I'm cool with hunting for the sake of food. Killing animals for the purpose of target practice and some odd dominance is difficult to me.

Hunting for sport makes me ill. Why kill a creature unless you need the food source. The concept seems rather arrogant to me.

Like I've said before Ski, and I'm not here to argue, but the tradition of hunting has connected people to the land for thousands of years. Just like a gardener who grows their own vegetables when it's much easier to just go buy the lesser quality veggies in the grocery store. Why not just buy the nice little packages of meat in the grocery store? huh.gif A couple of reason's come to mind, but remember, your not dealing with "modern thinking"... your dealing with tradition. An animal has to give up it's life in order for us to eat meat... and people can see the hunters lining the roads, or driving through town with a deer in the back of the pick up and think "oh how awful". Yet the same folks will go to the grocery store and buy meat that hasn't been able to walk more than 100 yards from where it was born it's whole life... raised in pens, and slaughtered without really experiencing "a full life". I love a quote from Joel Salatine (owner of Polyface Farms) who said this... "our animals have a wonderful life... and one bad day". He does it with domestic animals. The hunter harvest's their meat from the wild... the ultimate free range full life an animal can have before becoming part of the table spread.

We have never had such a "disconnect" to our ecological cycle like we have now. We think our meat comes with a bar code, and our veggies have a bar code... we have forgot the origins. And our modern society thinks it's vulgar and crass to see bloody meat, or someone skinning a carcass from their harvest. We have lost touch with the land, the cycle that it takes to bring food to the table. We just go down and buy it, and think if anyone who doesn't do the same is backwards and what's the word you used... arrogant??? Please don't say that with your mouth full... because no matter where your meat comes from, or your veggies come from... you can be sure somebody had to either raise them or harvest them in one form or fashion. Hunters are just staying in touch with their roots that's all. They are not being hypocritical of the necessary process that it takes to bring meat to the table. They are also upholding the ancient practice of families going out to hunt together for their food source. Yes... some of the hunters are more interested in drinking their beer than they are in the actual hunt, but from my experience they are the exception and not the rule. Those guys just want an excuse just to get away from home and the wife. Although I have enjoyed many hunting trips with "the guys"... it has never been about the "escaping from my responsibilities" that has mainly drawn me, but rather the reconnecting to my roots that has kept me coming back year after year.

I am not trying to convince ya'll to think like me... just trying to ask that you think outside the modern box that folks have been most recently trained to think in. It hasn't been until the last 50 or 60 years that we have developed this form of thinking. Hunters have thousands of years of experience bringing home the meat to feed their families. It's only the modern ways of thinking that has brought any kind of "shame based" mentality upon the hunter and what they do. Be careful now, as many authors have put it, we live in such a fragile state thinking this is how life works, this is the way it will always work. Modern food supplies only stock approximately three days of food in the grocery store. If their is any kind of interruption in that supply there will be bare shelves... and then what will you eat??? unsure.gif Yup... it's those who stay connected to the land that will go from "zero to hero" in a heartbeat if that ever happens. Until then they face ridicule because they are viewed as backwards or vulgar... when they are just keeping the knowledge and craft of food harvesting and preservation alive. Some day you may owe your life to a hunter or farmer that supplies those resources without a bar code.... so as the saying in farm country goes... be careful not to criticize the farmer (or hunter) with your mouth full!!! wink.gif

• Upvote 4

Like I've said before Ski, and I'm not here to argue, but the tradition of hunting has connected people to the land for thousands of years. Just like a gardener who grows their own vegetables when it's much easier to just go buy the lesser quality veggies in the grocery store. Why not just buy the nice little packages of meat in the grocery store? huh.gif A couple of reason's come to mind, but remember, your not dealing with "modern thinking"... your dealing with tradition. An animal has to give up it's life in order for us to eat meat... and people can see the hunters lining the roads, or driving through town with a deer in the back of the pick up and think "oh how awful". Yet the same folks will go to the grocery store and buy meat that hasn't been able to walk more than 100 yards from where it was born it's whole life... raised in pens, and slaughtered without really experiencing "a full life". I love a quote from Joel Salatine (owner of Polyface Farms) who said this... "our animals have a wonderful life... and one bad day". He does it with domestic animals. The hunter harvest's their meat from the wild... the ultimate free range full life an animal can have before becoming part of the table spread.

We have never had such a "disconnect" to our ecological cycle like we have now. We think our meat comes with a bar code, and our veggies have a bar code... we have forgot the origins. And our modern society thinks it's vulgar and crass to see bloody meat, or someone skinning a carcass from their harvest. We have lost touch with the land, the cycle that it takes to bring food to the table. We just go down and buy it, and think if anyone who doesn't do the same is backwards and what's the word you used... arrogant??? Please don't say that with your mouth full... because no matter where your meat comes from, or your veggies come from... you can be sure somebody had to either raise them or harvest them in one form or fashion. Hunters are just staying in touch with their roots that's all. They are not being hypocritical of the necessary process that it takes to bring meat to the table. They are also upholding the ancient practice of families going out to hunt together for their food source. Yes... some of the hunters are more interested in drinking their beer than they are in the actual hunt, but from my experience they are the exception and not the rule. Those guys just want an excuse just to get away from home and the wife. Although I have enjoyed many hunting trips with "the guys"... it has never been about the "escaping from my responsibilities" that has mainly drawn me, but rather the reconnecting to my roots that has kept me coming back year after year.

I am not trying to convince ya'll to think like me... just trying to ask that you think outside the modern box that folks have been most recently trained to think in. It hasn't been until the last 50 or 60 years that we have developed this form of thinking. Hunters have thousands of years of experience bringing home the meat to feed their families. It's only the modern ways of thinking that has brought any kind of "shame based" mentality upon the hunter and what they do. Be careful now, as many authors have put it, we live in such a fragile state thinking this is how life works, this is the way it will always work. Modern food supplies only stock approximately three days of food in the grocery store. If their is any kind of interruption in that supply there will be bare shelves... and then what will you eat??? unsure.gif Yup... it's those who stay connected to the land that will go from "zero to hero" in a heartbeat if that ever happens. Until then they face ridicule because they are viewed as backwards or vulgar... when they are just keeping the knowledge and craft of food harvesting and preservation alive. Some day you may owe your life to a hunter or farmer that supplies those resources without a bar code.... so as the saying in farm country goes... be careful not to criticize the farmer (or hunter) with your mouth full!!! wink.gif

Ski....I just want to thank you for your comment...without it, RodandStaff might not have felt compelled to speak this truth. Very well said, Rod.....just beautiful! Truer words have never been spoken. It's time to get back to basics....and it doesn't get anymore basic than knowing how to feed yourself and your family. Thank you, Rod :)

• Upvote 2

Damn, How did I miss this thread?? Must have been the Rugby game I went to yesterday. U.S.A. vs. Canada. I don't know how those guys get out of bed the next day!! U.S.A. 36 / Canada 14 !!!!

Man I can't wait to get up to our N.Y. State Farm for Turkey hunting in a couple weeks, right into Deer season. Lot of Bears around now though, you don't want to be taking a walk in the woods without that Shotgun or that 270 Winchester,

I'm with you Rodandstaff, when things get bad, and I believe they will, the only way to feed the family will be to live off the land. I've got a good size property in CT. with a lot of game on it but all that game will disappear if things get tough. Even moving up to N.Y. State is probably too close to the major population centers. Your NOT going to want to be around other people if you can help it, sorry to say.

• Upvote 3